Now for something completely different

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

So there are no flights out of China to other countries until January 8th?

The news websites say that China is allowing its citizens to travel overseas from January 8th, so that indicates there are no flights. We can only hope that the restrictions imposed by several countries are in time to prevent widespread infections but it won't catch everyone who is infected.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The news websites say that China is allowing its citizens to travel overseas from January 8th, so that indicates there are no flights. We can only hope that the restrictions imposed by several countries are in time to prevent widespread infections but it won't catch everyone who is infected.

My home is in Canberra, home of diplomatic missions to Australia, many of them in my own suburb, including the Chinese Embassy.Β  Accredited diplomatic staff are, by convention, free to travel from their home countries to their overseas missions (which is as it should be, btw).Β  Covid has not, so far, obeyed health protocols.Β  It only takes one or two cases, and we're back to the future.Β  I want to make it crystal clear that I would have the same reservations about travellers from any country trying to contain an outbreak.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

My home is in Canberra, home of diplomatic missions to Australia, many of them in my own suburb, including the Chinese Embassy.Β  Accredited diplomatic staff are, by convention, free to travel from their home countries to their overseas missions (which is as it should be, btw).Β  Covid has not, so far, obeyed health protocols.Β  It only takes one or two cases, and we're back to the future.Β  I want to make it crystal clear that I would have the same reservations about travellers from any country trying to contain an outbreak.

I agree with your comment that you would have the same reservations about travellers from any country trying to contain an outbreak. So would I. I recall that in 2020 when restrictions were imposed on travellers from China, the government was accused of being racist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

You couldn't be more correct, Lyle.Β  I agree with every word.Β  Β Have things warmed up a little in your neck of the woods?

Β 

Yes the snow is gone and it is a balmy 5 degrees celsius. There have been several very high tides recently that have caused flooding in some areas when combined with the rapid snow melt and rain. Not nearly as bad as it was in 2021 though.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Β 

Yes the snow is gone and it is a balmy 5 degrees celsius. There have been several very high tides recently that have caused flooding in some areas when combined with the rapid snow melt and rain. Not nearly as bad as it was in 2021 though.

A balmy 5, eh?πŸ˜‚. Flooding not so funny; Β we’re having our share and more in Australia this year. At the moment, the Murray Darling river system is in full flight, with the town of Menindee in our usually more than not dry expanse of western New South Wales evacuating as the waters of the Darling rise. Β It would be terrible for you now, combined with the cold temperatures. Β Hope you’re both well.

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

A balmy 5, eh?πŸ˜‚. Flooding not so funny; Β we’re having our share and more in Australia this year. At the moment, the Murray Darling river system is in full flight, with the town of Menindee in our usually more than not dry expanse of western New South Wales evacuating as the waters of the Darling rise. Β It would be terrible for you now, combined with the cold temperatures. Β Hope you’re both well.

Β 

We are doing fine thanks. Flooding is not a problem for us, we live on a hill. They just completed several new water control measures on our road so that made the possibility of flooding on our road even less likely. When we eventually sell this place we will be aware of flooding and snow issues when looking for a new place. A short driveway with a gentle slope away from the house and a snow blower in the garage.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Β 

We are doing fine thanks. Flooding is not a problem for us, we live on a hill. They just completed several new water control measures on our road so that made the possibility of flooding on our road even less likely. When we eventually sell this place we will be aware of flooding and snow issues when looking for a new place. A short driveway with a gentle slope away from the house and a snow blower in the garage.

That criteria seems very sensibleπŸ™‚

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

6.00pm 7News bulletin last night showed passengers arriving from China.Β  One traveller interviewed said they were happy to have arrived before the January 5 deadline.Β  Conversely, though, our Chief Medical Officer and former Deputy Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Coatsworth) believes the government's new screening protocol will take us in the incorrect direction, and we should all be learning to live with Covid as a normal part of our lives.Β  Both emphasise that our high level of vaccination is the ultimate protection against serious adverse reactions to the virus.Β  I have tremendous respect for Nick Coatsworth in particular, so maybe I should be reviewing my reservations.

Just now, Mareblu said:

6.00pm 7News bulletin last night showed passengers arriving from China.Β  One traveller interviewed said they were happy to have arrived before the January 5 deadline.Β  Conversely, though, our Chief Medical Officer and former Deputy Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Coatsworth) believes the government's new screening protocol will take us in the incorrect direction, and we should all be learning to live with Covid as a normal part of our lives.Β  Both emphasise that our high level of vaccination is the ultimate protection against serious adverse reactions to the virus.Β  I have tremendous respect for Nick Coatsworth in particular, so maybe I should be reviewing my reservations.

Interesting that Chinese tourists are arriving now. I still think requiring a COVID test on these tourists is the way to go although I agree with your comment about Nick Coatsworth.

56 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Interesting that Chinese tourists are arriving now. I still think requiring a COVID test on these tourists is the way to go although I agree with your comment about Nick Coatsworth.

There are three flights from Hong Kong due in Sydney today and two in Melbourne.Β 

I am finally able to get my 2nd booster for covid and also my flu shot. I was scheduled for my booster back in October but of course I contracted covid 3 days before so no booster, that was 3 months ago. I get both shots next Tuesday. I think that the testing of travelers coming from hot zones is justified whether that is China or Europe or anywhere. I also think it is better for everyone to get vaccinated as required and live life with the virus as best we can. Lynn and I both had covid and many of my friends have as well. I think many of us on the thread have also had covid and most of us have come through with only mild symptoms.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

It is one of those situations where no matter which way they go about half the population will disagree and I expect about 40% will disagree along party lines.

I don't think this is a political issue. Β It is a health issue.Β 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It should indeed be solely a health issue.Β  I'm an issues person, and that's how I vote.Β  I don't follow the lines of any political party.Β  Health has become such a major issue, and opinions and decisions, and most of all, expert advice, should all be weighed carefully and responsibly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Β 

Unfortunately it has turned into a political issue in pretty much every country, some more than others.

Like every issue, Lyle, sadly.Β  We seem to live in divided communities these days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

But just about all health issues where it concerns a whole population of a country becomes a political issue unfortunately Marion.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

There are three flights from Hong Kong due in Sydney today and two in Melbourne.Β 

I wonder how many have covid, perhaps some are going on a cruiseship.

Aaaaagh.😷

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

At least they will have to present a negative COVID test if they want to go on a cruiseship.

And hopefully all cruise ships are smart enough now to hold mandatory RAT screening on the third day or so like Westerdam did.

• Like 1