Now for something completely different

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

When was that Marion? The last big fires in Australia that we needed help from Canada were in December and January 2019-2020 and the last time Australia sent firefighters to Canada was in July 2021. 

It got big publicity at the time because both

countries took for granted being able to share equipment and staff!

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

When was that Marion? The last big fires in Australia that we needed help from Canada were in December and January 2019-2020 and the last time Australia sent firefighters to Canada was in July 2021. 

Sorry Leigh I’m travelling in a car but thought it was relatively recently.

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It got big publicity at the time because both

countries took for granted being able to share equipment and staff!

Sorry, I can find nothing about for 2022. If you are talking about fire fighting aircraft, most aircraft are now leased from Australian companies and we don't have to be reliant on overseas aircraft being available. The pilots are also Australian, usually from a military or outback background.

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, I can find nothing about for 2022. If you are talking about fire fighting aircraft, most aircraft are now leased from Australian companies and we don't have to be reliant on overseas aircraft being available. The pilots are also Australian, usually from a military or outback background.

I'm not sure Leigh but I think a Vancouver Island based company called Coulson Aviation lost an aircraft while fighting fire in Western Australia earlier this year. I'm not sure if the crew was Canadian or Australian. But I would think that we would be getting our firefighters going through pre-season training about now. I would think with our history of helping each other out that during the off season in Oz experienced Australian wildfire fighters who want to work here would be very welcome.

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure Leigh but I think a Vancouver Island based company called Coulson Aviation lost an aircraft while fighting fire in Western Australia earlier this year. I'm not sure if the crew was Canadian or Australian. But I would think that we would be getting our firefighters going through pre-season training about now. I would think with our history of helping each other out that during the off season in Oz experienced Australian wildfire fighters who want to work here would be very welcome.

Yes you are correct Lyle, it was February this year. Luckily the crew came away with with fairly minor injuries. The preliminary report into the crash was released last week. The aircraft was originally delivered to Southeast Airlines in latw 1995 and retired as a commercial aircraft in 2017 when it was purchased by Coulson. It didn't start operatiing as a fire fighting tanker until mid 2022 and was under contract from Coulson to the Australian Government when the crash occurred. 

In January 2020 three American crew were killed when another Coulson plane crashed in the Snowy Mountains in NSW.  Coulson has an operations base in Australia at Bankstown Airport NSW.

I'm sure experienced firefighters would be welcome here too Lyle. In fact I know in Victoria, the government employs seasonal firefighters each fire season. 

In 

• Like 2

OK Cruisers, I was in my local Bunnings yesterday, a rare trip out for me these days. Anyway, at the checkouts they had a pile of RAT's tests, with a sign 'free - limit 4 pp.  I was told by checkout chick that the Western Australian Government had ordered zillions of RAT's tests, many of which are now nearing expiry date and to get rid of them they donated loads to Bunnings.  Now are any of your local Bunnings stores giving them away? Handy for those cruising soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

OK Cruisers, I was in my local Bunnings yesterday, a rare trip out for me these days. Anyway, at the checkouts they had a pile of RAT's tests, with a sign 'free - limit 4 pp.  I was told by checkout chick that the Western Australian Government had ordered zillions of RAT's tests, many of which are now nearing expiry date and to get rid of them they donated loads to Bunnings.  Now are any of your local Bunnings stores giving them away? Handy for those cruising soon.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I will check it out at our local Bunnings.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Glad you had an outing to Bunnings. Thanks Ill check out my local Bunnings

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Pleased to know you were out and about, Les.  Bunnings?  It must have been a dire necessity😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Pleased to know you were out and about, Les.  Bunnings?  It must have been a dire necessity😄

Not for the free RATs Linda, bits and pieces for toilet cisterns and a couple of shower hoses.

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not for the free RATs Linda, bits and pieces for toilet cisterns and a couple of shower hoses.

They are indeed necessities, Les.  I read a few days ago that WA had massively over-ordered rats, and that the use-by date made donating them a wise idea.  Hope you’re coping ok💜

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

They are indeed necessities, Les.  I read a few days ago that WA had massively over-ordered rats, and that the use-by date made donating them a wise idea.  Hope you’re coping ok💜

Hormone injections and chemo tabs knocking me around Linda. But still breathing.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hormone injections and chemo tabs knocking me around Linda. But still breathing.

To hear you are still breathing as you say is welcome news but I can empathise with the chemo tabs - can be quite debilitating. Hope things are bearable.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Our remedy was the radical surgery.  Early diagnosis, so we were lucky.  Also had the St Vincent’s maestro who pioneered nerve-sparing surgery.  All treatments are onerous, but we know you have such a strong spirit.   Keep breathing Les.  We’re all on this journey with you💜

• Like 4

Is Mother's Day celebrated in Canada on the same day as the US and Australia, last Sunday?

We enjoyed a High Tea at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park, such a beautiful place.  They feed the wild birds outside plus in a protected area outside the dining room.  We were lucky to see a Satin Bowerbird here.

They have a shuttle bus to take guests to Binna Burra on Saturdays, where guests can walk then back to O'Reilly's.  I did that beautiful day walk years ago.

Be warned the road up to O'Reilly's is still really bad.  My daughter was stressed and resigned from any future drives up the mountain.  Fortunately there is a taxi which takes guests up the mountain as I'd like to stay for a few days there once again. 

Do they have high tea on ships for Mother's Day?

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mother's day is today Sunday the 14th this year. Lynn's mom is in hospital so we brought "tea" for her. Just some nice pastries and we brought her favorite tea and hot water to make a fresh cuppa for her.

What a lovely surprise!  Was Lynn’s mother happy with her tea ?

I havent seen any free RATS in SA (but havent been looking either) but they are certainly available cheaply and easily everywhere now.

Whereas when we went to Norfolk Island in Jan 2022, and RATS or PCR was a pre requisite for entering, I had to search high and low to find any and chemists etc had waiting lists.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Is Mother's Day celebrated in Canada on the same day as the US and Australia, last Sunday?

We enjoyed a High Tea at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park, such a beautiful place.  They feed the wild birds outside plus in a protected area outside the dining room.  We were lucky to see a Satin Bowerbird here.

They have a shuttle bus to take guests to Binna Burra on Saturdays, where guests can walk then back to O'Reilly's.  I did that beautiful day walk years ago.

Be warned the road up to O'Reilly's is still really bad.  My daughter was stressed and resigned from any future drives up the mountain.  Fortunately there is a taxi which takes guests up the mountain as I'd like to stay for a few days there once again. 

Do they have high tea on ships for Mother's Day?

What a lovely experience for Mother’s Day, although the taxi sounds wise.  We are so fortunate to have a nesting family of satin bower birds in our garden.  Their bower nest is cleverly constructed on the ground, and the male, who resembles the female in colouring until sporting his blue-black glossy feathers at maturity, collects blue coloured “trinkets” in his bower to attract and impress the female.  Nit sure if this is a young male ir female looking in my window near the pond.  They are mesmerising to watch, as they hop everywhere when not in flight.

IMG_4312.jpeg

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mother's day is today Sunday the 14th this year. Lynn's mom is in hospital so we brought "tea" for her. Just some nice pastries and we brought her favorite tea and hot water to make a fresh cuppa for her.

A delightful gesture on Mother’s Day, Lisle.  Hope hour m-in-l is soon home and well.  I’m sure she truly appreciated and enjoyed her special “tea”.

22 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

What a lovely experience for Mother’s Day, although the taxi sounds wise.  We are so fortunate to have a nesting family of satin bower birds in our garden.  Their bower nest is cleverly constructed on the ground, and the male, who resembles the female in colouring until sporting his blue-black glossy feathers at maturity, collects blue coloured “trinkets” in his bower to attract and impress the female.  Nit sure if this is a young male ir female looking in my window near the pond.  They are mesmerising to watch, as they hop everywhere when not in flight.

IMG_4312.jpeg

Wow you are so lucky to have a bower in your yard, as they are such fascinating birds.  Binna Burra used to have a bower near the accommodation.  I hope he was successful finding a partner as I’ve never seen such an interesting variety of blue things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I havent seen any free RATS in SA (but havent been looking either) but they are certainly available cheaply and easily everywhere now.

Whereas when we went to Norfolk Island in Jan 2022, and RATS or PCR was a pre requisite for entering, I had to search high and low to find any and chemists etc had waiting lists.

Victoria currently has free RATS, Available through libraries.

They are available as up to 2 boxes per person. However, the expiration dates are rather close.

I went to the local library on Saturday to pick up some more. Expire in July.

They May have surplus stock as they were offering more above the limit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Victoria currently has free RATS, Available through libraries.

They are available as up to 2 boxes per person. However, the expiration dates are rather close.

I went to the local library on Saturday to pick up some more. Expire in July.

They May have surplus stock as they were offering more above the limit.

I went to our library and obtained four boxes a few weeks ago but have used a fair few as we have both had Covid in the past couple of weeks.

38 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I went to our library and obtained four boxes a few weeks ago but have used a fair few as we have both had Covid in the past couple of weeks.

Hoping you and Rob are well again.  The virus affects us all so differently 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Hoping you and Rob are well again.  The virus affects us all so differently 

Thanks Linda, we are fine now. Fortunately we were prescribed anti-virals which shortened our symptom and positve times.

• Like 2