Now for something completely different

49 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Last night a ceiling fell in, at my son's house, from water that had "seeped" through a couple of cracked terracotta roof tiles during the storm last night. The insulation bats had soaked up the water until they were too heavy for the ceiling to hold.

Spent most of the day doing an insurance claim and talking to insurance company reps to get the damage assessed.  An emergency repairer was supposed to come today to temporarily stop further water ingress but failed to turn up. Will be coming tomorrow instead. Assessor will be coming next week.

We can empathise and sympathise with your son’s disastrous experience.  We have endured similar.  Be prepared for a bit of a journey before insurer and its nominated contractors finally deliver his home repaired and renewed.  Our very best wishes, and hoping all is resolved really quickly.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Last night a ceiling fell in, at my son's house, from water that had "seeped" through a couple of cracked terracotta roof tiles during the storm last night. The insulation bats had soaked up the water until they were too heavy for the ceiling to hold.

Spent most of the day doing an insurance claim and talking to insurance company reps to get the damage assessed.  An emergency repairer was supposed to come today to temporarily stop further water ingress but failed to turn up. Will be coming tomorrow instead. Assessor will be coming next week.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Our son endured that same scenario quite some years ago after a similar tremendously destructive storm.  Our very best wishes to him for a swift resolution and repair.  Very trying experience.  Stay “family strong”💜

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

My friends, you are in for a treat, my son, his wife and two teenage daughters were on Ocean Victory last month, they had a great time.  From my son who has now been on it it twice, checking things for the company, the food is very good and the vessel handled Drake Passage well. The ice landings were great. Enjoy your adventure.

BON VOYAGE

Well we have made it to Chile…. Now waiting for our flight to BA

• Like 6

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Hope your son's ceiling issues are sorted and fixed very soon Lyndon. Dealing with insurance companies is very frustrating. Good luck.

We had a drama on Tuesday morning returning home after visting my father and brother for a few days in SW Vic. Coming through a dual laned roundabout, a car in the left lane decided to turn right from that lane and hit us on the left front and didn't stop. Fortunately car was drivable so we pulled over to the LHS of the highway to inspect damage, assuming the other car would come back which it didn't. Husband spotted it driving into the BP truck stop on the other side of the roundabout. By the time we were able to turn around and drive back, the other vehicle had disappeared. The staff at the BP service centre kindly checked their cameras but unfortunately couldn't get a rego number. I rang the local police station and we had to attend to give details. Unfortunately, the police didn't have any luck in finding the vehicle. So I will have to pay excess and can't get my car fixed until just before Easter.

3 hours ago, packetau said:

Well we have made it to Chile…. Now waiting for our flight to BA

Hope you don't have a long wait/can use the Lounge.  We could use the lounge on way over, but not on the way back.  With a five hour wait on Christmas Day, I was able to talk my way in to the lounge on a quiet day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Hope your son's ceiling issues are sorted and fixed very soon Lyndon. Dealing with insurance companies is very frustrating. Good luck.

We had a drama on Tuesday morning returning home after visting my father and brother for a few days in SW Vic. Coming through a dual laned roundabout, a car in the left lane decided to turn right from that lane and hit us on the left front and didn't stop. Fortunately car was drivable so we pulled over to the LHS of the highway to inspect damage, assuming the other car would come back which it didn't. Husband spotted it driving into the BP truck stop on the other side of the roundabout. By the time we were able to turn around and drive back, the other vehicle had disappeared. The staff at the BP service centre kindly checked their cameras but unfortunately couldn't get a rego number. I rang the local police station and we had to attend to give details. Unfortunately, the police didn't have any luck in finding the vehicle. So I will have to pay excess and can't get my car fixed until just before Easter.

That’s just terrible, Leigh.  The shock of the collision is compounded by this heartless negligence, not forgetting leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.  Best wishes to you both💜

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

That’s just terrible, Leigh.  The shock of the collision is compounded by this heartless negligence, not forgetting leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.  Best wishes to you both💜

Thank you Linda. We're both fine, a little shaken at the time but were able to continue on home. I had an email from the police officer we spoke to and she had sent a van out to view the camera footage at the truck stop but they couldn't pick up anything to help us. She did say that the other vehicle had not come back through town (Colac), so was probably a traveller and not a local.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have front and back dashcams,  just for that possibility.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear of your car accident, Leigh.  What a shock!  Glad you weren't hurt, but sorry the driver didn't stop.  While we were at the Chinchilla Melon Festival recently, our dog jumped the dog sitter's fence and was hit by a car, which didn't stop  A lovely lady in a taxi saw what happened and stopped and rescued our dog from the road.  She phoned my younger daughter in Vic. and me and we contacted the dog sitter who was nearby.  She rushed dog to Vet Hospital.  Example of the worst and best of people!  

• Like 2

OMG, Leigh, how can people do that! I'm so glad neither of you was injured andvthe car was still driveable. Would it be worth trying to contact the local council to see if they have a community website or FB page that you could use to ask if anyone witness that appalling piece if driving. You might be lucky, someone may have noted the rego.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

OMG, Leigh, how can people do that! I'm so glad neither of you was injured andvthe car was still driveable. Would it be worth trying to contact the local council to see if they have a community website or FB page that you could use to ask if anyone witness that appalling piece if driving. You might be lucky, someone may have noted the rego.

Unfortunately Julie, even though it is a main road/highway, there weren't any other vehicles who came through around the time of the accident. 

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

So sorry to hear of your car accident, Leigh.  What a shock!  Glad you weren't hurt, but sorry the driver didn't stop.  While we were at the Chinchilla Melon Festival recently, our dog jumped the dog sitter's fence and was hit by a car, which didn't stop  A lovely lady in a taxi saw what happened and stopped and rescued our dog from the road.  She phoned my younger daughter in Vic. and me and we contacted the dog sitter who was nearby.  She rushed dog to Vet Hospital.  Example of the worst and best of people!  

Thank you Marion. Hope your dog is ok. You were fortunate that someone stopped and helped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thank you Marion. Hope your dog is ok. You were fortunate that someone stopped and helped.

Thank you Leigh.  Dog was in intensive care as she had trouble breathing because of trauma to her lungs.  We now have her home in a new cage and a dog pram and are hoping for the best.  

That is a long wait for repairs until just before Easter.  I hope repairer gives you a discount seeing you have to pay the excess.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 9:11 PM, NSWP said:

Yes Gaz and Jo, it is a long haul to Ushie from Straya. Three flights. Enjoy your adventure.

We still have a 4th flight to go to get us to Ushie…..  hope your son has warned them that there are 3 bus loads of aussies here at the hotel….  To Make sure they have plenty of beer and tea bags 😂 

had a great full day in BA yesterday and today we are doing a cruise down the Tigre…. Pretty hot here… early morning tomorrow and heading to the airport for our flight to Ushuaia 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you Leigh.  Dog was in intensive care as she had trouble breathing because of trauma to her lungs.  We now have her home in a new cage and a dog pram and are hoping for the best.  

That is a long wait for repairs until just before Easter.  I hope repairer gives you a discount seeing you have to pay the excess.

Poor dog. I hope she recovers. Give her a big pat from me!

1 hour ago, packetau said:

We still have a 4th flight to go to get us to Ushie…..  hope your son has warned them that there are 3 bus loads of aussies here at the hotel….  To Make sure they have plenty of beer and tea bags 😂 

had a great full day in BA yesterday and today we are doing a cruise down the Tigre…. Pretty hot here… early morning tomorrow and heading to the airport for our flight to Ushuaia 

It sounds amazing, Jo. Have a wonderful cruise.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, MMDown Under said:

How is your puppy today Marion?

44 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

How is your puppy today Marion?

Her major injuries are internal, but she is improving thank you.  The girls have been taking her for a walk in a dog pram each day.  We have an appointment with ICU tomorrow, so are hoping for good news.  

• Like 1