Princess Announces Cruise Cancellations thru June 30 - Retitled after merge

picture

6 minutes ago, c-boy said:

No !  that CDC ref. doesn't bode well for me. Cancer survivor and  in another instance, dead for over twelve minutes before my ticker started again.  By those standards they won't let me sail. 

I wonder how they would enforce it? My cruise buddy is a two time cancer survivor but you wouldn't know it unless she told you...We all know there are plenty of people that aren't 100% honest with symptoms of illness, so who is to say they would be honest with things such as this? Unless we are going the route of needing a doctor to sign off?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, c-boy said:

No !  that CDC ref. doesn't bode well for me. Cancer survivor and  in another instance, dead for over twelve minutes before my ticker started again.  By those standards they won't let me sail. 

That scares me too.  Cancer remission and over 70.   Took 4  cruises in the past year with no health problems, but now they can say I am too sick.

• Like 1

Holland America is also extending their cancellations to June 30, and guests can get a refund or a 125% FCC.  Interestingly, with the FCC option, HAL is also giving a $250 per person on board credit.  If Princess did the same, it would make my decision on which option to take easier.

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

🤔 hmmmm.  yet to be determined .  I want to know who determines said condition?

I don't know what restrictions Princess will now use, but just to give you an idea of possible language, Carnival previously stated these and immediately implemented it (don't know if it will be the same with them now either though).

"The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity (active cancer, taking steroids) or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail".

Carnival did immediately refuse cruisers with chronic conditions (of any age) following the announcement (lady in video below says 80 people were denied boarding at the port, but of course I can't verify that. Another post on the Carnival board said "hundreds" denied at another port. But after that the ships stopped sailing anyway😞

The report below shows Carnival's statement:

"Carnival Cruise Line has added new questions to its health screening form completed by all embarking guests fleetwide which are consistent with the industry discussions with federal officials.

The questions include asking guests if they are age 70 or older, if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions.  The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity (active cancer, taking steroids) or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

Additionally, for this weekend’s departures, guests 70 years of age or older will not be allowed to sail, unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail.

We apologize for the disappointment of our guests. These are extraordinary times and the requirements placed on us are changing by the hour and advance notice isn’t always possible".

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/carnival-passengers-say-they-were-denied-boarding-due-to-existing-conditions/

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-tightens-cruise-policy-amid-coronavirus/

I really hate it when there are disappointments at the port! So sad for people turned away.

37 minutes ago, mustgo said:

That scares me too.  Cancer remission and over 70.   Took 4  cruises in the past year with no health problems, but now they can say I am too sick.

Obesity is listed as one of the chronic conditions also by the CDC so are they going to be weighing everyone prior to cruising.....so glad we have a lot of other options for travel besides cruising which seems like it is just going to be a complete hassle and not a fun way to travel anymore....

• Like 1

Have to say with this round of cancelled cruises Princess seems a lot less sure of themselves. With much less generous incentives to "stick with us" benefits. It looks like we can expect a 25% increase in price in the coming season. Maybe not immediately,  the wounds will still be too fresh but the following season and the seasons after that I expect a spike in price that exceeds "normal" inflation and now compare those 'sales' closely to see if they are really a sale.  Basically, I believe FCC + 25% or 100% refund is a wash. It comes does down to who you trust with YOUR money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

with regard to the health issues that the tread seems to have taken. Instead of complaining about the 'chronic conditions that the CDC has defined'. Take your passion and desire to do something you love like going on a cruise and let it motivate you to do something healthy for yourself! Use this a your motivator to change that chronic condition, Obesity , heart disease , diabetes, etc. You just have to be good enough to get that bill of Good health from the Doctor, not super man or wonder girl! A good attitude and commitment to achieving healthy goals goes a long way with your doctor and your reward at the end of your hard work may be that golden ticket to get on that cruise and a have well deserved vacation you worked so hard to achieve and in the end your are a little better you, too. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Obesity is listed as one of the chronic conditions by the CDC are they going to weigh everyone prior to cruising.

Fully 50% of the passengers on my last Princess cruise (in December) would have been denied boarding.

This is what we get when ambulance (cruise ship) chasing lawyers get a big cut of a victim-hood mentality. 

Edited by teecee60

18 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

... You just have to be good enough to get that bill of Good health from the Doctor, not super man or wonder girl! ...

It doesn't look like Princess is going to ask for a "bill of Good health from the Doctor". However, if you can get one, it might help convince Princess you're good to sail if you send it to Princess ahead of time.

• Thanks 1

Charlie Murphy, I find your post rather insulting. Many people’s chronic conditions are out of their control, I know mine is. Rheumatoid arthritis which requires immunosuppressive drugs which cause many side effects, such as steroid induced diabetes, heart failure, adrenal insufficiency, I could go on and on. You need to be better informed about this before you post inane comments.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

Have to say with this round of cancelled cruises Princess seems a lot less sure of themselves. With much less generous incentives to "stick with us" benefits. It looks like we can expect a 25% increase in price in the coming season. Maybe not immediately,  the wounds will still be too fresh but the following season and the seasons after that I expect a spike in price that exceeds "normal" inflation and now compare those 'sales' closely to see if they are really a sale.  Basically, I believe FCC + 25% or 100% refund is a wash. It comes does down to who you trust with YOUR money. 

That's possible and right now Alaska 2021 season does appear a bit more expensive.  It will still be supply and demand though.  And demand may drop off a bit for a few years.  They'll have to price accordingly.

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

“Chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last 1 year or more AND require ongoing medical attention  OR limit activities of daily living or both“

Do either of the conditions you mention meet the definitions described above? Hope not. 

35 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

with regard to the health issues that the tread seems to have taken. Instead of complaining about the 'chronic conditions that the CDC has defined'. Take your passion and desire to do something you love like going on a cruise and let it motivate you to do something healthy for yourself! Use this a your motivator to change that chronic condition, Obesity , heart disease , diabetes, etc. You just have to be good enough to get that bill of Good health from the Doctor, not super man or wonder girl! A good attitude and commitment to achieving healthy goals goes a long way with your doctor and your reward at the end of your hard work may be that golden ticket to get on that cruise and a have well deserved vacation you worked so hard to achieve and in the end your are a little better you, too. 

Not sure many can achieve these goals. You maybe on that ship by yourself. I am pleased to see , at least at this point, that Princess is not requiring a letter from a doctor. They need to put the health conditions in print. We are required to call and discuss our health with someone who answers the phone ( very inexperienced staff lately). I wouldn’t do that.  Off to do my push ups. Dog

1 hour ago, charlie murphy said:

Whopping price increases and five boatloads of new fees. (Thermometer fee, onboard medical enhancement fee, seat-on-the-tender fee, mask maintenance surcharge, Puracell dispenser toll, elevator tax) ...

in truth, there is no other way for the companies to go. Surely higher prices will drive off a lot of bargain cruisers, but the big lines are bleeding badly ... and will be for a while. Somebody will have to make up the revenue loss.

The problem is their business model just hit an iceberg ... and also caught fire.

COVID drives off tons of prospective customers for years ... AND ensures that the cruise lines can no longer shoehorn in a ton of low-fare passengers. They've got to reduce ship capacity while expanding medical staffing and equipment. 
    At the same time, the recession/depression shuts out another ton of prospective passengers.

The only rational response for the next year or two (at least) is for the lines to sacrifice a lot of passenger volume and park or scrap a whole bunch of ships.

Focus the remaining capacity on relatively high disposable-income passengers ...

charge more upfront and create new add-ons and upsells.

No model with "charge the same or less" even comes close to solvency for the cruise lines.

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition.

I get the other restrictions on their health requirements but don't know exactly how to interpret this one.  

I don't think I know anybody out there that doesn't have some kind of medical condition.  At first I read this as underlying severe chronic medical condition.  So, hyperlipidemia or hypertension that is well controlled with medication is very common so, that wouldn't appear to be a severe medical condition, albeit is most often chronic. 

The placement of the commas makes it seem a lot more difficult to comply.  

I'm sure this will require clarification ... no??  

Of note, the PDF does not include these commas:

If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

Edited by Cruise Raider

18 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Whopping price increases and five boatloads of new fees. (Thermometer fee, onboard medical enhancement fee, seat-on-the-tender fee, mask maintenance surcharge, Puracell dispenser toll, elevator tax) ...

in truth, there is no other way for the companies to go. Surely higher prices will drive off a lot of bargain cruisers, but the big lines are bleeding badly ... and will be for a while. Somebody will have to make up the revenue loss.

The problem is their business model just hit an iceberg ... and also caught fire.

COVID drives off tons of prospective customers for years ... AND ensures that the cruise lines can no longer shoehorn in a ton of low-fare passengers. They've got to reduce ship capacity while expanding medical staffing and equipment. 
    At the same time, the recession/depression shuts out another ton of prospective passengers.

The only rational response for the next year or two (at least) is for the lines to sacrifice a lot of passenger volume and park or scrap a whole bunch of ships.

Focus the remaining capacity on relatively high disposable-income passengers ...

charge more upfront and create new add-ons and upsells.

No model with "charge the same or less" even comes close to solvency for the cruise lines.

Researchers from Harvard are saying we will be social distancing until 2022 so I really doubt we are going to be getting on a cruise ship before then....not until a vaccine is found which if everything went perfect could not happen until next Spring where millions of people would have to be vaccinated....

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Obesity is listed as one of the chronic conditions also by the CDC so are they going to be weighing everyone prior to cruising.....so glad we have a lot of other options for travel besides cruising which seems like it is just going to be a complete hassle and not a fun way to travel anymore....

Could be worse than flying.  The CDC was behind the curve on this virus, now they will go to the other extreme.  Typical government bureaucrats.

3 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I got an email about 2 hours ago.

I did too.  About made ME cry when I saw the CEO speak. I have to think also of all the seniors kids who are missing their last days with their friends, graduations, awards nights, sports awards, musical performances.  Although I'm not there yet, I feel for those kids--I was a teacher once and have grandchildren almost there.

11 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Researchers from Harvard are saying we will be social distancing until 2022 so I really doubt we are going to be getting on a cruise ship before then....not until a vaccine is found which if everything went perfect could not happen until next Spring where millions of people would have to be vaccinated....

That could very well be so.

But another possibility is all three of the major cruise corporations are at bankruptcy's doorstep by January '21.

They send their execs crawling to the feds to beg & whimper for relief. If that happens, most or all of the hard-core CDC demands will have to be met, regardless of expense. And the cost for that will (rightfully) crash right onto the heads of cruise passengers.

And let's say we're both wrong & cruises are miraculously allowed to start by November of this year ... well, fares still must rise to keep the lines solvent. The big 3 cruise companies will be on their last financial legs, and most of their passengers will be using FCCs (the cruise lines will have long since spent the actual $$ revenue from those fares, so the passengers are little better than non-rev freeloaders from the cash flow perspective)

There will be endless incentive for higher fares (which conveniently eat up those dead-weight FCC credits faster) along with new fees and upsells. 

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut

4 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

What exactly is a "underlying, severe, chronic medical condition"??

Enhancing Health Requirements

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.
  • Have an underlying, severe, chronic medical condition.

Believe me anyone who has underlying, severe, chronic medical condition knows it.   If I have an underlying, sever, chronic medical condition my life on a daily basis is significantly impacted.   Sever is the key here.  Think about folks you know who have sever chronic conditions, they generally have a hard time traveling.   I know some folks who have underlying chronic conditions which are not severe and these folks do not have any issues traveling.  

2 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

Charlie while some may consider your suggestion offensive, I don't.  I worked in a doctor's office for past 20 years.  As a result I know that many people do have underlying, chronic conditions that are not that severe and are managed well, therefore would have no problem traveling.   Deep down we all know whether our condition makes it very difficult  to travel or not and whether we can do anything to improve our situation.  I thought your comment was if there is something we can do to better manage our health go for it, we will feel better, we may be better able to travel or cruise.  I like your attitude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerena said:

I did too.  About made ME cry when I saw the CEO speak. I have to think also of all the seniors kids who are missing their last days with their friends, graduations, awards nights, sports awards, musical performances.  Although I'm not there yet, I feel for those kids--I was a teacher once and have grandchildren almost there.

Since you were once a teacher, the role of a teacher is to help young people recognize life is not always fair and how to deal with adversity, so they can pick themselves up and move forward.  Missing senior year activities, like missing a cruise in the scheme of things is not a big deal,  especially when we are dealing a virus and life and death issues.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Since you were once a teacher, the role of a teacher is to help young people recognize life is not always fair and how to deal with adversity, so they can pick themselves up and move forward.  Missing senior year activities, like missing a cruise in the scheme of things is not a big deal,  especially when we are dealing a virus and life and death issues.  

You are right on about that---very well said.  My daughter is trying so hard to get her 17 year old to understand that.  She is making mask kits for others to sew by the thousands, but he doesn't understand volunteering for the good of others.   I think she is a "Professional volunteer" all year round, but he doesn't get it and he can sew beautifully.  She keeps trying; of course his close grandparents aren't there during this distancing.  We can only hope this terrible thing for our world can go away.  Yes, it disappointed me to cancel with my dear friend, but we do understand the reasoning and the necessity for all to stay safe and healthy.  Safe travels in the future for you.  Stay healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

Charlie while some may consider your suggestion offensive, I don't.  I worked in a doctor's office for past 20 years.  As a result I know that many people do have underlying, chronic conditions that are not that severe and are managed well, therefore would have no problem traveling.   Deep down we all know whether our condition makes it very difficult  to travel or not and whether we can do anything to improve our situation.  I thought your comment was if there is something we can do to better manage our health go for it, we will feel better, we may be better able to travel or cruise.  I like your attitude. 

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the age of 51, he will be 71 this year. He has fought to continue with a "normal" life and done everything possible to keep as well as he can. But this is a horrible, chronic, degenerative, neurological condition that has nothing to do with attitude or lifestyle, and I find Charlie's remarks not only offensive, but deeply hurtful. Think our cruising days are over, in fact I seriously doubt we will ever undertake any form of foreign travel again. By the time it is safe my husband will probably be beyond wanting to make the effort. As another post has commented, holidays are not that important in the current dreadful global situation, but still we feel very sad and can do without being made to feel we could have done something to improve our health!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1