Travel Agent "Courtesy"

On 4/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, RachelG said:

I get my rebate before the cruise starts as well.

So, if you get the rebate before the cruise sails, what happens if the cruise is cancelled and the cruiseline refunds your total gross cost?  Would you have to give the rebate back to the TA so you don't make money on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

So, if you get the rebate before the cruise sails, what happens if the cruise is cancelled and the cruiseline refunds your total gross cost?  Would you have to give the rebate back to the TA so you don't make money on this?

The TA still gets their commission.

"Our" agent is far away from us. They're in Texas and we're in NY. They have a street address, but I believe a good portion of their business is done by phone or online. Although I cannot mention their name, I've had better communication with them, then I have had with our local office in our home town. That's why we left our local TA. We've had absolutely no complaints of any kind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Curious...are these agents only known by phone or email. Or do they have offices you can go to meet your agent?  

My agent is in Texas.  We are in Oklahoma, but she responds almost immediately by email and is way more reliable than the local TA.  Just yesterday, I received an email (mind you this is on a Sunday) from her office that the price on an already booked cruise had dropped, and they had procured the new price for us.  We have sailed together many times, and I consider her to be a good friend as well as my TA.

The reason I left the previous TA over 10 years ago was that a price had dropped significantly.  I discovered the drop myself.  I called the previous agent to see about getting the new price, and they told me that I was basically on my own.  They weren't going to even try.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RachelG said:

My agent is in Texas.  We are in Oklahoma, but she responds almost immediately by email and is way more reliable than the local TA.  Just yesterday, I received an email (mind you this is on a Sunday) from her office that the price on an already booked cruise had dropped, and they had procured the new price for us.  We have sailed together many times, and I consider her to be a good friend as well as my TA.

The reason I left the previous TA over 10 years ago was that a price had dropped significantly.  I discovered the drop myself.  I called the previous agent to see about getting the new price, and they told me that I was basically on my own.  They weren't going to even try.

Gotta be "our" folks! They're wonderful!

• Like 2

They protect 100% of the commission if they cancel, the customer cancels under the Regent Reassurance program or within the 100% penalty phase. And they let you earn a new commission when you book the client with the FCC. 

Under what circumstances do you think Regent doesn't protect a commission that was earned?

6 hours ago, RachelG said:

I hope to cruise with you sometime in the future so I could get name especially  since we live in north Texas.  

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Well, my April and June cruises this year aren’t going to happen so maybe I’ll run into someone next June. 😀 I do like my current person but don’t get somethings others get.  

Perhaps you get some things they don't?

Edited by Pcardad

On 4/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, SimpleSailor2 said:

Let's take Regent out of this discussion simply to clarify my point.  Besides, this is an agreement between my TA and myself and has nothing to do with the cruise line.

Let's say the TA gets the their commission, 100%, no deductions for the cruise ending early (which we know if the case).  Then the TA turns around and wants to deduct 50% of what she contracted with me.  On what basis is the TA making this deduction? Why would they reduce my rebate when they received their full commission?   If the TA took a hit, I would too.  They didn't, so why should I?  

I think it's good business to keep commitments and honor agreements.  I am not asking for more.  I am simply asking for them to do the right thing and not try to make that extra "50%" off of an extenuating circumstance.    

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse or argue.  Let me ask this simply..did you get 50% of what you paid back?  

On 4/20/2020 at 2:52 PM, drib said:

I know that your profile says that you are from New England, but boblerm, with all these questions, I'm beginning to think that you are in fact from Fort Lee New Jersey!

Man, I miss the 70s...hahahahahahahahaha!!

6 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

My wife is from Jersey...but not Fort Lee so I guess it's cool.

Great to hear you're married to a Jersey girl - so cool; from another Jersey girl longing for a Regent cruise to a warm beach!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SimpleSailor2 said:

I have received nothing from the TA or Regent.  

Ok, so by that I assume that the refund you mentioned in your first post when you said  "Recent Regent cruise was cancelled while we were onboard.  Took 100% refund offer from Regent for days not sailed." has not been issued YET, but is coming, correct?  Again, not trying to be contentious, but you do seem to dodge my questions with every answer.  

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

Ok, so by that I assume that the refund you mentioned in your first post when you said  "Recent Regent cruise was cancelled while we were onboard.  Took 100% refund offer from Regent for days not sailed." has not been issued YET, but is coming, correct?  Again, not trying to be contentious, but you do seem to dodge my questions with every answer.  

LOL, I am not dodging your questions.  I've answered every one of them from my perspective.  Rather, I think you are dodging my point.  Let's not be contentious.   I don't know what you are trying to get me to say. 

For your review -

Regent has promised a 100% refund of the cruise days not cruised.  This has not been paid yet.  Please take Regent out of this discussion because it does not pertain to them, except confirm that they already paid the TA their FULL commission.

TA offered and promised a "courtesy" ( rebate, amenity, whatever you want to call it) and has not paid that, but wants to reduce it because the cruise ended early. However, she has received her commission in full.  TA's agreement has nothing to do with Regent.  It's between two private parties.   My point is, she has had this money for a long time,  but has not followed through on the agreement with me. Further, she had no reduction in her commission, so why would she withhold a percentage of that commission from me---an offer she made and agreed to give!  (I never asked for it, but it's what they do for their clients)

How would you feel if someone did not honor their agreement with you in this situation? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SimpleSailor2 said:

LOL, I am not dodging your questions.  I've answered every one of them from my perspective.  Rather, I think you are dodging my point.  Let's not be contentious.   I don't know what you are trying to get me to say. 

For your review -

Regent has promised a 100% refund of the cruise days not cruised.  This has not been paid yet.  Please take Regent out of this discussion because it does not pertain to them, except confirm that they already paid the TA their FULL commission.

TA offered and promised a "courtesy" ( rebate, amenity, whatever you want to call it) and has not paid that, but wants to reduce it because the cruise ended early. However, she has received her commission in full.  TA's agreement has nothing to do with Regent.  It's between two private parties.   My point is, she has had this money for a long time,  but has not followed through on the agreement with me. Further, she had no reduction in her commission, so why would she withhold a percentage of that commission from me---an offer she made and agreed to give!  (I never asked for it, but it's what they do for their clients)

How would you feel if someone did not honor their agreement with you in this situation? 

Please let me put  this in the form of a Contract which this is.  You entered into an agreement with your TA that you would book and go on this cruise.  In return for booking with your TA they agreed to "rebate" a certain amount of money to you.  You met your part of the bargain and thru no fault on your own the cruise was cancelled early and Regent is supposed to refund a portion of your cruise fare.  Your TA under a separate Contract with Regent was to receive a certain amount of money as a commission.

You honored your Contract with your TA and REgent honored their Contract with your TA so your TA not honoring your Contract with them breaks their Contract with you and that is just plain wrong.  And pretty sure if you were to take this issue to small claims court your TA would be liable for the agreed to amount as most likely  you have a Contract (invoice) with your TA showing the rebate.  Even if not in writing, a verbal Contract is just as much enforceable.

Now say Regent did not pay the full Commission to your TA that would be between your TA and Regent and outside your Contract.  If your TA's commission wee reduced, yes it would be a nice thing to do to allow your TA to reduce the amount of your rebate however since you lived up to your portion of your Contract with your TA you would not be obligated as said earlier your Contract is not dependent on the TA receiving anything from a third party.

Disclaimer  Am not a lawyer and not practicing law in my post but, have written many extremely large Contracts during my working years.

57 minutes ago, SimpleSailor2 said:

For your review -

"How would you feel if someone did not honor their agreement with you in this situation?"  Based on what you have told me (or failed to tell me), I would have what I agreed too.  Regent didn't deduct a single penny of commission from the Refund, so they fully paid back the entire cruise cost PLUS remainder of the "courtesy."  You just want more money.  Bottom line is that if you pay $10,000 for a cruise, agree to $1000 rebate, your net out of pocket is $9000.  If you use 50% you are entitled to $4500 plus $500 refund. If  you got $5000 back in refund from Regent, then you have your $4500 PLUS the $500 that your TA promised.  Anyway, clearly we don't see eye to eye on this.  So on that, I'm out of this conversation.  Take care, Happy cruising.  

Edited by papaflamingo

Rebates are a sensitive topic and certainly cruise lines don't encourage it to protect pricing integrity. 

RSSC does have certain guidelines about "amenities", perhaps this link will be useful. 

https://www.rssc.com/media/hostedfiles/PDF/AntiRebatingPolicy.pdf

Regarding protected commission for travel agencies for itineraries cancelled by the cruise line: I understand RSSC is honoring this but we shouldn't expect this to always be the case or for them not to change the guidelines. This is of course something separate from whatever agreement a client might have with their travel advisor.

Silversea for instance has updated this and will only honor commission for the sailing that they cancel if the client chooses the FCC instead of the refund

regards!