Travel Agent "Courtesy"

I can't be too specific.  No hurt feelings and such.  Recent Regent cruise was cancelled while we were onboard.  Took 100% refund offer from Regent for days not sailed. Waiting for refund.

TA has not given us our agreed upon "courtesy" saying it will now be adjusted (downward) because we didn't complete all the days onboard.

I thought TA's received their commission when we made full payment.  Do they have to refund their commission or portion of to Regent for the adjustments?  I think some guests received their "courtesy's" when the trip started.  Others when it ends.  Ours ended, but no sign of "courtesy" as agreed upon prior to trip.  Not sure how to handle this with our TA.  We're pretty new at cruising and new to using TA's.  Some seasoned advice and thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Simple Sailor2

AFAIK, if you paid your final, then the Agent got paid the full commission. Even if you received a partial "cash' refund because the trip was discontinued, the Agents full commission based on the final payment amount was protected.

I think your Agent is BS'ing you. Make them prove that Regent made them payback their (partial) commission. If they don't then please "out" them for gouging.

J

I posted this on another thread:

The Regent policy from my TA (at least in the US) is:

"....we are protecting 100% of your commissions on any voyage we voluntarily suspended as well as protecting 100% of your commissions for any cancellations under Regent Reassurance..... we are also protecting commissions on the 100% Future Cruise Credits when you rebook your clients through the end of 2022. This includes those made for bookings canceled by our temporary suspension of operations or for those earned under Regent Reassurance."

I also get my rebate with my cruise documents.  On April 5, I received an email from the accounting department of my agency, asking me to send back the rebate for my cancelled cruise.  I replied to them quoting the information that Anchorbouy mentioned above, and asking that in light of this information, they would provide me with a rationale for my returning this money.  I have not yet heard from them.

I should note that this agency has a very good reputation, I would be happy to refund this money if it was causing them a financial loss.  But as far as I am concerned, the ball is in their court, and I have no intention in refunding anything until their request is justified.

18 hours ago, SimpleSailor2 said:

I can't be too specific.  No hurt feelings and such.  Recent Regent cruise was cancelled while we were onboard.  Took 100% refund offer from Regent for days not sailed. Waiting for refund.

TA has not given us our agreed upon "courtesy" saying it will now be adjusted (downward) because we didn't complete all the days onboard.

I'm confused... you are getting 100% refund for days not sailed from Regent, and you but you want 100% of your "courtesy" back?  Wouldn't that actually give you MORE money than you originally paid?  Or am I completely missing the problem?  

If my TA gets a commission based on our cruise fare and Regent guarantees that 100% then the same courtesy should be applied to the guest.  If our TA gave us the courtesy when your documents were sent, they would not ask for a refund of the money.  The courtesy is an agreement between the TA and client, it is spelled out in our statement from their office which also included the travel insurance.  So all monies are noted including what's paid and what's agreed upon.  My point is, if the TA makes a commitment, they should honor it.  However, if they lost a percentage of their commission and had to pay back Regent, I would not expect the full amount either.  Since they are keeping the full commission, they should honor their commitment to us.  That courtesy has nothing to do with our refund from Regent.  This is an agreement between the TA and us.  

I wanted to know when the commissions were paid and when fellow cruisers received their courtesy.  I think from the feedback, our TA had the money long ago and a reduction in our benefit (which they offered and I never asked for) is petty and arbitrary on the part of the TA.   Thank to each of you for enlightening me.

SimpleSailor2

Regent  gives commission shortly after final payment has gone in, EXCEPT for some sailings. For holiday sailings, round the world sailings, commission is not given until the passenger starts actually sailing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alidor said:

Regent  gives commission shortly after final payment has gone in, EXCEPT for some sailings. For holiday sailings, round the world sailings, commission is not given until the passenger starts actually sailing.

Good to know.  Thank you!

21 hours ago, SimpleSailor2 said:

If my TA gets a commission based on our cruise fare and Regent guarantees that 100% then the same courtesy should be applied to the guest.  If our TA gave us the courtesy when your documents were sent, they would not ask for a refund of the money.  The courtesy is an agreement between the TA and client, it is spelled out in our statement from their office which also included the travel insurance.  So all monies are noted including what's paid and what's agreed upon.  My point is, if the TA makes a commitment, they should honor it.  However, if they lost a percentage of their commission and had to pay back Regent, I would not expect the full amount either.  Since they are keeping the full commission, they should honor their commitment to us.  That courtesy has nothing to do with our refund from Regent.  This is an agreement between the TA and us.  

I wanted to know when the commissions were paid and when fellow cruisers received their courtesy.  I think from the feedback, our TA had the money long ago and a reduction in our benefit (which they offered and I never asked for) is petty and arbitrary on the part of the TA.   Thank to each of you for enlightening me.

SimpleSailor2

Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, I really don't seem to be following your logic.  Can you use hypothetical numbers please? For example, as I seem to understand, you paid...say....$10,000 for a 10 day cruise.  Your TA gives you a 10% "courtesy," so $1000 back. So your net cost for the cruise would be $9,000.  So, Regent cancels on day 5 (half way).  Regent refunds you $5,000, or 50% of what you paid.  Your TA wants to prorate the "courtesy" and give you 50% of it back, or $500.  So your net refund is $5500.  But you want the other $500 back?  Is this the case or am I totally missing your point?

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

This thread is so much more fun to read when you substitute the word "kickback" for "courtesy"...

Note - this is HUMOR, if you don't have a sense of it please reply to the Regent Refund thread instead.

Ahh...very on point! This plays into the "Regent never discounts" statement.....except they do....with a wink and a nod....for those who know how to work it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

This thread is so much more fun to read when you substitute the word "kickback" for "courtesy"...

Note - this is HUMOR, if you don't have a sense of it please reply to the Regent Refund thread instead.

Or the word Greed.

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, I really don't seem to be following your logic.  Can you use hypothetical numbers please? For example, as I seem to understand, you paid...say....$10,000 for a 10 day cruise.  Your TA gives you a 10% "courtesy," so $1000 back. So your net cost for the cruise would be $9,000.  So, Regent cancels on day 5 (half way).  Regent refunds you $5,000, or 50% of what you paid.  Your TA wants to prorate the "courtesy" and give you 50% of it back, or $500.  So your net refund is $5500.  But you want the other $500 back?  Is this the case or am I totally missing your point?

Let's take Regent out of this discussion simply to clarify my point.  Besides, this is an agreement between my TA and myself and has nothing to do with the cruise line.

Let's say the TA gets the their commission, 100%, no deductions for the cruise ending early (which we know if the case).  Then the TA turns around and wants to deduct 50% of what she contracted with me.  On what basis is the TA making this deduction? Why would they reduce my rebate when they received their full commission?   If the TA took a hit, I would too.  They didn't, so why should I?  

I think it's good business to keep commitments and honor agreements.  I am not asking for more.  I am simply asking for them to do the right thing and not try to make that extra "50%" off of an extenuating circumstance.    

Your TA is not a very professional one, if I give a client shipboard credit or part of my commission to offset the balance of the cruise its yours to keep. I would personally never ask for anything back from a client, its just good business. At least now you know not to use that agency. 

10 hours ago, Pcardad said:

While some people are clueless, I totally "get it"!