Surprised at the absence of an Apology from LLP?

clojacks

To be honest I think this is a pretty unrealistic expectation. Of course all of the experts here have perfect hindsight and would have managed this situation much better, but this whole ordeal and how to handle it is a disaster for everyone from the mom and pop shops to huge corporations.

Right now the trigger point is speed of refunds. Once that passes it will move on to something else. Then something else. Then it will move to the inefficient and ineffective way they restart operations. Then it will move to the poor and ineffective processes they have in place on board for the ‘new normal’. 

I think some could really use to step back, relax, realize that cruises are over for a while and keep themselves healthy. 

• Like 2

What, exactly would LLP be apologizing for?  I have received at least two personalized e-mails from LLP (the kind they send from the Captain's Club), neither were apologies but both were appreciated.  Were I to receive an apology, I'd find it to be an insincere sympathy grab.  With so many companies trying to find their way during a global pandemic induced shut down, I guess there are things that can be learned when we/they have time to reflect.  Apology?  No, I'm good. 

• Thanks 1

I probably could have thought out my original post and worded it better. I maybe should have viewed this from the position of a shareholder or Board of Directors member, neither of which I am. As many have said, the passengers on those last few ships after all hell had broken loose and become common knowledge were at fault as well. I agree, but I also believe, as I implied, that the detail of information that Celebrity/Royal management was getting from Government and Disease experts, was almost assuredly way more extensive than what passengers were seeing in the news. With that belief on my part, I feel the cruise lines had WAY more information at their disposal as to the possible development arc of this virus. Consequently, as I stated, and again, maybe from the position of a shareholder or Board of Director, which, again, I am neither of, I feel there are some explanations I am due as to the decision tree that led to Celebrity and others sailing in the waning days before complete shutdown. Those explanations would help me to form an opinion as to how confident I am in my management team in leading my company forward once we are allowed to again. At current, my confidence isn't too high. I know many on here feel that Celebrity has done no worse than anyone else, but I pay a premium price to Celebrity to do better than most others. If you want to be a cheerleader and shout how wonderful LLP is, fine, have at it. I see a level of accountability that they are not being held to that I would like to see answers too, even if as some of you say, I don't deserve them. THAT'S the transparency I would like to see in a company I have supported and sailed on exclusively for almost 10 years.

• Like 2

clojacks- If LLP actually came to your house and apologized to you, of course wearing a face mask and standing 6 feet away, would that make you happy?  🙂  Not really sure why this is important at this point in time.  It will fall on mostly deaf ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember the days when the biggest thing we had to gripe about was the implementation of a drinks package surcharge?  Our complaints worked and that was quickly rescinded.

The cruise lines' businesses are being absolutely crushed.  None of them know when they will be able to begin sailing again or what kind of demand there will be.  They will have to make huge operational changes that complicates staffing and supply chain management, and they have no idea what that will even look like so it's impossible to plan. They have an enormous cash crunch now with massive cancellations and no revenue coming in, which is why they are being so slow in refunds.  I doubt they are sitting on piles of cash.  They are probably refunding as much and as quickly as possible.

Anyone booking a new cruise should probably make sure they have a refundable deposit and, if possible, buy insurance from a reputable insurer (not through the cruise line) that covers financial default.

I have not canceled my Jan. 2021 cruise but I find it very unlikely I'll be able to go on that cruise absent a discovery of a miracle cure for COVID-19.  There certainly won't be a vaccine by then.  I am more hopeful for my 2022 booking, but even that is an unknown.  

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

clojacks- If LLP actually came to your house and apologized to you, of course wearing a face mask and standing 6 feet away, would that make you happy?  🙂  Not really sure why this is important at this point in time.  It will fall on mostly deaf ears.

I guess you didn't see my post about choosing my words more wisely, but thank you for your response Rick....Apology is not the word I should have used, as many have so thoughtfully pointed out to me, but I hope at some point, for my own curiousity....not because I deserve it or am owed it, to learn about what thought process went into Celebrity sending a ship out to sea 5 hours before a cruiseline wide shutdown when into effect, and then turning it around 3 days later. But again, thanks for your input.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, clojacks said:

THAT'S the transparency I would like to see in a company I have supported and sailed on exclusively for almost 10 years.

I think I get what you are saying.  Perhaps it's not an apology you're seeking.  It seems as though you would like a rationale, an explanation of sorts, for the decisions that were made that resulted in some pretty extreme circumstances.  I feel certain that such was given to the board and perhaps the board were even a part of those decisions.  Likely, such discussions will never be made public.  

We all put our faith and trust in others when we travel.  I'm not sure how transparent I need my travel providers to be before I will travel with them.  Maybe that's not such a good thing.  Again, I think we will all learn a better standard of practice as a result of this pandemic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Apology? Get a grip. People want refunds, not apology.

Thanks for your input sfaaa. I didn't realize my "grip" meant we got either an explanation or a refund, but not both. Much appreciated for your correction.

• Like 1

Just now, clojacks said:

I guess you didn't see my post about choosing my words more wisely, but thank you for your response Rick....Apology is not the word I should have used, as many have so thoughtfully pointed out to me, but I hope at some point, for my own curiousity....not because I deserve it or am owed it, to learn about what thought process went into Celebrity sending a ship out to sea 5 hours before a cruiseline wide shutdown when into effect, and then turning it around 3 days later. But again, thanks for your input.

Yes sorry- I just saw your last response.  I do understand your viewpoint.  We are all frustrated.   I was just trying out a bit of humor.  Relieves the boredom!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

An apology would be good for LLP herself, even if it fell on deaf ears.  All the lies to San Diego health officials, hundreds or thousands of innocent people affected because of it, and all those mislead down to Chile to find themselves stranded, that's a lot a weight to put on anyone's shoulders.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes sorry- I just saw your last response.  I do understand your viewpoint.  We are all frustrated.   I was just trying out a bit of humor.  Relieves the boredom!

LOL-- I tried " a bit of humor " a few times on CC and " POOF " it exploded in my face. 

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- I tried " a bit of humor " a few times on CC and " POOF " it exploded in my face. 

Yes these days some people tend to be more grumpy than usual including me!  Never mind cruise withdrawal- I am suffering from some serious Cabin Fever!😀 Help!

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes these days some people tend to be more grumpy than usual including me!  Never mind cruise withdrawal- I am suffering from some serious Cabin Fever!😀 Help!

Well, to be fair, some of us "Grumpy" people get taken to the woodshed if we use a wrong word or criticize the Celebrity Palace.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, clojacks said:

I am! It is over a month now since the cruise lines were ordered to cease. Celebrity was one of the lines that continued to send ships out to sea right up until a few hours before the order was to take affect. I find it odd that they haven't sent out any kind of an explanation or apology to their customers, or posted anything other than "policy" on their website. There were many many missteps that Celebrity made before the order, and exceedingly more in the handling of the aftermath. An apologetic management at this point, would go a long way to slow the angst coming from their followers, and the longer it takes, the more fervent it grows.

Email Lisa and express you concerns directly to her. lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

13 hours ago, clojacks said:

I am! It is over a month now since the cruise lines were ordered to cease. Celebrity was one of the lines that continued to send ships out to sea right up until a few hours before the order was to take affect. I find it odd that they haven't sent out any kind of an explanation or apology to their customers, or posted anything other than "policy" on their website. There were many many missteps that Celebrity made before the order, and exceedingly more in the handling of the aftermath. An apologetic management at this point, would go a long way to slow the angst coming from their followers, and the longer it takes, the more fervent it grows.

Email Lisa and express you concerns directly to her. lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

Sometimes I think posts like this divide the world into glass half full, glass half empty people...

Hindsight is wonderful....hopefully big businesses (including cruise lines) will have learned from recent events. 

Personally, I am grateful when part of my grocery order comes rather than cross some is missing...

I am happy that I can still shop for many items on line rather than disappointed I can’t visit stores...

Contented that Celebrity has given me many happy times rather than feel critical of them at this difficult time...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

An apology would be good for LLP herself, even if it fell on deaf ears.  All the lies to San Diego health officials, hundreds or thousands of innocent people affected because of it, and all those mislead down to Chile to find themselves stranded, that's a lot a weight to put on anyone's shoulders.

Wonder if LLP knew everything  that was going on.

She has come across as more interested in pr , social agenda and things like  goop.... rather than hands on day to day, But no way to know.  Don't envy her the stress levels!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Well, to be fair, some of us "Grumpy" people get taken to the woodshed if we use a wrong word or criticize the Celebrity Palace.

" criticize the Celebrity Palace." 

LOL--- you forgot  " or ANY  poster , or ANYTHING they are interested in , or , or, " 

Just follow the Guidelines and forget the " Critics " part of Cruise Critics " and be nice , like, like, oops, can't mention names.

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wonder if LLP knew everything  that was going on.

She has come across as more interested in pr , social agenda and things like  goop.... rather than hands on day to day, But no way to know.  Don't envy her the stress levels!

This should help to alleviate some stress....

https://www1.salary.com/Lisa-Lutoff-Perlo-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-ROYAL-CARIBBEAN-CRUISES-LTD.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Sometimes I think posts like this divide the world into glass half full, glass half empty people...

Hindsight is wonderful....hopefully big businesses (including cruise lines) will have learned from recent events. 

Personally, I am grateful when part of my grocery order comes rather than cross some is missing...

I am happy that I can still shop for many items on line rather than disappointed I can’t visit stores...

Contented that Celebrity has given me many happy times rather than feel critical of them at this difficult time...

We live in a blame culture I’m afraid.