Phases of re-opening American Economy

From the White House here are the phases of re-opening the American Economy.   Seems like cruise ships will not be back in operation until Phase 3.   Not sure when phase 3 will be or even when will each phase be.   Only thing they spell out is what can be happen on each phase.   Got a cruise booked on the Enchantment for July 17, this year.  Balance due is going to be in 2 more days,  not sure if cruising will be re-open by then.

Before we can go to Phase 1

Before the states go into the first phase of the plan, there needs to be certain benchmarks that are met. Those include:

• A sustained downward trajectory of new positive coronavirus cases over a 14-day period or a downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period
  • A downward trajectory of influenza-like illnesses reported within a 14-day period and a downward trajectory of COVID-like syndromic cases reported within a 14-day period
  • A return to pre-crisis conditions in hospitals and a robust testing program in place for at-risk healthcare workers
  • States should have the “ability to quickly set up safe and efficient screening and testing sites,” the guidelines read, and “quickly and independently supply sufficient Personal Protective Equipment” in hospitals

Phase 1: (For states and regions who meet the gatekeeping criteria)

• All vulnerable individuals must continue to shelter-in-place. The people who go back to work should not be among the high-risk category
  • Continue to maintain six-feet social distancing guidelines
  • Nonessential travel should be minimized
  • Employers should provide options for teleworking for people who are vulnerable
  • People should return to work in small phases
  • If schools are already closed, they should remain closed
  • Visiting senior living facilities is still prohibited
  • Large group gatherings should be avoided
  • Gyms can open if they can adhere to strict distancing guidelines
  • Elective surgeries can resume on an outpatient basis

Phase 2: (For states, regions with no evidence of rebound after phase 1)

• Vulnerable and high-risk individuals should continue to shelter in place
  • Groups of more than 50 people should be avoided
  • Non-essential travel can resume
  • Employers should continue to provide telework options to people if they can’t maintain distancing
  • Schools, daycares and camps can resume
  • Visiting senior living facilities will continue to be prohibited
  • Both inpatient and outpatient elective surgeries can resume
  • Bars may operate with diminished standing-room occupancy

Phase 3: (For states and regions with no evidence of rebound after first two phases)

• Vulnerable individuals can resume public interactions but should practice physical distancing, minimize exposure to social settings where distancing may not be practical
  • Low-risk populations should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments
  • Unrestricted staffing of worksites can resume
  • Visits to senior living facilities can resume
  • Large venues can operate under limited physical distancing protocol
  • Gyms can remain open if they can adhere to sanitization protocol
  • Bars may operate with increased standing room occupancy

Guidelines for people through all the phases:

• Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer
  • Avoid touching your face
  • Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow
  • Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible
  • Strongly consider wearing face coverings in public and while using mass transit
  • People who feel sick should stay home. Don’t go to work or school and contact a medical provider
Edited by StrikeEagle
  • Like 1

I'm guessing a state or maybe city would have to be in Phase2 heading toward Phase3 before cruise ships would be allowed to depart from a port.

I think Florida,  at least some counties  could reach Phase 2 quickly, but South FL may not be up to Phase 1 at this moment.  Could be another month.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

I'm guessing a state or maybe city would have to be in Phase2 heading toward Phase3 before cruise ships would be allowed to depart from a port.

I think Florida,  at least some counties  could reach Phase 2 quickly, but South FL may not be up to Phase 1 at this moment.  Could be another month.

I certainly don’t see cruise ships sailing in any of these Phases or for sure the first two. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Someone on the news said these 3 phases might take a year and a half to get thru. Great .. NOT

We went to mandatory masks today and dont peak until may, only more restrictions here.

I'm in PA, Bucks County.  We have been highly recommended to wear a mask for about 2 weeks and sunday at midnight go into mandatory mask.  

I read we are expected to peak this weekend.  

Since my March and May cruises cancelled now I have fingers and toes crossed that our shore house rental for june at Spray Beach, LBI will be possible.  One of my favorite islands.  Grew up there and love going back every summer.   Stay Well!

27 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I've thinking cruise ships are phase 4

While there is no Phase 4 I understand what you are saying.  I have attached the complete set of guidelines as a PDF.  Phase 3 states:

"LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols."

And I don't see how cruise ships can operate with any kind of distancing protocols.

Reopening Phases.pdf

• Like 2

We are the only country so far that hasn't implemented a country wide stay at home order. This will sure be an interesting experiment. Air travel will certainly transport people with the virus from phase 1 states to phase 3 states. How will that effect things? And how many people will be afraid to leave their homes ss more people get sick and death tolls increase. Gov Cuomo today said NY was at RO 1.2 at peak and now is at RO .9 thanks to stay at home orders. Wuhan was at RO .3 before lifting restrictions. How do any of the states really know their true RO number since no state is aggressively testing like NY. The sick don't show up to the hospital for 2-6 weeks. There's a huge lag in known cases while this virus spreads unabated.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

We are the only country so far that hasn't implemented a country wide stay at home order. This will sure be an interesting experiment. Air travel will certainly transport people with the virus from phase 1 states to phase 3 states. How will that effect things? And how many people will be afraid to leave their homes ss more people get sick and death tolls increase. Gov Cuomo today said NY was at RO 1.2 at peak and now is at RO .9 thanks to stay at home orders. Wuhan was at RO .3 before lifting restrictions. How do any of the states really know their true RO number since no state is aggressively testing like NY. The sick don't show up to the hospital for 2-6 weeks. There's a huge lag in known cases while this virus spreads unabated.

You really can't say NY is 'agressively' testing. Looks like they've only tested 3% of the population.  Am I missing something. It's far more than most of the country, but still weak

In FL you have to be symptomatic or in one of the high risk groups. So we are only at 1%, fairly close to national average.

We've all got a long way to go

• Like 5

The cruise ships have already had their plan laid out for them by the CDC in their current no sail order which actually is enforceable unlike the plan That has been laid out.

These are just guidelines and not mandates for the states to follow on each state’s path to reopening the economy.  They are ultimately irrelevant to when the cruise lines can start sailing.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Do you wish your stay at home orders started sooner?

Ours started very early here, but was optional. I was already following it when it went mandatory.

What I mean by things changing here, not just mandatory masks, every time I do go to the grocery store it's something new. I pick up prescriptions for elderly parents, they are now behind plexiglass. And no I hate this. I'd like my hair cut especially lol. I want my old life back thanks. 

I admit I didnt see this coming or life getting so wierd. I want this to peak already in dallas and have hope as we come out of it. Just tired of it all tbh. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In FL you have to be symptomatic or in one of the high risk groups. So we are only at 1%, fairly close to national average.

A couple days ago we finally got more tests here. Now 65 and older can go get tested even if no fever. Before this week you had to have a fever to get tested here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Boy, social distancing on a cruise ship should be really interesting to see how chair hogs at pool deck handle it.

Mdr could be really nice when a table for 2 isnt sitting 2" away from another table of 2.

Less crowded elevators too!

The only way for this to work is if they follow the same limited occupancy as bars when they first open. I don't know if it would be financially feasible for a cruise ship not to sail full. 

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The only way for this to work is if they follow the same limited occupancy as bars when they first open. I don't know if it would be financially feasible for a cruise ship not to sail full. 

It's absolutely feasible ... 1/2 the occupants, double the cruise fare.

They'll just have to be priced probably more than the luxury lines.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You really can't say NY is 'agressively' testing. Looks like they've only tested 3% of the population.  Am I missing something. It's far more than most of the country, but still weak

They still aren't aggressively testing. You still have to meet a criteria in order to be tested. You call for an appointment they ask you some questions and  they decide if you should be tested.  Fever alone is not a reason to be tested. People are walking around with mild symptoms probably have it and don't know. The rule is if you wouldn't normally seek medical attention for the symptoms then you don't need a test.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

It's absolutely feasible ... 1/2 the occupants, double the cruise fare.

They'll just have to be priced probably more than the luxury lines.

True and with all of those FCC's to spend and so little time I guess there will be people who will pay.  I will have to take a hard pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

A couple days ago we finally got more tests here. Now 65 and older can go get tested even if no fever. Before this week you had to have a fever to get tested here. 

Texas is better than NY with testing.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Might be best if we ever want to get on the water again is to charter a yacht for a week? Anyone have any idea what it would cost for a week?

I have no idea but I bet they don't offer 60% off for the second guest or kids sail free.

• Haha 1