When will they cancel Europe 2020

kingart55

21 hours ago, harz99 said:

Just remember that some of us do not have the choice in our markets of booking with a refundable deposit, so no it's not always greed!

Well, this being a USA website the assumption is the booking was made under USA rules. If that isn’t the case it would be helpful if the post stated that. My comment was meant as a reflection on the choice people make when booking in a NRD vs RD environment. If you want the lower fare then you assume the risks attached to it. 

4 minutes ago, maxsales said:

Well, this being a USA website the assumption is the booking was made under USA rules. If that isn’t the case it would be helpful if the post stated that. My comment was meant as a reflection on the choice people make when booking in a NRD vs RD environment. If you want the lower fare then you assume the risks attached to it. 

I wasn’t aware this was a USA website9E2DD4B1-C2EF-484E-9CED-8D03E827D7F6.thumb.jpeg.0d9884f3cb57595a8fabbcd06879ab8a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, rimmit said:

This is an obvious effort to get the uniformed cruiser who has not been paying attention the what is happening in the world and what has happened to the cruise industry to buy a cruise that will never happen just so they can have some revenue come in.  There is zero chance of these cruises happenings.

They just need money.

Not just uninformed cruisers as there are some here on CC that are still planning their May cruises!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, barneyboy said:

I wasn’t aware this was a USA website9E2DD4B1-C2EF-484E-9CED-8D03E827D7F6.thumb.jpeg.0d9884f3cb57595a8fabbcd06879ab8a.jpeg

Even though CC is read and utilized world wide, there will always be posts here that write only to the US audience (and equally read with that assumption) and those of us non US are left sometimes to guess the context.  It shouldn't matter the host of the site, CC is not designed/intended to be US only but that is the lens of many here.  It would be nice if we all posted (and read) with that in mind. 

I think it is predominantly US, Canadian and UK members here based on what I've seen over my 14 years as a member.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, maxsales said:

It is the only portal for cruisers around the world. Wise not to assume anything. Australia here. 

6A6F4765-01B0-4DDB-99F5-700509E9826E.thumb.jpeg.61aea727cc9357d99fe1b4c99269f9a4.jpeg

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It is the only portal for cruisers around the world. Wise not to assume anything. Australia here. 

6A6F4765-01B0-4DDB-99F5-700509E9826E.thumb.jpeg.61aea727cc9357d99fe1b4c99269f9a4.jpeg

Ooop .. sorry to not add you to the mix ... but just adds to the statement for sure.  And exactly, it's a portal to the world.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's ok, we'll still let you visit.  😉

Oh and my pass was on the country not the site and only because they won't allow me!  I won't be leaving the CC site anytime soon, I am too addicted to do that LOL 😋  bwahahahahahaha

8 minutes ago, poffles said:

Oh and my pass was on the country not the site and only because they won't allow me!  I won't be leaving the CC site anytime soon, I am too addicted to do that LOL 😋  bwahahahahahaha

Great.  You're always welcome on the site as well as the country. 😊  My comment was really intended for the website, but I understood how you can also take it to mean the country.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ldambra said:

Totally with you.

Sad thing is that we’re still locked down here in South Florida, at least for the long term. Can’t leave our homes without masks, protective equipment, and a valid excuse. No end in sight, anytime soon.

So I can’t provide any of you folks with any more information. Really sorry, but our  municipal, local, state, and national governments don’t want to give us more up-to-date, or any true and forthright info.

As I posted, and was vilified for, 2020 is dead for us. Not my opinion, it’s what X has already posted.

Sorry, Wish I had better news!

I feel like this is what is happening everywhere - it's all so ambiguous.  In addition to our X cruise scheduled for December 2020, we have trips planned for CA in July and a Rhine river cruise scheduled for August.  With Macron saying he'd like France's borders to be closed until September and Germany saying large events cannot take place prior to August 31, I expected, at the very least, our river cruise would be canceled right now, but nothing seems to be set in stone.  As far as I know, France's borders are not officially closed until September - it was just a suggestion - and I have no clue what constitutes a "large event" in Germany (I believe it's more than 2 people?).  I'm assuming an excursion to the Porsche factory is out?  Or is it?  Everything is closed "until further notice".  It just adds to the frustration.  Where I live, we are under stay-at-home until May 20, but that could change at any moment.  None of these dates seem to mean anything.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maxsales said:

I am in the US and I had the choice.  I'm not complaining about my NRD.  It's just put me in a bit of a pickle!  I made a choice based on precedent - the precedent of, having traveled quite extensively over the last 25+ years and never, ever finding myself in a situation like we find ourselves in today.  I just need to navigate the situation in a way that will best preserve the deposit we put down and I don't know the answer to that yet.  I have until mid-September to figure it out.  Things may look very different by then?!  

• Like 2

Article about Spain - 

SPAIN’S TOURISM INDUSTRY UNLIKELY TO FULLY REOPEN UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR AS INITIAL PLANS TO LIFT CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN RESTRICTIONS REVEALED

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/04/18/spains-tourismm-industry-wont-reopen-until-the-end-of-the-year-as-initial-plans-to-lift-coronavirus-lockdown-restrictions-revealed/

Edited by downsmead

On 4/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, Gracie115 said:

Constellation's dry dock has been postponed, as have all the X dry docks at this point with no new dates.  I suspect you won't see any before 2023 at the earliest. And it wouldn't surprise me if they wind up divesting themselves of both Connie and Infinity since neither has been upgraded and I think X and all lines are going to go through some shrinking of their fleets after this crisis is over.  

In the meanwhile we might even see Constellation to be taken out of the fleet, with likely Infinity which also didn't receive the Revolution. Nevertheless should Constellation stay the ship will need to go to drydock anyhow this yea, at least for marine Maintenance.

Sad but true when, if, the cruise lines restart there may we’ll be too many ships chasing too few passengers. Cruise lines will start reducing their fleets removing the least efficient ( I.e. profitable ) ships. 

unfortunately Connie will most likely fall into that category. Pity as she is easily our favorite celebrity ship. Seems fitting that maybe we ( over 70) and Connie have both done our last Celebrity sail. 

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

In the meanwhile we might even see Constellation to be taken out of the fleet, with likely Infinity which also didn't receive the Revolution. Nevertheless should Constellation stay the ship will need to go to drydock anyhow this yea, at least for marine Maintenance.

Being on the Infinity several times it is my opinion it is in dire need of dry dock, especially the staterooms.  After my last sailing, I vowed to not book another one until after the Revolution.   My next sailing on the Infinity is in March 2021.  I will probably keep the sailing because I got a very, very good price.  If I was paying anymore( 5 night, interior, $615 TOTAL for 2 INCLUDING taxes and $100 OBC), I would not keep the booking, but that is MY opinion.   The Infinity does many charter sailings so I question whether it will be taken out of the fleet anytime soon.  I would not be happy paying Charter prices for the condition it is currently in, but, that is just ME.

38 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I've said on several posts that I think it's entirely possible that X will, at some point, get rid of those two older ships.  They have to see the "writing on the wall" that cruising is going to take a LONG time to come back to its former strength, if it ever does.  They and all lines are going to have a much tougher time filling ships AND the idea of adding NEW customers is really a long way off.  If I had never taken a cruise and watched what happened over the last few months with many ships it would be the LAST thing I would want to start doing as a vacation.  So between that and the new health restrictions it appears they will be adding they won't be able to fill the ships they have.  I don't expect to see any major renovations and VERY FEW new builds over the next few years and that last part has already been stated by one of the major shipyards.....

• Like 1

Recently posted on another thread is the announcement that Italy is closed to foreign tourists thru' 2020. With the above post about Spain, that pretty well means no European cruises this year.  I expect RCI/X to announce suspension of all such cruises soon. 

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

Recently posted on another thread is the announcement that Italy is closed to foreign tourists thru' 2020. With the above post about Spain, that pretty well means no European cruises this year.  I expect RCI/X to announce suspension of all such cruises soon. 

Sure they will! However, they will do it on a month by month basis just like before...

They will not cancel all of 2020 Europe cruises right away regardless how unlikely it is that they will sail.

32 minutes ago, 39august said:

Where is the thread about Italy being closed thru 2020?

On 4/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, keesar said:

If the cruise season in Europe is cancelled, we can always head down to Orlando and visit Epcot.  Let's see, there is Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, ...😀

Still hoping for real Europe but not looking good.😪

Always did want to visit Florida in the middle of the summer.  Oh, forgot. . . it's a dry heat.  😊

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I've enjoyed Infinity a few times. I enjoy that ship layout.  I think it was scheduled for dry dock later this year.  We may have been booked on one of the last cruises prior to dry dock.  Looks like that cruise may not happen now  

Even if European ports are not open, hopefully there will be some element of tourism to support those many hotels, restaurants and small shops over the period ahead. 

although I wonder will Venice open up at all for cruise ships. 

1 hour ago, 39august said:

On a rolling basis, the day after final payments are due.

mac_tlc

• Like 2