Celebrity Cruise Prices

Pickels

This can't be right!  Maybe Celebrity hasn't updated the website yet.  I checked a cruise for next March 2021 to the Caribbean-- suite selection cost $10,000 for two.  Then I checked the same cruise, same cabin selection but for November 2021-- same cost!  That can't be correct.

Yeah...current 2021 prices are high...I think they've turned off the computers that reprice for supply and demand.  At current prices, replacing our July Med back-to-backs--that we think our about to be cancelled--with similar itineraries in July/Augus of next year would be well over twice the price we paid--for the same category (with fewer perks, no less).  Those promised 125% FCCs won't be worth all that much unless they drop those prices!

They are living in a dream world.  Under no previous calamity, not 9/11, not the Great Recession, did prices stay high.  Best prices we ever got were post-those 2 events.

15-20% unemployment.

Sentiment worldwide strongly anti-cruise.

Very decreased experience.  

• Like 5

There probably won't be much price movement until they know what the demand is. With people out of work and an uncertain job future, the current new bookings may be attributed to the FCC's. Time will tell.

• Like 3

Demand for the cruises for 2021 and 2022 will be very high. I even forecast overbooking for 2021 especially. The situation is quite clear. People have moved their cancelled cruises to 21-22. Also other people are planning their cruises and I  am not even talking about new comers who will certainly  pick the best cruises available. So yes, the prices are clearly justified no matter the season and the period 

• Haha 1

Those avid cruisers who are suffering form cruise withdrawal syndrome will pay up to board a ship once again.  Most of the rest have sworn off cruising until Covid19 is a thing of the past.  Lower prices are unlikely to lure these people to return any sooner than they intend.

Our cruise for December 2020 is higher than the price we booked.  Frankly, we are considering cancelling because any vaccine will not be available before the cruise.  Also, we had thought the Constellation would be updated.  That update is now cancelled.  It was the prime reason we were going on that ship.  We had booked a suite.  Very disappointed but understanding.  However, given what was promised will not be delivered.  High price for a suite.

• Thanks 1

We have 4 cruises booked all the way to 2022 - either Aqua or suites.

No caribbean though... Europe, Asia and NZ.

Prices were actually netter than usual, which is why we booked three in suites.

Looking this morning at alternatives for us should we decided to move our cruise from next Feb to next October/November prices for Asia look to be around the same as when we booked back in November last year. We I’ll need to make a decision in September/October this year as we need to book the holidays and can’t change them.

18 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Demand for the cruises for 2021 and 2022 will be very high. I even forecast overbooking for 2021 especially. The situation is quite clear. People have moved their cancelled cruises to 21-22. Also other people are planning their cruises and I  am not even talking about new comers who will certainly  pick the best cruises available. So yes, the prices are clearly justified no matter the season and the period 

Well I hope you are right, but IMO there is no chance this is going to happen.  Even with a vaccine, demand will be reduced due to the wrecked economy.  Personally I think the best strategy is just sit back and wait.  Prices are definitely going (way) down, just like after 9/11 and the 2008 financial crisis.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mnocket said:

Those avid cruisers who are suffering form cruise withdrawal syndrome will pay up to board a ship once again.  Most of the rest have sworn off cruising until Covid19 is a thing of the past.  Lower prices are unlikely to lure these people to return any sooner than they intend.

I am not sure there will be enough of these "avid cruisers" to sail all the inventory and itineraries that are planned.

We would fall into that class (just passed 3 years onboard ships in March), have 11 booked and deposited, and we are in a very strong "wait and see" position.  If things don't change appreciably, we will be cancelling (or be cancelled) one by one.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I am not sure there will be enough of these "avid cruisers" to sail all the inventory and itineraries that are planned.

We would fall into that class (just passed 3 years onboard ships in March), have 11 booked and deposited, and we are in a very strong "wait and see" position.  If things don't change appreciably, we will be cancelling (or be cancelled) one by one.  

Maybe not ALL THE INVENTORY,  but all the suites and aqua for sure.   Avid cruisers already paid for their 2020 cruises and can't go.   So in 2021, they would want to treat themselves to an upgrade since they already have FCC to pay for part of the room. 

5 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Maybe not ALL THE INVENTORY,  but all the suites and aqua for sure.   Avid cruisers already paid for their 2020 cruises and can't go.   So in 2021, they would want to treat themselves to an upgrade since they already have FCC to pay for part of the room. 

Inventory meaning ships, not staterooms.  

But will be interesting to see if the goofy suite prices uphold.

I can help them with potential pent up demand.  We will not be sailing anytime soon. For sure not in 2020 (and for the record, I wanted to sail in November 2020 pre virus) and most likely the earliest would be spring 2021 if we are comfortable with the safety situation and pricing is a good deal.  Absent either of those 2 criteria, we will not sail.  Sailing in 2022 pricing will have to meet our value proposition and I clearly understand that I  can be in a small minority.  Doesn't change my decision process as there are, at least for us, many alternative choices.

I want to get back on a cruise, so hope a lot of positive things line up for cruise industry.

• Like 1

We have always found the best time to book a X cruise is when they first post the new interaries in the Nov/Dec timeframe. For example we booked a C2 cabin on a 14 day Best of Japan cruise back in 2018 which is due to set sail in Apr 2021 for $4,100 pp. It's now $5,800. We also have a 14 day TA we booked in 2019 in a SV cabin for Oct 2021 on the Apex for $2,749 pp. It's now $4,139 pp.

As others have mentioned, X prices their cruises based on supply and demand. But the prices I listed above were like that late last year, well before COVID became a pandemic.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

The prices have been going up over the last couple of years, at least in suites. I really dont see myself cruising out of east coast for 2 to 3 years as we live on the west coast. I'm sure I'm going to cancel our New Zealand cruise for March 2021. We will keep our Alaska cruise for June 2021 on Millie, if friends are still going to visit from England. 

Looking forward I'm going to only book cruise from Celebrity's last minute cruises under their Xciting Deals and my TA.

We are still on a stay at home until May 31, then a 4 stage opening. We went into stay at home in mid March. We are about 15 mins from the Kirkland, Washington nursing home. I'm liking this stay at home. I'm doing yard work, feeding the hummingbirds. Working on genealogy and organizing old family photos. Only going grocery shopping once a week. I have not spent a whole summer in Seattle in over 30 years.

Just now, Elusive_Cruiser said:

You know you are anti-social when the 'at home quarantine' does not change your lifestyle! 😁

Seriously, tho, we are currently debating our January 2021 cruise, which is booked with some cruising friends from Chicago.  We are mid-60s, they are early 70's.  Some of us are immune-challenged.  I think we'll hang on to the reservations for now... just in case a vaccine gets approved.  We'll never get the same price as we booked, as we book, like many of you, as soon as the itineraries come out..... wish I could sell our reservation on eBay! 😬

4 hours ago, Elusive_Cruiser said:

Seriously, tho, we are currently debating our January 2021 cruise, which is booked with some cruising friends from Chicago.  We are mid-60s, they are early 70's.  Some of us are immune-challenged.  I think we'll hang on to the reservations for now... just in case a vaccine gets approved.  We'll never get the same price as we booked, as we book, like many of you, as soon as the itineraries come out..... wish I could sell our reservation on eBay! 😬

There are positive sound bites coming out regarding the vaccine but I can’t see how it can be licensed and we then have mass immunisation by the start of next year. There was a debate on our tv a few days ago on the safety of the new vaccine. The question was if it’s rushed through  is it going to be as safe as one that’s being in development for years. The feeling was that it would be safe and no one would be put at risk. Another statement was that one possible outcome could be that it died out in the summer and did not actually return in the winter.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, mnocket said:

Those avid cruisers who are suffering form cruise withdrawal syndrome will pay up to board a ship once again. 

I am one of those avid cruisers suffering from withdrawal but I will not pay up for an over priced product just to get my fix.  I think I speak for many avid cruisers when I say that even we will back off an over priced cruise, especially if we've done a similar cruise in the past with more perks for a price that is far less than current offerings.  When cruising, I plan with my heart, but think with my wallet.  Most experienced cruisers know better, IMO.  If Celebrity wants to fill ships, they will eventually have to lower prices. This fact will become clear once they get the all clear to sail again and nobody shows up.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

On 5/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We just booked the Edge for December 2021 at great prices.  21 days (yes an inside which we don't care, never in the cabin anyways) for $6,400 with $975 obc. includes drink package and gratuities.

Wow!  That's a great price!