Final disembark on a tender port?

Comi.uy

Hi all.

Searched for this topic and couldnt find info.

We booked a transatlantic and plan is to go by plane and disembark in our country directly.

20-Day Transatlantic: Portugal

Problem is, PUNTA DEL ESTE is a tender port. We'll be doing b2b so its gonna be a lot of luggage for sure.

We are in our 30's but we know tenders can be quite hellish. Fortunately, when we disembark most people will be actually coming back so I expect a empty tender for us.

Is it doable? any advice?

The tender part is probably the least of your concern - as long as you are flexible on when you disembark (after the crowds have thinned), it might be OK.  But it would also depend on what they are using for tenders - some are quite large but sometimes they use the lifeboats which are considerably smaller. The other thing with tenders (and I know nothing about that particular port) is that sometimes the seas are too rough for the tenders - so you'd probably need a backup plan in the event you couldn't get off of the ship.

But you definitely have to work with the cruise line who has to work with immigration and customs, etc.  Even if it is your home country, you still have to officially enter the country, so the relevant officials would have to be available at the port.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The tender part is probably the least of your concern - as long as you are flexible on when you disembark (after the crowds have thinned), it might be OK.  But it would also depend on what they are using for tenders - some are quite large but sometimes they use the lifeboats which are considerably smaller. The other thing with tenders (and I know nothing about that particular port) is that sometimes the seas are too rough for the tenders - so you'd probably need a backup plan in the event you couldn't get off of the ship.

But you definitely have to work with the cruise line who has to work with immigration and customs, etc.  Even if it is your home country, you still have to officially enter the country, so the relevant officials would have to be available at the port.

Ive already done a NCL tender in punta del este, it was with lifeboats. I have a backup, disembark at buenos aires with everyone else and then take a bus or a ferry here no big deal but I rather just disembark here as ive been to buenos aires a million times no gain for us.

About immigration and customs lol, this is a third world shithole nobody cares im not worried about that. Only issue could be with NCL.

What would I start talking now, NCL agents dont care about a thing now except booking cruises for FCC holders, what could he do setup some trip instructions?

Edited by Comi.uy

I actually got on a ship in Punta Del Este.   🙂  🙂   NO problem.   you'll just bring your luggage on to the tender.    Since it sounds like it isn't urgent you'd be during "rush hour".   It will not be any problem.   🙂    I do suggest you simply rely on laundry and NOT over pack.   I can easily travel with my single, 25" bag and be gone for 6 weeks.    

Of course it will have to be approved and customs/immigration  available to enter you.    Have you verified this would be available for you already?    

We have ported at Punta Del Este (on Celebrity) and it is a tender port.  I can't imaging thousands disembarking from a ship at this port by tender.  The port is very small and can't imagine going through customs and immigration, much less getting to a major international airport.  Yes, it may be possible, but perhaps there is a simpler answer.  You do need to ask NCL about this.  I expect that your real disembarkation will be at Buenos Aires.

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Of course it will have to be approved and customs/immigration  available to enter you.    Have you verified this would be available for you already?    

If there is customs/immigration, then ill just use it, if not then I dont care its my home country.

6 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have ported at Punta Del Este (on Celebrity) and it is a tender port.  I can't imaging thousands disembarking from a ship at this port by tender.  The port is very small and can't imagine going through customs and immigration, much less getting to a major international airport.  Yes, it may be possible, but perhaps there is a simpler answer.  You do need to ask NCL about this.  I expect that your real disembarkation will be at Buenos Aires.

Its not going to be the entire cruise, just us. The final official disembark is in buenos aires as the picture shows

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

If there is customs/immigration, then ill just use it, if not then I dont care its my home country.

Sorry-  you HAVE to be officially entered    It’s a US ship coming from Europe.  You will HAVE to have this arranged prior.  You can not just walk into Uruguay.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You can not just walk into Uruguay.     

Ive done this twice already and in Montevideo, got off the cruise and straight to me house. Punta del este is a small city

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Regardless of whether it is your home country, I believe you may need NCL’s permission to do this, which is why posters above have advised you to contact NCL. 

Good luck! 

Closer to the date ill mail ncl to see what they tell me I guess

Edited by Comi.uy

11 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

I don't know if it applies everywhere, but I believe the CL is fined if a passenger isn't accounted for, depending on the itinerary/countries involved.  And if the CL is fined, rest assured they will pass the fine to you.

9 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

Ive done this twice already and in Montevideo, got off the cruise and straight to me house. Punta del este is a small city

Closer to the date ill mail ncl to see what they tell me I guess

Yes I have been to Punta Del Este several times and as I mentioned I also boarded a ship there.   And correct I know you can enter in Montevideo-   But I can guarantee if you weren’t cleared and officially entered ,  at the least the ship would have notified officials you didn’t reboard.     You certainly don’t even take Buquebus from Buenos Aries without official exit and entry.   

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I don't know if it applies everywhere, but I believe the CL is fined if a passenger isn't accounted for, depending on the itinerary/countries involved.  And if the CL is fined, rest assured they will pass the fine to you.

I wasnt fined on 2 separete unofficial disembarks in montevideo so not worried

The technical term is called downlining. You will need authorization from NCL prior to embarkation. 

Edit:

You need to contact NCL and have them connect you to the proper areas. You will not receive any prorated discount for the day's missed and in fact you may need to pay a fee for processing the early disembarkation.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Here is a copy of the downlining document I obtained prior to embarkation of a Caribbean cruise I wanted to disembark 2 days earlier. While it's from another cruiseline the process should be similar.

Screenshot_20200502-172333.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

Why not just verify,  officially???    Instead,  you are considering sneaking off the ship,  then holding up the ship when they start looking for you and calling your name??    Quite naive thinking your past-  predicts the future-   but good luck.    

1 minute ago, Budget Queen said:

Why not just verify,  officially???    Instead,  you are considering sneaking off the ship,  then holding up the ship when they start looking for you and calling your name??    Quite naive thinking your past-  predicts the future-   but good luck.    

On both times I closed my account and let the ship know I was disembarking, it was just like going off in the final port, no fuss.

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I doubt he'll be sneaking off a ship at a tender port with all his luggage....

That's the point precisely.    Reason,  why I suggest to verify current procedures.     I know a lot of people who have debarked in Montevideo -  but,  they were given instructions and clearance the day prior.   

2 hours ago, Comi.uy said:

1 hour ago, Comi.uy said:

On both times I closed my account and let the ship know I was disembarking, it was just like going off in the final port, no fuss.

I’m not quite sure why you started this thread, since you seem to push back at or have an answer for all the suggestions being made to you.  Is there some specific information you are seeking that everyone who has tried to help you here so far has missed? 

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Here is a copy of the downlining document I obtained prior to embarkation of a Caribbean cruise I wanted to disembark 2 days earlier. While it's from another cruiseline the process should be similar.

Screenshot_20200502-172333.png

I don't say that you are wrong but the process may not be similar at all because the US isn't involved.

US laws and regulations are not important everywhere in the world so the process may be completely different for the OP.

12 hours ago, Comi.uy said:

So, other than seeking some feedback concerning the actual experience of downlining at a tender port with a lot of luggage because of a b2b ...... you actually have everything under control because you've done it multiple times without issues or fines......  correct? 

Then why is everyone even bothering advising the OP to contact NCL, worry about customs, samples of documents, fines, sneaking off, etc???

Just wondering how this thread has over 20 posts when the answer is: since it's a life boat being used, you want to coordinate with NCL, when on the ship, as to the best time to disembark so you don't overwhelm passengers and crew..... and bring cash to tip the lifeboat crew who will be forced to act as luggage handlers. 

Done 

I like this guy's style (just tell it like it is),  sick people are allowed to get off the ship all the time cough cough (so why not this guy) - it is his vacation - he can have it his way-  just like a delicious whopper

Edited by Newleno

12 hours ago, esm54687 said:

So, other than seeking some feedback concerning the actual experience of downlining at a tender port with a lot of luggage because of a b2b ...... you actually have everything under control because you've done it multiple times without issues or fines......  correct? 

Then why is everyone even bothering advising the OP to contact NCL, worry about customs, samples of documents, fines, sneaking off, etc???

Ive done it before, just never in tender. If you see my first posts, it was only about the tender. Thanks all for the info!

2 hours ago, Comi.uy said:

Ive done it before, just never in tender. If you see my first posts, it was only about the tender. Thanks all for the info!

You seem to think the past is fixed.   Never will have different procedures ALWAYS will be the same. - for you.  

With you only wanting tender info. Of course luggage can and does go on and off tenders.   Do NOT over pack.  Very likely stairs are going to be involved with transferring bags. And limited space.