SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

On 4/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, TLCOhio said:

Also have heard very good things about Singapore and look forward to visiting there at a future date.  Have been considering either an early 2022 or 2023 Silversea cruise from Singapore to Mumbai with three days in Yangon ...

Terry,

Thanks for all the work on the thread.

Looks like we've moved to a discussion of when folks will be comfortable cruising again, which goes very nicely with this thread's theme of testing and when we'll be ready to go back.

So in that spirit, I offer the follow. I am optimistic but cautious. Cautious because as more and more information is published regarding the variants, I believe a booster is now imperative, and I will wait for that to be resolved. DH and I will write off the entire 2021 cruise seasons (Caribbean/European), that's already been decided. I will wait for more data before booking anything in 2022, and don't expect to decide until after the 2021 eastbound European transatlanics have been completed.

First cruise for us is likely to be a short one, southern Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. All of this is based upon merely my opinion, with a cautious perspective applying to basic public health principles.

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

Edited by docruth
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, docruth said:

Terry,

Thanks for all the work on the thread.

Looks like we've moved to a discussion of when folks will be comfortable cruising again, which goes very nicely with this thread's theme of testing and when we'll be ready to go back.

So in that spirit, I offer the follow. I am optimistic but cautious. Cautious because as more and more information is published regarding the variants, I believe a booster is now imperative, and I will wait for that to be resolved. DH and I will write off the entire 2021 cruise seasons (Caribbean/European), that's already been decided. I will wait for more data before booking anything in 2022, and don't expect to decide until after the 2021 eastbound European transatlanics have been completed.

First cruise for us is likely to be a short one, southern Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. All of this is based upon merely my opinion, with a cautious perspective applying to basic public health principles.

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

Sounds like a reasonable, conservative plan. The only 2021 possible cruise for us is in December to Antarctica on the Cloud--hopefully, the least likely cruise to possibly catch COVID after our vaccinations, but tell that to the poor souls stuck on last year's infamous Greg Mortimer cruise.

6 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Sounds like a reasonable, conservative plan. The only 2021 possible cruise for us is in December to Antarctica on the Cloud--hopefully, the least likely cruise to possibly catch COVID after our vaccinations, but tell that to the poor souls stuck on last year's infamous Greg Mortimer cruise.

Hopefully the Wind keeps its Antarctica  sailing 22 Dec 2021

On 4/22/2021 at 5:40 PM, docruth said:

Terry,   Thanks for all the work on the thread.  Looks like we've moved to a discussion of when folks will be comfortable cruising again, which goes very nicely with this thread's theme of testing and when we'll be ready to go back.   So in that spirit, I offer the follow. I am optimistic but cautious. Cautious because as more and more information is published regarding the variants, I believe a booster is now imperative, and I will wait for that to be resolved. DH and I will write off the entire 2021 cruise seasons (Caribbean/European), that's already been decided. I will wait for more data before booking anything in 2022.    Cheers, Doc Ruth

Appreciate these above comments and follow-up from Doc Ruth, plus the other helpful sharings by others.  Lots happening!!  Some good and clear??!!  Other not as much regarding vaccines world-wide, etc.    

From the New York Times Travel Section Sunday, they had this lead the C.D.C.” with this sub-headline: "Cruise companies and their allies are fighting against rules that have kept U.S. ships from sailing. But experts say controlling the coronavirus onboard is a complex puzzle."

Here are some of their story highlights: “In the United States, flights are filling up, hotels are getting booked, vacation rentals are selling out and car rental companies are facing a shortage because of spiking demand.  But one sector remains stalled: the cruise industry.  Cruise ships sailing out of United States ports have been docked for more than a year following a series of outbreaks of the coronavirus onboard vessels at the start of the pandemic. Now, cruise companies can restart operations only by following rules laid out  by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in October.  Earlier this month, the C.D.C. published a set of technical guidelines to help cruise companies prepare their ships to start sailing again in line with those rules, which were set out in the agency’s  Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. But the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry’s trade group, called the instructions 'so burdensome and ambiguous that no clear path forward or timetable can be discerned.'  Cruise companies have asked the agency to revise its guidelines to factor in the speedy rollout of vaccinations and allow for U.S. sailings to restart in July. But the C.D.C. has not yet provided a firm date, and under the current rules, cruise ships must follow a monthslong process that includes simulation voyages to test out their health and safety protocols, followed by a review period.”

Here is more from their reporting: "In response to the C.D.C.’s delay of U.S. sailings, some cruise lines are moving their ships abroad to launch summer cruises from foreign ports, including from the Caribbean and Europe, where they are permitted to sail. Many of the voyages require adult passengers and crew members to be vaccinated.  Carnival, the world’s largest cruise company, has warned that it might also look outside the United States if the C.D.C. continues to prevent cruises from sailing domestically.  The C.D.C.’s advisory regarding cruise travel remains at a Level 4, the highest, and the agency recommends that all people avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.  'That’s because the chance of getting Covid-19 on cruise ships is high since the virus appears to spread more easily between people in close quartes aboard ships,' the warning says."

The CDC and cruise industry seem very far apart from reaching any time pf "agreement" that makes both sides happy.  And for the cruise lines, just doing Greece and a few Caribbean islands, etc. might work a little this summer, but that plan hardly works for later this year.  What is next and when?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/section/travel

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,587 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these above comments and follow-up from Doc Ruth, plus the other helpful sharings by others.  Lots happening!!  Some good and clear??!!  Other not as much regarding vaccines world-wide, etc.    

From the New York Times Travel Section Sunday, they had this lead the C.D.C.” with this sub-headline: "Cruise companies and their allies are fighting against rules that have kept U.S. ships from sailing. But experts say controlling the coronavirus onboard is a complex puzzle."

Here are some of their story highlights: “In the United States, flights are filling up, hotels are getting booked, vacation rentals are selling out and car rental companies are facing a shortage because of spiking demand.  But one sector remains stalled: the cruise industry.  Cruise ships sailing out of United States ports have been docked for more than a year following a series of outbreaks of the coronavirus onboard vessels at the start of the pandemic. Now, cruise companies can restart operations only by following rules laid out  by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in October.  Earlier this month, the C.D.C. published a set of technical guidelines to help cruise companies prepare their ships to start sailing again in line with those rules, which were set out in the agency’s  Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. But the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry’s trade group, called the instructions 'so burdensome and ambiguous that no clear path forward or timetable can be discerned.'  Cruise companies have asked the agency to revise its guidelines to factor in the speedy rollout of vaccinations and allow for U.S. sailings to restart in July. But the C.D.C. has not yet provided a firm date, and under the current rules, cruise ships must follow a monthslong process that includes simulation voyages to test out their health and safety protocols, followed by a review period.”

Here is more from their reporting: "In response to the C.D.C.’s delay of U.S. sailings, some cruise lines are moving their ships abroad to launch summer cruises from foreign ports, including from the Caribbean and Europe, where they are permitted to sail. Many of the voyages require adult passengers and crew members to be vaccinated.  Carnival, the world’s largest cruise company, has warned that it might also look outside the United States if the C.D.C. continues to prevent cruises from sailing domestically.  The C.D.C.’s advisory regarding cruise travel remains at a Level 4, the highest, and the agency recommends that all people avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.  'That’s because the chance of getting Covid-19 on cruise ships is high since the virus appears to spread more easily between people in close quartes aboard ships,' the warning says."

The CDC and cruise industry seem very far apart from reaching any time pf "agreement" that makes both sides happy.  And for the cruise lines, just doing Greece and a few Caribbean islands, etc. might work a little this summer, but that plan hardly works for later this year.  What is next and when?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/section/travel

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,587 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

I still go back to a prior post of mine- most SS customers do not leave or return to/from the US on cruises and are more apt to want exotic destinations. If I never take a cruise leaving or arriving in the US, I am fine with that. If you look at the SS website, the majority of cruises don't depart or arrive at the US. In my world, the CDC and cruising is not going to affect my vacations. That being said, I really feel for all the workers and companies that will suffer by not cruising to or from the US and it is just plain sad.  Remember that "they are from the government and are here to help you". OMG I just lied again! Just my $.02 worth!!

• Like 2

Appreciate the above comments and follow-up from A Tucson Guy.  

Just got off of a 9 am quarterly Wall Street analyst reporting/conference call by Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain and other RCL top officials.  They talked about the new CDC clarifications that came out  last night.  Fain sees a "helpful path forward", but there still are more details to be determined.     Mid-July is a target point for cruises for getting back into some form of operations from US ports.  A re-start will still be gradual. More details to be posted later.

From the Orlando Sentinel this morning, they had this headline: “CDC lets cruise lines know that sailing could restart by mid-July” with these highlights: “Cruise lines may be getting the green light to return to sailing from U.S. ports by mid-July, according to a letter sent to industry heads by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  CDC spokesperson Caitlin Shockey told the newspaper that the letter means cruise lines could begin passenger sailings from U.S. ports by mid-July, but that it was still reliant on them following the guidelines in the CDC’s Framework for Conditional Sailing order. That order has been in place since last October in place of a no-sail order enacted in March 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic took hold. The framework outlined requirements cruise lines would need to follow, including building up testing infrastructure and running simulated sailings before any line could sail with paying customers again.  The CDC, though, has yet to give more information on just how cruise lines can get their simulated sailings up and running. At this point, the CDC has put the onus on the cruise lines to follow its latest technical guidance, which is precursor to the simulated sailings.”

Full story at:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-tr-cru-cdc-states-cruise-restart-mid-july-report-20210429-zqns4pmb2feapotk7mhzfnkhda-story.html

And more from this USA Today story:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/28/cdc-cruises-could-restart-july/4883450001/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,527 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Reuters newswire and Yahoo, they had this headline from this morning's Royal Caribbean Wall Street financial analysis: “Royal Caribbean aims to resume U.S. cruises in July after new CDC guidance”.

Here are some of their story highlights that match what I heard: “Royal Caribbean Group said on Thursday it was aiming to restart its U.S. cruises in July after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued new measures to speed up approvals, sending its shares up 2.5%.  Late on Wednesday, the CDC made public a letter to the cruise industry that said it was 'committed' to the resumption of passenger operations in the United States by mid-summer.  It followed a lawsuit from Alaska and Florida that sought to overturn the health agency's year-long ban on the cruise industry's operations.   A ship may skip simulated voyages and directly start open water sailing if it attests that 98% of its crew and 95% passengers are fully vaccinated.  The agency also said it would respond within five days to applications for simulated voyages, down from an anticipated 60 days.  However, there are still many concerns that need to be resolved, Royal Caribbean Chief Executive Officer Richard Fain said.  't could be possible to restart cruising by mid-July... the restart does not mean that we will immediately go into full operation. While we are hopeful about restarting, that restart will be gradual and deliberate."   Royal Caribbean on Thursday reported an adjusted loss of $1.1 billion for the first quarter ended March 31, compared with a loss of $310.4 million a year earlier.   The company said it burnt cash at the rate of $300 million per month in the quarter and ended the period with liquidity of about $5.8 billion.”

Good story and summary by Reuters.  More details next from my notes while listening to this hour-long program, various questions, etc.

Full story at:

https://news.yahoo.com/royal-caribbean-reports-1-1-121552679.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,659 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 1

Hi Terry,🙂 wasn't the no sail order in place until November out of the US? If they are moving it up to July then I guess they really feel like there has been a big improvement. 4 months difference in the time frame.

46 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Just got off of a 9 am quarterly Wall Street analyst reporting/conference call by Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain...

Boy, has his hair ever looked wilder than today?  I’ve never seen his hair ungroomed, so it was a bit shocking.

From my summary notes about the Royal Caribbean top executives doing their quarterly conference call with the Wall Street financial analysts this morning, there was an optimism due to the new order last night from the CDC.  BUT, CEO Richard Fain was also very realistic and honest in noting that there are still many more details to be worked out and determined.  Mid-July is a good target date, but they will not be in full operations this summer.   The key word is "gradual".  

It was noted that RCL has shared data with CDC from the 125,000 passengers that their cruise lines have had in Asia and Europe.  RCL noted that the Covid problems were tiny during those cruises and that these were done without the benefit of vaccines being wide in use. There was mention that RCL has three brand new ships, including Silversea Silver  Moon to be used this summer.  Those new ships are better in design and operating efficiencies.     

The RCL CFO Jason Liberty shared that they have $2 billion in advance deposits with 45% of the total coming from FCC (future cruise credits).    Royal Caribbean has raised $12.3 billion in capital since March 2020 and has $5.8 billion in cash on hand. They have also renegotiated certain capital/mortgage costs and lowered  certain debt repayments.  This summer, they are looking to have nine ships returning to sailing.  That represents 19% of their capacity.  The summer sailings will be at a lower capacity, but it is too soon to know those exact targets/numbers, yet. 

In aiming for having 98% of those sailing being vaccinated, kids on cruises makes that question more difficult to determine and quantify  They pointed out those numbers are "guidelines" from CDC, not iron-clad mandates.  They view the RCL current fleet to be good and not needing more sell-offs.   A question came up about their workforce from India, given its current raging infection rates in that large country.  RCL has suspended crewing from there now.  It is an “evolving story” as to the expected load capacity for upcoming cruises.  

On Alaska cruises for this summer, CEO Fain said it is a complex challenge due to Canada's policies and situation.  They are working on options, but he admitted that it is far from certain now.  They noted on several questions that there is still much to work on with the CDC.  “A lot of uncertainty” was mentioned multiple times.   There are many "fluid factors".  They are more certain as to where things will be in 2022 and 2023.

Questions?  Comments?  Reactions? 

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Musse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the updates Terry.Key words are Gradual,Still much to work on,complex challenges with certain countries.Too many unknowns and differences throughout the World for us to even consider booking again despite the in built desire to get cruising on SS again.Need to feel Normality at 95%of pre Pandemic prior to calling our travel agent again but when that will be who knows?

Curious to see what happens if our Florida Governor DeSantis attempts to prevent these CDC vaccine guidelines from applying to the cruise lines using Florida ports. Also note that the Florida Legislature just voted to overturn Key West's ban on larger cruise ships, and is apparently about to pass a bill whereby businesses, schools and government entities across Florida will be barred from asking anyone to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry,🙂 wasn't the no sail order in place until November out of the US? If they are moving it up to July then I guess they really feel like there has been a big improvement. 4 months difference in the time frame.

As I understand or re-call that November 2021 order is still in place.  BUT!!!  The CDC is under serious pressure on many fronts (in the courts, from various Governors, from Congress, in public opinion, etc.) to loosen up some of the rules as the vaccine progress has been so very significant n the U.S.  That vaccine success has been huge, especially for those older, the most serious, at-risk group.  PLUS, science and the CDC now realizes that some earlier "assumptions" for cleaning surfaces to prevent spread, wearing masks, safe distancing, etc., have been re-evaluated, modified, and been more deeply researched. The result has been certain "re-fining" of the rules, etc.  Is that a fair summary? 

From the Miami Herald in the heart of the cruise industry late this morning, they had this headline: Thanks to vaccinations, cruises could restart from South Florida in July, CDC says with these highlights: “Cruise companies can speed up their restarts in U.S. waters if they guarantee most crew and passengers are vaccinated against COVID-19, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a letter to companies Wednesday night obtained by the Herald — meaning passenger cruises could restart from South Florida in July.  If ships can certify that 98% of their crew and 95% of their passengers are vaccinated, they won’t need to do test cruises before restarting passenger operations, the letter said. The CDC estimates that passengers could be boarding cruise ships in U.S. waters as soon as mid-July depending on how quickly cruise companies meet the agency’s requirements.  The change to the restart timeline comes after a month of twice-weekly meetings between the CDC’s maritime team and the cruise industry and ports.”

Here is more from their news story:  "CEO of Royal Caribbean International Michael Bayley said the quicker timeline for vaccinated cruises is a positive development.  'The mood of Royal Caribbean last night and late into the night was simply positive that all of this dialogue that was constructive resulted in clearly being heard,' he said on a company earnings call Thursday. 'The vaccines are the major foundational game changing element of this.'  In its letter to cruise companies Wednesday, the CDC also changed testing and quarantine requirements for passengers and crew. Once U.S. cruises restart, fully vaccinated people will be required to take a rapid antigen test— whose results are usually available within in a few hours — before boarding instead of a PCR test, whose results can take days. Passengers who require a post-cruise quarantine period will be able to quarantine at their home if they live within driving distance of the ship."

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article251020944.html

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 253,347 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Boy, has his hair ever looked wilder than today?  I’ve never seen his hair ungroomed, so it was a bit shocking.

This morning on that Wall Street analysis call, I was listening on the telephone.  Did not get to see the visuals of CEO Fain, etc.  BUT, as we know with Zoom and such video conferencing from home these days, people do not always "dress up", comb their hair, etc.  Maybe I was luck to be spared that visual??!!

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Cruise Lines Could Start U.S. Sailings by Mid-July, CDC Says" with this sub-headline: "The update paves the way for the restart of operations that have been suspended for longer than a year amid the Covid-19 pandemic”.

Here are their story highlights that might be of interest: “Cruise operators could restart sailings out of the U.S. by mid-July.   The CDC, in a letter to cruise-industry leaders Wednesday evening, also said cruise ships can proceed to passenger sailings without test cruises if they attest that 98% of crew members and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated. The move was a result of twice-weekly meetings with cruise representatives over the past month, the agency said.  The CDC on Wednesday said it would now review and respond to applications for simulated voyages within five days.  'This puts cruise ships closer to open-water sailing sooner,' the CDC said.  The cruise industry and its stakeholders have been critical of the CDC’s approach in recent weeks, particularly after the agency lifted broader travel restrictions. The industry has accused the CDC of treating it differently than other hospitality sectors.   'We acknowledge that cruising will never be a zero-risk activity and that the goal of the [conditional-sailing order’s] phased approach is to resume passenger operations in a way that mitigates the risk of Covid-19 transmission onboard cruise ships and across port communities,'  Aimee Treffiletti, head of the maritime unit within the CDC’s Covid-19 global migration task force, said in the letter to cruise leaders.  For the first passenger voyages out of the U.S., fully vaccinated people can now take a rapid test upon embarkation instead of a polymerase chain-reaction test, the CDC said. Passengers will be able to quarantine at home if they are within driving distance, the agency added.”

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-lines-could-start-u-s-sailings-by-mid-july-cdc-says-11619670325

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 241,752 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hopefully if we are all vaccinated we will also test negative? 

Though are they saying that you would always test positive because you have vaccine antibodies in you for a long time / ever? I thought you were only positive for 2 weeks - and if you haven't seen anyone in that time, how can you be positive?

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Terry? Or Richard Fain?

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hopefully if we are all vaccinated we will also test negative? 

Yes. There are two different tests. Antigen test (nasal swab) to test for viral particles in the nose indicating infection / carriage, vs antibody test (blood test) to test for neutralizing antibodies in the blood indicating immunity. The latter is what should stay positive for many months after the vaccine, though we don't really know how long. Immunity should greatly reduce the frequency of the nasal test being positive because it prevents the vast majority of infections. And the nasal test DOES NOT pick up antibodies so the vaccine doesn't make you test positive (that way).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, jpalbny said:

Terry? Or Richard Fain?   Yes. There are two different tests. Antigen test (nasal swab) to test for viral particles in the nose indicating infection / carriage, vs antibody test (blood test) to test for neutralizing antibodies in the blood indicating immunity. The latter is what should stay positive for many months after the vaccine, though we don't really know how long. Immunity should greatly reduce the frequency of the nasal test being positive because it prevents the vast majority of infections. And the nasal test DOES NOT pick up antibodies so the vaccine doesn't make you test positive (that way).

Appreciate the excellent follow-up by our medical expert, J.P., about these testing differences.  Very helpful.  Even with our having received our second shot of Moderna two full months ago, it looks still  like some of form of testing might be in our future.  Cute, fun question as to whether my hair or CEO Fain's seemed more "wild".  Glad at my age to still have some hair up there!!

From the Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barron's this morning, they had this headline: Vaccinations and Vacations: Here’s Your Guide to Safe and Savvy Summer Travels” with these highlights: “After a year during which many Americans canceled travel plans and hunkered down amid the pandemic, this summer figures to mark a tentative return to traditional pastimes as more people get Covid-19 vaccines. It won’t look quite like prepandemic travel, however, as many states are still limiting capacity in public venues and once-popular businesses reliant on tourism may have folded. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends against unnecessary travel even though it has eased its mask advisory for vaccinated people in public settings and said in April that fully vaccinated people are less likely to get and spread Covid-19.   Cruising could be back by mid-July as the CDC has reportedly eased its conditional no-sail order to potentially allow cruising based on the levels of guest vaccinations.  For some, taking a vacation has become necessary travel from a mental-health standpoint, said Dr. Emily Landon, an infectious-disease specialist at the University of Chicago Medicine who is also working with Chicago and Illinois officials on safe reopening guidelines. 'If you’re just looking to go on vacation, because you need to escape your life…then you want to just be as careful as possible,' she says.  Careful traveling this year means keeping up safety protocols whether someone is vaccinated or not: washing hands, wearing masks in crowded public places, and maintaining social distance to help reduce spreading the virus. Experts say these precautions are particularly important for vulnerable seniors as vaccines aren’t 100% effective.  For now, vaccine passports aren’t likely to be required widely since there is no credential standards, but international travelers may have to provide proof of vaccinations and/or negative tests before boarding , and some industries also are likely to require screening or vaccine documentation.

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/vaccinations-and-vacations-heres-your-guide-to-safe-and-savvy-summer-travels-51619824299?refsec=retirement

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,114 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From the French newswire AFP through MSN News this afternoon, they had this headline: Costa Cruises sets sail again after four-month Covid break with these highlights: “Italian cruise line Costa Cruises set sail on Saturday for the first time in more than four months, buoying an industry capsized by the Covid-19 pandemic.  The flagship Costa Smeralda left the northwestern port of Savona at 6.15 pm (1615 GMT) after being landbound since December 20, when the Italian government banned cruises during the holiday season due to the coronavirus crisis.  An enthused Roberta Cappelletti, a 60-year-old singer, came all the way from northeastern Predappio to take the cruise.  'It is a great emotion, I am moved to tears being able to cruise again -- it's like a renaissance for me,' she said before taking her coronavirus test so she could hop on board.  The ship left port with around 1,500 passengers on board -- a quarter of its full capacity.  All passengers and crew were first tested for coronavirus and mask-wearing will mandatory throughout the trip.  The 1,300 crew had first observed a 14-day quarantine before reporting for duty.

Be interested to see how operations happen during this early cruising re-start for Costa and their passengers work, any issues raised, etc.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/costa-cruises-sets-sail-again-after-four-month-covid-break/ar-BB1gggK2?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 90,273 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

As to the earlier comment from Stumblefoot about Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain's hair this past week, now you can judge for yourself.  Stumblefoot said "Boy, has his hair ever looked wilder than today?  I’ve never seen his hair ungroomed, so it was a bit shocking."   See below!!  Your verdict?

From CNBC cable news, they had this headline from their on-air interview: “Royal Caribbean CEO, after months of cajoling, praises CDC’s new path to resume U.S. cruises” with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain on Thursday cheered the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s updated coronavirus policies for resumption of cruises from U.S. ports.  'We’re really very pleased and very excited because it really does set forth a pathway that we think is achievable, practical and safe,' Fain said on CNBC’s 'Squawk on the Street.'  The CDC said it will modify testing and quarantine requirements related to restarting sailing to 'closely align' with the agency’s latest policies for people who have been vaccinated, as well as for those who have not.”

During this interview, CEO Fain was pressed about the upcoming staffing challenges that are facing many in the current U.S. hospitality industry.  Here is more from their reporting for that topic area: "As cruise operators look to ramp up sailings in the months, experts say a labor shortage could challenge the industry. About 15% of crew comes from India, a country dealing with a horrific Covid surge. Fain told CNBC he doesn’t see India’s coronavirus situation resulting in a staffing shortage, at this time, but conceded it will make it more challenging."

Full story at:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/royal-caribbean-ceo-fain-praises-cdcs-new-path-to-resume-us-cruises.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,301 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From the CNBC cable news interview Thursday, here is the "work-from-home look" of  Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1166965765_ScreenShot2021-05-01at2_59_57PM.thumb.png.f58e328f524f54d27fb3b00f063cd460.png

• Like 2