Quarantine protocals

hasbro

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Ships operating at 25% capacity means that the cruise will not be profitable or the cruise fare will be 4 times as much.  Not a business model compatible with the current fleet. 

baby steps, dude, baby steps … just like restaurants opening up in our area

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Of course this is true every time in the future you go to a movie theater, Broadway show, baseball, football or basketball game, high school graduation, on an airplane, symphony, wedding, etc.

Yes this is true with a host of other diseases, but Covid-19 has shown the ability (so far) to spread much easier than other known diseases.

You may be willing to avoid cruising, but how much of the rest of "normal" life activities will you also avoid?

I agree with your premises above however there are two big differences from "normal" life, at least to me.  1) if I go to the Symphony I am exposed to others for perhaps 3 hours, not several days, and 2) far more important, if I catch it I can quarantine at home vs. being trapped on a ship bobbing at sea looking for a port to accept me.  The last one is somewhat unique to cruising and IMO will drive many away.

• Like 1

While there was no Covid-19 on the Spirit and so no quarantine the worst problem was the TOTAL lack of real information about what was going on.   I assume that there was the same problem elsewhere.

NCL people in Miami and their other offices and on board ships need to take a lot of lessons in communication.

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Of course, this is only if social distancing is still needed, but they will find a way to make it work. If you absolutely need to sit next to your spouse in order to enjoy a show, you might have to settle for sitting in your cabin and watching it on TV.

Life will go on, and that includes cruising.

My concern is that we may not like cruising in it's new form. We truly love to cruise but that may no longer be the case once we experience the new form of cruising. Only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

You lack imagination...let's take your argument point by point: Shows....simplified staging, reservations for every other seat, shows simulcast to other venues & cabins. Ships too big, make smaller ships. Turn buffet into served food court, with reservations mandatory. Excursions...not sure why you feel they'd all be cancelled. Tendering would require more time...less people on each tender. Maybe, they'll stop visiting tendering ports, or reduce the number of ports for each sailing. Cruise lines and passengers will both need to adapt. There are so many possibilities to keep cruising alive, just open your mind.

The demise of NCL for one will put more customers towards the carnival brand. And with regard to the shows what about the performers who will for 45 or 50 minutes twice or 3 times a night be within 2 meters of each other pretty much the whole time plus the dressing room is the size of a cabin. And they can't sing wearing masks. Excursions what about the coaches and the travel time. Building smaller ships when they can't use the larger ones is just draining money away.

Edited by ace2542

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The demise of NCL for one will put more customers towards the carnival brand.

good

and maybe Princess and HAL will somehow blend into one stronger unit

• Like 1

You lack imagination...let's take your argument point by point: . . .Turn buffet into served food court, with reservations mandatory. . . .

On the pre-Royal ships, the buffet was at least a partially served situation.  Don't know about the reservations idea:  on port days folks tend to want to eat breakfast more or less the same time as they have excursions, etc.  Could work on sea days, though.

Of course, this is only if social distancing is still needed, but they will find a way to make it work. . . .

Amen.  Ships are hardly the only "venue" that will need to change.  There are theaters, restaurants, amusement parks, etc. where it would be difficult to maintain a 6-ft distance.  Plus many businesses are going to find it hard for current social distancing (read "expensive" if not impossible) just as plants of all kinds are now finding out.  And, anyway, social distancing is only for the next month or two, I believe.

11 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

On the pre-Royal ships, the buffet was at least a partially served situation.  Don't know about the reservations idea:  on port days folks tend to want to eat breakfast more or less the same time as they have excursions, etc.  Could work on sea days, though.

With reduced passenger load, inside cabins could easily/cheaply converted into private dining rooms.....there are endless possibilities, you just have to think out of the box. Like I said earlier, adapt or perish.

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

with regard to the shows what about the performers who will for 45 or 50 minutes twice or 3 times a night be within 2 meters of each other pretty much the whole time plus the dressing room is the size of a cabin.

Very simple fixes...staging will have to change to keep the performers father away from each other, and those quick costume changes will have to be eliminated.....nothing is impossible.

Edited by CineGraphic

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

With reduced passenger load, inside cabins could easily/cheaply converted into private dining rooms.....there are endless possibilities, you just have to think out of the box. Like I said earlier, adapt or perish.

Very simple fixes...staging will have to change to keep the performers father away from each other, and those quick costume changes will have to be eliminated.....nothing is impossible.

First paragraph: You are spending a lot of money changing them ships around with less money coming in.

Second paragraph: Do you know how much those shows cost to put on? Millions that is why you see them for a number of years. Cunard shows last 5-7 years and they cost millions to put on from what I was told. You can't just re-write them at the drop of hat. Again money being spent with less coming in.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

First paragraph: You are spending a lot of money changing them ships around with less money coming in.

Second paragraph: Do you know how much those shows cost to put on? Millions that is why you see them for a number of years. Cunard shows last 5-7 years and they cost millions to put on from what I was told. You can't just re-write them at the drop of hat. Again money being spent with less coming in.

Less passengers means higher prices...the days of cheap cruises may be over if a vaccine isn't created in a timely manner.

Changing things doesn't have to be expensive. Simplifying a show is probably the cheapest change to make.

Less passengers means higher prices...the days of cheap cruises may be over if a vaccine isn't created in a timely manner.

I repeat: Adapt or perish. Corporations like CCL will choose to adapt, as there is no profit margin in perishing.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

Changing things doesn't have to be expensive. Simplifying a show is probably the cheapest change to make.

I repeat: Adapt or perish. Corporations like CCL will choose to adapt, as there is no profit margin in perishing.

How much higher though? You will price a lot of people out of the market that way. And a lot lines and brands won't survive even with the changes you are talking about. But it yeah sounds like vaccine will be around by next easter from various news reports.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:20 PM, casofilia said:

If I had to come in contact with someone with Covid19 I would prefer it to be on a cruise ship rather than finding out a week later that someone on a plane, train or bus that I had been on had gone down with it!!

Really???  Why??? 

I would MUCH rather be home, or on land, where availability to hospitals/treatment is readily available.  And where I will be in charge of my OWN situation, not held prisoner for days on end on a ship because someone ELSE is ill.

• Like 1

If I found out a week after debarking from a ship that I MIGHT have been a contact then how about all the people I MIGHT have been in contact with in those 7 days!!!   I would not want it on my conscience that I MIGHT have passed something on to them.

There have been people who have been infectious and passed it on but for whom the effects have been so minimal that they haven't even known that they had been infected.

Thinking outside the box. What if there is a breakthrough in testing? If there could be a test like pricking your finger or giving a saliva sample at the pier before boarding and results could be determined in a few minutes. If you test positive, you can't board. This might also help with the social distancing issues once on board.  If "technically" everyone has tested negative right before boarding, the possibility of spreading the virus by casual contact would be reduced considerably.

I know this is not possible right now, but science has been known to advance quickly in some cases.  I just hope cruising can come back and still be as enjoyable as it was for myself and my family for many years.  

• Like 1

@MrBill64

That would be excellent as the ship would know that everyone was "SAFE"!!   However what about a false negative? Or two or three!!!

I imagine that some countries would not accept a test done "a week" before arrival at their port (TA boarding in USA and acceptable in Europe?)   I would guess that such a test would have to be done every day before people would be allowed ashore!!!   Then EVERYONE would have to be negative.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:00 PM, hasbro said:

Just wondering if an entire ship will still be quarantined  (once cruising resumes)  if a single case of covid19 is discovered.  If this is the case, I would be extremely reluctant to cruise knowing that a single case will result in my being stuck on the ship for at least 2 additional weeks.  Comments?

It was serious enough to have us shelter at home since mid March, so I would expect the ship would take measures on a ship if anyone is infected with this virus.

If worried, do not cruise until you feel comfortable doing so.

14 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@MrBill64

That would be excellent as the ship would know that everyone was "SAFE"!!   However what about a false negative? Or two or three!!!

I imagine that some countries would not accept a test done "a week" before arrival at their port (TA boarding in USA and acceptable in Europe?)   I would guess that such a test would have to be done every day before people would be allowed ashore!!!   Then EVERYONE would have to be negative.

yes ! - all passengers could embed a chip into their body, that continuously scans their device  for viruses .. so the crew can then scan that device whenever a passenger gets on or off the ship … as easy as scanning a cruise card or a OM

I would have that done in a heartbeat … to have an internal device monitoring my body at all times that I could check at any time with a simple monitor /device - as easy as taking a temperature , but a full body scan …  sign me up

not really that far fetched if you think about it … and not just for cruise ships, but for all gatherings

Edited by voljeep

1 hour ago, MrBill64 said:

What if there is a breakthrough in testing? If there could be a test like pricking your finger or giving a saliva sample at the pier before boarding and results could be determined in a few minutes

I've heard that they already have a test that takes an hour, or less.

9 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I've heard that they already have a test that takes an hour, or less.

Of course there is the economics of testing thousands of passengers, but if the test was accurate that would go a long way to eliminating passengers spreading the virus once onboard.