Carnival resuming cruises August 1 in Caribbean

I just read an article about this and cannot believe they think it will proceed. Texas has reported a spike in reported cases of COVID-19 after removing restrictions. Source

I found it interesting that Carnival has proceeded without talking to the CDC.

"CDC will continue to work with cruise lines to ensure all necessary public health procedures are in place when cruise lines do begin regular sailing. CDC has not consulted with any of the cruise lines on timelines for resuming cruise travel for passengers.” Source

Have the Caribbean countries agreed to having cruises disembark their passengers into local ports? A quick look at Covid 19 figures for the Caribbean shows that there are relatively few cases and deaths. This could change dramatically, if shiploads of Northern Americans start arriving.

Leigh

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Have the Caribbean countries agreed to having cruises disembark their passengers into local ports? A quick look at Covid 19 figures for the Caribbean shows that there are relatively few cases and deaths. This could change dramatically, if shiploads of Northern Americans start arriving.

Leigh

and when they return  , will they have to be quarantined?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

This includes dates cruises are cancelled to in Australia - 31/8, plus trans Pacific from Honolulu to Brisbane 6/10/20.

Edited by MMDown Under

It is interesting that the only ships referred to are Carnival ones......... 

What about the rest of Carnival brands ??  the other 78 ships

Carnival branded counts for 26 ships

Also I would have thought they would have started with out and back single country cruises..

Cheers Don

Sorry just reread the articulate it was only stating for carnival cruises... nobody else 

Edited by getting older slowly
update

ACM newspapers are reporting the following. 

"Cruises operated by Carnival Corporation, which had included the Ruby Princess, will resume again in Australia from September 1."

image.png.9d7d753d6229197f13dabce3d085ff49.png Tell them they're dreamin'.

We would like to share an update on P&O’s operations from our President Sture Myrmell:

Hi everyone, we wanted to bring you an update on P&O’s sailings scheduled to depart from June 16 this year. In response to continuing travel restrictions due to the impact of COVID-19, it has become necessary to extend our pause in operations in Australia and New Zealand to August 31, 2020.

Australia and New Zealand have led the world in flattening the COVID-19 curve, which adds to our optimism for the future. We are confident in the knowledge that cruising will be back but at this point in time we recognise a further extension to our pause is the prudent and responsible course of action.

Over the coming weeks, our team will make contact with all those guests affected by this development and we apologise for the disruption to future holiday plans.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of our guests again for their understanding and support during this period of uncertainty. Like you, we are looking forward to better times ahead and welcoming you onboard our ships when it is safe to do so.

Yes, you'd have to wonder where these ships are going to go. There is no way any Caribbean port is going to allow a ship full of Americans to offload in the the middle of a pandemic. They would have to be nuts to allow it.

I also wonder how the crews are supposed to getting to their ships.

You'd have to think that this is an announcement designed to take some financial pressure off the company rather than anything to be taken seriously.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

I think it's more an extension of the current pause, rather than a definite expectation of return.

To cancel they have to put a date there. They're not going to arbitrarily cancel til say the end of the year, so they just extend it incrementally. That enables refunds/credits to be paid.

It's pretty much the only way it can be done, as things are fluid and there is no overall certainty of when they can restart.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I was due to pay the balance on a July 31 Carnival Splendor cruise from Sydney on May 4th. I am getting my deposit back. I had reached out to the travel agent (the one that is closing) before the announcement and they were great, most helpful. 

4 hours ago, cme2c said:

Coincidentally, I was due to pay the balance on a July 31 Carnival Splendor cruise from Sydney on May 4th. I am getting my deposit back. I had reached out to the travel agent (the one that is closing) before the announcement and they were great, most helpful. 

That is good to hear.

I wish some of these companies would be a bit more realistic with when they can actually sail (due to government policy), not just when they want to. In the mean time they are hording customers' monies  and providing FCCs as a stop gap

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I wish some of these companies would be a bit more realistic with when they can actually sail (due to government policy), not just when they want to. In the mean time they are hording customers' monies  and providing FCCs as a stop gap

Pity Government Regulatory Bodies don't step in to stop cruise lines advertising cruises when they won't be able to sail due to Government policies.  Meanwhile the poor customers wait for their refunds.  

58 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

But there isn't any government policy on when things will reopen. So how can the cruiselines make cancellations based on that?

The PM said in a live interview today that there is no date for opening of ports to cruise ships.