Sounds like NCL is in trouble... May be time to cancel my October RCI cruise...

I wonder what effect an NCL closing would mean to the Cape Liberty market.

NCL sails out of NYC to Bermuda and the Caribbean with cruises both short and long like 14 days.

We didn't like the way the ship or terminal was run by NCL but our 14 day Winter cruise from NYC on the Breakaway to ports as far south as the ABC's was more than fantastic. 

They cruise 3 ships on an almost continuous basis.

Might be something for Royal, Azamara or Celebrity to look into especially if they are going to reduce Asian and European cruises.. 

The passenger base within 100 - 200 miles of that area is staggering and a port that requires no air travel for that many people might be VERY attractive. 

That's what negative interest rates are for [emoji846]

None of the cruise lines are likely to qualify for anything near negative interest rates for years. Many are having to pay 11 - 12%+ to get any takers for their bond issues.

40 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

None of the cruise lines are likely to qualify for anything near negative interest rates for years. Many are having to pay 11 - 12%+ to get any takers for their bond issues.

Well maybe NCL will not have to be sold for scrap,

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/norwegian-cruise-line-raises-over-2-billion-to-withstand-well-over-a-year-without-revenue.html

14 hours ago, travelhound said:

They will need more than a year worth of $$$.  I don't know how people in our society think this thing is just going to go away and things go back to normal.  I still contend the CDC will not allow cruising anytime soon - regardless of what Carnival is saying about sailing again in August. 

We were on Norwegian for the firs time this past fall (NYC-Bermuda) and absolutely loved it.    I would so hate to see them disappear.   Hoping for the best for each of the big 3 ...   as well as the smaller lines (MSC, etc).   The cruise industry was so rubust and vibrant up till just a couple of months ago ..  its hard to fathom all of this happening right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

They will need more than a year worth of $$$.  I don't know how people in our society think this thing is just going to go away and things go back to normal.  I still contend the CDC will not allow cruising anytime soon - regardless of what Carnival is saying about sailing again in August. 

The infusion is good for about a year with no revenue sailings.  The industry has to get back to sailing with customers well before a year or many other cruise lines will also go into financial crisis.  The quest is what resumed sailing looks like. To reduce public area density we may need ships to sail at less than 100% ... 75? 50?  How much cash will the cruise lines burn if the cost of operating a cruise does not equal a profit on the cruise?  For how long can this go on... until vaccines are working and we declare social distance isn't needed? 

The CDC has issued a plan for cruising to resume - but it's demanding. They require ICU level medical facilities and qualifications and a evacuation plan for anyone sick that does not send them to US soil. They recommend a separate ship outfitted as a hospital!

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

The infusion is good for about a year with no revenue sailings.  The industry has to get back to sailing with customers well before a year or many other cruise lines will also go into financial crisis.  The quest is what resumed sailing looks like. To reduce public area density we may need ships to sail at less than 100% ... 75? 50?  How much cash will the cruise lines burn if the cost of operating a cruise does not equal a profit on the cruise?  For how long can this go on... until vaccines are working and we declare social distance isn't needed? 

The CDC has issued a plan for cruising to resume - but it's demanding. They require ICU level medical facilities and qualifications and a evacuation plan for anyone sick that does not send them to US soil. They recommend a separate ship outfitted as a hospital!

Even if the ship is at 50% occupancy - this will not stop the spread.  I'm worried about the industry - just don't see how they can navigate these complicated times.  

17 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Easier to build a hospital on Coco Cay😇

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Even if the ship is at 50% occupancy - this will not stop the spread.  I'm worried about the industry - just don't see how they can navigate these complicated times.  

I think everyone (except our government) is watching the Asian countries that have run the course of the outbreak and begun to return with new norms.  However, their new norms are strict. masks, temperature checks, gloves, distance. And they enforce it.  If they do not have a rise in new cases, then it may be proved we can move about under strict new norms.

But can Americans do that?  I agree and have doubts.  I am appalled at how many people are taking to the streets and beaches without masks...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

The CEO of NCL is going to be on CNBC with Jim Cramer tonight.  He is going to talk about their plan to resume cruising.

Yes - here's the link to the interview:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/norwegian-cruise-line-ceo-we-expect-to-sail-sometime-in-2020.html

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, Scottee25 said:

More than likely they will file bankruptcy and restructure debts in hopes of emerging and conducting business once the greatest risks of the pandemic are behind this.

Exactly right, bankruptcy doesn't mean they don't exist.  It just means they don't have to service their debt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Even with the Date all subject to change. Probably will be give and take with Cruise Lines and CDC. If not wouldnt be first time other parts Govt directed or override CDC... As long as it's sailing I plan of boarding my ship this yr

13 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Where is the plan listed.  I haven't seen or heard specifics at this point.

15 hours ago, F27TW said:

We were on Norwegian for the firs time this past fall (NYC-Bermuda) and absolutely loved it.    I would so hate to see them disappear.   Hoping for the best for each of the big 3 ...   as well as the smaller lines (MSC, etc).   The cruise industry was so rubust and vibrant up till just a couple of months ago ..  its hard to fathom all of this happening right now. 

We did that cruise on NCL about 5 years ago.  It was a really good time.  I hope NCL is able to survive this crisis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travelhound said:

We did that cruise on NCL about 5 years ago.  It was a really good time.  I hope NCL is able to survive this crisis.

Never sailed NCL, but they have pushed the industry in good directions. At least from my standpoint. Competition is always good for keeping all the players on their toes. 

42 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Never sailed NCL, but they have pushed the industry in good directions. At least from my standpoint. Competition is always good for keeping all the players on their toes. 

We always liked their Freestyle dinning