Refunds - any received to date?

OSUTRIKERS

On 7/8/2020 at 4:41 AM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Give them a call.

Thanks. I did. "Still processing". 4 months and counting.....Now I'm concerned about the expiration dates on the FCC. Sigh.

Edited by dmcfad2

28 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Thanks. I did. "Still processing". 4 months and counting.....Now I'm concerned about the expiration dates on the FCC. Sigh.

Mine said:  Received today
Book by Jul 8 2021                  Sail by Dec 31 2022

A full refund for one of the SS suites I booked for our HAL cancelled July 11 Alaska Cruise posted today on my CC🙂. Now waiting for the refund for the other suite I booked on the same cruise.

My refund came in today. Not bad - just about two months since they first announced in May they were cancelling my upcoming cruise. We were set to fly out this Thursday and sail from Amsterdam on Sunday. At least, if I have to suffer through the cancellation, I take consolation that my money has been fully refunded now.

Late yesterday HAL applied my FCC to a cruise I have booked for Aug, 2021.  Strange, as I also have one for Jan, 2021 booked.  I did not request this lately, but perhaps I might have back in March when I cancelled?? - cannot remember that far back.

From what I've read on HAL's social media,  HAL has started to recall (take back) commissions that had been   paid to travel agents before cruises were cancelled,  either by the client, or by HAL.  There's no warning or explanation,  only a notice sent to the agencies, advising them that commissions are being recalled. The funds are then transferred out of the agency's account, and back to HAL.  This is costing some agents thousands of dollars. 

The problem is that HAL's policy, as written and provided to travel agents during the global pause in cruising, is that commissions would be protected, and not recalled. HAL still agrees that the commissions are protected, but will not say when the funds will be paid back to the agents.

Perhaps this is one way HAL is making their refund payments. 

Edited by Boatdrill

Early last week I received $400 of FCCs from my cancelled 8/2020 cruise. These had been converted from FCDs and the amount doubled based on the HAL offer I accepted after the May 6th cancellation. HAL apparently accepted these FCCs as part of the $600 deposit for a new cruise I booked for 1/2022. I also applied $200 of fresh FCDs for this deposit. My PCC was as surprised as I was that this worked (so far).

Yesterday HAL released to my account additional FCCs which had been used as partial payment for this 8/2020 cruise. I never made full payment on the 8/2020 cruise, so there was no refund due and that cruise has now been fully canceled and removed from my account.  I had my PCC apply these FCCs to a future cruise I have booked for 5/2021. 

I've had five cruises canceled since 2/2020 and all moneys paid have been refunded, and FCCs released and reapplied elsewhere.  Given what's happened in the company and the industry (including my PCC's temporary personal leave of absence), I'm very happy that all of this was handled very accurately and pretty promptly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Early last week I received $400 of FCCs from my cancelled 8/2020 cruise. These had been converted from FCDs and the amount doubled based on the HAL offer I accepted after the May 6th cancellation. HAL apparently accepted these FCCs as part of the $600 deposit for a new cruise I booked for 1/2022. I also applied $200 of fresh FCDs for this deposit. My PCC was as surprised as I was that this worked (so far).

Yesterday HAL released to my account additional FCCs which had been used as partial payment for this 8/2020 cruise. I never made full payment on the 8/2020 cruise, so there was no refund due and that cruise has now been fully canceled and removed from my account.  I had my PCC apply these FCCs to a future cruise I have booked for 5/2021. 

I've had five cruises canceled since 2/2020 and all moneys paid have been refunded, and FCCs released and reapplied elsewhere.  Given what's happened in the company and the industry (including my PCC's temporary personal leave of absence), I'm very happy that all of this was handled very accurately and pretty promptly.

That’s great!

Our refund of taxes, fees, and Flight Ease (return from Amsterdam) from our April 6 canceled cruise finally hit our account last night.  Like our traveling friends, we are $200 short ($100/pp) which may be the FCD we originally used to book the cruise - but the FCD's have not been returned for us to reuse.  Guess a phone call is in order.

Came over to this site from my cancelle4d blog. It appears that many people are getting their refunds for the EXTRAS they purchased but nobody has gotten their basic cruise / air / ground refunds. All I get is "We are very busy, we are short handed etc etc...which in my opinion pure BS. Once I get my $$ this may well be the last I'll do with HAL. Other cruise lines have refunded the money...what's wrong with HAL??????????

Guess this is why I can't believe they aren't providing some kind of explanation about refunds rather than simply depositing funds to your credit card account.  That being said I would be satisfied if I got a refund to my account, which I have not.

4 hours ago, vegas-cruiser2 said:

Once I get my $$ this may well be the last I'll do with HAL. Other cruise lines have refunded the money...what's wrong with HAL??????????

You might want to read threads re refunds on the Crystal CC site.  It seems HAL is not the only cruise line doing this and possibly losing future passengers.  Disappointing to those who are treated with little or no respect for their business.  Cherie

• Like 2

Received our refund today of flights, insurance and port fees and taxes.  However, when we checked the math, they were C$200 short.  Maybe I'll try another chat! 

April 3 cruise...

Edited by Vict0riann

The cruise industry is hurting the entire world of passengers. Literally they are screwing themselves and if they don't get off their butts nobody will want to ever cruise again. HAL supervisor said that they had to lay off a bunch of people and this is the reason things are so slow. Talk about being stupid. Like shooting yourself in the foot. Do they think everybody is going to rush back once things are cleared. NOT.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, StartrainDD said:

Our refund of taxes, fees, and Flight Ease (return from Amsterdam) from our April 6 canceled cruise finally hit our account last night.  Like our traveling friends, we are $200 short ($100/pp) which may be the FCD we originally used to book the cruise - but the FCD's have not been returned for us to reuse.  Guess a phone call is in order.

It's quite possible the FCDs were returned to your HAL account ... did you check there?  Supposedly you can see those now.

2 hours ago, zelker said:

It's quite possible the FCDs were returned to your HAL account ... did you check there?  Supposedly you can see those now.

It is a bit strange.  When we accepted a FCC for our cruise in April, we were given a FCC for the full (base) amount of the cruise - which price included our FCD,  plus 25%.  That worked.  We really didn't have a problem with "losing" the FCD.

Now I seem to have an extra $100 in a FCD and an additional FCC of $100 as well.  But the cash refund is short by $100 (the same for each of us.)

For the July '20 cruise, also cancelled but before final payment, I just have a $100 FCD and and a FCC of $100.

For our July '21 cruise, cancelled yesterday, we had applied $100 in FCDs each, plus the FCC from our first cancelled cruise.  I wonder what will happen now.   (Will they give us 125% of the FCC?)

Not easy to keep it all straight in my head...🙃

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, vegas-cruiser2 said:

The cruise industry is hurting the entire world of passengers. Literally they are screwing themselves and if they don't get off their butts nobody will want to ever cruise again. HAL supervisor said that they had to lay off a bunch of people and this is the reason things are so slow. Talk about being stupid. Like shooting yourself in the foot. Do they think everybody is going to rush back once things are cleared. NOT.

I can't wait to sail again....Had two cruises cancelled on me, collected my FCC and booked a October 2021 cruise!  

On 7/15/2020 at 6:53 AM, StartrainDD said:

Good luck with the phone call.  Can you report back what you learned?  This topic appears to be a big question mark.

We and 5 other friends had placed deposits for a cruise on Veendam for Jan 24, 2021 for a week cruise.   Then we worried that the 7 of us would not be able to congregate on the ship as we have done every year in the past, so we all decided to cancel and rent a large house in Florida.    Called in to cancel just after 4th of July.   We found our deposits credited back to our credit cards by July 10!!   We were told it might take 60 days!!   I was amazed when I saw the refund so soon!    Interesting to note,  we had not used a travel agent  as we typically do -- we all used a HA Personal Cruise Repr to make the bookings.....wondering now if that makes any difference?    

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

If HAL cancelled your cruise, use the credit card dispute route.

What are you waiting for - it is obvious the cruise lines are not interested in providing refunds in any timely manner.

Protect your interests.