Ruby Princess - Special Inquiry - Evidence To Date

2 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

I would not get too excited with the preliminary views of the police and others  (widely communicated at the time to the press - and claimed by the Princess to be completely unfounded at the Special Inquiry)  - that a criminal offense  MAY have been committed.

From what we know so far from the Inquiry evidence , it is quite unlikely that a serious  adverse finding against Princess would be made (even though things could have been done better by them, in a challenging and constantly changing environment).

And no criminal charges are  laid by our independent Director of Public Prosecutions before  they carefully consider IF the police brief shows a reasonable prospect of conviction on a criminal charge, under the criminal standard of proof i.e. beyond reasonable doubt. Any political considerations are not relevant.

I realise that AND if it is in the public interest to proceed.  The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't, 36 years👮‍♂️showed me that.

Edited by NSWP

24 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Just read this:

"The commissioner must report to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian by this Friday." Source

I wonder how long she will sit on it?

Until after the State Election.  From the above source...To me it appears Federal employees are being protected...they use the word..'shielded.' 

Edited by NSWP

In the SMH today. I doubt the Federal Governments actions would pass the pub test.🤔

"Federal officials will be shielded from direct scrutiny at the NSW inquiry into the Ruby Princess cruise ship amid accusations the Morrison government has failed to co-operate with the investigation.

Commissioner Bret Walker has issued a legal summons to hear testimony from one of the officials, a Department of Agriculture worker who granted permission for the ship to enter port, but was rebuffed again on Monday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison promised to co-operate with the inquiry on April 21 and insisted on Monday he had done so, but he did not explain why the two officials should not appear to give evidence.

A federal Department of Agriculture biosecurity officer did not complete the checklist required for travellers with illnesses, which led to errors in a report that led to formal permission for the ship to disembark."

• Like 1

"RUBY PRINCESS - The Verdict - Report & Recommendations - YOUR COMMENTS"

I have started this new thread in  anticipation of the release of the Inquiry report - due to the govt on 14 August - and no doubt publicly available some time later.

May I suggest that your comments, in due course, about the Inquiry findings & recommendations may be more conveniently made on the new thread.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond & comment - and for over 16500 views of this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

"RUBY PRINCESS - The Verdict - Report & Recommendations - YOUR COMMENTS"

I have started this new thread in  anticipation of the release of the Inquiry report - due to the govt on 14 August - and no doubt publicly available some time later.

May I suggest that your comments, in due course, about the Inquiry findings & recommendations may be more conveniently made on the new thread.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond & comment - and for over 16500 views of this thread.

Thank you for your efforts in posting the proceedings and interpreting same. I look forward with interest to the next chapter.

• Like 1

I watched the segment on A Current Affair. It was sad watching a man who is devastated at losing his wife. However he made a few strange comments. He said he "wants justice" for his wife the the "other 21 people who died on the ship". Huh!! No-one died on the ship. I know that is being pedantic, but ... no-one died on the ship. They died later as a result of a virus they contracted on the ship.

The man is upset that no-one contacted him and asked for his input. He did not say that he had put in a submission. He seems to think that the Commissioner should have contacted him for his opinion.

He also made the statement that after NSW Health delayed embarkation, that they should have cancelled the cruise. I made the point that other cruises boarded that day, or even after that and had no infections on board. No-one knew that the Ruby would have infections. If this was suspected, obviously Princess would have cancelled the cruise.

This gentleman is obviously grieving and he is looking for someone to blame. He also contracted the virus and he said he "should have been the one to die". He has been back to hospital a few times after he was released and he is still not well. BTW, this was their first cruise.

In a way, I felt that Channel 9 was exploiting this man and his very obvious grief.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I watched the segment on A Current Affair. It was sad watching a man who is devastated at losing his wife. However he made a few strange comments. He said he "wants justice" for his wife the the "other 21 people who died on the ship". Huh!! No-one died on the ship. I know that is being pedantic, but ... no-one died on the ship. They died later as a result of a virus they contracted on the ship.

The man is upset that no-one contacted him and asked for his input. He did not say that he had put in a submission. He seems to think that the Commissioner should have contacted him for his opinion.

He also made the statement that after NSW Health delayed embarkation, that they should have cancelled the cruise. I made the point that other cruises boarded that day, or even after that and had no infections on board. No-one knew that the Ruby would have infections. If this was suspected, obviously Princess would have cancelled the cruise.

This gentleman is obviously grieving and he is looking for someone to blame. He also contracted the virus and he said he "should have been the one to die". He has been back to hospital a few times after he was released and he is still not well. BTW, this was their first cruise.

In a way, I felt that Channel 9 was exploiting this man and his very obvious grief.

So sad, i grieve with him. He needs a lot of help. Hope he gets it. Ch9 has used him, 

Probably gave him 5 grand blood money.  It is unfortunate that so many cruisers do their  one and only cruise on these nz runs, too late in life when they are not in the greatest of condition. No flights that why the oldies do them and Ruby was full of those folk.

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's what commercial tv is about - making money from ratings.

People like dramatic stories, so that's what they give them.

9 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Premier of NSW has just received the report into the Ruby Princess which can be accessed here: https://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/publications/special-commissions-of-inquiry/the-special-commission-of-inquiry-into-the-ruby-princess/

Thank you Kiwi_cruiser - you are very fast!!!

A lot comments about the the report will no doubt be made in due course on the related

RUBY PRINCESS - THE VERDICT    etc  thread.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

Thank you Kiwi_cruiser - you are very fast!!!

A lot comments about the the report will no doubt be made in due course on the related

RUBY PRINCESS - THE VERDICT    etc  thread.

Can I suggest that we post comments on the report onto the thread relating to the Ruby Princess verdict. That will make easier reading for all of us rather than keeping track of two threads that will end up with repetition.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

There you go, NSW Health, not NSW police.

Agreed. Mistakes were made by NSW Health, not NSW Police. My 'complaint' is about public statements made by the NSW Police Commissioner, not mistakes made by the Force - I don't know of any such mistakes.

27 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. Mistakes were made by NSW Health, not NSW Police. My 'complaint' is about public statements made by the NSW Police Commissioner, not mistakes made by the Force - I don't know of any such mistakes.

Respect your statement and understand, thank you.