Job cuts

molecrochip

24 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I thought that but...

Last month I needed to book a night in Southampton for September.  Blimey couldn't get our usual choices of either Premier Inn or Dolphin for less than £85.

Since Princess cancelled their European programme I reran the search a couple of days ago.  Same result.

surprising!

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If they are hoping to get benefits then you are absolutely correct, but not everyone opts for redundancy with an expectation to get benefits, so the two issues need not be related. Some may be looking to retire early, some may be wanting to take a career break, others may see this as an opportunity to seek a career change. Whilst this is undoubtedly bad news and for most will be devastating, there will be some who will see it as an opportunity and will use employment law to their advantage. Unless the law has changed since I last dealt with this, assets don’t affect redundancy payments. Everyone is entitled to the first £30k of redundancy payments tax free. 

Yes I acknowledged that some would be happy to just take redundancy.

Redundancy payments are still tax free to a limit (it was 30k in my day as well but could be higher now) but for benefit claims the level of saving /assets you are allowed is capped at a very much lower level. That is what I was referring to.

People don’t always know these things and get caught out with false expectations, particularly the “leaving voluntarily” provisions.

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh Avril, bless you. 

Have you only just realised that? 

Andy 

No. I'd actually  realised it quite a while ago. I was reluctant to mention as I didn't want to  make you feel foolish for not realising it sooner yourself. 😜😁

Avril 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very sorry for the carnival group staff. 

Sadly it’s not a good time to be notified of redundancy. A friend of mine went through this at boots last year, fortunately she had worked there a long time and got a decent pay out. My oh who had worked with her before recruited her, whilst she was still  working at boots and going through the consultation process. 

I think the no of firms looking for staff for well paid jobs is going to be very small. 

54 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

surprising!

Could be because the boat show is in Sept.We had the same problem last year when we cruised from Southampton,everywhere is chokka.

This is sad for the staff affected and of course seemingly appears to explain the large meeting which caused the phone lines to be turned off yesterday.

As has been said elsewhere, it is another reason why people should be wary around taking it for granted that the industry will automatically recover from the virus, when restrictions have been lifted.

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Could be because the boat show is in Sept.We had the same problem last year when we cruised from Southampton,everywhere is chokka.

That was my initial thought.

The night I was looking for was 5 September.  The boat show, if it goes ahead opens 11 Sept.

A total of 5 cruise ships "scheduled" to be in Southampton weekend of 5/6 Sept.  Was previously 6 ships, one of them being one of Princesses.

Nearer the time will probably 0 ships ☹️and £2.50 a night to stay at Premier Inn! 😲

7 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The night I was looking for was 5 September.  The boat show, if it goes ahead opens 11 Sept.

A total of 5 cruise ships "scheduled" to be in Southampton weekend of 5/6 Sept.  Was previously 6 ships, one of them being one of Princesses.

Nearer the time will probably 0 ships ☹️and £2.50 a night to stay at Premier Inn! 😲

Will that include breakfast?

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Given that the number of staff is being cut by around 25%, and the remaining staff are having their hours cut by 20%, the refund process will take even longer.

Only if one of the two staff dealing with refunds are affected and not replaced by one of the 1,000 or so remaining!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I thought that but...

Last month I needed to book a night in Southampton for September.  Blimey couldn't get our usual choices of either Premier Inn or Dolphin for less than £85.

Since Princess cancelled their European programme I reran the search a couple of days ago.  Same result.

September is historically expensive because the boat show puts a heavy demand on hotel accommodation, although it must be in doubt this year, so prices may plummet later.

The loss of their jobs or reduction in pay is far worse for those involved than the loss of our cruises is to us.  Some of these people could potentially lose their home if they can't pay mortgages or rent.  I know that when I worked I would have been devastated to lose my job at a time such as this when the unemployment level is rising daily as companies go under.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We were there before the show also,but it takes a couple of weeks to set up and there were teams of workers everywhere.Things might change though as you said.2.50 a night,I might be interested if they throw in breakfast,lol.

Reading the article in the Daily Echo, I couldn't help but notice this quote:

Mr Weinstein said: “I am truly sorry for the pain that this is going to cause but the hard truth is that if we don’t right-size the company and significantly reduce our cash burn during this devastating crisis, we may not successfully get to the other side of this – and I certainly don’t want to see the proud 180-year histories of P&O Cruises and Cunard wind down on our watch.”

So as someone who's been the Corporate Treasurer for 10 years prior to taking his current role, you would think he would have his finger on the pulse when it comes to financials and the 'cash burn' long before getting to the point of sacking people, unless they're using this pandemic as an excuse to cull?  I know that's a bit sinister to suggest but it wouldn't be the first time a large company took advantage of an economic downturn to thin the herd.  I wonder if Ludlow and Palethorpe are going to take a 20% reduction in their salaries??  Clearly a rhetorical question but i would expect to see those earning the most taking the cuts in order to save at least some jobs otherwise how can they use 'cash burn' as an excuse to sack people?  Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, although I did notice there was no mention from Mr. Weinstein of the fact Carnival UK is taking advantage of the government furlough scheme meaning they're surely 'saving' money somewhere or is that just more wishful thinking?!?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Reading the article in the Daily Echo, I couldn't help but notice this quote:

Mr Weinstein said: “I am truly sorry for the pain that this is going to cause but the hard truth is that if we don’t right-size the company and significantly reduce our cash burn during this devastating crisis, we may not successfully get to the other side of this – and I certainly don’t want to see the proud 180-year histories of P&O Cruises and Cunard wind down on our watch.”

So as someone who's been the Corporate Treasurer for 10 years prior to taking his current role, you would think he would have his finger on the pulse when it comes to financials and the 'cash burn' long before getting to the point of sacking people, unless they're using this pandemic as an excuse to cull?  I know that's a bit sinister to suggest but it wouldn't be the first time a large company took advantage of an economic downturn to thin the herd.  I wonder if Ludlow and Palethorpe are going to take a 20% reduction in their salaries??  Clearly a rhetorical question but i would expect to see those earning the most taking the cuts in order to save at least some jobs otherwise how can they use 'cash burn' as an excuse to sack people?  Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, although I did notice there was no mention from Mr. Weinstein of the fact Carnival UK is taking advantage of the government furlough scheme meaning they're surely 'saving' money somewhere or is that just more wishful thinking?!?

Don’t think P&O cruises Staff have been furloughed, P&O Ferries did.

19 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Don’t think P&O cruises Staff have been furloughed, P&O Ferries did.

P&O ferries are a completely different company so cannot be compared

I feel very sorry for the people who have lost their jobs because it was out of their control. 

I wonder whether Paul Ludlow or any other of the higher ups are going to lose their positions.  The management should not be safe because they made the poor decisions about how the customers should be treated so are responsible for any loss of business as a result of the contempt that they have shown for customers

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I feel very sorry for the people who have lost their jobs because it was out of their control. 

I wonder whether Paul Ludlow or any other of the higher ups are going to lose their positions.  The management should not be safe because they made the poor decisions about how the customers should be treated so are responsible for any loss of business as a result of the contempt that they have shown for customers

You can be very sure that the people at the top will be safe.  They might lose some bonuses, but they'll still be in a very comfortable position.  The argument will be, of course, that they need to be there to safeguard the company and as many jobs as possible.  The first part is true, but it's all about protecting the interests of the shareholders - not jobs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Carnival UK has very much furloughed employees, and this has been happening since the beginning of April

But not those in the contacts centres who are still working. 

Edited by Snow Hill

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

If its any indication of what might be on the cards, both Seabourn and HAL 'retired' their brand Presidents yesterday which might not seem a big deal to CUK, but the man at the top - Stein Kruse - is also responsible for CUK along with the HAL Group...