Auto-gratuity increase?

beachbum53

This is just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival raises the auto-gratuities some time before the end of this year. So, if you currently have a cruise booked, either for some time later this year or in 2021, it might not hurt to prepay your gratuities before there is any increase.

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

This is just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival raises the auto-gratuities some time before the end of this year. So, if you currently have a cruise booked, either for some time later this year or in 2021, it might not hurt to prepay your gratuities before there is any increase.

I would be surprised. But Carnival usually (always?) gives notice of gratuity increases and you still have time to prepay. I never have, because I think the crew deserves every penny and then some.

• Like 1

Honestly, this is one of the last things I expect to see happen anytime soon. It wasn't too long ago since they last raised it. The last thing they need is more people turning away from cruising because their gratuities went up a whopping $15 total.

2 hours ago, skridge said:

John Heald just said they will not be raising the gratuity on Facebook.

You are correct, he did.  It is not happening nor was it ever on the docket to discuss.

Just now, beachbum53 said:

He can only go by what he has currently been told by the "beards". 

Well, if you mean he is the senior spokesperson for the cruise line and has a insight that nobody here does, then I agree.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Honestly, this is one of the last things I expect to see happen anytime soon. It wasn't too long ago since they last raised it. The last thing they need is more people turning away from cruising because their gratuities went up a whopping $15 total.

The current gratuity is $13.99 pp. If it goes to $15.00, that's only a dollar more. Not exactly what I would call "whopping".

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

The current gratuity is $13.99 pp. If it goes to $15.00, that's only a dollar more. Not exactly what I would call "whopping".

other cruise lines already has the 15 price point. i wont be surprised next year or sometime in the future carnival increases the pricing to follow "industry trends"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

It was sarcasm. I was insinuating than your average couple would see about a $15 increase for a 7 day cruise. People lose their minds over extra charges.

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

With so many getting $600 obc might hardly be a whimper.

I didn't get 600 I cancelled and rebooked before the zombie appocolypse.so I'm going to prepay mine.for 2022 .I bought into the carnival gift card scam so i need to make do .this carnival Cruise is more expensive than my preferred choice but the allure of that whopping 10% bit me in the rear.then again this is the replacement for the Cuba cruise that didn't transpire ,much to my wife's disappointment.

19 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

No thanks. If they do increase the gratuities I will be happy to pay the increased amount. When cruises begin again the employees are going to need the money much more than I need to save a few bucks. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I was going to point the finger at skridge. 🙂

You can't write anything on this website without being criticized.  I simply pointed out a fact that JH said on his Facebook page that they were not upping the gratuity, and now somehow I am the ringleader of a conspiracy to get JH to hate CC.  Newsflash, JH has hated CC for a very long time and I have nothing to do with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, skridge said:

You can't write anything on this website without being criticized.  I simply pointed out a fact that JH said on his Facebook page that they were not upping the gratuity, and now somehow I am the ringleader of a conspiracy to get JH to hate CC.  Newsflash, JH has hated CC for a very long time and I have nothing to do with that.

Hello! The name of this web site IS "Cruise Critic". Yes, you're free to have an opinion about something and post it on here. However, there's no guarantee that others will agree with you 100%, or won't disagree with you or criticize you in some fashion. As far as what John Heald said recently regarding gratuity increases, his comment was based on what he has been told by those above him. In order to remain employed by Carnival and get a paycheck from them, he does not have the freedom to speculate about what those above him will decide to do at some future date. 

6 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Hello! The name of this web site IS "Cruise Critic". Yes, you're free to have an opinion about something and post it on here. However, there's no guarantee that others will agree with you 100%, or won't disagree with you or criticize you in some fashion. As far as what John Heald said recently regarding gratuity increases, his comment was based on what he has been told by those above him. In order to remain employed by Carnival and get a paycheck from them, he does not have the freedom to speculate about what those above him will decide to do at some future date. 

I was just posting a fact.  I saw a post saying auto gratuity increase?  I simply posted the fact that I had seen John Heald answer this question.  I understand the name of the website.  it is not reasonable for me to answer a question and then be accused of some sort of John Heald conspiracy.  If I post an undisputable fact on here which is what I did, noone should critisize it I don't care what the name of the website is.

8 minutes ago, skridge said:

I was just posting a fact.  I saw a post saying auto gratuity increase?  I simply posted the fact that I had seen John Heald answer this question.  I understand the name of the website.  it is not reasonable for me to answer a question and then be accused of some sort of John Heald conspiracy.  If I post an undisputable fact on here which is what I did, noone should critisize it I don't care what the name of the website is.

Time to get this post back on the rails and not let it go sideways. I scrolled back through each person's response but did not see anyone accusing you of a John Heald "conspiracy". The only thing I saw was a personality clash between fyree39 and you. I too saw John Heald's statement about Carnival not increasing gratuities. However, as I have already said more than once, he was only posting what he has been told, and like you, this information was taken in good faith. But, it's not carved in stone. Due to the additional duties that the ship's staff are being required to do to try to keep us safe and healthy on our cruises, such as serving the food at the buffets, frequently wiping down pretty much everything on the ships from end to end, etc., it's not unreasonable to assume that gratuities will increase at some point within the next few months. It's also entirely possible for Carnival to raise cruise fares by a few dollars to pay the crew for their additional responsibilities, and maybe even hire on more staff. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

43 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Time to get this post back on the rails and not let it go sideways. I scrolled back through each person's response but did not see anyone accusing you of a John Heald "conspiracy". The only thing I saw was a personality clash between fyree39 and you. I too saw John Heald's statement about Carnival not increasing gratuities. However, as I have already said more than once, he was only posting what he has been told, and like you, this information was taken in good faith. But, it's not carved in stone. Due to the additional duties that the ship's staff are being required to do to try to keep us safe and healthy on our cruises, such as serving the food at the buffets, frequently wiping down pretty much everything on the ships from end to end, etc., it's not unreasonable to assume that gratuities will increase at some point within the next few months. It's also entirely possible for Carnival to raise cruise fares by a few dollars to pay the crew for their additional responsibilities, and maybe even hire on more staff. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

All I did was report what I saw John say on Facebook.  I will not be told the sky is green when I know it is blue.  You can go on and on replying and I will continue to present the unequivocal fact that all I did was report on what someone said on Facebook.  I will not be told I am wrong when the record in my post above says that I am right. By the way I never said that John was telling the truth on Facebook.  I just reported exactly what I saw.

4 hours ago, skridge said:

All I did was report what I saw John say on Facebook.  I will not be told the sky is green when I know it is blue.  You can go on and on replying and I will continue to present the unequivocal fact that all I did was report on what someone said on Facebook.  I will not be told I am wrong when the record in my post above says that I am right. By the way I never said that John was telling the truth on Facebook.  I just reported exactly what I saw.

You are entitled to your opinion. Have a nice day.