Please refrain from doing chargebacks

52 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

No kidding!  How can one go on and on about social distancing and then invite the whole world into their house to do projects?  I am all for supporting the local businesses and do so daily but no one is coming into my house until these social distancing guidelines allow it.  If we have a plumbing emergency, that is one thing, but my hair can wait!

Good point, lecture everyone about sacrifice and social distancing, then make sure the pool guys, cleaning people, lawn care and hairdressers show up to take care of all ones wants and needs.....

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

Generally mine too!!! But we are using this forced time at home to take care of lots of neglected things...like the septic tank pumping and roof repairs....can’t control the fact that the hot water heater leaked or that a toilet leak was found...and some projects that were on the horizon that are much easier to do while we are home (basketball court and kitchen remodel).

the pool guys, lawn guys and cleaning ladies are regulars though - we would never enjoy any downtime or the nice features of our house otherwise.   Our kids are at the ages where pre-COVID they play multiple sports and needed rides for entire days of shuffling and games and practices...so we are usually out of the house 11-12 hours a day, 6 days a week...and 6-8 hrs on that last 7th day...Trying to get things done while we have this year at home and to help these local contractors out who have had a lot if cancelations. It’s a win-win.

If you were actually serious about social distancing you'd cut your hair, clean your house, clean your pool and mow your lawn. 

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Good point, lecture everyone about sacrifice and social distancing, then make sure your pool guys, cleaning people, lawn car and hairdressers show up to take care of all your needs...….

All of these services are allowed where I live and are deemed essential or have been opened - you just need to follow the rules.   We have plenty of sanitizing supplies and masks for in home activities and it’s easy to social distance outside.  

Most of our neighbors had haircuts on 5/11 when they opened in New Hampshire (2 minutes from my house).  We waited until the end of the week to make sure safety protocols were in place.   Everyone wore masks and used all of the sanitary procedures required.     Haircuts for boys/men take about 8-10 minutes...which is below the 15 min Threshhold established for risk as well.  

I just wish that everyone at the grocery store, restaurants or Lowe’s would use the safety protocols.   Then we would stop having Walmart’s closed down and higher case numbers and we could open more businesses!!!

Regardless - follow the rules - this will pass sooner if we all do and we can get back to cruising and life and not being worried about whether we must insist on a chargeback that screws your travel agent and everyone else waiting for their money!!!

7 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

If you were actually serious about social distancing you'd cut your hair, clean your house, clean your pool and mow your lawn. 

why would I go shopping and buy/need delivery of over $5000 worth of gear to mow my lawn - the lawn guys are certainly are not anywhere near me on my 2 acre lot when they come??   Study the facts and follow the rules.  The science is pretty clear on how this virus moves indoors and out!!!

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think this thread is going no where fast and it would be better if it just went away.

And it's pretty much the same responses in each of the boards to which it's posted.  Not too difficult to see how the collective feel about getting their money back...

Nobody worried about my lost income during this pandemic...not sure why TA's should be any different.  Harsh, but true.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

Most of our neighbors had haircuts on 5/11 when they opened in New Hampshire (2 minutes from my house).  We waited until the end of the week to make sure safety protocols were in place.   Everyone wore masks and used all of the sanitary procedures required.     Haircuts for boys/men take about 8-10 minutes...which is below the 15 min Threshhold established for risk as well.  

I’m not sure where you are getting your science on a 15 min threshold for risk.... Not how it works! That’s a even dumber statement then the original TA post. 

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

And it's pretty much the same responses in each of the boards to which it's posted.  Not too difficult to see how the collective feel about getting their money back...

Nobody worried about my lost income during this pandemic...not sure why TA's should be any different.  Harsh, but true.

TAs not getting paid for WORK THEY ALREADY DID is also very different than you not getting paid for NOT working.   And I’m SURE that there are plenty of people worried about your lost income during this pandemic - they are just balancing the risk of loosing lives against money.   It’s been only 60 days...not a year!!   

and clearly - if you worked for me - I care about your lost income - that’s one thing  the last several posts should clearly demonstrate.   We paid for services for the first month of quarantine that we did not use because we were still being paid even when we didn’t have any services and were in full lockdown.   It’s just the right thing to do for those that have the means to do it since “We are all in this together” and it’s what most businesses did for that time as well before the US Stimulus package was approved and furloughs or unemployment became an option.    Putting the lawn guy or pool guy into the unemployment line is not going to help anyone - those of us working are the ones footing the bill for unemployment for years to come! 

32 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

why would I go shopping and buy/need delivery of over $5000 worth of gear to mow my lawn - the lawn guys are certainly are not anywhere near me on my 2 acre lot when they come??   Study the facts and follow the rules.  The science is pretty clear on how this virus moves indoors and out!!!

Just about all of my neighbors are using the same landscaping service as they have in the past and I live on Long Island. I don't see it as a problem. The only reason I don't have a landscaper this year is because I am recently unemployed.

9 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

TAs not getting paid for WORK THEY ALREADY DID is also very different than you not getting paid for NOT working

I agree with this statement.  We all know that there are many changes coming down as it relates to the travel industry.  Perhaps one of those changes will be in how/when TA's are paid.

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not true booked a August 23 2020 cruise and only paid deposit, then lift and shifted it to September 23 2021,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,final payment date was also changed until 2021.

If you'll note in my post I said some in August, not all. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

2 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

The reason everyone says they want their money back is because of the economy.   For that to return - everyone needs to do their part whether they like it or not.    This is something that every mother and in many cases every parent already knows - sometimes you have to put your own feelings and opinions aside and do what’s right for your kids even if it isn’t what you want.   Now we just have to expand that and suck it up so we can all get back to ‘normal’ and get back to cruising and get back to life without needing refunds!!

Huge difference between doing something for your kids and doing something for an unknown stranger. No, everyone does not need to do "their part" because we can't even agree on what their part is.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

It would really piss me off if I used a TA and found out he/she received a commission while I was still waiting for my refund.  Already upset at the time it is taking for them to refund, but if I found out TA was getting their money while I was getting the run around I would charge back.  

Big box TA we used has rec'd their commission for an upcoming July 6 British Isles cruise I'm sure will be cancelled. I know this because I've had service issues with this TA and asked for the cruise to be transferred to another TA and that was the reason given to deny the transfer. I was surprised to hear that the commission was paid shortly after final payment. 

14 hours ago, bbinz said:

Doesn’t sound like she’s much of a TA anyway. 

Seriously?  You do not know me and have no idea who I am.  I can tell you that most of my business is from referrals because I care about my clients and pride myself on my customer service.  I have worked more, for not a penny, in these past 2 month because of all the refunds, FCC's and lift and shifts, than I did before.  I'm 6th in my company countrywide in sales and have been a Million + sales rep for the past 2 years and was on my way to the best year ever when this hit.  All I was saying is to THINK about it IF you used a TA.  I get it...you want your money, but so do I AND I don't want to give it back or be on the hook for your cruise that you got refunded for.  It happens.  It happened this week to a rep with a land supplier.  Now they are coming after her for the deposit of $750.  Maybe in this case, where the cruises were actually cancelled, they wouldn't come after us for payment BUT they can...we act as a representative of you when we pay the supplier.  The supplier takes your credit card from me in good faith.   I have 2 cruises cancelled as well.  I get it.. but all I was asking was to have some patience for the cruise lines.  I want my clients to get their money in a timely fashion, but I do not want to have to give money back, IF I received my commission, and I do not want to be held accountable for the cost of your cruise, when you were refunded your money.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that commission should not be paid to travel agents, but the customers who actual paid to go on the cruise (and put that commission in the pocket of the TA), should be refunded first. What not make a TA wait 60 or 90 days for their commissions!

17 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

I get it.. but all I was asking was to have some patience for the cruise lines.  I want my clients to get their money in a timely fashion, but I do not want to have to give money back, IF I received my commission, and I do not want to be held accountable for the cost of your cruise, when you were refunded your money.

I dont care about the cruise line's problems.  I have my own problems in my own company.  There is a reason RC is taking out billion dollar loans so maybe they should use it to pay their customer's refunds.  

• Like 1

Just another reason to file away to never use a TA. Too many things to worry about. Today's world has made it far too easy to handle everything yourself with a minimum of time and effort, especially if you have control issues like I do.  The extra credits you sometimes get are just not worth it to me.  

There are good ones out there as evidenced by a certain beach loving poster here, but knowing my luck, I would get the TA who made my booking and then never be available again.

Besides, self-monitoring the booking and finding deals is half the fun of the upcoming cruise . You just have to come here to find the latest and greatest the quickest, like the ability to lift and shift new bookings 🙂 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

Seriously?  You do not know me and have no idea who I am.  I can tell you that most of my business is from referrals because I care about my clients and pride myself on my customer service.  I have worked more, for not a penny, in these past 2 month because of all the refunds, FCC's and lift and shifts, than I did before.  I'm 6th in my company countrywide in sales and have been a Million + sales rep for the past 2 years and was on my way to the best year ever when this hit.  All I was saying is to THINK about it IF you used a TA.  I get it...you want your money, but so do I AND I don't want to give it back or be on the hook for your cruise that you got refunded for.  It happens.  It happened this week to a rep with a land supplier.  Now they are coming after her for the deposit of $750.  Maybe in this case, where the cruises were actually cancelled, they wouldn't come after us for payment BUT they can...we act as a representative of you when we pay the supplier.  The supplier takes your credit card from me in good faith.   I have 2 cruises cancelled as well.  I get it.. but all I was asking was to have some patience for the cruise lines.  I want my clients to get their money in a timely fashion, but I do not want to have to give money back, IF I received my commission, and I do not want to be held accountable for the cost of your cruise, when you were refunded your money.

Your response pretty much reinforced my point. It’s not all about you. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

I want my clients to get their money in a timely fashion, but I do not want to have to give money back, IF I received my commission, and I do not want to be held accountable for the cost of your cruise, when you were refunded your money.

That's between you and the cruise line. Not between you and your valued costumer. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, cured said:

Just another reason to file away to never use a TA. Too many things to worry about. Today's world has made it far too easy to handle everything yourself with a minimum of time and effort, especially if you have control issues like I do.  The extra credits you sometimes get are just not worth it to me.  

There are good ones out there as evidenced by a certain beach loving poster here, but knowing my luck, I would get the TA who made my booking and then never be available again.

Besides, self-monitoring the booking and finding deals is half the fun of the upcoming cruise . You just have to come here to find the latest and greatest the quickest, like the ability to lift and shift new bookings 🙂 

It's been documented many times across the CC boards that most use a travel agent only for the extra perks. Some claim that the travel agent will go to bat for you but I have read many examples of how that doesn't happen. Like you I enjoy finding the bargains and monitoring the price drops and get the adjustments without involving a middle man. However, I do believe that the TA's are probably more busy now with all of the cancellations and moving cruises around so I don't believe they should be losing commision just because someone does a chargeback. Chargebacks are for fraudulent transactions. I wonder if after the investigation and it's clear that the transaction isn't fraudulent and the bank sides with the cruise line, if the card gets charged again and the passenger has to wait again for the original refund? 

Edited by Iamcruzin

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's been documented many times across the CC boards that most use a travel agent only for the extra perks. 

Always thought it was dumb of cruise lines not to offer a discount or percs to those who book direct.  If they did wonder how many would continue to use a TA.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Always thought it was dumb of cruise lines not to offer a discount or percs to those who book direct.  If they did wonder how many would continue to use a TA.

I was going to write the same thing and if they did offer perks, TA's would go the way of the dodo bird or Stockbrokers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We always book directly with the cruise line. Whether on the ship or not.  Then I use the 60 day timer to see if there is a TA that is motivated to add to our booking. If the TAs offer isn't worth it, I keep our booking with the cruise line. I do all the homework.  Whether it's the cruise lines agent or an independent agent I provide them with all the specifics and all they have to do is book it. 

1 hour ago, islandwannabee said:

So how long are you suggesting we wait, it's been 68 days for my $1300 royal up money that was paid on March 10. 

I think 75 days for a refund is more than enough time and will file a dispute then.

Disputes per my credit card company state that I should work with the vender first.  Royal has sent many emails stating they are working on my refunds and credits.   If you had a 6 month emergency fund which should generally be a pre-Req for going on a luxury vacation - you can wait another month for your $1300 payment in an unprecedented pandemic when there are thousands of payments that need to be made!! 

#We are all in this together!