Is 'Refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)' a Real Refund

datolim

Norwegian Cruise Line has extended its Peace of Mind policy.

"Providing our guests and travel partners with more reassurance, now for any voyage through Nov. 30, 2020, guests are free to cancel anytime up to 48 hours in advance of embarkation. Anyone choosing to cancel via our Peace of Mind policy will receive a full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC) to be used for sailings that embark through Dec. 31, 2022. This policy applies to individual and group bookings only," the company said. 

Edited by datolim
:.........

6 hours ago, datolim said:

Dictionary meaning of the word  'refund'.......a repayment of a sum of money.

You're taking one word out of context. What is the definition of "refund in the form of"?

• Like 1

The word "refund" as commonly defined and I think understood by most people means:  you get your money back (and you can use it for whatever you want, whenever you want). What NCL, and other travel providers, are doing, is to combine the word "refund" with some other words so that they are telling the customer: you are not getting your money back, but we are going to give you something else of value.   

Typically, in the case of cruise lines, you will be getting a piece of paper -- a future cruise credit -- that may or may not have a value greater than what you paid for your cruise fare.   And it will have a deadline by which it must be used.  And, of course,  if you get one of these, you need to hope the cruise line is still around so you can use it.   

As posted above, in the past, if you cancelled 48 hours before a cruise, you'd lose your entire cruise fare.  So what NCL and other lines with similar policies are doing is trying to entice people to make final payment on these near-term cruises, or even make new bookings.  Whether anyone thinks it's smart to throw more money at near-term cruises is up to each individual person, but if they do, and they cancel 48 hours out, they will not be getting a "refund," they'll be getting something else. 

Edited by Turtles06

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

You're taking one word out of context. What is the definition of "refund in the form of"?

No, it's a deliberate misuse of the word. A true refund wouldn't require the use of a qualifier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Waquoit said:

No, it's a deliberate misuse of the word. A true refund wouldn't require the use of a qualifier.

But that is not what the Peace of Mind policy is. It is not one word, it is a statement. A statement with a qualifier.

Not defending, just putting it into perspective and realistically.

Also, if the "full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)" was for the exact cruise and one did not have to pay any additional, then it could be OK. I say that because I suspect the price of cruises will be going up.

Airlines are dong the same thing, future flight credits but, we all know the price of a ticket will be well beyond the credit.

28 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

But that is not what the Peace of Mind policy is. It is not one word, it is a statement. A statement with a qualifier.

Not defending, just putting it into perspective and realistically.

Also, if the "full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)" was for the exact cruise and one did not have to pay any additional, then it could be OK. I say that because I suspect the price of cruises will be going up.

Airlines are dong the same thing, future flight credits but, we all know the price of a ticket will be well beyond the credit.

Where does it say, no additional for the same exact cruise.

Refund is money back and should not be used in any context. A more truthful word to use is flexy booking or last minute booking for changes. But I expect cruisers are not stupid to fall for this sucking in more money by NCL.

Edited by datolim
  • Like 1

I guess what is the point here? NCL is offering you something that you could use for a future cruise. Per their terms and conditions they could just keep all of your money and send you on your way. You can not like it, but you are also free to spend your money elsewhere. Posting here isn't going to make NCL change their mine.

I haven't checked, but are the other major cruise lines offering a "cash" refund after final payment right now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, datolim said:

Where does it say, no additional for the same exact cruise.

Refund is money back and should not be used in any context. A more truthful word to use is flexy booking or last minute booking for changes. But I expect cruisers are not stupid to fall for this sucking in more money by NCL.

Please read what I said before misquoting. I said " if the "full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)" was for the exact cruise and one did not have to pay any additional, ". The word if is important to the sentence.

Also, as I said "Not defending, " as well as invoking the "Peace of Mind" policy which is available to all. There is no untruth, just people plying with words., and sometimes out of context.

Businesses are forced to use small words like “refund” to be easily understood by the masses. Somewhere there is a legal jumbo-jumble that legally defines what the compensation is (“compensation” is a big word).  

Getting a FCC refund is certainly better than the normal cancellation policy that has always bee in place (which also has small words “you lose all of your money”). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Not defending, just putting it into perspective and realistically...

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt about this stuff anymore since they bury the existence of actual cash refunds in an attachment when they cancel your cruise. 

A Future Cruise Credit and a Refund are not the same.  It's the equivalent of getting a store credit at Walmart for merchandise returned without a receipt.  I can use the credit on something else in the store, but I can't take that credit to Target and expect to use it there.  So no, not a refund. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waquoit said:

You mean a qualifier like "true"?

Talk about a deliberate misuse...

13 minutes ago, Waquoit said:

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt about this stuff anymore since they bury the existence of actual cash refunds in an attachment when they cancel your cruise. 

Apples and oranges, no? This has nothing to do with when they cancel your cruise...this topic is covering when the cancellation is done by the guest, NOT by the cruise line.

Old Policy:

Guest cancels before final payment, guest received refund to payment method.

Guest cancels after final payment, guest pays cancellation penalty as agreed.

New Policy:

Guest cancels before final payment, guest receives refund to payment method.

Guest cancels after final payment, guest receives 100% FCC of the full amount paid...NO penalty.

The new policy certainly is more beneficial to the guest than the old policy was, yet HGH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

A Future Cruise Credit and a Refund are not the same...

Correct, they are not the same in the context you have written. However, a 'full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)' is clearly, and precisely, what it says on the tin.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Correct, they are not the same in the context you have written. However, a 'full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)' is clearly, and precisely, what it says on the tin.

I don't see the difference but in the grand scheme of life, I really don't care either way.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hamrag said:

However, a 'full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC)' is clearly, and precisely, what it says on the tin.

A agree with this. Maybe it's not "correct" to call it refund but if it's understandable what they mean, why care what they call it?

They don't say that the refund is cash back but who can think that it is when they write refund and Future Cruise Credit in the same sentence? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

A agree with this. Maybe it's not "correct" to call it refund but if it's understandable what they mean, why care what they call it?

They don't say that the refund is cash back but who can think that it is when they write refund and Future Cruise Credit in the same sentence? 

Maybe they should replace the word "refund" with the word "voucher" or some other synonym.    Agree, refund suggests cash back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Maybe they should replace the word "refund" with the word "voucher" or some other synonym.    Agree, refund suggests cash back.

It should be better if they used another, more correct, word but as long as it's not possible to misunderstand what they mean I don't care.

They also call many cabins suites even when they don't have a separate bedroom but as long as it's easy to find out that it isn't really a suite, I don't care. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

So NCL creates a policy that is more beneficial for the consumer and they get criticized for it?

Well, after all, this IS Cruise Critic!  To be expected from Cruise Critic posters. It's so much easier for them to criticize than to compliment.