Are Royal Caribbean preparing to abandon the UK market

3 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

We’ve always been treated like second class by Royal in relation to offers etc - will they leave the UK no because they make good money with the booze cruises especially during school holidays. 

I’m in the USA and would love to have some of the inclusive offers you get in the UK

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lynnwood said:

Very Interesting!  So taking a simplistic view

9% of RCCL revenue for 2019 was produced from only 2 large but not big ships operating out of Southampton for only 6 months?

The other 25 ships of all sizes including some of the largest ships in the world for 12 months and the 2 ships used in the UK for the other 6 months only produced the remaining 91% of the revenue for 2019.

This just proves that the UK market is greatly overcharged compared to the rest of the world?

Why then do they treat us so badly? When we are being used as a “Cash Cow” for the company.

No,  Those revenue figures are for RCCL UK bookings and include UK residents sailing from North America and other parts of the world.

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No,  Those revenue figures are for RCCL UK bookings and include UK residents sailing from North America and other parts of the world.

Very True, which perhaps is another reason they may feel that they can safely reduce or even cease  the availability from Southampton and yet still charge the UK higher prices?

4 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

If the cash cow is happy to be milked they have no reason to change. If demand drops then so will the prices. 

Some of the Canaries island cruises are eye-watering expensive. But sometimes there are deals if you factor in no flights or hotels to pay for. We've had two cruises ex Southampton 2017 and 2019, both to the Med. The second was much more expensive even though two days less (same time of year and cabin) 

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I’m in the USA and would love to have some of the inclusive offers you get in the UK

There's no such thing as a free lunch. You pay for it one way or another 

• Like 1

Well, good question tbf - the Autumn TA has certainly been diluted over the last few years.

In 2017 it was a 6 stop 15 dayer (itinerary was changed due to Irma), which we went on.

2018 was a 5 stop 14 dayer (the original 2017 itinerary minus St Kitts). We went on this, being different ports. 

We didn't do last year's, but this year we notice it is now down to a 3 stop 13 dayer, so watered down again and no longer of interest to us. 

Needless to say the pricing has remained pretty consistent though. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

I totally agree with you, We too really like to sail from Southampton for all the reasons you outlined. What i cannot understand is why they just "Dumped" the Independence of the Seas  schedule without a second thought and then during this awful period  we are in now, will not even be a little flexible when we pay premium rates. I asked to do a "L&S" from this years Canaries cruise on 17 October(10 nights)  to the virtually same cruise next year(11 nights) and to pay any supplements necessary. No chance total inflexibility.

Many on a social site are reporting that they have L&S their Canaries cruises, even though the days don’t tally, and one is just reporting that they have moved a Med to a Canaries so the days and the routes not tally.
If you don’t get the answers you want the first time then call again. On the free phone number, naturally,  so it doesn’t cost you! 

Edited by little britain

I totally agree with you, We too really like to sail from Southampton for all the reasons you outlined. What i cannot understand is why they just "Dumped" the Independence of the Seas  schedule without a second thought and then during this awful period  we are in now, will not even be a little flexible when we pay premium rates. I asked to do a "L&S" from this years Canaries cruise on 17 October(10 nights)  to the virtually same cruise next year(11 nights) and to pay any supplements necessary. No chance total inflexibility.

Independence wasn’t dumped.I got talking to an engineer onboard Indy last year and he said that she will be back in Southampton in 2022.It needs an engine overhaul and they couldn’t risk transatlantics until it is rectified.

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The ‘inclusive offers’ is the other reason why I wouldn’t do this route again. When most people onboard have a drinks package included, there’s a very obvious number who can’t manage their consumption. I think that’s the nicest way I can phrase it 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Really?

North Americans have never had all included drinks or flights offered as a promotion

Well no, but nothing is free and the UK has never benefited from US Caribbean cheap cruises and refundable deposits.  My goodness I'd have been triple pinnacle by now if we did 🤪

I don't think the 2 markets are comparable at all.

And as for sailing from Southampton - I love a good storm in the Bay of Biscay.  Call me weird but I really do.

If you are listening RC - please don't pull out of the UK.

Edited by livylotte
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree. 

They are offered on occasion on 5 night and above cruises but the price per week per couple is usually £500 more so we are paying for the Free Drinks Package.

Lots of Brits stop their onboard gratuities which might be a factor.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

Just adding that although cruises from Southampton are very expensive most of the time - the price does drop sometimes and you just have to grab it when you see it. 

I tend to avoid the 'free drinks' , 'all inclusive' offers because they almost always work out more and you can never get a price drop if you have booked when any of these promotions are being offered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kernow said:

I doubt they will pull out of the UK market, they seem to charge high prices here but still fill the ships. As for us having better offers  ('free' drinks and flights) I think we generally pay for those in the overall price. I know many people who don't like to fly so only cruise from Southampton (including my parents), personally I prefer to fly somewhere warmer to start my cruise and it usually still works out cheaper. As for their attitude to their UK customers, I think we've always been second class citizens.

Though until few months ago were filling every ship, think average was running at 108% plus Capacity. They'll charge what people are willing to pay. At least taking a Cruise is lot cheaper then when I started. I could do 4 weeks in a Cabin now for same price I paid in late 80's

Totally agree with the all inclusive drinks package..... nothing is free. We booked our June 2020 cruise on anthem in 2018. We paid £1800 pp for Virtual Balcony including Drinks Package. By Jan 2020 the same cabin without Drinks was £849 saving nearly a £1000 pp! At that time the drinks package pp for the total cruise was £750 pp

8 hours ago, livylotte said:

And as for sailing from Southampton - I love a good storm in the Bay of Biscay.  Call me weird but I really do.

If you are listening RC - please don't pull out of the UK.

I'm glad we're not the only ones who enjoy a good storm in the Bay of Biscay.

Like you, we hope that RC don't pull out of the UK. If they do we will have to find a new line. We are a no-fly family, for medical reasons.

10 hours ago, Caon74 said:

Independence wasn’t dumped.I got talking to an engineer onboard Indy last year and he said that she will be back in Southampton in 2022.It needs an engine overhaul and they couldn’t risk transatlantics until it is rectified.

A sound reason indeed, but why then would RC not state that? and not as they did to us through our TA that it was to capitalise on the newly revised Ladabee resort with short 7 day turnaround trips.

Edited by Lynnwood

10 hours ago, little britain said:

Many on a social site are reporting that they have L&S their Canaries cruises, even though the days don’t tally, and one is just reporting that they have moved a Med to a Canaries so the days and the routes not tally.
If you don’t get the answers you want the first time then call again. On the free phone number, naturally,  so it doesn’t cost you! 

Perhaps we were too late to the party?  My TA is a major online TA and I spoke to their customer services and still RC would not budge? Could it be that RC have a different attitude if you have booked directly?

Edited by Lynnwood

10 hours ago, little britain said:

I have just seen on another thread that someone in the USA was successful at moving an 11 night to a 12 night and that was done through a TA. As yet have not been able to find the social site entries you mention, i know its difficult to mention any specific sites but any pointers? 

Has anyone in the UK had an email about L&S? 

They did send me an email telling me about Cruise with Confidence so I'm definitely on their mailing list. 

Booked direct with RC online if it makes any difference.

Had it not been for Cruise Critic I would have no idea about L&S.

20 minutes ago, livylotte said:

They did send me an email telling me about Cruise with Confidence so I'm definitely on their mailing list. 

Me neither, it was from a general email sent by Cruise Critic that we became aware of the offer.

32 minutes ago, livylotte said:

No, there has been no notification about L&S. 

There are no TAs open so they cannot advise their clients.

As you say, if you were not on CC or the Other Social Media site you would have no idea.

I would say that possibly 50% of the cruising population of the UK have no idea of this promo.  Possibly more?

There are 5500 members of a page on the Other site for Anthem Southampton sailings.  Think how many people Anthem holds and how many times she is (meant to be) sailing from the UK this summer.  Barely scratched the surface.  Now think of people who don't do Social sites or even know of the existence of CC...

I have 2 elderly Pinnacle friends - they don't even have email...!

Edited by little britain

14 hours ago, Caon74 said:

If that's the case (and it sounds plausible as to why she is currently consigned to short Caribbean cruises), I'm surprised that they didn't swap Indy and one of her sisters to cover the Southampton sailings (e.g. Freedom or Liberty in Southampton and Indy in either Galveston or San Juan). The fact that the whole season and all of those cruises were withdrawn is what felt calculated to me, it just felt like they were grabbing an opportunity to maximise sailings to CocoCay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Btw anyone know why they pulled out of Harwich?  We used to take the nonstop train from Liverpool Street Station right into the port.  Very convenient. 

I think that they replaced Harwich with Amsterdam for the long cruises. Ultimately I think home-porting near the centre of Amsterdam is probably a bigger attraction for the average tourist than a port which is 80 miles out of London.

• Like 1