Tipping

6 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

Well, I just read all 13 pages of this thread.  (Yes, I am very bored.)  I gotta say, I am very confused about tipping now.  I think I will just go back to the very first post and do whatever it says, but since someone was arguing that you pay more if you are in a  suite, I am not sure if I should.  I really thought the gratuities on my invoice would pay for everything. 

All this tipping drama is gonna scare me away from cruising more than covid 19 or norovirus. 

Paying autograts or not, tipping extra or not,  not tipping at all.  All of these are a personal choice. Do what you feel is right and don't let anybody on here bully you into anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

Are there any typically tipped positions that don't receive tips with auto gratuities? I remember working my way through college, so I like to make sure I help others out. 

I wouldn't worry about what others say - do what you want to do when it comes to tipping.

There are huge cultural differences (you worked your way through college presumably because you paid alot of money to go to college? Meanwhile where I'm from we get university (your college equivalent) all for free and got transport to and from college for free.

In the nicest way (as I know I've been a bit sarky with one poster on here but that is only because of how they post)...How can we compare your life to mine when it comes to what we feel is right and wrong when we've had hugely different experiences?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Any subject to do with money will always bring out arguments. The simple fact is, it is up to the individual to decide if they want to tip or not. The cruising industry is open to visitors from all over the world and different cultures, therefor these people have different beliefs in regards to tipping.

For example in america it is custom to tip for things where as in Japan it is considered rude to tip. 

I know what i do and i am not going to share it on a forum, but i respect other peoples decisions

I can actually agree with this.  However, I would go a step further and say when in .... do as ....does.  So, if cruising from Japan and it is not customary to tip or it is considered rude (and the tip is probably included in the cruise price) then there should not be a tip.  However, if cruising from the US then pay the tip because it is customary and therefore not included in the cruise fare.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

People here say it is common to tip room service. I have never used it so I can't speak for myself. I can't really think of much else. If you buy a drink 18% is automatically added. If you but a drink package 18% is automatically added to the price. If you eat in a specialty restaurant 18% is added to that. Pretty much anything you buy on the ship outside of the retail shops will have 18% added to it. No tipping is needed in the shops. 

So, pretty much, if you pay the auto grats you are covered.

Unless it’s continental breakfast (or you are in a suite) room service already carries the $7.95 delivery fee PLUS 18% gratuity

• Like 3

My thoughts on tipping, or hotel service fees for that matter, is a way for an industry to lower the inflated tax prices. For simplistic numbers, if a hotel charges $1,000 for the room for your trip, most places tax it at 12% (your state or area may be different). That is now $1,120. If they charge $800 and you cover the tips, it is $896 + what ever you want to tip. It is a small tax savings, but some nonetheless. Regardless of what anyone else does on their cruise, my plans are as follows:

Drinks/Bartenders: 18% tip has already been paid. However, I will find those 2-3 that are great that I will go to for the week and tip them early for faster/better service.

Wait Staff: They are included in the autograts. If they are extraordinary, then I will tip additional at the end if it is the same people. If not, I will tip them at the end of the meal.

Room Steward: For lack of a better term and no real offense from this statement. They are basically an indentured maid for the room. I don't think you can say you don't want them, so you are kinda stuck with them. Since that is the case and they are cleaning up after us for the week, they deserve additional tips. I haven't decided how much or what is appropriate. I am thinking in the neighborhood of maybe $50 cash up front and determine if more is warranted on the last night. 

Obviously porters and bag handlers will get their typical tips, but that is about all I can think of. I will also ask them to write their name for me so I know who gave great service and send a compliment letter in detailing each one and how they made the vacation better. Not typed, a hand written letter acknowledging specific people. I have a feeling that may carry more weight for them in the future than an extra $5 for the week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

My thoughts on tipping.....

That is all well and good as well as generous. However, for someone who is confused about how tipping works in the ships and what they should be doing, paying the auto grats pretty much covers them. Anything else is extra generosity.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

My thoughts on tipping, or hotel service fees for that matter, is a way for an industry to lower the inflated tax prices. For simplistic numbers, if a hotel charges $1,000 for the room for your trip, most places tax it at 12% (your state or area may be different). That is now $1,120. If they charge $800 and you cover the tips, it is $896 + what ever you want to tip. It is a small tax savings, but some nonetheless. Regardless of what anyone else does on their cruise, my plans are as follows:

Drinks/Bartenders: 18% tip has already been paid. However, I will find those 2-3 that are great that I will go to for the week and tip them early for faster/better service.

Wait Staff: They are included in the autograts. If they are extraordinary, then I will tip additional at the end if it is the same people. If not, I will tip them at the end of the meal.

Room Steward: For lack of a better term and no real offense from this statement. They are basically an indentured maid for the room. I don't think you can say you don't want them, so you are kinda stuck with them. Since that is the case and they are cleaning up after us for the week, they deserve additional tips. I haven't decided how much or what is appropriate. I am thinking in the neighborhood of maybe $50 cash up front and determine if more is warranted on the last night. 

Obviously porters and bag handlers will get their typical tips, but that is about all I can think of. I will also ask them to write their name for me so I know who gave great service and send a compliment letter in detailing each one and how they made the vacation better. Not typed, a hand written letter acknowledging specific people. I have a feeling that may carry more weight for them in the future than an extra $5 for the week.

I honestly don't get the room steward one.  You have already tipped them for doing their job.  Their job is to clean up after you.  What you propose is to give them more money as a tip before they have actually done anything for you just because they are doing the job they get paid for and you have already tipped for.   Fair enough if they go above and beyond but it would have to be exceptional.  Just getting me an ice bucket is not above and beyond, neither is making an animal our of a towel.

Your money, your choice but personally I hate tip inflation.  People used to pay tips as they saw fit to individuals, then it became a basic percentage which is given out by the company.  Now the tip inflation kicks in.  You give the 18% but also want to give more.  How about is RCI increased tips to 25% instead?

Its the same in the Orlando area and Disney in particular.  Tips were suggested on the bills.  Those suggestions have become larger and larger over the year.  Heard of a 30% suggestion, circled by the waiter recently.

• Like 4

I prepay gratuities and tip extra to stewards and bar/wait staff because I am just a tipper. I do not feel that tipping beyond the charged gratuities is necessary, just nice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

People here say it is common to tip room service. I have never used it so I can't speak for myself. I can't really think of much else. If you buy a drink 18% is automatically added. If you but a drink package 18% is automatically added to the price. If you eat in a specialty restaurant 18% is added to that. Pretty much anything you buy on the ship outside of the retail shops will have 18% added to it. No tipping is needed in the shops. 

So, pretty much, if you pay the auto grats you are covered.

With these 18% added to every consumption bill it's more than generous then no matter if service was poor, just ok or excellent it covers it all more than enough on top of the auto gratuity for the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LXA350 said:

With these 18% added to every consumption bill it's more than generous then no matter if service was poor, just ok or excellent it covers it all more than enough on top of the auto gratuity for the cruise.

I tend to agree with you. If I buy an overpriced drink 18% on top of that is generous. And it gets paid no matter how long you have to wait for the drink or how well it is made.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, amurray88 said:

Ahhh sorry, just trying to follow your rules - stupid me, so people are idiots if they remove autograts on a RCI cruise but it's fine on NCL - fully understand your rules now. Glad your rules in no way show hypocrisy, apologies for my previous misunderstanding 😂

No, my one time I modified, not removed, autograts on NCL was because a change in policy would have caused me to double tip, which I won't do. NCL's constant changes is one of the reasons I refuse to sail them anymore. Of course, with proper English language lessons anyone who read my post would have fully understood what was being communicated. Only someone with limited skills or someone who is a regular pond scum autograt remover would fail to understand what I was saying.

For the record, I have never stated anyone who removes their autograts to be idiots, stupid, or low in intelligence. If anything, they may be smarter because they have learned to use their pond scum level of integrity to get a cheaper cruise.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:43 AM, amurray88 said:

I wouldn't worry about what others say - do what you want to do when it comes to tipping.

There are huge cultural differences (you worked your way through college presumably because you paid alot of money to go to college? Meanwhile where I'm from we get university (your college equivalent) all for free and got transport to and from college for free.

In the nicest way (as I know I've been a bit sarky with one poster on here but that is only because of how they post)...How can we compare your life to mine when it comes to what we feel is right and wrong when we've had hugely different experiences?

Your college and transportation weren't free, they were simply paid for by someone else.

21 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Your college and transportation weren't free, they were simply paid for by someone else.

Yes and my comment was talking about the person who goes to university not having to work therefore having a different experience so the comment was made to indicate that the lerson going to university gets it for free. You really are a silly sausage sometimes.

34 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

No, my one time I modified, not removed, autograts on NCL was because a change in policy would have caused me to double tip, which I won't do. NCL's constant changes is one of the reasons I refuse to sail them anymore. Of course, with proper English language lessons anyone who read my post would have fully understood what was being communicated. Only someone with limited skills or someone who is a regular pond scum autograt remover would fail to understand what I was saying.

For the record, I have never stated anyone who removes their autograts to be idiots, stupid, or low in intelligence. If anything, they may be smarter because they have learned to use their pond scum level of integrity to get a cheaper cruise.

Apologies, really hard to learn English on here when people say phrases like "One doesn't needed to know what happened to it", trying to learn when others around me spoke such broken English makes it really hard 😜 I'm sure NCL are devastated at losing you as a customer.

The person that says "Removal of autograts should be banned. Autograts should be treated like port charges and taxes. If you go on the cruise, they are paid and no refunds. If you miss the cruise they are returned. No ifs, ands, or buts about it." And then a few pages later says he once reduced them....

Woopsies, once again looking like a silly sausage.

Screenshot_20200616-213102.png

On 6/14/2020 at 9:45 AM, Ocean Boy said:

That is all well and good as well as generous. However, for someone who is confused about how tipping works in the ships and what they should be doing, paying the auto grats pretty much covers them. Anything else is extra generosity.

This is exactly right and often gets lost in the back and forth on most tipping threads. Leave the autograts in place and you are covered.  There should be no pressure or expectation to do otherwise.  Some do and that was the intent of the thread, to explore what people might be doing once they are able to return to cruising.  

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

that was the intent of the thread, to explore what people might be doing once they are able to return to cruising.  

Wait a minute, I thought the intent was to be a mask diversion?🤔😉😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I´m from Germany and I have been to the U.S. a few times, so I know how it works over there. But I´m new to cruising and this tipping thing with prepaid gratuities is confusing me. When I was in the U.S., I think I always tipped more than what was expected, for example often more than 20% in restaurants if I received great service. I tipped almost everyone who provided me with a service and I´m planning to do the same on top of the automatic gratuities for my first cruise with RCI here in Europe - well, if it won´t get cancelled. But I´m not sure what would be an appropriate amount for additional tips. If I read the FAQ´s on Royals´ website, it seems to me that you already tip some of the crew members twice with the automatic gratuities. So I´ll pay the automatic service gratuity per night and per person and that will be shared among dining, bar and culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel service teams who work behind the scenes. (From their FAQ´s) Plus, with every drink package and speciality dining there´s an additional 18% fee for gratuities. That sounds to me like bartenders and servers receive more of the automatic tips than the stateroom attendants does? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don´t get it. And to be honest, I´m really wondering if all of the crew members receive anything of that from their cruise line. Please don´t get me wrong, I would never remove the automatic gratuities, I´m just wondering about that. 

12 minutes ago, German Mermaid said:

I´m planning to do the same on top of the automatic gratuities for my first cruise with RCI here in Europe - well, if it won´t get cancelled. But I´m not sure what would be an appropriate amount for additional tips. 

There no "appropriate"amount. You are covered with the auto gratuities. Any amount over that you choose to give is being generous.

5 minutes ago, German Mermaid said:

Well, I´m new to cruises and from what I´ve read in this topic it seems to be a standard to give additional tips, and I really doubt that crew members will receive the automatic gratuities. 

You pay the auto gratuities. If the crew does not get them then that is an issue between the employee and employer. It truly is not something we have to worry about.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, Mallefiscent said:

Are there any typically tipped positions that don't receive tips with auto gratuities? I remember working my way through college, so I like to make sure I help others out. 

Not positive about this but I believe that the complimentary Diamond drinks during happy hour do not include gratitudes. Drinks with the package or bought separate do.

M8 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, it's not.

Simple clarification

It is usual for kind and generous cruisers to give additional tips, as a standard protocol.

For other cruisers, same being not kind or generous, it is a standard protocol not to give additional tips. 

So in essence both groups do have a "standard" protocol.