Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

4 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I visited Newfoundland in 2016 and 2019, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/PEI in 2012, and Nova Scotia in 2005.  Eh?

I actually like Canadian deference.  American rebelliousness can be very tiring at times.

The nicest people in Canada are from Newfoundland.  The other 'maritime' folks are nice too.

7 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Although we enjoyed (past tense) cruising, our real passion is cycle touring. We have covered parts of France, England,  Austria and the Netherlands on two wheels, and hope to have the opportunity to do so once again before age becomes a factor.

Because distances between towns are so much greater in our part of the country, and due to lack of cycling infrastructure (including bike-safe accommodation), we will have to be content with cycling around our city and outskirts for the foreseeable future.

Have you thought about cycling around Les Isles-de-la Madeleine or St. Pierre et Miquelon (forgive my spelling).

5 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

And not less than 24 hours later WHO takes that back. 

Source:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/world/coronavirus-updates.html 

The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is ‘very rare.’

A top expert at the World Health Organization on Tuesday walked back her earlier assertion that transmission of the coronavirus by people who do not have symptoms is “very rare.”  

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a “misunderstanding” to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally.

“I was just responding to a question, I wasn’t stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that,” she said.

Not to editorialize, but all these reversals don't exactly engender a lot of confidence -- especially when NEJM is contemporaneously publishing research editorials like Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19 (source: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2009758).    Scott. 

If the "authorities" in whatever country wish to be believed about what the public is told, they need to get their act together ASAP!  If not, the public will be left with an unfunny reminder of the old Abbott and Costello routine of "Whose on First Base".  

Who to believe?  What to believe?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

The nicest people in Canada are from Newfoundland.  The other 'maritime' folks are nice too.

We love Newfoundland!  We visited St. John's in July 2016 for the annual Folk Festival.  It was a blast.

As a bonus, I was able to experience the Canadian health care system -- after a sliding window in our Bonavista B&B fell and crushed several of my fingers.  My fingers survived, and the rest of me did, too.

Newfoundland is like a whole other world, simply amazing, the best mussels and cod gratin,  real turkey, ripe tomatoes, home cooking,  and people who speak to you on the street and don’t want money!  

The dialect may be confusing but you are still in Canada with some of the most stunning scenery.  But it takes longer to get there from the west then Europe.  But we will be back!  Just watch out for the screech and kissing the cod! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I was to have been in Newfoundland this past week, visiting my daughter, seeing the countryside and her new house. It will have to wait, but I think that that is where I will end up later this year (fingers crossed) once provincial quarantines are done.

• Like 1

In the Canadian Financial Post today was an article about the rebound in consumer spending for the items previously posted, RV sales, pool sales etc.

Most interesting.

What it says is that people are "nesting" and planning more North American travel. 

Just less $ lying around for cruising.

PS - Newfoundland is awesome. Try to take the ferries both ways, most interesting. If you are not from NFLD, you are "from away"!!!!

30 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

And, unconfirmed sources say that the Canada/US border closure will be extended beyond the current June 21 date.  Who knows?  But, like a lot of people, we're staying close to home.

I think that would be  a good move.  And I heard that there will be accommodation for families who are separated due to the border being closed to return to Canada.

We are also staying close to home.

35 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

And, unconfirmed sources say that the Canada/US border closure will be extended beyond the current June 21 date.  Who knows?  But, like a lot of people, we're staying close to home.

Well, it seems that the intent is to extend the closure to late July, "Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely.  Especially given the huge spike in Washington state right now.  However, moves are being made to reunite family members.
I think the general feeling here in BC is relief.  Once Washington state gets the better of the virus, we will breath easier.

22 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Nice try but even Canadian passport holders must do their 14 day sentence in self isolation!  And I don't think camping would count. 🤤

Otherwise we'd love to have you visit.

Ruth

The athletes on the team I volunteered for gave me "Honorary Canadian" status.  My now-ex and I were even building a vacation house in Alberta (in Canmore).  My first trips to Canada were to Toronto to do some IT work for the Globe & Mail.  Love that city.  I was always excited to have a trip to Canada.  I look forward too doing it again!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bennybear said:

@slidergirl  maybe you can visit one of our favourite US parks, Glacier.  It is magnificent but will be busy but east side less so.  Try two medicine but shhhhh!     

@bennybear - it's on my radar if I decide to drive North for one of my camping trips.  My problem is that the "hamster wheel in my brain" starts to go crazy and I get waaaay too many ideas!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Well, it seems that the intent is to extend the closure to late July, "Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely.  Especially given the huge spike in Washington state right now.  However, moves are being made to reunite family members.
I think the general feeling here in BC is relief.  Once Washington state gets the better of the virus, we will breath easier.

"Huge spike in Washington state right now"?  Did I miss something?  Details, please.

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

"Huge spike in Washington state right now"?  Did I miss something?  Details, please.

This had me puzzled too, I live here and never heard this.  So I asked my DSIL who is a medical professional in the Seattle area.  This was his answer:   We’ve seen a rise in daily new cases in Washington as a whole since 5/26, but I wouldn’t call it a spike.
King County is actually trending down still, but I think everyone is on edge right now as crowds gather in the streets and people are generally increasing their public exposure.
We’re seeing lots of great evidence that masking helps, so if everyone can block their breath out in public we might be able to allow more activity.

My county and the others between here and the Canadian border all went to Phase 2 because our numbers are decreasing.  It's natural to see a rise in numbers when things start to open up, but this is the first I've heard of a "huge spike". 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

This had me puzzled too, I live here and never heard this.  So I asked my DSIL who is a medical professional in the Seattle area.  This was his answer:   We’ve seen a rise in daily new cases in Washington as a whole since 5/26, but I wouldn’t call it a spike.
King County is actually trending down still, but I think everyone is on edge right now as crowds gather in the streets and people are generally increasing their public exposure.
We’re seeing lots of great evidence that masking helps, so if everyone can block their breath out in public we might be able to allow more activity.

My county and the others between here and the Canadian border all went to Phase 2 because our numbers are decreasing.  It's natural to see a rise in numbers when things start to open up, but this is the first I've heard of a "huge spike". 

Our county went to Phase 2 as well.  So have the other counties on the west side of Puget Sound.  

I believe the "huge uptick" comment arose from a recent statement by BC's Health Minister, Adrian Dix.  Referring to "significant upticks" in COVID cases, Mr. Dix said that "case rates have spiked dramatically" in Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona.  Regrettably, he lumped the four states together without differentiating among the states and among regions within the states.

• Like 1

The border MUST remain closed. See this...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/11/treasury-secretary-mnuchin-says-we-cant-shut-down-the-economy-again.html

The prognosis for Canada and USA is diverging. The tactical situation in Canada is manageable. The tactical situation in the USA is poor and deteriorating. I'll explain if anyone is interested.

As fall approaches, the advantage shifts to covid. In winter, people will congregate indoors again.

No one knows when an effective vaccine will be widely available. So, the border remains closed.

Hawaii itineraries canceled to February!

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The border MUST remain closed. See this...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/11/treasury-secretary-mnuchin-says-we-cant-shut-down-the-economy-again.html

The prognosis for Canada and USA is diverging. The tactical situation in Canada is manageable. The tactical situation in the USA is poor and deteriorating. I'll explain if anyone is interested.

As fall approaches, the advantage shifts to covid. In winter, people will congregate indoors again.

No one knows when an effective vaccine will be widely available. So, the border remains closed.

Hawaii itineraries canceled to February!

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

There are regional differences that should be taken into account in any reopening discussion.  The Northern Border Caucus in the House of Representatives notes that the pandemic is not monolithic within regions, much less within states -- so framing border closings in terms of "Canada versus the United States" is painting with too broad a brush.  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/12/canada-us-border-rules-new-york-315717

On the other hand, I can see the value in keeping borders closed in certain areas.  For example, COVID cases and deaths in Quebec are sky-high, especially when compared to border states like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.  I'm sure the locals in those states are reluctant to see a flood of Quebecois cross the borders. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

There are regional differences that should be taken into account in any reopening discussion.  The Northern Border Caucus in the House of Representatives notes that the pandemic is not monolithic within regions, much less within states -- so framing border closings in terms of "Canada versus the United States" is painting with too broad a brush.  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/12/canada-us-border-rules-new-york-315717

On the other hand, I can see the value in keeping borders closed in certain areas.  For example, COVID cases and deaths in Quebec are sky-high, especially when compared to border states like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.  I'm sure the locals in those states are reluctant to see a flood of Quebecois cross the borders. 

I’m sorry, I disagree.

Your infection and spread is not under control and who knows where it goes next?

Quebec’s rate of spread is sad as it is mostly in retirement homes.  

We are doing our best here and other than one zone, we are still covid free.  If you think we want people here that might be spreading, not wearing masks, etc.,  then you need another think coming.

We are working to make sure that we are safe.  When the Unites States getting things under control, possibly yes, but right now as much as I love my friends in the U.S., I want our borders closed.

I don’t mean to point fingers nor be personal but it’s now our health at risk.  And since we are taking seriously here, I hope the borders stay shut until we see a change in the United States.  Sorry.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m sorry, I disagree.

Your infection and spread is not under control and who knows where it goes next?

Quebec’s rate of spread is sad as it is mostly in retirement homes.  

We are doing our best here and other than one zone, we are still covid free.  If you think we want people here that might be spreading, not wearing masks, etc.,  then you need another think coming.

We are working to make sure that we are safe.  When the Unites States getting things under control, possibly yes, but right now as much as I love my friends in the U.S., I want our borders closed.

I don’t mean to point fingers nor be personal but it’s now our health at risk.  And since we are taking seriously here, I hope the borders stay shut until we see a change in the United States.  Sorry.

Here's the letter from the Northern Border Caucus, issued today.  https://higgins.house.gov/sites/higgins.house.gov/files/6-12-20 NORTHERN BORDER.pdf

I know Canadians are famous for saying "sorry."  Still, I appreciate you saying it (twice).  https://www.cbc.ca/2017/sorry-can-we-talk-about-why-canadians-apologize-so-much-1.3939997

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here's the letter from the Northern Border Caucus, issued today.  https://higgins.house.gov/sites/higgins.house.gov/files/6-12-20 NORTHERN BORDER.pdf

I know Canadians are famous for saying "sorry."  Still, I appreciate you saying it (twice).  https://www.cbc.ca/2017/sorry-can-we-talk-about-why-canadians-apologize-so-much-1.3939997

Translation - the border will remain closed.

Please don’t generalize Canadians.  The sorry’s = you don’t get it.  I’m sorry for you and not apologizing for us.

Hang in and wait and I am pretty sure the border will stay closed as it should be.  And NO, I’m not sorry if that happens. 

We have enough to to deal with here.  We don’t need other issues, thank you.

• Like 2

Lots of public support where we live to have the border closure extended.  And for the port closures to cruise ships.  Seems to me the right thing to do for both sides of the border.    Opening the ports to cruise ships would have been a disaster.  Academic now since I doubt whether we will see any cruise ships operating before 2021.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

Please don’t generalize Canadians.  The sorry’s = you don’t get it.  I’m sorry for you and not apologizing for us.

Hang in and wait and I am pretty sure the border will stay closed as it should be.  And NO, I’m not sorry if that happens. 

I posted the Northern Border Caucus letter to the U.S. and Canadian governments.  Rather than say I "don't get it," you might want to respond to the letter itself.  That would be more useful.

Also, it seems Canadians generalize about their language.  Sorry.   https://www.queensu.ca/strathy/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.stratwww/files/files/publications/volume8/Barr-Gillberry-Wp8.pdf

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I posted the Northern Border Caucus letter to the U.S. and Canadian governments.  Rather than say I "don't get it," you might want to respond to the letter itself.  That would be more useful.

Also, it seems Canadians generalize about their language.  Sorry.   https://www.queensu.ca/strathy/sites/webpublish.queensu.ca.stratwww/files/files/publications/volume8/Barr-Gillberry-Wp8.pdf

Personally, I don't bother to read your links.  Your comments on your posts speak volumes. 

I am kind of reminded of an old Bolder Patrol episode, where a US citizen got really upset about one of our laws which restricted his entering into Canada, and his comment was along the lines of how dare we have different laws and rules from the US, after all we are just another state. 

It's fine if you don't like us, but we live and abide by our own rules, laws, ethics, what have you.  And we like us.

• Like 4