New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

I managed cyber security for a worldwide oil & gas/chemical company and we had to do risk assessments all of the time, sometimes with governments breathing down our backs. I got to learn about risk assessments from many different perspectives but it was the only way to get the board of directors to understand that cyber security was just like plant safety when it came to assessing and mitigating risk.

Your friend.

Joe from Austin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Honestly, I think it's more an issue of the passengers than the medical staff.  The only issue I've seen on my (admittedly limited) cruises was on Cunard when they had the beginnings of a Noro outbreak, they quarantined one family who kept breaking their quarantine - we heard them being paged ship-wide on several occasions.  Apparently they felt that "we paid for this cruise, we're going to enjoy it" - so instead of a 72-hour in-cabin quarantine, they got put ashore in Aruba, I believe, where they were immediately placed in quarantine by the local authorities (7 or 14 day, I'm not sure which) and then they had to make their own way home. 

Karma, you make me smile.

I didn’t realize the depth of ignorance regarding the pandemic until the 4th of July.  While I believe 100% that Regent would disembark any passenger that does not follow protocols, it sounds as if they would need to be locked into a quarantine room if they do show signs of the virus and/or if they test positive.

• Like 1

"The coronavirus can stay aloft for hours in tiny droplets in stagnant air, infecting people as they inhale, mounting scientific evidence suggests. This risk is highest in crowded indoor spaces  and may help explain superspreading events reported in meatpacking plants, churches and restaurants."

If this is true then it adds another dimension to how COVID-19 can spread and creates another hurdle to making sure cruise ships are safe. It is also another reason why masks are so critical to reduce the odds of transmission.

• Like 1

Coughing or sneezing release large amounts of large droplets and can easily transmit COVID. What they are finding is that these smaller droplets are produced from talking or singing or just normal activities and they can hang around in the air for hours in enclosed areas such as churches, bars, restaurants etc. These smaller droplets are believed to be contagious as well and there is no obvious sneeze or cough to alert you. If this is true, masks take on a greater importance in limiting the mass spread of COVID-19. Even more so than washing hands and keeping social distancing, which are still important to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Coughing or sneezing release large amounts of large droplets and can easily transmit COVID. What they are finding is that these smaller droplets are produced from talking or singing or just normal activities and they can hang around in the air for hours in enclosed areas such as churches, bars, restaurants etc. These smaller droplets are believed to be contagious as well and there is no obvious sneeze or cough to alert you. If this is true, masks take on a greater importance in limiting the mass spread of COVID-19. Even more so than washing hands and keeping social distancing, which are still important to do.

Yeah, depressing, isn't it?  We're all going to stand around (sparsely, six feet apart) in one of those lovely lounges, not able to smile through a mask, trying to talk as loudly and clearly as possible, and slipping the mask off to have a sip from our martini. Forget about meeting new people on a cruise.

• Like 1

There is a large segment of our society who refuse to wear masks, or social distance.  They will be the passengers onboard the first cruise departures.  I'll be taking a wait and see attitude.  I plan to cancel all of my bookings at least  through June 2021.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

There is a large segment of our society who refuse to wear masks, or social distance.  They will be the passengers onboard the first cruise departures.  I'll be taking a wait and see attitude.  I plan to cancel all of my bookings at least  through June 2021.

Wow... that’s not true. My DH and I adhere to all the rules, including masks, gloves, social distancing, hand washing etc. 
We hope to be able to cruise as soon as sailing starts up.. If you choose not to, that’s your decision. 

7 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Wow... that’s not true. My DH and I adhere to all the rules, including masks, gloves, social distancing, hand washing etc. 
We hope to be able to cruise as soon as sailing starts up.. If you choose not to, that’s your decision. 

Agree with you Sheila.  Those people who choose not to wear masks and risk killing other people will not be sailing on Regent anytime in the foreseeable future.  If they are caught not adhering to any protocols, they will be put off of the ship at the next port (and kept isolation until they get there).  Regent has too much to lose if they do not follow CDC guidelines.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent has too much to lose if they do not follow CDC guidelines.  

Which is why you aren't going to see any Regent cruises for six months; FdR basically said that this morning.

1 minute ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I didn’t see that... where can I read it?

sheila

He was on CNBC with Richard Fain; two men that obviously don't like each other.  I don't know if their is a transcript; if there is I am sure greykitty will find it.

Marc

4 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

He was on CNBC with Richard Fain; two men that obviously don't like each other.  I don't know if their is a transcript; if there is I am sure greykitty will find it.

Marc

So what exactly did he say?
Did he say there will be no sailings on Regent for six months?

Thats big news!

@mrlevin, LOL!  I think this is the interview you mentioned - link to five minute video from Squawk on the Street within story, or here

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/07/07/royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-to-partner-on-health-protocols-for-cruises.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/companies/cruise-companies-hire-dr-scott-gottlieb-other-coronavirus-experts-to-help-overcome-rough-patch/ar-BB16rRGz

Honestly, I can't see major cruising until 2021

The implication of the aerosol COVID droplets (the small ones in size) is that they are airborne and even though a space is not occupied by someone, say a bar on the cruise ship, but the person with the COVID virus (no symptoms) was there minutes ago enjoying a drink (mask pulled down to drink) and just talking normally. You walk up to the bar because no one is there now, take off your mask to enjoy your drink (or at a dinner table) and you inhale those aerosol droplets that have been lingering. Everyone followed the mask protocols only to pull them down to eat or drink and yet the virus could be spread. Indoors is particularly vulnerable because the air is not circulating as much as if you were outdoors. Many doctors and researchers worldwide are now subscribing to this idea. If that's the case, it makes it much more difficult to create a safe space anywhere on the ship. 

• Like 2

Just read and watched links...
Sorry, I guess I missed the part where FDR said no sailing for six months or not until 2021( which is 6 months away). 
None of us know when we will be sailing again... so let’s wait until they actually tell us. Whatever they believe is the best thing to do, is ok by me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Which is why you aren't going to see any Regent cruises for six months; FdR basically said that this morning.

Marc, why not just tell us exactly what he said, so we don't have to search for it. Your statement sounds inflammatory otherwise.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

8 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Marc, why not just tell us exactly what he said, so we don't have to search for it. Your statement sounds inflammatory otherwise.

Because he didn't say anything except that they have enough funds to last until end of 2021 without cruising and he didn't think it would be that long; you can read the transcript.  If you watch the video, look at his body language.  Look at his lack of interaction with Richard Fain.  Look at how they say they will have recommendations from the panel by end of August THEN they will develop their protocols to submit to the various government bodies.  At one point he specifically mentions Oceania and Regent.  He seemed scared (in my opinion) to have any problems happen on either of those two lines versus NCL.  He seemed (again in my opinion) to think the impact of any health issues on any of the lines far outweighed any income that might come in from cruising soon.  He seemed (again in my opinion) to think that the optics of a supposedly luxury cruise on Oceania or Regent with masks and social distancing to be far more negative than any income they would make.  

Watch the video yourself and make your own conclusions; these are just mine.

Marc

edited to add:  Did you see the pictures out of London last weekend with all the pubs?  Notice that very few were wearing masks?  Did you see that the police also weren't wearing masks?  Ponant will be the trial for US based luxury lines; if they do well; maybe Regent will do well; but if Europeans aren't wearing masks that is a totally different experience than currently being envisage by some here.

Edited by mrlevin

We may learn a bit more from the next RCLH earnings reports, which is reported to be on or around Thursday, August 13th, 2020.  What I say on TV may be one thing - what I'm saying to the SEC may be another.

Marc, whole you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I believe it is fair to say that you are not a fan of FDR.  This could play into your interpretation of what he said.   I feel that we should all be honest about our prejudices when making a post.  

4 minutes ago, greykitty said:

We may learn a bit more from the next RCLH earnings reports, which is reported to be on or around Thursday, August 13th, 2020.  What I say on TV may be one thing - what I'm saying to the SEC may be another.

Tell Elon Musk that. Any CEO who makes irresponsible public statements is subject to grave  consequences. But then again, I think there was a post a while back where some read more into a " going concern" than anyone who knew what a regulatory filing was intended to do.