New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

6 minutes ago, taxare said:

TC, When I first saw your new picture I thought the mask said "I'm sailing", not "I'm smiling". I hope you get to do both soon!!!

Ha ha!  Someone told me the same thing yesterday.  I also hope that we can do both soon.  Now that masks are available almost everywhere, I'm developing a small collection for cruising.  Today one arrived with the face of a cat (very appropriate for me):classic_ninja:

• Like 1

Ever the optimists, we today made speciality restaurant reservations for our booked cruise scheduled for September. Unsurprisingly we had plenty of choice for time & date 😉

It was interesting to observe that the dining reservation page on the website still offered us the option to share our table. I think that Regent may wish to address that anomaly in their proposed methods of operation going forward - at least for any cruises scheduled to sail this year 😷

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Ever the optimists, we today made speciality restaurant reservations for our booked cruise scheduled for September. Unsurprisingly we had plenty of choice for time & date 😉

It was interesting to observe that the dining reservation page on the website still offered us the option to share our table. I think that Regent may wish to address that anomaly in their proposed methods of operation going forward - at least for any cruises scheduled to sail this year 😷

I scheduled my dining reservations for an August Baltic cruise (which should get cancelled this week) about a month ago, and had all the same thoughts! Probably the only time I will get the early times for every location!

OH NO! Do I understand from the posts above that Regent is going to early - late, fixed time, fixed seating dining? Please say it isn’t so. Everybody knows that one of the best thing to do to avoid the virus is to stay out of crowds. And anybody who has been on a mass market line knows that the worse crowds on them is the one that gathers to enter the dining room at “their time”.  And open MDR times and seating gives guests the flexibility to enjoy their cruise. Please, Regent, don’t do this to us.

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

OH NO! Do I understand from the posts above that Regent is going to early - late, fixed time, fixed seating dining? Please say it isn’t so. Everybody knows that one of the best thing to do to avoid the virus is to stay out of crowds. And anybody who has been on a mass market line knows that the worse crowds on them is the one that gathers to enter the dining room at “their time”.  And open MDR times and seating gives guests the flexibility to enjoy their cruise. Please, Regent, don’t do this to us.

But Richard, the specialty reservations have always been timed!

Wendy,

Yes, I know that specialty restaurants have always been timed. I should have been more clear in my post, but I took it from the posts above that the Compass Rose was going to two seatings with fixed tables. This is one time I hope I was wrong! Please tell me I was!

In specialty restaurants, all of us have reservations.  Most people have noticed that the specialty dining venues are pretty empty at 6:30 p.m. and it fills up slowly the later that it gets.  Unlike "set seating" there are not two groups that come in all at once.  No one in specialty restaurants try to rush you off for the next group.  Also, on cruise lines that have set seating, you typically have to sit with the same people every night.  I cannot imagine Regent doing something like this.  

I'm assuming that reservations in specialty restaurants may be more difficult to get since all of the tables cannot be filled.  However, they might be able use both CR and Sette Mari for dinner (with the CR menu) or extend outside dining (weather permitting).  

All, we have been to the "Regent Rodeo" before -- maybe about 20 times (I can't count how many times). We do know that reservations for specialty restaurants have always been needed. No problem. My question, inspired by a couple of posts above, is whether the Compass Rose, will, on future cruises, impose two seating dining and fixed table seating. That is my question , which has nothing to do with specialty restaurants on board. Yet, nobody has answered my question with a simple "yes or no". Will somebody please do so?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

All, we have been to the "Regent Rodeo" before -- maybe about 20 times (I can't count how many times). We do know that reservations for specialty restaurants have always been needed. No problem. My question, inspired by a couple of posts above, is whether the Compass Rose, will, on future cruises, impose two seating dining and fixed table seating. That is my question , which has nothing to do with specialty restaurants on board. Yet, nobody has answered my question with a simple "yes or no". Will somebody please do so?

Nobody knows and any answer would be pure speculation.

10 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

There is no definitive answer at this moment.  Anything that would be posted is a guess and my guess is a strong NO.  If there is going to be a change in how CR is run, Regent will announce it!!!!!

Please try to be kind.  Sometimes I (and others) expand on an answer so that posters that have not "been to the 'Regent Rodeo' before" have an understanding.   

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

My question, inspired by a couple of posts above, is whether the Compass Rose, will, on future cruises, impose two seating dining and fixed table seating.

If you are referring to my post, I was specifically referring to reservations in the speciality restaurants. I thought that was clear .......... sorry to have confused you.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:09 AM, flossie009 said:

Ever the optimists, we today made speciality restaurant reservations ...............

30 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

That is my question , which has nothing to do with specialty restaurants on board. Yet, nobody has answered my question with a simple "yes or no". Will somebody please do so?

As far as I am aware Regent has not announced two seating, fixed table, dining in Compass Rose on any of its future cruises ...............

and am still unsure as to why you raised the question.

BTW, what is the Regent Rodeo? 

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

Why did I raise the question? I shall answer. First, I m not wishing to be unkind, in any way, shape, or form. I read and post on this board at this time to try to learn of what a future cruise on Regent would be like. There are a couple of posts above where the members spoke of early reservations and did not mention that those were for specialty restaurants. Had they done so, I would never have asked my question. Thus my question. And my reason for asking is that we will not take any cruise where we have to choose between "early or late seating" in the MDR for the entire cruise. and are assigned a table there for the entire cruise. At least not at Regent's pricing. One interpretation of a couple of posts above would be that Regent is moving toward just that -- and another interpretation is that they are not. As I couldn't tell, I asked my question. 

Of course, there is no "Regent Rodeo" But here in rural SW Colorado, we have a saying when somebody tells us something we already know. The saying is "I've been to that Rodeo before"  After approximately 20 Regent cruises, I know that one must make reservations for specialty restaurants. So  I used a bit of that saying in response.

But I did get some valuable responses to my question. They were that "nobody really knows" how  Regent will handle the MDR post-pandemic. It is important information to us, because it is our policy not to put any money down on anything unless we know rather well what we are getting. In other words, we don't want to buy "a pig in the polk", which is another Western saying.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 3

If the crew and officers onboard can’t enforce a “Don’t hog a lounge chair” policy I don’t have confidence they will be able to control any new protocols regarding the virus. They can put up all the signage regarding social distancing, etc. People will do what they want. Being on a ship with 700 passengers and crew is a disaster waiting to happen.

YOU may be willing to adhere to certain health requirements but don’t expect your fellow passengers to adhere. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

flossie, you did indeed say “specialty restaurants” and I missed it — which we in our late 70s tend to do. But  as per my post above, I did get some useful answers about the MDR anyway. Those were “nobody knows”.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Thanks 1

--"Being on a ship with 700 passengers and crew is a disaster waiting to happen.  "'

That is why it is "imperative' not to have a "full' capacity, and reduce the number considerably, in the near future crusing

What has or has not been done in the past in not an indicator for the future in this case.  I’m sure that we can all agree that there has never been a situation like this in our lifetimes.  This is not only serious -  it is life or death serious!

It is imperative that Regent has every passenger acknowledge in writing that they have not only read the mandatory protocols but understand the consequences of non-compliance (being taken off of the ship at the next port or required to stay in your suite).   

There is way too much at risk for Regent, their crew and passengers to allow anyone to ignore the rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No argument that this is very serious but I see too many examples of people not following the "rules" in society right now and based on some comments on this board, there will be people who don't follow all of the rules on a Regent cruise. It's obviously my opinion but I will be willing to wager a bet that you see several people on the next cruise not following the rules. We will see if Regent has the guts to kick them off the ship, especially if they are frequent customers. I won't be seeing any Regent violators because I won't be cruising anytime soon. 

• Like 2

I am very concerned about the protocols for taking a cruise before a vaccine is developed and readily available. Now, in my community, one must wear a mask in stores and restaurants (unless seated and eating or drinking). And on the sidewalks where crowds do not allow 6’ distancing, one must wear a mask.  We comply with the law, and call out tourists who do not. But will I wear a mask on a cruise any time we are out of our suite? No, but we will not break the rules — we will just not cruise under those rules. Wearing a mask for a short time is fine, and we will obey local law. But for most of the time on a 14 night cruise? No! Again, we will not book and disobey — we will just not go! 

Our main problem is cruise lines, like Regent, are taking people’s money for bookings now. But they aren’t telling us the conditions under which we must cruise. Now we have no respect for those who violate our local laws (and have actually called the police on some). And we have no respect for those who violate cruise line rules IF they are informed of the rules before they pay.  Indeed, I don’t see how a cruise booking is even a valid contract, until these matters are revealed. 

Here’s  an example.  Suppose I offer to sell you a used car for $20K, but won’t tell you the model, year, condition, or mileage. And suppose you actually pay me! And suppose I deliver a rusted out 1960 Ford Falcon that won’t even run. Can you repudiate that contract? You bet you can! 

If Regent would finalize their onboard rules BEFORE trying to sell us cruises, we could analyze the situation and make an informed decision. If we booked, we are agreeing to the rules, and must follow them. But now, it is asking us to book and pay without informing us of the rules and restrictions. That’s just wrong for so many reasons,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of following policies, another question is what medical protocol will be instituted for passengers who become symptomatic with mild symptoms that could be a cold, for example, or mild GI symptoms or early signs of Covid infection?  Suppose staff or other guests notice someone who seems to be coughing or sneezing on occasion?  If someone develops a slight cough or a sore throat is the guest supposed to self-report to someone in the medical department?  Will guests be reluctant to self-report minor symptoms because of the potential protocols that might be enforced.

Under what circumstances would someone be quarantined in a suite?  What kind of testing for Covid will be available?  How quickly will results be available?  And what will happen if someone actually tests positive for Covid-19?  

Seem to me that acceptable protocols will take some time to develop in conjunction with government agencies, likely.  Then I think Regent will have to give adequate notice to passengers before a cruise takes place.  Will be interesting to see what protocols are put in place and what the threshold will be for following them or not.

• Like 1

And, I know many on this board are tired of me posting about this, but we must spend many hours on airlines and in airports to even get to and from any Regent cruise. What sort of distancing do airlines and airports have?  Almost none. The airline lobby has pressured the TSA to take the temperature of all who are to board an airplane. Oh, joy, more lines and crowds in the TSA line. And aboard the plane, it will still be the overcrowded condition as before the pandemic. Most domestic airlines will still fill the damnable “middle seat” if booking requires it, instead of putting additional planes into use. And if the middle seat were required to be eliminated, it would be less than 3’ distancing. That’s no good. And even in domestic first class, the distancing is not the generally accepted 6’. 

So to take a future cruise, we fear both over regulation on board, and under regulation in air travel getting to the ship. Apparently the same governments that have banned Regent from cruising didn’t recognize how much distancing Regent had before the pandemic, and how little the airlines had for those getting to the cruise.  Instead of banning Regent cruises, they should have grounded the airlines, and required them to provide the distancing Regent always had on its ships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cruise the Cs,

Your post above is very spot on. There are more conditions, rules, and regulations we need to know about before we pay any money for a Regent cruise (or any cruise). Your post raises several of the unknowns that must be known before we think about booking — before a vaccine is widely available and we have taken it. As you posted, there are more to the unanswered questions than access to the Compass Rose. Some even more important. 

• Like 1