New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

23 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Can someone explain to me the efficacy of repeatedly checking temperature when returning from shore?  If I am on a boat and beach all day I would think I would be warm; maybe even close to heatstroke if I overdo it.  Why would they take your temperature returning from all shore excursions?  Even if you picked up the virus ashore, it wouldn't manifest itself for some number of days?  If it is just to monitor your temperature, they can install noninvasive temperature readers at entrances to restaurants and catch you multiple times per day.

Just wondering,

Marc

Yes, with modern infrared temperature-taking technology (which is in use around the world I believe), it needn't be burdensome.  Just a matter of course.  If they zap you coming and going, eventually, if you become ill, you will have a fever and then be isolated or otherwise treated.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Can someone explain to me the efficacy of repeatedly checking temperature when returning from shore?  If I am on a boat and beach all day I would think I would be warm; maybe even close to heatstroke if I overdo it.  Why would they take your temperature returning from all shore excursions?  Even if you picked up the virus ashore, it wouldn't manifest itself for some number of days?  If it is just to monitor your temperature, they can install noninvasive temperature readers at entrances to restaurants and catch you multiple times per day.

Just wondering,

Marc

Of course its completely ridiculous, especially since many people are asymptomatic.  Its one of those things that are done to give people a false sense of security. Think TSA

• Like 4

Yes, you can pass along the virus well before having symptoms, such as a temperature or cough.

How soon after I'm infected with the new coronavirus will I start to be contagious?

The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure.

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms.

If true, this strengthens the case for face masks, physical distancing, and contact tracing, all of which can help reduce the risk that someone who is infected but not yet contagious may unknowingly infect others.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus

• Like 1

If you click on "Travel Health Advisory June 1, 2020" on Regent website and then click on "CLIA Coronavirus FAQs" you will be in for quite a surprise.  I wonder how Regent and CLIA can live with such shoddy work.

Just my two cents plain,

Marc

7 hours ago, fizzy said:

I would imagine we should feel safe. Somewhere way back,  didn't Del Rio say something to the effect that he wouldn't send his ships out until he could tell his grand kids that it was safe to sail?

That was not the best choice of examples on his part.  It will be "safe" for his grandkids before it is "safe" for the typical Regent demographic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

That was not the best choice of examples on his part.  It will be "safe" for his grandkids before it is "safe" for the typical Regent demographic.

I'd be more impressed if he said he'd have family members, especially older family members, on every one of the sailings for the first year or so.  Especially if they were in crew living and dining quarters. To me, that's putting my money where my mouth is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I'd be more impressed if he said he'd have family members, especially older family members, on every one of the sailings for the first year or so.  Especially if they were in crew living and dining quarters. To me, that's putting my money where my mouth is.

That would take a really big family, for Regent, Oceana, and NCL!

Not exactly sure which thread to post this on so I'll just use this one.  While all of you are discussing "what if's", I participated in a webinar (seminar online) with Arnold Donald (CEO of Carnival which, of course, includes Seabourn, Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Carnival and others) and the Points Guy, Nick Ewen (also Brian Kelly - not sure of his position)..  

Many of the same issues that are being discussed here were put forth as questions to Mr. Donald.  Not surprisingly, many of the responses were the same as we have heard before.

No - they do not know when cruising will resume.

They do not want to cancel cruises too far out.

He is in daily contact with ports arounds the world to get up to date information on which ports/countries might open to cruise lines and when.

He does not know if masks and distancing will be required.  If cruising is resumed soon, it is likely that these protocols will be in place.  

He apologized for how long it was taking to do refunds.  They have never seen the amount of refunds that had to be processed.  In the case of Carnival, there are different systems set up for each cruise line.  The bottom line is that he acknowledges and apologizes (and stressed the apology) for how long it has taken to refund money.

He does not see "bargains" happening once cruising resumes.  Rather, he expects higher demand initially.

He does see some ships being taken out of commission (scraped rather than sold).  

The likelihood of transmission of the virus through the air conditioning systems is very low.

During one online poll (held during the session), the #1 concern was cruise lines going out of business.

Another poll indicated that cleanliness and the heath of people on the ship rate the highest.

I'll have a transcript of the webinar and will share anything that I've forgotten or feel is relevant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

That would take a really big family, for Regent, Oceana, and NCL!

True!  Although with cousins and in-laws, they might just be able to do it!  More seriously, I do wonder which executives may be on the first sailings, if any.  I can see the argument that the C-suite folks should be on land where, if anything goes sour,  they might be in the best position to deal quickly and efficiently with any decisions to be made. 

Then again, it might say a lot to passengers, and crew, from a morale and leadership stand to have key folks visible on the ships, at least at the beginning, sharing the same experiences. 

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Jason has already said he will be onboard to greet the first returning guests.  Of course, I don't remember if he said he was going to still be onboard when the ship sails.

Marc

It is a little bit of a no win situation.  Won't look great if he's scurrying away from the ship as it embarks to a lot of people, but truly it might be better for key execs to be available 24/7 where fast communications are never at risk. 

17 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

And yes, Regents’ inclusion of only basic economy air for North American legs in its “free air” inclusion is contrary to  the type of guests Regent wishes to attract. I have yet to hear from a moderator or forum administrator ordering me to cease mention of  Regent’s included air in North America, so I will continue to do so. It isn’t worth a hoot, and we won’t use it.

Oh I didn't realize the only problem was with Regent Air. Thought it was an airline problem. Simple solution. Take the air credit from Regent and book your own First\Business class. Problem solved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBWIR said:

Oh I didn't realize the only problem was with Regent Air. Thought it was an airline problem. Simple solution. Take the air credit from Regent and book your own First\Business class. Problem solved.

Excellent idea. Or upgrade to First Class with Regent...I've never seen a cruise where that was not an available option.

Most of the time the credit id pretty good.  That is what we do, then when ever possible book with miles.  With the credit spending (when you charge a cruise that's a lot of mile-we get 3 miles for every travel dollar).  We watch for good first class fares from the airline.  Once we know we will be cruising we book the air.  Haven't had a problem doing this.

The news today from NZ is very relevant . There are 2 new cases after 24 days covid free. Both are Brits who were given special compensation to travel to NZ for a dying parent. They came in via Doha and Brisbane to Auckland, where they were self isolated in a hotel for 7 days , then Travelex by car to Wellington, saw parent who subsequently died. Now tested positive. The moral being that we are a long way off covid free and despite care and isolation it is still popping up, NZ has such a good record on lockdown etc unlike UK and USA where we are miles behind.

• Like 1

As we open up businesses in Texas, the number of positive cases, hospital bed utilization and ventilator utilization are all going up. We are setting records for cases almost every day. Some restaurants and bars are closing voluntarily. COVID is not through with the world as we see a new city outbreak in China. I agree with GrJ Berkshire. The data is certainly showing that this is far from over. The risk level increases dramatically anytime groups of people get together. I can't see the end of the tunnel anytime soon. Sorry to be a downer but the cruise and airlines industries have tremendous challenges ahead of them that aren't easily solved. 

• Like 2

In reply to pappy1022 and GrJBerkshire I would like to say that here on Guernsey we have had no new cases for 47 days and as from this Saturday we are all able to return to ‘normal’. That means all shops, bars and restaurants open with no need for social distancing. However, travel is restricted to within the Bailiwick and those who do go to the UK must self isolate on return for 14 days. One person who broke this rule was fined £6000!

So the price that we pay for our new found ‘freedom’ is no cruises for the immediate future 😢

1 minute ago, Guerncruising said:

In reply to pappy1022 and GrJBerkshire I would like to say that here on Guernsey we have had no new cases for 47 days and as from this Saturday we are all able to return to ‘normal’. That means all shops, bars and restaurants open with no need for social distancing. However, travel is restricted to within the Bailiwick and those who do go to the UK must self isolate on return for 14 days. One person who broke this rule was fined £6000!

So the price that we pay for our new found ‘freedom’ is no cruises for the immediate future 😢

You could add to no cruises: no travel, especially international travel .

Hard to see how airlines who are 'ramping up ' schedules now can be seen to be anything else than irresponsible!!

GrJ, indeed. Our own airline Aurigny is currently operating only 2 flights per day, Monday to Friday. One to Alderney and the other to Southampton, the later being mainly for medical flights to the hospital there. 

Interestingly enough, of the cases which we did have, the majority came back from ski trips or the Balearics. Sadly the majority of deaths, if not all, in care homes. 

Our tourist industry is not going to happen this year and I would think that all cruise ship visits to the island are cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Guerncruising said:

In reply to pappy1022 and GrJBerkshire I would like to say that here on Guernsey we have had no new cases for 47 days and as from this Saturday we are all able to return to ‘normal’. 

With five cases remaining in Jersey, is inter island transfer still limited?

There is no inter island transfer available at the moment, only travel within the Bailiwick of Guernsey. No ferries to the UK and only those flights as described. It’s all eerily quiet without the sound of planes and ships horns. 

My business partner told me he and his wife recently asked her mother's opinion about whether the grandkids should stop visiting grandma, in light of hazards of Covid infection.  Grandma (who is up there in years, but still a smart and tough old cookie) said: "I'd rather have six months of seeing them occasionally than 10 years without."  I suspect some of our opinions on whether or not to clamber back on a ship run along similar lines - better to have a few wonderful trips than a long slog to the grave with no Covid but also no new wonderful travel experiences and memories.  

My DW and I are die-hard mask wearers, (anti)social distancers, we are following ALL the guidance.  We dearly want to have not only wonderful experiences (more cruises and travel) but also lots more years for same.  But I understand to some degree the "damn the torpedoes" sentiment of some folks on and off these boards, particularly those who already have some diagnosis that they know will likely be what takes them out. 

When in late February it became clear what was coming down the pike (a pandemic), I took time to revisit AIDS (HIV) history.  May I recommend it to you.  There is still no HIV vaccine, and perhaps never will be, and that's not for lack of trying.  The same may be the case with Covid.  I hope and pray there will be a successful vaccine, although I will take any announcement of an effective vaccine between now and November 3, 2020 with several grains of salt. A truly effective vaccine is everybody's first choice, and would make things easier and simpler, the world over.  But, like with HIV, we may not have that luxury.  Like with AIDS, it may be that effective treatments are devised that are applied AFTER you are infected, and that render the disease manageable, and not a possible death sentence.  Nonetheless, I'm rooting for the science team in a big way.  I remember getting called out of class (3rd grade?), marched to the gym and getting a polio shot.  I'm not sure if they even ASKED your parents.  Every summer parents lived in fear of their kids getting that terrible affliction.  It will be a happy day if we live to see the same thing happen with Covid, and I hope I can manage to buy some cruise line stock a few days before the announcement!!  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

hope and pray there will be a successful vaccine, although I will take any announcement of an effective vaccine between now and November 3, 2020 with several grains of salt. A truly effective vaccine is everybody's first choice, and would make things easier and simpler, the world over.  

Why?  If Moderna or Astra-Zeneca or J&J or any of the other of the seven (IIRC) vaccines in Phase II trials complete Phase III trials by that date why should you be concerned?  Do yo think their should be challenge trials wherein the volunteers or purposely exposed to the virus to see if vaccine works?

Marc

Kudos to Regent, they have addressed one of my pet peeves.

Reading "New Enhanced Health & Safety Protocols" in one of the new brochures I received, the last sentence was fantastic; it said:

"Complimentary consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses . . .".

On the penultimate night of our 63 night cruise in 2017, my wife came down with food poisoning and ended up with $2K+ doctor's bill.  I went to GM and said that we should not be liable for that bill as this was ship caused.  He rejected the claim saying no one else got sick.  Poor excuse in my book as we had a special dessert that night that no one else on ship ate.

Fast forward two months and we are on Mariner; Code Red.  All consultations and treatments for stomach issues are complimentary.  Why then and not when we were onboard two months earlier?  Obviously, they were trying to get everyone to self report so they made it free.  Same with this new policy on respiratory illnesses.  If Regent really wants to hit a home run they should have the same policy for stomach illnesses.

Still, I would like to send an attaboy to Regent for coming out with this new policy.  

Marc

PS I read entire protocol and no mention of masks!  😊

25 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Reading "New Enhanced Health & Safety Protocols" in one of the new brochures I received, the last sentence was fantastic; it said:

"Complimentary consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses . . .".

Would not be surprised if this is being required by CDC and will be seen on all cruise lines in order to make sure people report.  In any case it is a nice thing for respiratory illnesses.