What level of infection is acceptable

10 hours ago, time4u2go said:

What do you do with someone that has a high temperature boarding at a port of call?  

They should be tested for coronavirus and if positive sent to hospital and if negative took to their cabin and isolated with another test the next day or 2 and if still negative allowed to cruise as normal but if positive they will be sent to hospital at the next port or isolated in their cabin for the rest of the cruise and if necessary taken to hospital when disembarking.

Cruise companies will need extra medical facilities and staff to safeguard everyone.

11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I get a cough while on board just to be safe Quarantine me in my Aft/Corner Balcony. Free room service, Internet, think minimum of 28 nites just to be sure... All joking aside if not planned yet they should have CV Test available on all Cruises

I agree with the testing.

5 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

No cruising for us until a fully tested COVID-19 vaccine is available for 300 million Americans.

Sorry, but I don't think there is a lot of cruising in your foreseeable future.....or ever.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

They should be tested for coronavirus and if positive sent to hospital and if negative took to their cabin and isolated with another test the next day or 2 and if still negative allowed to cruise as normal but if positive they will be sent to hospital at the next port or isolated in their cabin for the rest of the cruise and if necessary taken to hospital when disembarking.

Cruise companies will need extra medical facilities and staff to safeguard everyone.

What about ports with little or no hospital facilities (Coco Cay, Labadee)?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Bringing this over - about a fishing trawler with many COVID positive crew.

100% of the crew had been tested before boarding 😞

SEATTLE, WA – (May 31, 2020) American Seafoods Company previously reported that a crew member from the American Dynasty tested positive for COVID-19. As a result, the company decided to test the entire crew and on May 30 an additional 85 crew members were confirmed positive. Results are pending for nine outstanding tests. “The health and safety of our crew, employees, and the communities where we operate is always the top priority for us,” said American Seafoods CEO Mikel Durham. According to Durham, 100% of crew members were screened and tested for COVID-19 antibodies and viral infection before they boarded the vessel. Pre-season tests were conducted through the University of Washington. Only those who tested negative for the virus were cleared to board the vessel.

https://www.americanseafoods.com/media/1690/release-5312020-american-seafoods-reports-additional-positive-covid-19-tests-from-crew-members-on-the-american-dynasty.pdf

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/american-seafoods-factory-trawler-returns-to-seattle-after-85-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19/

And this is how it works, right?  Someone could test negative one day and positive the next day?  My son-in-law came into contact with someone on a job who tested positive almost 2 weeks after my SIL came into contact with him.  No way to know if he was positive when my SIL was with him, or at some other point during the 2 week time before the positive test.

This is such a quick-spreading virus - unless you've been completely isolated from other human beings, I wonder if a good number of us haven't been exposed already.  I couldn't get even a cloth mask until mid-April but had to go to the grocery store once a week to get food for my family (back in the days when they were telling us not to wear a mask).  Many times the stores were crowded with other un-masked people doing the same thing.  My state is on "Phase 2" - restaurants, wine bars & breweries  are open with tables spread out and limited capacity but in the outside gathering areas of the places (which are heavily used in my city), there are crowds of people with no masks and no social distancing.  Certainly the protests this week will also add to the spread.

To answer the original question, it would have to be 0% for me.  It's not so much a fear of exposure as it is a fear of being put off the ship at a distant port or stuck in my cabin for a 14-day ++ quarantine/being denied entry to ports.  I'm going to have to see how cruise lines handle the inevitability of onboard cases before I get confident about cruising again.  It's something we're going to have to live with, in my non-medical expert opinion.  People have to decide for themselves how the "new normal" translates into their daily lives.

17 hours ago, rimmit said:

The issue then becomes the back to back sailors.  That’s what got the grand princess in trouble was the people doing B2B that passed it onto the next group after the previous disembarked.  They may need to eliminate b2b as well.

I've often thought the same thing happens at the breakfast buffets at the hotels around the port.  It appears to me that passengers from previous cruises check in early at the hotels and have breakfast at the hotel buffets where they mix with hotel guests that have stayed the night before the cruise and are getting ready to get on the ship.  Everyone is crowded together waiting in lines, reaching into the silverware container and no one cleans the tables between guests.  No thanks, I'll stop and get a bagel somewhere and eat breakfast in my room.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

They don't even "send people to a hospital" for positive tests on land, unless symptoms warrant it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

What about ports with little or no hospital facilities (Coco Cay, Labadee)?

Our cruises are in Europe so no problem but it will be difficult in the Caribbean.

Maybe the ships need a bigger medical centre with an ICU unit.

23 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

They don't even "send people to a hospital" for positive tests on land, unless symptoms warrant it.

Just suggestions.

It is up to the ships doctors and captain what measures they take.

9 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

No cruising for us until a fully tested COVID-19 vaccine is available for 300 million Americans.

You understand, of course that a vaccine is a preventative measure, not a cure.  A flu vaccine, for example, only prevents about 44% of the flu cases.  (Note this is an example, not a comparison of the annual flu to COVID19.) And since MOST people contracting COVID 19 have mild or less severe cases many of the 330 million Americans will forgo a vaccine. Only 1/2 the population even got a flu vaccine.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, KsucAts said:

What if we never get to zero?  (I am beginning to believe that is very possible.)

We will never "get to zero"...once a virus is here...it's  here forever.  Most viruses mutate into a less virulent form...after all, they don't want to kill what they need to live.

After all, we "live with Influenza", even tho it kills tens of thousands yearly.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what is acceptable or not, but I will say that the cruise lines are going to have to be extremely careful this summer. If there is another cruise with a COVID outbreak this year the media and anti-cruise crowd will be all over it 24/7. 

12 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

You may get an effective vaccine for 300 million people but that doesn't mean they'll 300 million people will take advantage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big_G said:

You may get an effective vaccine for 300 million people but that doesn't mean they'll 300 million people will take advantage.

But as long as the vaccine protects me, I really don't care if stupid people who won't be vaccinated get sick. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I have a friend who won't take it.  It will be her problem, not mine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sad to think but possible may never have a Vaccine, or one that's even that effective. Let alone try and get all American's Vaccinated. Poll couple weeks ago only half said they'd even take the new shot.

And if you have a weakened immune system to begin with, some say it's best not to take a vaccine or flu shot.

NJ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mek said:

But as long as the vaccine protects me, I really don't care if stupid people who won't be vaccinated get sick. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I have a friend who won't take it.  It will be her problem, not mine.

Well said.

D9866A1E-2A52-4D2A-8A06-7F0166C4FF84.jpeg.db494ede9083b080572e573e5da00e53.jpeg

2 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

And if you have a weakened immune system to begin with, some say it's best not to take a vaccine or flu shot.

NJ 

So it's better to risk catching  a possible lethal virus than get a vaccine?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

NJ 

I would think that those people with weakened immune systems should be the first to get the COVID-19 vaccine and the flu shot.