People watching....

James4me

9 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I like wearing Lily Pulitzer when I cruise.  My teenage daughters tease me a bit but they know that makes me happy.  Maybe wearing Forever 21 makes that person happy.

This is the right attitude.   My sister (my cruise mate) tells of once overhearing a mother say to a child who had commented on someone's  unconventional appearance, "She likes the way it looks."     My sister and I enjoy people-watching on cruises, especially on elegant night.  We love the wide interpretation of "elegant."   When we see something that strikes us as far-out, inappropriate, unattractive, or unsuitable, we look at each other and say, "She/he likes the way it looks."    

I am of an age when I "shouldn't" still wear 1960's style long, straight hair.  But . . .  I like the way it looks.   😀

• Like 3

On 6/9/2020 at 5:35 PM, pc_load_letter said:

A few years ago we had friends join us on a cruise, their first. We now cruise together once a year. My friend has joined the people watching club with us. We all love the pool deck. Arrive at 7 am and stay till dinner. Doesn't matter what the weather is. We laugh all day. angelsfort posted the best comments!

LOL thanks!

I've got some more for you...

...  watching the teenage girls talking NON-STOP over each other and not even noticing that nobody is listening

...the little ones trying to get mommy or daddies attention to "watch me!" while they do something like raise a foot off the ground or spin in a circle while holding one arm up

... seeing the pre-teens notice each other and try to get each others attention while trying not to make it obvious that they are trying to get the others attention (I've got a teenaged daughter and I have seen this a LOT while we're out  LOL)

...also the pre-teens that have never had any freedom before and suddenly they've been given some while on the boat, and they're going crazy with it (usually when I cruise it's just my daughter and I, so we get placed at a table with similar families - a few cruises back, we had a girl that was my daughters age (11-12) who was the sweetest most wonderful kid at dinner with her grandmother - but we'd see her later out on the lido deck hanging out with all the boys from the teen club, shirt has been pulled down off her shoulder and tied at the waist so her mid-section is showing...  flirting with ALL of them.  One night we saw them trying to sneak a drink that was left on a table... YIKES!  The next night, back to conservative dress and sweet as pie for grandma.  The grandma would brag about how wonderful her granddaughter was and how well behaved and how she didn't get into any trouble, etc.  

...watching the older gentlemen actually treating their wives like princesses.  Opening doors for them, pulling out their chairs, etc.

...sitting by the ice cream machine and watching some of the "creations" that the kids make

one of my favorites, is to sit by the kiddie section and watching the pure joy of the kids just by getting splashed with a little bit of water - it's amazing how something so simple can make them so very happy!  (we've actually got a pup that is like this too...  we turn on the hose in the backyard and she gets ecstatic!!  Barking and jumping at the water, biting it and running through it...  it's her absolute favorite thing  LOL)

watching the guys strutting around on the lido deck with their shirts off and chest puffed out, thinking they're hot stuff...  and not a soul is even looking at them - (except me, apparently LOL) but they keep strutting as if they are on stage!

seeing people find the hidden ducks all around the ship!  (we hide one and then hang out in the area to see who finds it - and also to make sure that a crew member doesn't mistake it for trash and toss it!)   This might be a "wait for a while" activity right now though - people may be afraid to touch/pick up a random duck

and as someone mentioned previously, trying to figure out the relationship between the older male and the very much younger female...  are they father/daughter or is it something else? No judgement!  Just curiosity!  (my dad and I do a lot of things together and we've been mistaken for a couple before, it's actually hysterical watching the people who assume we are "dating" - the disapproving looks, etc.  They don't ask - they just immediately judge.  It's very funny!)

12 hours ago, angelsfort said:

watching the pure joy of the kids just by getting splashed with a little bit of water - it's amazing how something so simple can make them so very happy

We limit our happiness as adults.   I had this epiphany at Walmart watching a 5 year old proudly wearing a homemade pirate hat.  He was so happy with it.  And it occurred to me that if wearing a homemade pirate hat would make ME happy I wouldn't do it because of what people would think.  Which means that I have chosen not to walk a path that leads to happiness, for no real reason.

That's what I think when I see people dressed oddly....there's a person not afraid to be happy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

We limit our happiness as adults.   I had this epiphany at Walmart watching a 5 year old proudly wearing a homemade pirate hat.  He was so happy with it.  And it occurred to me that if wearing a homemade pirate hat would make ME happy I wouldn't do it because of what people would think.  Which means that I have chosen not to walk a path that leads to happiness, for no real reason.

That's what I think when I see people dressed oddly....there's a person not afraid to be happy.

^^^^^ This! Well put Chief93...well put. I couldn't agree more. 👍

When, in civilian life, we dress seeking other's approval, we lose some of our self identity. ie: just be yourself...not what you think others would like to see in you . That's called honesty.

• Like 1

I didn't see this question until now, and see that MANY people have responded! I am one of those people, and have told people several times, I LOVE to watch people!  I can be at the airport, hospital, sitting in my vehicle, or on a bench, etc. Nothing in particular I am looking for, but sometimes a person can pick up on different conversations, arguments, seeing how people "dress", some couples look like Mutt & Jeff (tall/short).  To me it just passes the time away when I'm having to wait on something to happen, or go some place.

a 7 day cruise is much like a captivated sociological study in people watching and human behavior...it's very interesting to watch the difference between a "regular "cruise and a full charter private theme cruise..on a "regular" cruise of 3000 one can find 1500"backstories" on why they are sailing with you and starting in the passenger waiting area  there is no common bond to cause interaction with each other unless you are wearing a common external link (i.e sports jersey from the same city, state or college )..i.e the fun of "people watching"  is trying to guess or project a story line..the more unusual the observation, the better the story line 

on a full charter theme cruise , 3000 fellow passengers start of with a common bond ( theme ) for being onboard and there is a quick bonding process starting in the passenger waiting area and more than likely because of the high % of returning guests, there is less guessing in the people watching department and more towards gaining a yearly update 

what;s real interesting is being an American and in the distinct  minority when cruising outside of North America on a Cruise Line where English is not the 1st language ..takes people watching to a whole new level and you might become the object of fellow cruisers watching you and not understanding the norms and culture 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, James4me said:

What are your thoughts when you see a woman in her 60’s, not in bad shape at all and she obviously wears clothes from like Forever 21?  I know that’s where the outfit comes from as my Niece wore one like it.  Do you think it’s a bit to young of a 60 year old to wear such clothing?  

It's not what you wear, but how you wear it.

I'm 71...and I can pull off a "Forever 21" outfit a lot better than many of the 21 year olds I've seen on Carnival.

ETA....I'm talking about t-shirt...leggings kind of things.  I don't wear short skirts of puffy sleeves...or "young people prints".  When I see someone my age in those kind of outfits I want to tell them that "older people trying to look young...just makes you look even older".

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hattack said:

a 7 day cruise is much like a captivated sociological study in people watching and human behavior...it's very interesting to watch the difference between a "regular "cruise and a full charter private theme cruise..on a "regular" cruise of 3000 one can find 1500"backstories" on why they are sailing with you and starting in the passenger waiting area  there is no common bond to cause interaction with each other unless you are wearing a common external link (i.e sports jersey from the same city, state or college )..i.e the fun of "people watching"  is trying to guess or project a story line..the more unusual the observation, the better the story line 

on a full charter theme cruise , 3000 fellow passengers start of with a common bond ( theme ) for being onboard and there is a quick bonding process starting in the passenger waiting area and more than likely because of the high % of returning guests, there is less guessing in the people watching department and more towards gaining a yearly update 

what;s real interesting is being an American and in the distinct  minority when cruising outside of North America on a Cruise Line where English is not the 1st language ..takes people watching to a whole new level and you might become the object of fellow cruisers watching you and not understanding the norms and culture 

Some of the best people watching I've ever done was in the city of New Orleans.

I once saw a lady wearing twinkle lights in her hair on elegant night.  I made no judgement about it, but just wondered how it was powered, ie, usually you have to have lights plugged into something.  She had a very shimmery dress on as well.  Again no judgement.  I thought that she was just enjoying the dress up evening to the fullest.  Yes, she got a lot of attention, and looks, mostly positive ones and smiles.  I on the other hand would look rather dull on elegant night, while I adhere to the rules of dress, I will almost always just blend in to the background LOL.  We are all different, but can appreciate each others differences.

I agree about New Orleans and people watching which is deep in tradition  and strange customs and very enjoyable ..I would always suggest one hangs out with a local that can give you the backstory of why and what you are watching 

I would raise the  stakes of the poker pot..back when  I first started cruising in 1975 ,guests were assigned a specific table , I was always fascinated by fellow nosy  table guests that were trying to  go beyond the normal customary meet and greet and dig deeper to find out how we could afford to cruise and stay in a high end cabin,  since to them we were not suppose to be in the same space as they ......when my "radar: went up after a few encounters , I would make up an incredible story with just a "tinge" of a thread of truth , that almost always resulted in finding when we arrived at our table the following evening , we had new table mates...thank God the Cruise lines did away with assigned tables for the entire cruise 

the 180 degree opposite of that experience was when we took a River Cruise to the South of France on a German River Cruise Line with only 8 Americans onboard..when our fellow guests found out we were from New Orleans we were welcome with open arms and virtually everyone wanted to practice their English with us and I was excited because I could practice my basic German that I had taken the time to learn prior to leaving for Europe 

on our Jazz Cruise charters, many Jazz Fans onboard are from all around the world so not only can we people watch , we can engage in dialogue using the common language of Jazz and learn so much ..we made friends from Jazz fans from South Africa and Japan that are die hard Louis Armstrong fans and lagniappe Country Music star Charlie Pride fans

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, Chief93 said:

so very true!!    I wish I was less afraid to be happy!!

On 6/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, SMSACE6 said:

I once saw a lady wearing twinkle lights in her hair on elegant night.  I made no judgement about it, but just wondered how it was powered, ie, usually you have to have lights plugged into something.  She had a very shimmery dress on as well.  Again no judgement.  I thought that she was just enjoying the dress up evening to the fullest.  Yes, she got a lot of attention, and looks, mostly positive ones and smiles.  I on the other hand would look rather dull on elegant night, while I adhere to the rules of dress, I will almost always just blend in to the background LOL.  We are all different, but can appreciate each others differences.

I think I will bring my twinkle lights on our next cruise and see if I can gather the nerve to wear them in my hair!  I love this.  (or maybe find a way to incorporate them throughout my skirt (it's a lacy outer later with a satin inner layer...  I think it'd work!)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

so very true!!    I wish I was less afraid to be happy!!

I think I will bring my twinkle lights on our next cruise and see if I can gather the nerve to wear them in my hair!  I love this.  (or maybe find a way to incorporate them throughout my skirt (it's a lacy outer later with a satin inner layer...  I think it'd work!)

A song just now popped into my mind, describing the people who wear what they want to wear, and people be damned if they don't like it.  It's an old Frank Sinatra song called "I've got to be meeeeeee....I've got to be meeeee..." Anyone old enough to remember that besides myself & gl ? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Sammy Davis Jr is the one that is associated with " I Got To Be Me,"  probably  after Frank Sinatra banished him from the Rat Pack shortly after he married  May Britt 

I actually saw him perform it live at Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) in August of 1969 for my 18th birthday 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hattack said:

Sammy Davis Jr is the one that is associated with " I Got To Be Me,"  probably  after Frank Sinatra banished him from the Rat Pack shortly after he married  May Britt 

I actually saw him perform it live at Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) in August of 1969 for my 18th birthday 

Ahhhh, you are correct! Thanks for saying that. I claim a 'senior moment'. 

of course Sammy Davis Jr sang "The Candy Man Can " , and I use the "Senior Moment' excuse all the time to forget that "evergreen" ...lol ( we seniors have to bond together at times like these ) 

you know we could start a new thread linking  Cruise People Watching Behaviors to popular songs of all eras linked to Episodes of the Love Boat (TV Myth vs Reality ) 

there was a popular song "I'm A Girl Watcher, Watching Girls Go Bye, My O My " which could be very applicable  (but not PC ) on the lido deck on a full day at sea when tempered to what one sees when watching  Love Boat reruns as compared to today's mega ship 

come to think about it..with many of the threads on these boards speculating about Post CV 19 changes to Cruises, we might binge watch reruns on the Love Boat this weekend to look for suggestions 

you know it will take me the rest of the day to get I Got To Be Me out of my Shelter in Place memory tape...thanks

we all badly need to go on a cruise purely for therapy but I am thinking realistically it won't happen till next Fall 2021   for me so I have tempered my aspirations ..the 1st wave off brave souls will be more focus on CV 19 repercussions as opposed to just flat out enjoying the experience ..pretty certain the CDC will be doing extensive contact follow up post cruise feedback Health surveys , but by Fall of 2021 it will hopefully all calm down so we can return to what's really important which is......

People Watching with an enrich sense of mission and awareness of those fellow guest around each of us marching up the gang plank to the tune of  "Too Close for Comfort" by Sammy Davis Jr 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hattack said:

Here's the cover for " I've Gotta Be Me. "  maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

IMHO, the greatest live all around performer of all time...he could sing, dance, act, do impressions ,author, Civil Rights Activist , Broadway performer , movies , hung out with Frank and his Rat Pack 

His act would be perfect for an Artist in Residence for a 1 week Cruise 

great album cover, thanks for posting