Alaska in October?

H8mundays

A friend wants to do a cruise out of Seattle to Alaska in October of 2021.  Has anyone does an Alaskan cruise in October? Trying to figure out what the weather would be like and if most excursions would be available.  I didn't think they cruised in October but she said it is on their website.  Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Although there may be some good deals, October is probably the worst month to cruise Alaska. The weather is cold with increased chance of rain.  Most of the humpbacks have migrated south.  Most vendors will not be open.  Its dark, compared to June there are about 10 fewer hours of daylight. There can also be an increased chance for rough seas as you travel to the west of Vancouver Island, both directions.

If this was the only opportunity to do Alaska, I’d still do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

There are still cruises in Alaska in October? I thought they ended in early September.

I wouldn't do it. Too much stuff will be closed by then, weather might keep the ship from getting everywhere, etc.

I was surprised too. NCL has trips through the 3rd week of October.

October weather is likely to be cool to cold with significant rain and not much chance of sun.  The average daytime high (per Accuweather) in Skagway is 48 degrees.  You are farther north so shorter days and longer nights.  Seas may be rough if your itinerary includes cruising the outside western shore of Vancouver Island.

I never thought I would say this but it has been in the 90's all week. Alaska in October sounds dreamy. 

In all actuality - I prefer May in Alaska due to being a dry month, historically.

You'll be very limited in excursions that late in the year, especially as only NCL (at the moment, anyway) has plans for October sailings. The White Pass railroad in Skagway will probably schedule runs for cruise passengers, and the lumberjack show in Ketchikan will be available on October dates when the NCL ships visit (per the 2021 schedule on their website).

I'd be tempted to book a cheap last-minute Bliss or Encore October sailing to Alaska, but only because (1) both ships have the thermal spa, (2) I've been to Alaska before, and (3) Seattle's Pier 66 is about a 1/2 hour drive from home. Otherwise, no.

Edited by coastcat

3 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

I live in the middle of southeast and we are never surprised to receive 25% of our annual rainfall in October. Let's see, 25% of 110 inches equals wet.

I think it would be difficult to find a wide choice of available excursions.

It would be even harder this year as many of the excursion vendors probably will not open at all.  If they are closed during the summer, the certainly will not open just for the fall season.

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

It would be even harder this year as many of the excursion vendors probably will not open at all.  If they are closed during the summer, the certainly will not open just for the fall season.

DON

Yeah, that’s likely true but irrelevant to the question.  OP asked about October, 2021 and there won’t be any cruises to Alaska this year in any event due to closure of Canadian ports until end of October.

6 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yeah, that’s likely true but irrelevant to the question.  OP asked about October, 2021 and there won’t be any cruises to Alaska this year in any event due to closure of Canadian ports until end of October.

I missed that.  Sorry,  

DON

It has been discussed here many times cruise lines (most notably NCL, from my reading,) sail into the first few days or week of October. As mentioned,  the weather can become a detriment. That can happen even in later September.  These cruises are cheaper for a reason. 

It'll be fine!
In 2017, I did a 10-night that started September 23rd and ended October 3rd.

It was misty/rainy in Ketchikan September 25th (used a poncho and wore water-treated shoes) and was chilly in Icy Strait Point September 29th (we wore layers and jackets and were fine).  The rest of the time, it was great weather.

We rented a car and did the drive from Skagway to Whitehorse September 27th and were thrilled to see fall colors!
Trust me, the tour operators will stay open if they know there's a ship coming in :-}
Another plus of being on one of the last cruises are the sales...brought home hoodies and fleece jackets for my family that were incredible buys!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're booked on one of the October cruises to Alaska. We got a balcony room with pre paid gratuities, 4 free offers, including dining, drink ,wifi  and shore excursion credit, in addition to double Latitude points for around $3600. We look forward to the cool weather since we live in the Southeast. I also anticipate seeing more land based, animal activity. We did the Inside Passage last year in early June and enjoyed it. Saw lots of whales so if we miss those, that's o.k. We hit all the same ports except one, Victoria. I have a companion fare on Alaska airlines to take advantage of traveling to and from Seattle, and enough points for a free hotel room with Hilton, for pre-cruise Seattle stay. I think we'll enjoy it, no matter what is in store for us. 

If you want to do AK late in the season, it is better in January to March.  Your odds of seeing aurora are much better.  Even better if you go to Fairbanks and then head north.  I did 10 days in Fairbanks in late February and had intense aurora every day.  The only slight problem was that it was colder than hell.

DON

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If you want to do AK late in the season, it is better in January to March.  Your odds of seeing aurora are much better.  Even better if you go to Fairbanks and then head north.  I did 10 days in Fairbanks in late February and had intense aurora every day.  The only slight problem was that it was colder than hell.

DON

Cruise?  January-March?  Don't think this is a helpful response.

18 minutes ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Cruise?  January-March?  Don't think this is a helpful response.

It is a “helpful “ response since An Alaska Cruise in October is going to be far from ideal.   Several tours won’t be running, lack of daylight and greater potential for foul weather.    Visitors in these timeframes can have aurora interests.   I happen to find March ideal as well  But it isn’t for cruisers-  you need to be a lot further north.   

No clue what they’re expecting with “land animals “. But overall they are making wrong assumptions-  if just on the inside passage.   

11 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

It is a “helpful “ response since An Alaska Cruise in October is going to be far from ideal.   Several tours won’t be running, lack of daylight and greater potential for foul weather.    Visitors in these timeframes can have aurora interests.   I happen to find March ideal as well  But it isn’t for cruisers-  you need to be a lot further north.   

No clue what they’re expecting with “land animals “. But overall they are making wrong assumptions-  if just on the inside passage.   

If I may...I say horse hockey.  I cruised into October and it was fine.
I'm cruising in April in 2021 (covid permitting) and have found it amazing how many tour operators are quick to "open" for a date when they learned a ship would port.
Besides that, the OP asked about cruising in October -- so there's that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

If I may...I say horse hockey.  I cruised into October and it was fine.
I'm cruising in April in 2021 (covid permitting) and have found it amazing how many tour operators are quick to "open" for a date when they learned a ship would port.
Besides that, the OP asked about cruising in October -- so there's that.

No disrespect intended, but the OP was asking about October...you sailed 3 days into October. Your weather was relatively good...but that was ONE time...one point doesn't make a line, or even a trend.

There have been several recent Septembers where heavy weather came up in the later parts of September, such that ports were closed and ships actually sustained damage.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No disrespect intended, but the OP was asking about October...you sailed 3 days into October. Your weather was relatively good...but that was ONE time...one point doesn't make a line, or even a trend.

There have been several recent Septembers where heavy weather came up in the later parts of September, such that ports were closed and ships actually sustained damage.

It's true, CruiserBruce, that the OP was asking about October and about cruising...and my response only began to address that the January-March suggestion was not helpful.  And, further, to say horse hockey on the "far from ideal" comment -- as there's no way to know.
Cruises are continuing further into the month...almost to month's end.  And my one time into October doesn't make a trend (though I don't think I suggested it did).  That said, I've heard that weather -- at any time -- in Alaska is a crap shoot....just haven't been unlucky enough to live it in the 40+ days I've been there.
Any time you go to Alaska, you should be prepared for cooler temps and rain -- doesn't mean it will happen, just that you can prepare and still have a great time.
Haven't seen those weather/damage reports, but I'll look for them because -- though my next cruise to Alaska is set to start late April -- I'd like to do an October sailing  :-}

5 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

It's true, CruiserBruce, that the OP was asking about October and about cruising...and my response only began to address that the January-March suggestion was not helpful.  And, further, to say horse hockey on the "far from ideal" comment -- as there's no way to know.
Cruises are continuing further into the month...almost to month's end.  And my one time into October doesn't make a trend (though I don't think I suggested it did).  That said, I've heard that weather -- at any time -- in Alaska is a crap shoot....just haven't been unlucky enough to live it in the 40+ days I've been there.
Any time you go to Alaska, you should be prepared for cooler temps and rain -- doesn't mean it will happen, just that you can prepare and still have a great time.
Haven't seen those weather/damage reports, but I'll look for them because -- though my next cruise to Alaska is set to start late April -- I'd like to do an October sailing  :-}

For some priorities,   October is far from ideal.   🙂     As Bruce mentions-   it's about trends,  and there are multiple posters on this board who have valid input. 

I also will mention-  no disrespect-  but, your claims aren't multiple first hand,  over multiple years,  to scold,  other points of view.    I actually sailed,  6 weeks in Alaska-   last year,  and spend at least a month there every year.    (headed there next month)     So just saying.    Others have something to add too.   

My priority is wonderful Alaska visits with good planning for everyone.  

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I was in Denali one time,  on Sept 1 and there was a snow storm.   🙂   I've had horrific weather in September-  6 out of 7 days of rain.     I'm well prepared with no concerns.    September and later-  has more potential for foul weather.   

Everyone has an opinion...you know.  Doesn't mean others have to agree or feel theirs is less important, simply because they don't comment as much.

I tend to be an optimist and that's based on having good fortune (or being prepared?) when I cruise.

Still think it was worth pointing out that the OP was asking about cruising in October.

And it works out well for some, so why discourage others.  Just never know....