Allure not moving to Galveston

Sorry if I missed another thread about this.

A little disappointed because I booked for the ship, but it is what it is.

E-mail received today:

Given the closure of shipyards along with the disruption to the supply chain caused by this pandemic, the amplification of Allure of the Seas, which included renovations and new signature attractions, has been moved to a later date. Currently, Allure is in Cadiz, Spain receiving a routine technical dry dock to ensure she is ready for your cruise. And, due to pier construction delays in the Galveston terminal, the pier will unfortunately not be ready to welcome an Oasis Class ship. As a result, Allure of the Seas will no longer sail from Galveston during Winter 2021 - 2022 and will sail from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, instead.

We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise and apologize for the delay in construction plans. We were excited about it, too. However, the good news is, Liberty of the Seas will take Allure's place in Galveston come Winter 2021 and will set sail on 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries on the exact same days as your original cruise. To make this transition easier, we're automatically moving you to the Liberty of the Seas sailing departing on the same day as your original sailing. Rest assured, you'll be moved to the best available stateroom, your cruise fare amount will either be protected at your original rate or reduced to the current rate (whichever is lower), and all of your amenities will remain the same. For your convenience, your new stateroom number will be xxxx, once our updates are complete.

If you've already paid your reservation in full, and your cruise fare rate decreases, we'll refund you the difference to the original form of payment once the move is complete. You can expect to receive your refund within 45 days.

And although not the original ship planned, we know you'll enjoy the Liberty of the Seas. Our thrill seekers can take the plunge on our dual waterslides - The Perfect Storm, surf the waves on the FlowRider, then show off your skills in our ice-skating rink. If relaxing is number one on your to do list, we also have you covered. Enjoy live music as you sip a cocktail, experience world-class entertainment at live production show, or grab a bite to eat at one of our specialty dining venues. Please see your revised itinerary outlined below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Galveston, Texas

4:00 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Roatan, Honduras

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Thu

Costa Maya, Mexico

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Fri

Cozumel, Mexico

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Galveston, Texas

6:30 AM

While we do hope you choose to stay booked on the Liberty, we understand the impact this change has caused on your vacation. Should you choose not to sail, you are welcome to take advantage of our Cruise with Confidence policy. This provides you with the flexibility to cancel your reservation up to 48 hours prior to departure for sailings that depart before April 30th, 2022 and receive a Future Cruise Credit. To learn more about this program, please visit https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence.

Edited by CategoryQ

Can't wait to enjoy Star Class in the Liberty equivalent to the Aqua Theater 2 bedroom suite I had booked on Allure. 

So glad they are adding Genies to Libery just for this purpose.  Where will the Aqua Theater be placed on Libery?  Will the ATS still have the aft view and a view of the aqua theater?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Stallion said:

The Liberty of the Seas is a great ship-been on her twice-but won't this be about a 6-7 year tenure in Galveston by 2022. Most Texas cruisers probably looking for other options

Freedom stayed in PC a lot longer than that😉

There are only 3 Freedom ships to choose from

We thought the original announcement to transition Allure to Galveston for a while was a hoax...as it made no business sense on several fronts (including air transportation options and also quantity of local hotel rooms).

Perhaps the COVID-19 time has gotten the executives to "rethink" the original plan.  While we empathize with the passengers who planned to cruise Allure out of Galveston that now have to "switch ships", we can't say the pivot to another ship comes as a big surprise either.

6 hours ago, Stallion said:

The Liberty of the Seas is a great ship-been on her twice-but won't this be about a 6-7 year tenure in Galveston by 2022. Most Texas cruisers probably looking for other options

I too am disappointed they couldnt switch out for a newer ship I havent been on.

How would you feel if you only booked allure because you wanted allure because it was coming to texas, rcl took your money, cancelled the ship and said sorry no refunds? Many are in this position. 

There really should be a refund option. I dont care how broke rcl is.

My TA had other plans last night but did get me moved. Maybe like me when he saw middle humps on deck 8 already booked he knew best cabins booking up. I asked about aft facing and since technically a downgrade they gave me a corner aft facing, so kudos to my TA I'm moved, but I think rcl isnt growing trust with this lame offer.

Here is a sample of what I'm reading elsewhere

"Please, if you really want to sail on Allure, help us lobby for that as a choice. We will fly to FL to sail on her. Also, I don’t think they should be forcing a FCC on us, if we want a refund of monies paid. A refund isn’t an option right now."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Same as Brits who miss Indy

Plus I've heard a lot of Texans adore Liberty

And they have plenty of chances to book Liberty.  That doesnt mean they weren't excited about allure. Some only booked for the Allure experience, xmas or nye. It should be their choice to switch or stay booked and go out of florida,  Or get a refund. Frankly I'm disappointed in rcl. Rcl should have more options than switch or get a fcc from cwc. 

I was going to cruise out of Galveston no matter what and have a ta who dropped plans to move me. Not everyone has my TA. 

I think if you arent affected easy to say hey liberty is a great ship., np...

well I'm moved and out of it. I'll.leave it to the others. Good luck to those affected.

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And they have plenty of chances to book Liberty.  That doesnt mean they weren't excited about allure. Some only booked for the Allure experience, xmas or nye. It should be their choice to switch or stay booked and go out of florida,  Or get a refund. Frankly I'm disappointed in rcl. Rcl should have more options than switch or get a fcc from cwc. 

I was going to cruise out of Galveston no matter what and have a ta who dropped plans to move me. Not everyone has my TA. 

I think if you arent affected easy to say hey liberty is a great ship., np...

well I'm moved and out of it. I'll.leave it to the others. Good luck to those affected.

As far as I know, no one has paid for an Allure cruise out of Galveston,  just deposits. 

Its disappointing that Allure isnt coming, but thats just the state of the business right now. Unfortunately many were given false hope by Galveston proponents that indicated Allure could sail with the existing infrastructure, or god forbid,  tents.

Personally, I'm surprised Royal isnt letting folks transfer to Florida,  but I don't run a multi billion dollar corporation.  

My quoted comment was more in line with folks wishing for a different ship because Liberty is outstsaed her welcome. Freedom class is the limit of the existing Terminal. Anthem isnt practical.

Enjoy the aft balcony

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, djh said:

I find it interesting that the three ships that they cancelled the dry docks for (Explorer, Adventure and Liberty) are the three ships that will be in Galveston.

It's the Galveston curse!  Just kidding, no such thing.  

I suppose it bodes well that the intention was there to move amplified ships to Galveston as a show of respect to how they view that market.  If it were not for CV-19 Galveston would have fared very well, but... enter CV-19.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Can't wait to enjoy Star Class in the Liberty equivalent to the Aqua Theater 2 bedroom suite I had booked on Allure. 

So glad they are adding Genies to Libery just for this purpose.  Where will the Aqua Theater be placed on Libery?  Will the ATS still have the aft view and a view of the aqua theater?  

Isn't this the second SC cruise you have had cancelled ?

1 hour ago, djh said:

I find it interesting that the three ships that they cancelled the dry docks for (Explorer, Adventure and Liberty) are the three ships that will be in Galveston.

They cancelled the amplifications ,not the drydocks.  Purely coincidence as there is no way 2-5 years ago when these were planned that we’d be in the situation we are now.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Same as Brits who miss Indy

Plus I've heard a lot of Texans adore Liberty

I still miss when EN and Freedom were here.  

And in my perfect world...Harmony (or any of her sisters) allowed to stay as third ship.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We thought the original announcement to transition Allure to Galveston for a while was a hoax...as it made no business sense on several fronts (including air transportation options and also quantity of local hotel rooms).

Why did you believe it was a hoax? Galveston is a cash cow that greatly benefits from "drive to" cruisers who don't fly, and many who drive on the day of the cruise and don't stay at hotels. 

Look at Carnival for December 2021. 4 ships including one if its newest and largest (Vista), charging more than other gulf coast ports like New Orleans and Mobile. In my opinion, moving Allure to Galveston made complete sense in order to tap into a market that has long been dominated by a competing cruise line. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I still miss when EN and Freedom were here.  

And in my perfect world...Harmony (or any of her sisters) allowed to stay as third ship.  😉 

Good mix

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Why did you believe it was a hoax? Galveston is a cash cow that greatly benefits from "drive to" cruisers who don't fly, and many who drive on the day of the cruise and don't stay at hotels. 

Look at Carnival for December 2021. 4 ships including one if its newest and largest (Vista), charging more than other gulf coast ports like New Orleans and Mobile. In my opinion, moving Allure to Galveston made complete sense in order to tap into a market that has long been dominated by a competing cruise line. 

All gulf based ships seem to sail at fairly lower prices. Probably due to limited ports.

In my research

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

All gulf based ships seem to sail at fairly lower prices. Probably due to limited ports.

In my research

Yup.

The infrastructure costs to sustain an Oasis class ship in Galveston would be above those others...and basically limit the market to those willing to drive there (likely only 200 - 300 miles or less away)...since the air travel and hotel limitations to support a 6000+ passenger ship regularly simply isn't there. That's equivalent to 2-3 smaller ("bargain" ) ship combined....and those won't sail exactly at the same time either.

How do you put 5,484 people (based on double occupancy) on a ship that holds 3,798 (based on double occupancy)?

I imagine the load factors on the first couple of months were above average compared to bookings on other OA ships.  I know a lot of people who jumped on Allure just because it was new to Galveston.  

Allure

Total Staterooms: 2,748
Suites 174 • Balcony 1,796 • Ocean View 176 • Interior 602

Liberty

Total Staterooms: 1,824
Suites 120 • Balcony 724 • Ocean View 240 • Interior 730

Seems like some suite guests won't be sailing in suites which further exacerbates the balcony cabins guests that will be demoted to ocean view and interior.

Even if you figure not every sailing was sold out for a given cabin type, some sailings and some cabin types had to have sold over the Liberty capacity to accommodate all those guests in their originally booked cabin type for that sailing.  

2 bedroom Star Class ATS is moved to two interior cabins.  Have a nice day, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by twangster

Sadness again!  We got this notice today today.  We were booked on the first 2 sailings of Allure from Galveston, large balcony.  Liberty is not a replacement for Allure just saying.  My deposit will take up to 90 days to refund to me.  Sigh. I sure could use some good news for a change when it comes to vacation.  

I’m looking at Celebrity edge 10 night or Vision 10 night to replace it which means more deposits to put out.  I wish the cruise lines were more helpful in moving you when they cancel. They usually have been.  They could keep my money that way and I wouldn’t have to pay again.  I wasn’t given that option, only Liberty.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

since the air travel and hotel limitations to support a 6000+ passenger ship regularly simply isn't there. 

46 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, I agree. If I need to fly, I'd feel less enticed to pay a premium to sail from Galveston (or other gulf ports) than from Florida ports due to the less appealing itineraries. But for people who prefer the convenience of driving, itineraries are secondary. I do remember though, that when Carnival announced that they'd be sending Vista (as a newbuild) to Galveston, they said that it was because of the revenue that they generate from Galveston compared to New Orleans and Mobile. It's their top revenue producing market outside of Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Port Canaveral. 

Concerning air travel, yes Galveston requires a rather lengthy drive from IAH (or a substantially shorter one from HOU), but I believe that these two airports combined provide enough air travel support to make Galveston a viable option. IAH moves more passengers annually than MIA or FLL. And HOU, while smaller, provides even more options for those who do decide to fly.

I agree that at first glance, placing an Oasis class ship in Galveston may not seem as viable, but I do believe that the numbers are there to make it profitable. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1