L&S denied because "class of ship" different

Hello - hoping a few of you experts can chime in on this one, especially now that L&S has been out for several weeks.

According to RCI's FAQ: 

32. Understanding that the same itinerary, stateroom category, sailing length, and timeframe are a requirement, is it essential that my client rebook on the same ship as well?
No, it is not required that your client rebook on the same ship or ship class.

I am booked on Freedom in Sept 2020. I asked my agent if we could L&S to Sept 2021, and what are our options since Freedom isn't sailing out of San Juan at that time. I was told our only option was Allure. I looked online thru mock booking, and found that Symphony runs identical itineraries as Allure, just out of different home port. We'd much prefer to go on Symphony. I emailed my agent to confirm we could L&S to Symphony instead of Allure, and things got weird.

TA response: "The Symphony of the Seas is unfortunately a different class of ship so that sailing and ship won’t qualify for the lift and shift. The only qualifying sailing dates and ship are what as provided in the earlier email of Allure of the seas."

Now, I'm no expert, and hopefully someone can explain it better to me? But aren't Symphony and Allure the same class of ship? Why would a Freedom to Allure L&S be eligible, but Freedom to Symphony not be eligible? Are their blackouts for certain ships in the fleet? Anything else I'm missing in my blindspots here?

TYIA

I was also booked on Freedom in September 2020. I was told I could not lift and shift to anything because there were no Southern Caribbean itineraries in my window for next year. There are a few people I’ve seen on these boards that were able to switch from Southern to Eastern/Western but many have not been able to. I hope you have better luck than I did. 

But to answer your question those 2 ships are in the same class. 

Edited by redsox1584

26 minutes ago, robmtx said:

Hello - hoping a few of you experts can chime in on this one, especially now that L&S has been out for several weeks.

According to RCI's FAQ: 

32. Understanding that the same itinerary, stateroom category, sailing length, and timeframe are a requirement, is it essential that my client rebook on the same ship as well?
No, it is not required that your client rebook on the same ship or ship class.

I am booked on Freedom in Sept 2020. I asked my agent if we could L&S to Sept 2021, and what are our options since Freedom isn't sailing out of San Juan at that time. I was told our only option was Allure. I looked online thru mock booking, and found that Symphony runs identical itineraries as Allure, just out of different home port. We'd much prefer to go on Symphony. I emailed my agent to confirm we could L&S to Symphony instead of Allure, and things got weird.

TA response: "The Symphony of the Seas is unfortunately a different class of ship so that sailing and ship won’t qualify for the lift and shift. The only qualifying sailing dates and ship are what as provided in the earlier email of Allure of the seas."

Now, I'm no expert, and hopefully someone can explain it better to me? But aren't Symphony and Allure the same class of ship? Why would a Freedom to Allure L&S be eligible, but Freedom to Symphony not be eligible? Are their blackouts for certain ships in the fleet? Anything else I'm missing in my blindspots here?

TYIA

Send your TA (who you are stuck with right now with this booking) the same quote you posted above from the FAQs.  Then, have him/her book you on the Symphony.  Then, find a new TA for future bookings.  Yours is not reading the literature RCCL is putting out about L&S, and therefore not able to give you proper service.

I'd call and check ahead with RCCL on your own (referring to a future booking you might want to do, but may have to L&S)  to see if this requires a little escalation when your TA calls.

Edited by pcur

I was able to switch from Independence of the Seas (Dec 20) to the Symphony of the Seas (Dec 21).  I would push your TA to call again!  In my case, I was on a Western and I was worried they were going to say Western + Perfect Day was not the same itinerary.  They did allow it because I was on a 5 night right before the holiday sailings and in 21 I didn't have many options.

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A different/better TA.

12 minutes ago, pcur said:

Then, find a new TA for future bookings.  Yours is not reading the literature RCCL is putting out about L&S, and therefore not able to give you proper service.

I align with these two statements. Sadly if I successfully L&S to 2021 I retain this agent for another year! UGH!

I was able to switch from Allure to Odyssey.  Within the 4 week window, same number of nights and same area but that's where the similarities end.  Odyssey is a different class, different home port and sails to mostly different ports.

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Now, I'm no expert, and hopefully someone can explain it better to me? But aren't Symphony and Allure the same class of ship? Why would a Freedom to Allure L&S be eligible, but Freedom to Symphony not be eligible? Are their blackouts for certain ships in

Your TA was correct that this cannot be shifted but fir the wrong reason.  

the freedom is a Southern while Symphony is an eastern or western.  They are not allowing those switches with the exception of a few summer months when there are no other southern sailings out of San Juan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Your TA was correct that this cannot be shifted but fir the wrong reason.  

the freedom is a Southern while Symphony is an eastern or western.  They are not allowing those switches with the exception of a few summer months when there are no other southern sailings out of San Juan. 

I thought about that. But then why are they allowing me to move from Freedom (Southern) to Allure (Eastern) with the exact same itinerary as Symphony (Eastern)? 

The ONLY differences between Allure and Symphony are the Home Port (Port Cvl v Miami) and Departure date (9/11/21 vs 9/5/21 or 9/19/21). They both go to the exact same ports of call. 

Do you think this is one of those "Exceptions" they did for my Southern.. "Hey, we'll allow the itin change but only to Allure" 

I'd rather just cancel the cruise, get FCC for cancelling it, then book a cheap Nov 2020 Southern out of San Juan that could be L&Sed to Nov 2021 and at least get my ports of call back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robmtx said:

I'd rather just cancel the cruise, get FCC for cancelling it, then book a cheap Nov 2020 Southern out of San Juan that could be L&Sed to Nov 2021 and at least get my ports of call back.

I like that idea

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, robmtx said:

I thought about that. But then why are they allowing me to move from Freedom (Southern) to Allure (Eastern) with the exact same itinerary as Symphony (Eastern)? 

The ONLY differences between Allure and Symphony are the Home Port (Port Cvl v Miami) and Departure date (9/11/21 vs 9/5/21 or 9/19/21). They both go to the exact same ports of call. 

Do you think this is one of those "Exceptions" they did for my Southern.. "Hey, we'll allow the itin change but only to Allure" 

Yes,  revenue has now provided the reps a list that they must go by.  I had done NE to SY shifts before and now they are only allowing NE to OA.  They are limiting transfers to ships that are more expensive where other options are available. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes,  revenue has now provided the reps a list that they must go by.  I had done NE to SY shifts before and now they are only allowing NE to OA.  They are limiting transfers to ships that are more expensive where other options are available. 

Figures. Did they kill Empress L&S?

Asking for friends.....😇