HAL still trying to raise cash by offering OBC for early payments on booked cruises

Turtles06

We're booked on a Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in January (2021), and today received yet another email offering us various amounts of OBC in exchange for specific amounts of "installment payments" toward the booked cruise.  (For example, pay $250 toward the cruise and get OBC of $50, pay $750 and get OBC of $250).  There's also an offer to make full payment now (instead of in October), and get 10% off and $250 OBC.   

I believe there's an older thread about this offer, which first came out in April and expired at the end of May.   Now the offer expires at the end of June.  Maybe in a few weeks we'll be told it expires at the end of July, who knows.   

Given all of the uncertainties about travel right now, and the significant health risks, we won't be putting more money into this cruise at the moment  -- certainly not for OBC.  Others may think the offer is a good deal.  I wonder if HAL is raising a lot of cash this way.

I'm wondering if the reason why we haven't gotten this (Caribbean B2B on N. Statendam Nov/Dec '20) is because they don't expect to be cruising by then.  It's looking more and more that cruising won't begin much before next year what with the most recent rash of cancellations. 

Linda R.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I'm wondering if the reason why we haven't gotten this (Caribbean B2B on N. Statendam Nov/Dec '20) is because they don't expect to be cruising by then.  It's looking more and more that cruising won't begin much before next year what with the most recent rash of cancellations. 

I agree. On May 6th HAL took a big swath out of their cruise calendar through the end of this year. Now, in early June, they took another bite out of the calendar by cancelling everything remaining that touched Canadian waters in 2020.  Sadly, I think the next shoe to drop will be in early July when I predict they will cancel the ANZ 2020 cruise calendar based on ANZ's proposal for a localized travel bubble.

To me the question isn't whether HAL will be ready to cruise in Q4 2020 or in 2021. My question is whether the destination governments will allow any international cruising by then, or whether they'll allow passengers from certain other countries who've had extremely high Covid-19 frequencies.

We have five HAL cruises booked in 2021, but have no money down beyond the minimal FCDs.  I wouldn't take the early payment/OBC deal...

10 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I'm wondering if the reason why we haven't gotten this (Caribbean B2B on N. Statendam Nov/Dec '20) is because they don't expect to be cruising by then.  It's looking more and more that cruising won't begin much before next year what with the most recent rash of cancellations.  Until there is either a vaccine or a cure, I don't see how the cruiselines can feel comfortable about being guaranteed an entry to any port, including the U.S.  Think Zaandam.  

Linda R.

It's beginning to look like there won't be much cruising in early 2021, either, as shown by the west coast cancellations for Hawaii and Chile.

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I doubt the money raised is even s minor amount relative to their obligations. Deposits on new cruises are a far greater amount.

Especially as related to FCDs. We have  3 cruises Feb/Mar/Aug on the books for 2021, one of which was just booked within the last month. We only have $600 invested to this point, so we are not out a lot of money at the moment. Of course, we are also now out of FCDs, which will probably replenish, if we do the Feb/Mar Asia cruise, if not those will go back into the pot for another time. 

This is also the second set of emails we've gotten about OBC and pre-payments, but at this point we are not looking to give HAL anymore of our $$ until final payment. 

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

It's beginning to look like there won't be much cruising in early 2021, either, as shown by the west coast cancellations for Hawaii and Chile.

At least for now, Mexico is still an option for early '21, as we currently have a March '21 sailing out of San Diego booked on Koningsdam.

• Like 1

Going back and forth on whether to do this or not. We also got the email. We have a 11 day Panama Caribbean cruise in mid Jan 2021. We've only paid the small deposit and insurance. Final payment due in Oct. We owe $2600 left. We've thought about buying two $1K gift cards in order to get the bonus $200 for each gift card for a total of $2400 to be paid down on cruise and if we pay it by June 30th, then we get 10% off the cruise fare and get onboard credit... So we'd save about $600 if we did the above... But with so much uncertainty, I just don't know. 

For those trying to decide what to do - no one has a crystal ball, sadly.

There is no right or wrong decision.  Once you decide what to do, don’t worry about the “what if’s” and the “I should have”.  As long as you are comfortable with what you decide now, then it’s a decision you’ve made and don’t fret and regret it.

For example, had I waited to cancel my cruise, I would have received a full refund.  Once the writing was on the wall With travel warnings I had no choice but to cancel or my travel insurance would have been voided.  How good it is remains to be seen but I do not regret the decision I made at the time.  It was the right thing to do.  No one can predict the future 😉 

• Like 2

We have a June 2021 cruise booked for our 50th anniversary. We only had used a FCD to book so went ahead and paid another $750 towards cruise and will get $250 additional OBC. We were willing to take the chance for our cruise to take place next year.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mattrr08 said:

They're also trying to keep cash by not refunding cancelations, owes me $17,500 +60 days, I will not book another cruise with HAL unless within 30 days of departure.

Friends who cancelled a May cruise on March 31 have received their refunds and FCCs. They were told at the time of cancellation the refund may take up to 60 days. It took 67 days. 

I understand not wanting to give HAL more money at this time.

However refunds ARE being paid out.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joann1123 said:

I wouldn't trust HAL for anything.

Great First Post !!!

Welcome, I hope being here helps you mellow over time.....LOL. We're glad you're here.

1 hour ago, esimon said:

not passing up a great offer like that -   paid off cruise and have tons of OBC now.  It will be a great cruise in Feb for sure

Good luck. I don't think I would take that deal now. Getting very pessimistic about future cruises.