You can blame the CDC, not NCL for the latest suspensions.

CaptainWes

And, yet, out of a three ship fleet, Disney has two ships that the CDC has color coded "provisionally red" for crew infections.
Honestly and I hate to say this but I don't listen to the CDC much when it comes to cruise ships. I don't think they are playing fair. That's just my opinion though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ukbecky said:

Because the chances of that happening are infinitesimally small.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

And yet 118,000 Americans are now dead in 3 months. Many of them were not high risk.

20% of hospitalizations for COVID19 are 20 to 44 year olds.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/19/coronavirus-illnesses-can-serious-young-adults-cdc-report/2874271001/

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i disagree , when you look at the amount of cases and those reported on ships , its actually lower (before lock down)  im not seeing any data that supports that you are more likely to catch it on a cruise than at your hospital. 

The only opinion that counts right now is CDC, for the USofA and now in Spain they are taking on board the European Commission take on whether or not cruise ships are safe in COVID--19 times! Greece and Canada, Australasia too are all of the same opinion.

I don't like this any more than you do, but this is where cruising is at! So, do we restart in 2021 or will it be 2022 now that reality is biting?

More importantly, how are you feeling now and have you had the test result?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

The only opinion that counts right now is CDC, for the USofA and now in Spain they are taking on board the European Commission take on whether or not cruise ships are safe in COVID--19 times! Greece and Canada, Australasia too are all of the same opinion.

I don't like this any more than you do, but this is where cruising is at! So, do we restart in 2021 or will it be 2022 now that reality is biting?

More importantly, how are you feeling now and have you had the test result?

im feeling a bit better since last night, (more energy)  no result yet , maybe later today or tomorrow, thanks for asking . i agree about the CDC. 

https://www.*****.com/2020/06/18/wall-street-cdc-blame-cruises-not-resuming-sooner

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/norwegian-cruise-investors-can-blame-the-cdc-for-extended-cruise-suspensions-analyst-says-2020-06-17

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Honestly and I hate to say this but I don't listen to the CDC much when it comes to cruise ships. I don't think they are playing fair. That's just my opinion though.

You may want to listen to them given the power they have over when the industry can restart...

• Like 3

You may want to listen to them given the power they have over when the industry can restart...
That is for the cruise lines to work out, not me. All I can do is wait for the cruise lines to restart when ever that is this century.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Absolutely ridiculous! I'm so disgusted! What the F is with the CDC and treating cruise lines differently. I'm just so disgusted.

Friend of mine mentioned this a month or so ago.  "It's easy for all those people in government to make stupid, small-minded, ignorant, selfish and, yes, disgusting decisions.  They don't care if the American economy tanks, they're still getting a paycheck."  People who are involved with formulating American rules are still paying their mortgages, feeding their children, and buying scads of stuff on Amazon.  Sometimes I think this whole virus baloney is a test to see how long we will just be sheep, no matter what idiocy they throw at us. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

.....Sometimes I think this whole virus baloney is a test to see how long we will just be sheep, no matter what idiocy they throw at us. 

Wow, just wow.....!

• Like 9

Of course the CDC is to blame for worrying too much about their reputation.  Once Walt Disney World and Disneyland open, and they will on schedule, the CDC is out of excuses for cruising.

Also noteworthy, NCL's plan has been to restart with their large ships, Bliss/Joy while Carnival is planning a mix.  Maybe NCL has determined it's better for them to start big.

Florida cases are going up because we are opening up.  Florida does not correlate the number of tests with either positive or negative results so the number of positives is almost meaningless as it's not an indicator of overall prevalence.

The line that the State and theme parks are breading CDC guidance is absurd and completely 100% false.  This like is purely to shame people for getting back to life.  Fortunately, a lot of people aren't listening and following the guidance which is distancing then face coverings. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Florida cases are going up because we are opening up

No kidding! New positive cases are through the roof. Hospitals are filling up. All because FL ignored CDC advice to only reopen after a consistent downward trend in positive cases.

Its going to suck for all of us who want to go on cruises soon. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I am bemused at how Florida was so quick to shut down it's ports to Cruise Ships needing a place to return with passengers needing medical help or just path home... and now is insisting on reopening as the state gets sicker and sicker. But not to cruise ships and not to New Yorkers, where the virus is under excellent control.

Looks like New York is going to give Florida a taste of its own medicine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/icu-beds-short-supply-across-florida-state-struggles-coronavirus-spike-n1231451

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

No kidding! New positive cases are through the roof. Hospitals are filling up. All because FL ignored CDC advice to only reopen after a consistent downward trend in positive cases.

Look, if you not going to bother with any facts, please stop posting.  Florida had the recommended downward trend and we reopened.  No one thought that trend would continue, that's ridiculous.

Stop lying about CDC recommendations.  Business are following them and people are mostly going along.  Whether or not they should is a topic for debate.  All you're doing is trying to scare/shame people for getting back to life.  Not gonna work.

I still expect Carnival to resume in August because by then, there will be no legitimate reason to stop them.  If people are willing to cruise and accept the risk, let them cruise (that will be an us come September).  Cases attributed to cruising will be insignificant compared to the general population.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

But this was going to happen no matter what, no matter when.

People can't/won't hide in their houses forever -- and that's the only sure way to stop the spread. The lockdown was to slow it, not to stop it.

Whether people get it on a ship, a plane, a restaurant or a store, they're still going to get it --- nothing short of hiding will stop that. So hide if you have to(and I know people who have to), but we can't all hide forever.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Of course the CDC is to blame for worrying too much about their reputation.  Once Walt Disney World and Disneyland open, and they will on schedule, the CDC is out of excuses for cruising.

WDW is much closer to, you know, actual hospitals. WDW also isn’t moving around from country to country with thousands of parkgoers. It’s apples and oranges.

Note: I also think WDW opening in less than three weeks while Orange County is running out of ICU capacity is bananas. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

WDW is much closer to, you know, actual hospitals. WDW also isn’t moving around from country to country with thousands of parkgoers. It’s apples and oranges.

Note: I also think WDW opening in less than three weeks while Orange County is running out of ICU capacity is bananas. 

Now Florida only has about a quarter of ICU beds open right now, and cases are just staring to spike upwards. In Pinellas county (where I live) since June 1st the cases have more than doubled from about 1200 cases to almost 3000 cases with deaths going from 82 to 112.  I'm with you I think if this trend keeps going upward WDW would be crazy to reopen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/icu-beds-in-short-supply-across-florida-as-state-struggles-with-coronavirus-spike/ar-BB15G4qS?ocid=msedgntp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janerd said:

Now Florida only has about a quarter of ICU beds open right now, and cases are just staring to spike upwards. In Pinellas county (where I live) since June 1st the cases have more than doubled from about 1200 cases to almost 3000 cases with deaths going from 82 to 112.  I'm with you I think if this trend keeps going upward WDW would be crazy to reopen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/icu-beds-in-short-supply-across-florida-as-state-struggles-with-coronavirus-spike/ar-BB15G4qS?ocid=msedgntp

Good info but a waste on some. Bottom line is the cruise lines must have the CDC’s blessing to return to service with passengers. The cruise lines have lined up enough cash to extend no sail for 12-18 months. They know when to expect to cruise again. The idea is to keep selling cruises and moving cancellations out a few months at a time. That keeps some cash flow going. 

I think the CDC still has the Diamond/Grand Princess and HAL Zaandam fresh on their mind. Personally my money is on a vaccine being in place first per the below from the following article. 

6/03/20

“Review of plans for restarting service has not begun

However, the Herald also reported CDC has not begun to review cruise line plans for resuming service before a vaccine is developed.

Global migration and quarantine chief Martin Cetron told the paper lines face a 'herculean' task to protect future travelers from COVID-19, comparing the risk of infection on cruise ships to meatpacking plants, long-term care facilities and prisons.“

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/cdc-cruise-lines-face-herculean-task-fighting-covid-19

Best wishes and good luck to the folks living in Florida, Texas, and Arizona ... from NY - behind California with the spike in new cases.  Whether the increases in new infections are from testing or not, really, is irrelevant - heads or tails, a fraction of them will be sick enough to require hospitalization, of which some will require ICU admissions and intubations while sedated - the harsh reality to some of them.  The governor was on the news circuit saying it is being watched closely, under control and going to be okay.  I surely hope so and pray for ... 

Going to need the national guard troops to move at warp speed, maybe the active military to do some medevacs - there might not be time to build those field hospitals like NY but there should be enough refrigerated trailers available.  Hopefully, FEMA has enough PPE on hand now to deal with the surge.  That the cemeteries and last responders are on alert, standing by.  Plenty of painful lessons from the tri-state NY area that can be shared. 

Leadership. Medical facts. Scientific data.  Sound guidance.  Compliance.  Overdue for a coordinated regional disaster plan.  Call in those Mutual Aid & move those resources now.  Beijing, China went back into their "war-time mode" with 50 cases on a single day and here in America, we laughed and joked.  The worst is yet to come.  

This time, it is not going to be a run on toilet paper.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4