Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

So if a Princess ship replaces Oceana, what will they offer all those who had booked Oceana for the middle East season?
The same price, same itinerary and same dates with some extra OBC?

Take off the extra OBC most likely, doubt that much will be given away.

One point is, if P&O can replicate your holiday to that level, then the opportunity to cancel (i.e. you are a specific fan of Oceana only), might not be there, beyond the general provisions in place at the moment.  Have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, No pager thank you said:

One point is, if P&O can replicate your holiday to that level, then the opportunity to cancel (i.e. you are a specific fan of Oceana only), might not be there, beyond the general provisions in place at the moment.  Have to wait and see.

I’d happily accept a ship transfer if the price and itinerary stayed the same - and the same type of cabin. 

• Like 1

I imagine now that rumors are circulating more substantially a comment from P&O must surely land in a few days. 

Wow. Really sad that Oceana looks set to go. 😞

i wonder if they will blitz the entire Sun class cruise ships across the corporation. 

Thanks so much.
please keep us posted on the latest developments on the replacement for Oceana.
I guess the middle East sailings will not be cancelled then. And I can go ahead with my final payment.
I hope they keep the same dates.
The departure port can be Dubai or Abu Dhabi, it doesn't matter.
On Princess, do you think they will offer us the same cabin category as our Oceana Cruise?

Just now, drsel said:

Thanks so much.
please keep us posted on the latest developments on the replacement for Oceana.
I guess the middle East sailings will not be cancelled then. And I can go ahead with my final payment.
I hope they keep the same dates.
The departure port can be Dubai or Abu Dhabi, it doesn't matter.
On Princess, do you think they will offer us the same cabin category as our Oceana Cruise?

The cabin grades are almost identical to Azura. In fact, you have enough balcony rooms you could upgrade all inside/outside cabins.

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Just call the specialty restaurants Sindhu at Sabantini's; Epicurian at Crown Grill; Glasshouse at Vines. I have a feeling that Southampton still supply the theatre services for princess, not to mention certain other services. If temporary, you wouldn't even need to rename the ship.

• Like 2

Just told my brother and sister in law the sad news and told them that if they have a Princess ship instead it will be fab - particularly if it has a great atrium and is like Azura. We did not like Ventura so would not be happy with that swap at all.

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just told my brother and sister in law the sad news and told them that if they have a Princess ship instead it will be fab - particularly if it has a great atrium and is like Azura. We did not like Ventura so would not be happy with that swap at all.

Just as I said, the Princess comments are 'an option' and as such should be viewed as a rumour rather than reliable. When I hear more, I'll advise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Just as I said, the Princess comments are 'an option' and as such should be viewed as a rumour rather than reliable. When I hear more, I'll advise.

They took it better than me and didn't cry ! I still get choked up --- then again I have been like this with all of our old cars as well !!!! 

• Like 1

Sorry but if they do get rid of Oceana I think they will just cancel all cruises on her and offer cruises on other P&O ships with perhaps a small amount of obc as compensation or able to cancel altogether at no cost. Cannot see transfers from Oceana to a Princess cruise because of difference in ship and costs especially to the fact that P&O is inclusive of tips and Princess is not and at $15pppd is a considerable cost extra to customer and Princess cruises are generally dearer than P&O.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Mentioned on another forum by a cruise insider that he had seen recently that the 6 ships Carnival were getting rid of are 1 x Costa, 2 x Aida, 1 x HAL and 2 Princess.

If these rumours about Oceana turn out not to be true it will be incredible. I'm sure we've been hearing for years and years that Oceana had been due to leave the fleet for one reason or another. I will be so glad of course if she stays. She'll have some fame for having all these rumours over the years but still sailing!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but if they do get rid of Oceana I think they will just cancel all cruises on her and offer cruises on other P&O ships with perhaps a small amount of obc as compensation or able to cancel altogether at no cost. Cannot see transfers from Oceana to a Princess cruise because of difference in ship and costs especially to the fact that P&O is inclusive of tips and Princess is not and at $15pppd is a considerable cost extra to customer and Princess cruises are generally dearer than P&O.

The thought behind bringing in another ship is to soften the blow of having to give out thousands of more refunds which they’d have to do if Oceana goes completely. If they brought in a princess ship I imagine they’d stick a P&O logo on it and run it to P&Os policies and procedures for that stint. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The comment about a Princess ship was not to say that Princess would be operating it under their T&C's but more like P&O making use of a Princess ship to make up for the itinerary shortfall once Oceana departs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Presumably the ship would operate as though it was a P&O ship, unless I've misunderstood what's been said. So no tips etc. Makes sense if Oceana has a good level of bookings and Princess is selling less well etc 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Mentioned on another forum by a cruise insider that he had seen recently that the 6 ships Carnival were getting rid of are 1 x Costa, 2 x Aida, 1 x HAL and 2 Princess.

But iirc, as well as saying that agreements had been reached to dispose of 6 ships, it also said they were actively seeking agreements to dispose of a number (undisclosed) of others...

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If that's the case then , what's going on with Oceana? 

Avril  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If that's the case then , what's going on with Oceana? 

Avril  

I think its safer to say that Oceana is on her way out based on the recent events  including but not limited to the move from a perfectly adequate berth back to her 'home' port in conjunction with the rumours and article suggesting the same.

Anything else being said at this point is pure speculation and/or desire for an alternate outcome IMO and with all due respect to whomever is referring to a 'cruise insider' unless there's more to their information than that, I equate titles like those with ' expert only on social media' 

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

You have to bear in mind that replacing Oceana, if she does go, will mean cancelling all the existing sailings on her replacement, a bit of a domino effect then?  

Somehow I would assume the Dubai itineraries will be lost if she goes, but that is the point, WILL SHE ACTUALLY GO?

Edited by terrierjohn

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

How they work out who has what cabin is beyond me? There is no comparison

Ive got a mini suite booked on Oceana over Xmas, dont think either of them have anything similar. Still holding out for the original cruise to happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

But iirc, as well as saying that agreements had been reached to dispose of 6 ships, it also said they were actively seeking agreements to dispose of a number (undisclosed) of others...

Correct.

Every ship has her price. The only ships considered safe from sale are those in classes still being built - i.e. Britannia and Iona. 

But at present I’ve no reason to suspect any ship other than Oceana is at risk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You have to bear in mind that replacing Oceana, if she does go, will mean cancelling all the existing sailings on her replacement, a bit of a domino effect then?  

Somehow I would assume the Dubai itineraries will be lost if she goes, but that is the point, WILL SHE ACTUALLY GO?

I flit from really believing she will go to thinking it doesn't make sense to sell a sold out? ship right now and causing a domino effect. 

Apart from the rumours and speculation, the change to plans seems to signify something. 

We will find out in due course. 

Andy 

Just now, drsel said:

The experts here on cruise critic are usually correct/accurate with their analysis and predictions

Maybe she has just returned home to collect some stores!

And the Tower is having some fun!