So, If You Can't Cruise This Summer, What Will You Do?

HamOp

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

Path Between the Seas is over 600 pages, and fairly dry reading. But the author makes it interesting, and the history is fascinating. 

It took us both a partial and full transit as inspiration to finally finish one great but long book.  We were as well prepared as the commentators on both HAL and Princess in the end.

Ruth

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Don't want to be a downer, but looks like I am going to spend the summer driving DW to chemo. ☹️

And hoping we can get a spring week in Sorrento and maybe a Baltic cruise in the early summer 2021.

So sorry to hear that.  Wishing good results for DW and strength for the entire family.

Roy

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Don't want to be a downer, but looks like I am going to spend the summer driving DW to chemo. ☹️

And hoping we can get a spring week in Sorrento and maybe a Baltic cruise in the early summer 2021.

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this.  Sending all best wishes to you and your family.  Stay strong!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

So sorry to hear about your DW's chemo, but I hope all goes well and you have a wonderful week in Sorrento and Baltic cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Reading. 

Just finished Path Between the Seas yesterday, and am starting Burning Cold this afternoon. 

Please see a post that follows.  Not sure what happened to my attempt to do this one.

Edited by rkacruiser

Depends on how much of the US opens up and when. Maybe a week-long road trip from CA to the Rockies or to the Pacific Northwest. Depends on hotels, restaurants opening and states not requiring self-isolation. Wait and see!

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I am sorry that you are facing this ordeal. May all go well for DW. 

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Reading. 

Just finished Path Between the Seas yesterday, and am starting Burning Cold this afternoon. 

When you are finished with Burning Cold, I can recommend The Prinsendam Disaster  An Officer's Account by Mathieu J. Oosterwijk who was the 2nd Officer aboard Prinsendam I in October, 1980.  I can also recommend the excellent detailed history of the tragedy written by the Executive Officer (at that time) of the Coast Guard Cutter Boutwell who responded to the accident and helped to rescue passengers from the life boats:  None Were Lost by Stephen J. Corcoran. 

Captain Corcoran's book provides a very comprehensive and detailed historical view and appreciation of what the Canadian and USCG did in conjunction with the tankers "Williamsburg" and "Sohio Intrepid"  to assist in saving all of the lives on Prinsendam.  Heroes of the story are also in Sitka, Juneau, Anchorage, Yakutat, as well as Ham operators in Alaska as well as in other far away sites.  (The ability to communicate in 1980 was different from what it is in 2020.)

My Summer appears to be a stay-at-home one sprinkled with doctor's appointments, grocery and drug store visits.  Maybe, if I get brave enough:  a lunch or dinner in a real restaurant and not just curb-side carry-out.

I am considering an in-State driving trip to Ohio Presidential historical sites that I have never visited:  Hayes, Garfield, McKinley.  Maybe a trip to Indianapolis for a visit to the Benjamin Harrison site located there.  None will take place, though, until I feel more comfortable than I now am in putting myself at risk of contracting Covid-19.  

I love to read and I have enough books, magazines, journals to last me longer than I will live.  Plus, being able to participate on CC and another Forum provides much pleasure as well as education.  

• Like 1

We're going on a road trip from San Diego to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons National Park, Yellowstone National Park. Big Sky MT and Glacier National Park and home again.  During our working years we earmarked almost all vacation time and money toward cruising.  It's time to see the USA!  

We have had four cruises canceled -- we miss them  ☹️

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We're going on a road trip from San Diego to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons National Park, Yellowstone National Park. Big Sky MT and Glacier National Park and home again.  During our working years we earmarked almost all vacation time and money toward cruising.  It's time to see the USA!  

We have had four cruises canceled -- we miss them  ☹️

Camping, RVing, hoteling?  I can give some places to camp around SLC.  Be sure you have your reservations for any campsites in the NPs!  National Parks are going to be mega-crowded this year.

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

Camping, RVing, hoteling?  I can give some places to camp around SLC.  Be sure you have your reservations for any campsites in the NPs!  National Parks are going to be mega-crowded this year.

We'll be doing the hotel route, thanks for the offer for camping tips.  It will be interesting to see how crowded the parks will be.  There are still a fair number of people that are nervous to leave home.

The spring, when they first re-opened, would have been the ideal time.  We are timing it to meet with good friends who have a vacation home in Big Sky.  We are really looking forward to the trip. 

As soon as my herpes zoster ophthalmica clears up and I can see well enough to drive, I'll do a mini-roadtrp to campgrounds in Utah and maybe Idaho.  Usually my seasons to do my trips are Spring and Fall.  But, with no job right now (thanks COVID), I can do some things this summer.  My big road trip I'll save for Fall - still trying to decide what route I want to do.  Until then, it'll be 3 day trips higher up in the mountains for camping.  Every big activity our town usually has in the summer has been canceled, so we may have some good "locals" time here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

As soon as my herpes zoster ophthalmica clears up and I can see well enough to drive, I'll do a mini-roadtrp to campgrounds in Utah and maybe Idaho.  Usually my seasons to do my trips are Spring and Fall.  But, with no job right now (thanks COVID), I can do some things this summer.  My big road trip I'll save for Fall - still trying to decide what route I want to do.  Until then, it'll be 3 day trips higher up in the mountains for camping.  Every big activity our town usually has in the summer has been canceled, so we may have some good "locals" time here.  

I hope you are well soon and your job returns.  People are going nuts wanting to do things and go places, not many want to fly anywhere.

2 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We'll be doing the hotel route, thanks for the offer for camping tips.  It will be interesting to see how crowded the parks will be.  There are still a fair number of people that are nervous to leave home.

The spring, when they first re-opened, would have been the ideal time.  We are timing it to meet with good friends who have a vacation home in Big Sky.  We are really looking forward to the trip. 

I'm just waiting for the animals to realize they have to give the parks back to us!!!  <joking> I've had enough bears and mountain lions sniffing around my test over the years to not want it again!!!   I know up here (Utah), the campgrounds are already full a lot of the time because we're all weary of staying at home and camping is a great way to social distance!!

• Like 2

Have read a ton, made Christmas stockings for my granddaughters that I’ve had for three years and spent time recuperating from surgery.  

Now Very thankful we put our Rv on a permanent site this year!  No more panicking for a reservation.   Now do we just buy a boat too?  

3980AF34-EB45-4B90-A2EA-91FEBD4D56D6.jpeg

13D42FFA-B752-4B80-A98C-1679D5E7C718.jpeg

983E7DEA-526D-4421-857F-A0549B90F3A0.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Hope you are well soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

When you are finished with Burning Cold, I can recommend The Prinsendam Disaster  An Officer's Account by Mathieu J. Oosterwijk who was the 2nd Officer aboard Prinsendam I in October, 1980.  I can also recommend the excellent detailed history of the tragedy written by the Executive Officer (at that time) of the Coast Guard Cutter Boutwell who responded to the accident and helped to rescue passengers from the life boats:  None Were Lost by Stephen J. Corcoran. 

Good suggestions, thanks. Always ready for the next good read. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Best wishes to your DW for successful treatments.