Carnival's June 22 announcement - burning questions

Obviously, with CLIA's announcement on Friday that all cruises out of the U.S. would be canceled until September 15, Carnival's expected press release tomorrow would have to cover this.  But the delay also gives them the opportunity to make some other announcements if they care to, such as:

• Will they delay cruises beyond September 15?  Currently outsiders like me cannot book any cruises for September (except a couple based in Australia, which I'll ignore) and only short cruises are available in October (with a couple of exceptions).
  • Will other Carnival Corporation lines announce their cancellation plans at the same time?  I think most, if not all, the other CCL lines that sail out of the U.S. have canceled their cruises during this time period, but I could have missed something.
  • Will ships in their "accelerated retirement" plan be announced?  If so, which ones will get the heave ho?
  • Will they change their rebooking incentives?
  • Will they announce an extension in the dates of cruises that offer final payment dates closer to the time of the cruise?  I have a cruise in October that has a final payment date coming up fairly soon, so I'm especially interested in this.
  • Will they announce additional details about the cruising experience when they do sail?
  • Will they announce the ships and ports they plan to use when they resume sailing?  Arnold Donald has said that the last announcement was an "insightful mistake", and perhaps they don't want to make the same mistake again?  Or would it be a mistake at all this time around??

I suspect within 24 hours we'll have our announcement, and I'll follow up then.

• Like 2

H. B. , you're giving me a headache. :classic_biggrin:  Who knows what to expect with tomorrow's 'announcement', except for all sailings cancelled thru Sept. 15.  I don't even care to venture a guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off the phone with Carnival.

I had called to question the wisdom in cancelling and rebooking a Nov cruise.

I was told to hold on for a day. 

There is a HUGE announcement coming tomorrow. (already knew this)

I am hoping for good news but am trying to be prepared if it isn't.

I really need a cruise! 

My daughter says to be very positive, 
She is sure that "Hold on" means Nov will happen.

Fingers are crossed!!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, sandy toes said:

I really need a cruise! 

Fingers are crossed!!

Thanks for the heads up  sandy! Good to know. We all are waiting with baited breath. And I LIKE how your daughter thinks! 👍

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Well, it's nice to know I'm in good company! Let's hope we all get to sail in the very near future! 🥂

Back at you! Next one booked is next April. If that happens that will mean it was 18 months between cruises, by far the longest stretch since we paused to start a family over 25 years ago. 😎

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

I really need a cruise! 

Fingers are crossed!!

Thanks for sharing.  I think your rep knows a little something.  Not all of them do.  I hope you get the news you want to hear.

16 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

I think there will still be many more questions than answers 

Very much so.  Especially since the virus seems to be controlling everything.

In my opinion they are crunching numbers and reality and trying to figure out how to float the money, keep the deposits and fully paids and keep the stock prices up. They know they have a large group of due hards who they can take advantage of but need to figure out how to attract new past and keep the bankers happy. It truly is a mess. My opinion again is to wait till next year before any more money is given to them. I cannot are sailing under the restrictions they will have to impose for health reasons and the risks. There is no way the cruise experience will be the same as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

In my opinion they are crunching numbers and reality and trying to figure out how to float the money, keep the deposits and fully paids and keep the stock prices up. They know they have a large group of due hards who they can take advantage of but need to figure out how to attract new past and keep the bankers happy. It truly is a mess. My opinion again is to wait till next year before any more money is given to them. I cannot are sailing under the restrictions they will have to impose for health reasons and the risks. There is no way the cruise experience will be the same as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m very pessimistic, the CDC hasn’t given a hint of reopening the cruise industry. I don’t expect any good news from them. Our B2B for September 5th thru the 19th is history no matter what happens. This will be our second cancellation. No cruising for us the rest of this year. Did some mock bookings and there are some really good deals out there for next year. Will take FCC and apply it to a cruise next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

• Will other Carnival Corporation lines announce their cancellation plans at the same time?  I think most, if not all, the other CCL lines that sail out of the U.S. have canceled their cruises during this time period, but I could have missed something.

Two weeks ago Cunard canceled all trips up to and including November 1. It was very soon after the U.K.'s announcement that all travelers to the U.K. would be required to quarantine for two weeks after arrival. I can't imagine too many folks from the U.S. who wanted to do a 7-day TA from Southampton to NY could do that - two weeks' quarantine before a one week crossing?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Us as well. I think we are going to hold off a while before we rebook again.  I wonder how long the FCC is good for without booking immediately.

You by have to book by 12/31/2020 for a cruise  sailing by 12/31/2022

• Thanks 1

Realize this is speculation but the in conversation I had with my TA on Thursday (6/18) she said Carnival will not sail in August/September & that the announcement would probably be made next Monday (6/22).  What she didn’t say was:

•If her knowledge of this came from CLIA or Carnival

•I didn’t know at the time that CLIA’s date was only thru 9/14 or I would have asked if she meant the full month or just into September.

I would recommend folks just wait until tomorrow to know for sure.

Assuming I get cancelled, I have 6 bookings left. So i dont have a lot of space to fill if i keep getting cancelled. This will be my 4th cancellation. 

I would be very surprised if many of your questions are answered. They dont know when cdc will allow us to cruise. I suspect the big announcement will be about cancelling and rebooking but not much else.

1 minute ago, MMastell said:

My strong belief is that they will announce an extension of the no sail through October and announce the retirement of two or all Fantasy Class ships. We shall see.

I've read only fantasy class can get under the bridge at Jacksonville. I would be extremely surprised if all were retired and they give up a port.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You by have to book by 12/31/2020 for a cruise  sailing by 12/31/2022

Just an opinion....but if they extend cancellations they may extend the "book by" date.

Remember....the 12/31/20 date was as a result of the first cancellations...the March cruises.  If someone is booked for Fall 2020...it's not fair to just give them a month or so to "reorganize".

• Like 1

At least we will hear something tomorrow.  I have a feeling they are just going to cancel cruises through Sept 15th and my cruise at the end of September will still be in limbo.  But maybe they will cancel through the end of September.  I am glad they will make an announcement tomorrow.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

At least we will hear something tomorrow.  I have a feeling they are just going to cancel cruises through Sept 15th and my cruise at the end of September will still be in limbo.  But maybe they will cancel through the end of September.  I am glad they will make an announcement tomorrow.

Let's just hope they do. Without more delaying tactics. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've read only fantasy class can get under the bridge at Jacksonville. I would be extremely surprised if all were retired and they give up a port.

I don't believe this is entirely true...at least based on my observations of the Miracle's (Spirit Class) "Trophy Case" which documents all the maiden arrivals the ship has made into various ports.

If the 'case' (and my memory) can be believed, it looked like the Miracle took their maiden cruise voyage from Jacksonville, so I would ASSUME that all of the Spirit class ships can successfully sail from Jacksonville as well.  I've attached a picture which seems to show the Miracle sailing under the bridge near the Jax port.

Now, whether Carnival would actually assign a Spirit class ship to Jacksonville is another discussion!

https://www.cruisingtalk.com/attachments/awww-cruiseblogger-com_nf40315i-jpg.37290/

Garnett