How will the botched repatriation affect employees returning to work?

M_BA

One issue I'd pondered is how the ten of thousands of crew members still stuck in limbo, and not being paid, will react to signing a new contract anytime in the future.

Obviously the CDC is the biggest issue for US ports, but the crew issues will be worldwide. Cruise lines rely heavily on low wage earners for 90%+ their operations. If you can't staff a ship, then the ship disembarking is a moot point.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I’m sure some will not return, but if the pay is still substantially more than they can make otherwise, there will by those willing to work. All of the cruise lines have announced a phased return to sailing when cruises do resume, so they will not need the same amount of workers initially as they had when cruises shut down in March. They will have 4-6 months to get back to sailing most of their ships. There will also be less ships sailing once they do get back to full deployment. Carnival Corp has already announced the sale of 6 ships and other lines are looking to reduce their fleets as well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don't start a thread with a bogus premise.

What bogus premise?  OP is asking for people's opinion if the workers will be willing to return based on their experiencing back home after things were locked down.  Sounds like a reasonable premise.

To answer the OP...

I think some workers will not return who would have normally return during normal times.  However I do think enough will return (and neophytes) to staff the ships.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gatour said:

What bogus premise?  OP is asking for people's opinion if the workers will be willing to return based on their experiencing back home after things were locked down.  Sounds like a reasonable premise.

To answer the OP...

I think some workers will not return who would have normally return during normal times.  However I do think enough will return (and neophytes) to staff the ships.

The bogus premise was the title stating that the repatriation was botched. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 5

Click bait title.  

The cruise industry provides jobs for thousands and opportunities that many of them simply don't have in their home countries. 

Many businesses around the world have failed.  In some cases good jobs in many home crew countries were hard to find before the virus.  Now the unemployment will be staggering.  Given the choice of being unemployed with no opportunity to provide for their families I suspect large numbers will be eager to return to work on a ship when they can and when it is safe.  They'll have little choice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The bogus premise was the title stating that the repatriation was botched. 

It was botched, maybe not by the cruise lines but it was botched by various entities that did not allow the affected crew to get home in a timely manner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Crew members still on the ships are still being paid (this is governed by international maritime convention) 

When the time comes to staff ships to return to service, you won’t be able to see the end of the line outside of Human Resources. 

Not all crew members are being paid according to this video around 3:40 mark he answers that question

• Like 2

22 hours ago, M_BA said:

One issue I'd pondered is how the ten of thousands of crew members still stuck in limbo, and not being paid, will react to signing a new contract anytime in the future.

Obviously the CDC is the biggest issue for US ports, but the crew issues will be worldwide. Cruise lines rely heavily on low wage earners for 90%+ their operations. If you can't staff a ship, then the ship disembarking is a moot point.

Thoughts?

Do you have a source for your statement that repatriation was "botched"? and that there are "ten of thousands" (your words) crew stuck in limbo and not being paid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gatour said:

It was botched, maybe not by the cruise lines but it was botched by various entities that did not allow the affected crew to get home in a timely manner.

How does the cruise line repatriate anyone when the employee's home country refuses to allow anyone in or out (regardless of where they're coming from/going to, or why they want to enter/leave the country). It's impossible to be responsible for botching something when you are not at all involved in the decisions being made. Perhaps the title should have read "How does the Philippine's (or pick your country of choice) refusal to allow anyone to either enter or leave its borders affect a cruise line's ability to recruit and employ staff from that country?"

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, M_BA said:

Thoughts?

Who told you all of this?  I can't verify any of this you say about all the crew.

I would think they'd be happy to get back to work after being furloughed for so long if they weren't able to find another job that they enjoyed as much.

• Like 2

Crew member here 👋

I am ready to go back as soon as I can get back, as are the majority I know (also part of various social media groups full of crew from all different companies and the consensus seems the same there too). 

I do not necessarily think the operations to get crew home was/is botched, not when you open your eyes to what is going on in the world, but then I dont believe much of what that cruise lawyer posts as 'news'.

Crew onboard who are working are getting paid. Crew whose contracts have ended are not being paid a 'wage' but are still getting an allowance for necessities, as well as being fed and getting free wifi (which is where most my wages go) 

Those at home are also not being paid, no furlough for crew, and not many jobs available out there. 

Those that I see complaining the most are also the ones who complain about the job pretty much every day onbaord too, so it's probably best for everyone if they dont go back. 

For everyone who doesn't want to go back there are new crew waiting. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

Crew member here 👋

I am ready to go back as soon as I can get back, as are the majority I know (also part of various social media groups full of crew from all different companies and the consensus seems the same there too). 

I do not necessarily think the operations to get crew home was/is botched, not when you open your eyes to what is going on in the world, but then I dont believe much of what that cruise lawyer posts as 'news'.

Crew onboard who are working are getting paid. Crew whose contracts have ended are not being paid a 'wage' but are still getting an allowance for necessities, as well as being fed and getting free wifi 

Thanks for the update. Its good to hear first hand news for once 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Crew member here 👋

Crew onboard who are working are getting paid. Crew whose contracts have ended are not being paid a 'wage' but are still getting an allowance for necessities, as well as being fed and getting free wifi (which is where most my wages go) 

Those at home are also not being paid, no furlough for crew, and not many jobs available out there. 

Those that I see complaining the most are also the ones who complain about the job pretty much every day onbaord too, so it's probably best for everyone if they dont go back. 

Thank you for posting. Chatting with couple other Cruise Workers and they say pretty much same... "Cruise Lawyer," don't get me started...

22 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Crew member here 👋

Thanks for checking in.  Hope you're back on board and working again, soon!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 12:33 AM, ONECRUISER said:

Thank you for posting. Chatting with couple other Cruise Workers and they say pretty much same... "Cruise Lawyer," don't get me started...

I used to think he was decent/on our side.

He deletes comments and blocks people who speak the truth when it doesn't fit his 'news'.

I commented once and he went and looked on my profile (but not much of what he can see is absolutely 100% so he kinda failed) and asked if it was an official statement from the company. And then couldn't accept that I actually love and enjoy my job and accept the rough deal we get with it, so he told me I had Stockholm syndrome. 🙄

Unfortunately a lot of people truly believe what he says over the people that actually live it, because he tells people we are brainwashed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should probably add that I dont know if I'll go back. But, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the company/cruise lines in general have dealt with it. 

I simply can't afford to wait until potentially next year. I tried at the start but as it gets pushed back, it's just as annoying for crew as those who are having cruises cancelled but for obviously different reasons. 

I'm applying for a few jobs that have a 2 year contract, so I wont be able to go back. If I get a job on land and enjoy it, I'll stay. I've been looking to leave ships for a while but haven't had the push. 

If Covid hadn't happened I would be onboard right now, or if Covid had done one already I would be ready to go. 

I just cant afford to wait. 

• Like 3