Where have you visited on a cruise that you would return for a Land-only vacation?

TeeRick

On 7/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, SEA DOGY said:

For us. Only two places 

Funchal.  Madeira island 

and 

Dubrovnik    And  Zadar   Croatia 

A lot of love for Croatia on this thread.  I agree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

We should probably keep quiet about it.  It may get spoiled if it gets over run, as other places have.

Yeah- but then I might switch to Montenegro instead!

34 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

The Scandinavian countries are gorgeous. Could easily spend some serious land time in Denmark, Finland and Sweden.

I love Grenen in Denmark where the Baltic Sea meets the North Sea.  Scandinavian countries are really beautiful.  I have not been to Norway but have a cruise planned there in Aug 2021.  I also thought Estonia was very beautiful.

I like traveling in the USA, but I would love an AI somewhere here something akin to what we see in the Caribbean. Maybe in the southwest? I think a lot it stems from labor being more expensive here. Its annoying that to travel the USA you either have to drive (and pay for everything a la carte) or fly (and pay for everything a la carte). Don't get me wrong that seems to be what the market demands but it would be nice if we could get a few - and they would probably very popular right now.

47 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I love Grenen in Denmark where the Baltic Sea meets the North Sea.  Scandinavian countries are really beautiful.  I have not been to Norway but have a cruise planned there in Aug 2021.  I also thought Estonia was very beautiful.

We did a b2b out of Dublin to Norway and Iceland in 2019. The quaintness of Norway's towns, the quiet calmness when cruising the fjords and the stunning beauty of the mountainous landscape, all provide a prolific visual of this beautiful country.

Iceland shows itself in a myriad of ways. It's raw, rugged presentation is impressive in it's various looks. A different beauty wherever you go.

We hope to cruise again to both places. So much to see. However, for us, a land-based vacation is not something we would plan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I like traveling in the USA, but I would love an AI somewhere here something akin to what we see in the Caribbean. Maybe in the southwest? I think a lot it stems from labor being more expensive here. Its annoying that to travel the USA you either have to drive (and pay for everything a la carte) or fly (and pay for everything a la carte). Don't get me wrong that seems to be what the market demands but it would be nice if we could get a few - and they would probably very popular right now.

Have you considered Amtrak trains?

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You will love Norway, but be warned--it's very expensive.  Also loved Tallin, Estonia.  Again, another former eastern bloc country not overrun by tourists yet.  The linens there were to die for!  And dirt cheap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You will love Norway, but be warned--it's very expensive.  Also loved Tallin, Estonia.  Again, another former eastern bloc country not overrun by tourists yet.  The linens there were to die for!  And dirt cheap.

I am saving so much money not cruising this year that I will be able to afford Norway next year!😀

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We did a b2b out of Dublin to Norway and Iceland in 2019. The quaintness of Norway's towns, the quiet calmness when cruising the fjords and the stunning beauty of the mountainous landscape, all provide a prolific visual of this beautiful country.

Iceland shows itself in a myriad of ways. It's raw, rugged presentation is impressive in it's various looks. A different beauty wherever you go.

We hope to cruise again to both places. So much to see. However, for us, a land-based vacation is not something we would plan.

I was supposed to be doing an Iceland Ireland cruise on Reflection at this very moment!

Its not like its that hard to visit Hawaii nowdays, but whenever I am on acruise in pacific and visit Hawaii I always want to stay there for awhile. This place is amazing, people are chill, nature is awesome. Food is excellent. What else a man needs?

Cant wait to go specifically to Hawaii and just to stay there for some time 

For us it would have to be Australia. We have visited  Perth and Sydney where we have picked up cruises, but would love to explore Melbourne and Adelaide and may be take the train across Australia 

So glad many of you would like to return to Guernsey, living here and having to take a staycation this year is no hard ship for us. IMO it is one of the best places to be at present, last case of Covid19 was 79 days ago so life here is pretty much back to normal, no social distancing, no masks, pretty much everything open. Only restriction is travel on to the Island where you have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival. Although we are allowed to travel freely between  Alderney, Sark and Herm. 

• Like 2

When I was young, a cruise let me get a small taste of places. It often intrigued me enough to revisit on land for an extended stay.  There are lots of places that I have gone back to visit many times after my first time visiting on a cruise. 
Bermuda, London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Lisbon, St. Martin, the US Virgins, Copenhagen

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, TeeRick said:

We all need to consider non-cruise vacations at this point perhaps into 2021.  I have been to a lot of cruise destinations.  I have always said I would like to return to some of them some day if I ever got a chance.  Let's make an assumption for this discussion that airlines fly and countries are open to tourists.  But still no cruises.  Where would you spend vacation time?

For me it would be New Zealand, the Adriatic (Croatia, Montenegro), the Baltics (Finland Sweden), Quebec, Alaska.    What about you?

Now If you are highly restricted this summer to your own country and can use only private transport (driving) where would you vacation?  This is the likely choice many of us have to make.

I personally would go to northern New England (love Maine).  About a 9 hour drive for me.

All the vaccine posts are getting to me.  Love all the comments on this thread.  So while late to the party here are my favs:  Dingle Peninsula, Ireland and Peggy's Cove, Halifax, NS, are probably two of the most beautiful natural beauty places I have ever visited.  Anywhere in Italy, but two tops, Ravello on the Amalfi Coast and Florence, way outside of Florence proper, neighborhoods and small 6 table restaurants are to die for.  Bayeux, France, very small town, with tons to do, just outside of Normandy.  Find a table on the sidewalk, go for breakfast, stay for lunch and a bottle of wine, then just watch the locals do their thing.  

This is a Thread that is good to start up again! I personally won’t be heading to Europe until 2022, but when we do, will add a ‘land-only’ time prior and/or before as we’ve done many times. 

So where would I go back to or add as part of a cruise?

- Amsterdam. We spent 5 days there prior to a Rhine river cruise and would love to do it again. Did it on our own (not the pre-cruise line hotel/tours) and it was one of the easiest cities to get around in and the friendliest. 

- Cornwall. Spent a week in Cornwall area prior to a TA out of Southampton. Beyond Fantastic. Stayed 3N’s in Penzance with our rental car and toured western Cornwall; then 3N’s in a neat pub/hotel just north of Southampton and had a grand time. Driving was ‘fun’ but worth it. 

There are many other places would love to head back to that haven’t such as Malta.

Den 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

This is a Thread that is good to start up again! I personally won’t be heading to Europe until 2022, but when we do, will add a ‘land-only’ time prior and/or before as we’ve done many times. 

So where would I go back to or add as part of a cruise?

- Amsterdam. We spent 5 days there prior to a Rhine river cruise and would love to do it again. Did it on our own (not the pre-cruise line hotel/tours) and it was one of the easiest cities to get around in and the friendliest. 

- Cornwall. Spent a week in Cornwall area prior to a TA out of Southampton. Beyond Fantastic. Stayed 3N’s in Penzance with our rental car and toured western Cornwall; then 3N’s in a neat pub/hotel just north of Southampton and had a grand time. Driving was ‘fun’ but worth it. 

There are many other places would love to head back to that haven’t such as Malta.

Den 

LOVED Amsterdam!  Stayed on a small ship, had two apartment rentals plus the owners apartment as well.  Only spent 3 days, but crammed in so much and so easy to get around on their public transport.  The bicyclists, though oh my beware!!!

Any place in Italy, we first visited Tuscany off a cruise then spent 5 summers there with the kids! Venice we first were there off the ship then returned a couple of times to see the place properly. Istanbul wow another taste from a cruise then we had to go back! 

• Like 1