MSC Meraviglia & Preziosa - new round of cancellations

monsterl

MSC Preziosa

all remaining cruises from/to Hamburg have just been canceled by October 28, 2020 (including TA to Brazil).

According to the current status, the ship is going directly from Ocean Cay to Brazil, even though I am also skeptical that the Brazil season is taking place ...

MSC Meraviglia

also remains "over there" in the Bahamas. All departures from/to Hamburg in the period 01.08. - 05.09.2020 are now cancelled. The first cruise from Miami "after corona" is scheduled for October 31, 2020.

I was booked on the TA to Brazil. I should have known it was about to be cancelled since MSC customer service assured me on Monday it was a go 😒. Flights were through Air Canada Aeroplan, and they're waiving cancellation fees. I foolishly paid in full for the cruise --- not a lot of money (inside cabin). I only cruise in November, and only repositioning cruises, so I'll see what's on for Nov 2021.

Sorry to others who've had their plans changed for them.

LPD

16 hours ago, monsterl said:

MSC Preziosa

all remaining cruises from/to Hamburg have just been canceled by October 28, 2020 (including TA to Brazil).

According to the current status, the ship is going directly from Ocean Cay to Brazil, even though I am also skeptical that the Brazil season is taking place ...

MSC Meraviglia

also remains "over there" in the Bahamas. All departures from/to Hamburg in the period 01.08. - 05.09.2020 are now cancelled. The first cruise from Miami "after corona" is scheduled for October 31, 2020.

We are due to sail on Preziosa on 5 December from Rio but, as you say, I don't think the virus will improve quickly enough in Brazil for it to go ahead.

I hope I'm wrong though. Balance isn't due until early October so we have a bit of time to review and make a decision.

Edited by rool

I doubt there will be any cruises out of the US ports this year or Brazil, Celestyal cruise line have cancelled all cruises to March 2021, maybe they know something! Costa have cancelled more cruises also.

22 hours ago, monsterl said:

MSC Preziosa

MSC Meraviglia

Where has it been reported that cruises to Hamburg are cancelled? 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:37 PM, glittergal1 said:

Where has it been reported that cruises to Hamburg are cancelled? 

Now it is official: https://www.mscbook.com/shop/WelcomePage?catalogId=10001&langId=-1013&storeId=12260 (in dutch)

"Voor alle scheepsactiviteiten in Noord-Europa is de tijdelijke stopzetting verlengd tot en met 18 oktober 2020"

Edited by monsterl

3 hours ago, monsterl said:

Now it is official: https://www.mscbook.com/shop/WelcomePage?catalogId=10001&langId=-1013&storeId=12260 (in dutch)

"Voor alle scheepsactiviteiten in Noord-Europa is de tijdelijke stopzetting verlengd tot en met 18 oktober 2020"

Thanks took me a while to translate it, I wonder when they will tell the rest of the world? 

7 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

UK passengers reported receiving emails regarding Northern Europe sailing cancellations today. 

Yeah ... I got an email yesterday from the UK office advising that our Sept 2nd Preziosa cruise from Southampton has been cancelled.  At least they gave more notice than they did for our May last cancelled sailing which was only announced a couple of weeks before the due sailing date.  Maybe I'll be able to salvage our deposit after all.  (Hi Foxy - saw your acknowledgement of the post I'd submitted on this subject on another thread 😚)

• Like 1

Just to update ... we can re-use the deposit as long as the cruise is before the end of 2021 and we must book up to 48 hours prior to the original sailing date of the cancelled cruise.  We weren't planning on sailing next year (have an eye on a Feb 2022 cruise, though) so will have to decide whether to write the deposit off or re-consider a cruise we were looking at for Nov 2021 but had dismissed in favour of the 2022 one.

I had the Cancellation email yesterday. One week after payment of the balance!! So yet another wait for a refund. Only just got the refund for 22/04 sailing. I think we should have known before now. 

7 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Just to update ... we can re-use the deposit as long as the cruise is before the end of 2021 and we must book up to 48 hours prior to the original sailing date of the cancelled cruise.  We weren't planning on sailing next year (have an eye on a Feb 2022 cruise, though) so will have to decide whether to write the deposit off or re-consider a cruise we were looking at for Nov 2021 but had dismissed in favour of the 2022 one.

are you saying they are not offering a refund? 

6 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

are you saying they are not offering a refund? 

No ... we only had a deposit down - final payment was this week so was really delighted to get the email notifying the cancellation.  We've moved the deposit to the cruise in Nov 2021 that we'd been considering rather than lose the deposit.

In reply to your other post, we had booked directly with MSC and received the email yesterday.  In fact, they emailed both myself and DH.

Edited by Beamafar

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

No ... we only had a deposit down - final payment was this week so was really delighted to get the email notifying the cancellation.  We've moved the deposit to the cruise in Nov 2021 that we'd been considering rather than lose the deposit.

In reply to your other post, we had booked directly with MSC and received the email yesterday.  In fact, they emailed both myself and DH.

Thats why I asked if they had not offered a refund because you said you would lose it , the deposit had you not moved the cruise. Did they say that  you would lose the deposit  if you didnt ?

we have only paid the deposit too and will be expecting and requesting a refund . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Thats why I asked if they had not offered a refund because you said you would lose it , the deposit had you not moved the cruise. Did they say that  you would lose the deposit  if you didnt ?

we have only paid the deposit too and will be expecting and requesting a refund . 

I had expected to lose the deposit as MSC don't usually refund it to those in Ireland and the UK.  Final payment date had actually passed a few days before I received the email and I had already decided that we weren't going to go on the September cruise months ago so had written the deposit off.  Was delighted that the announcement was made in a timely fashion and that I was able to re-use it for a cruise next year.  The email does refer to a refund, though.  (It won't copy and paste for me, unfortunately)

• Like 1

Hi Beamafar - what crazy times!!  Hope you are well.

We too have been cancelled but I  have run out of cruises to rebook to! We were meant to sail on the Virtuosa on 18th December 2020.  Through this forum, way back, I was told she would be delayed until next year.  I contacted the German travel agent a few weeks ago; they said no delay and that the inaugural would be in November, as planned.  Lo and behold - last week I was finally told that Virtuosa had switched to Grandiosa!  We could accept the change, plus upgrade of cabin and 100 euros.  At the moment, we are not keen on flying so have requested a refund of deposit.  Not sure when we will receive it but hopefully by the end of this year........

We have also had Preziosa cancelled.  We were meant to be sailing on 21st October.  I only found out, again, through this forum last week that changes were afoot.  I checked my reservation online and it had an error message.  I got "formal" confirmation on Sunday.  On this however, they are only offering a transfer.  But as stated above, I have no room for anything else and am getting tired with all the switching!  Presently we have P&O Iona booked (Oct 2020, Queen Victoria (Dec 2020), Costa Smeralda (Feb 2021), P&O Ventura (Easter 2021) P&O Iona (Easter 2021). Grand Princess (Apr 2021), MSC Magnifica (May 2021), Anthem of the Seas (Aug 2021) and finally - Harmony of the Seas (Oct 2021).

What has everyone else rebooked from 2020 to?  Luckily these are really small deposits, so if we are not cancelled, and depending on the pandemic will just cancel ourselves as we wish to have a more stress free 2022 with only 3 cruises!.

2 hours ago, panamapd said:

Hi Beamafar - what crazy times!!  Hope you are well.

Hi, P.   Wow ... that's a lot of cruises booked!  We're fine, here - hope all is good with you, too.

I'd be very reluctant to book anything these days 'til I see how this crisis pans out.  The earliest sailing I'll book for is the Nov 2021 one that I moved the deposit to.  I have an FCC from a sailing on Meraviglia last year that must be used by mid-October;  I'm waiting 'til the last minute to use it to book for 2022.  It would drive me nuts to be changed from a different ship or itinerary the way MSC is changing things around at the moment.  Especially as it's so hard to get money back from them should you decide on a refund, instead.

With the cancellations and re-bookings I have been experiencing, I share your frustration.  At least for me, I think it will eventually work out. I do take solace in my knowledge that every cruise I have booked that has been cancelled also means one less chance of finding Mariner Boy in the cabin next to me.  Gone, but nor forgotten!  There is always a silver lining!😉

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 3