Have any crew heard about "returning to service" date?

Cruiseboy06

10 hours ago, blarko said:

Although I’m not friends with any shipboard staff, I do follow several of the entertainment staff on social media. Several of them have gotten jobs on land. Don’t know if it’s just temporary until they are called back by Carnival, or if they have no intention on returning to ship life. It’s so sad 😞 

At least they got jobs. Especially in the present economy, they could be a lot worse off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Also another Carnival line , Costa is restarting August but only for Italians at start and then Europeans so cruises in Europe look likely from August.

http://crew-center.com/costa-cruises-plans-re-start-voyages-7-ships-5-phases?fbclid=IwAR2Y_FsJ4bDOK9gkhn4ux_OVfQOfLBcqfToVBJd_bADtJqa2iCuNDRA30t4

I have a feeling that cruises in Europe will start a lot earlier than cruises from the US.  Europe (for the most part) seems to be doing a heck of a lot better with their infection numbers than the US.  If Europe can start up cruises and not have entire ships come down with covid, that at least makes me hopeful that cruising can start back up in the US if we get our infection numbers down. 

8 hours ago, TxShipShape said:

There is a YouTube video from June 29, some maybe corporates fluff but it is interesting.  Search

An important message from Christine Duffy of Carnival Cruise Line

After listening to Christine Duffy's message  I have a feeling there will be no cruises for rest of the year, or till late 2020,  They are still returning crew members  home 

22 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

After listening to Christine Duffy's message  I have a feeling there will be no cruises for rest of the year, or till late 2020,  They are still returning crew members  home 

After listening to Christine Duffy's message, I wonder what God I have managed to vex; she's not a very good speaker.  I'm way super better.  I should be president.

• Haha 2

On 7/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, travelhound said:

The Carnival Cruise line Aida is going to restart in August.  Therefore, October is probably a realistic start date for Carnival in the Caribbean.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/09/aida-cruises-return-sea-august-without-port-calls/5404227002/

How do you think October is relastitc?   I hope you are right as I have a cruise scheduled on the Horizon for NYE but Arnold Donald has publically stated multiple times that they will NOT resume cruising until social distancing is no longer a thing. I look forward to your reasoning.

10 hours ago, DrSea said:

I wonder if they will be hiring more doctors onboard. 

I'm going to disagree with some of my colleagues here and say that once they start sailing, they will do so with more doctors and nurses.  One of the things cruise ships have been pilloried for in the court of public opinion is the fact that they're perceived not to have enough medical staff for the amount of people on the ship.  Adding a doctor or two and a few more nurses seems to be good PR, if nothing else.

I also think there will be more telemedicine options and a beefed-up medical area (when they can find the time and space).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm going to disagree with some of my colleagues here and say that once they start sailing, they will do so with more doctors and nurses.  One of the things cruise ships have been pilloried for in the court of public opinion is the fact that they're perceived not to have enough medical staff for the amount of people on the ship.  Adding a doctor or two and a few more nurses seems to be good PR, if nothing else.

I also think there will be more telemedicine options and a beefed-up medical area (when they can find the time and space).

And add to that the medical center will have more hours that it is officially open.

13 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

After listening to Christine Duffy's message, I wonder what God I have managed to vex; she's not a very good speaker.  I'm way super better.  I should be president.

I have never met her, but people I know who have said she isn’t very personable. That probably at least partially relates to her speaking skills. However, I have heard she is a big advocate for squeezing every last dollar out of every passenger, which I guess she should be in her position.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Carnival is going to have a rapid Covid-19 test on the Aida ships, so I suspect they will do the same with most of their other lines.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Doubtful. I think more tele-medicine with doctors on shore.

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why?  

8 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Tele-doctors seems more likely so that they can provide services to any ship in need.

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

More doctors will be needed to manage patients on the vent. ICU medicine can get very stressful when you have to intubate, deal with tons of pressors, stabilizing crashing pts, and etc. Drs get fatigued too, and ICU pts need 24 hour care. Drs can't stay mentally sharp 24/7. So having more hands on deck would be very helpful. But it is very cost prohibited. Most cruise ship doctors are not intensivists either, so it can be even more stressful caring for patients in a field that you haven't done a fellowship in. 

One of my friends in the states is training in emergency medicine. He has virtual attendings where the intensivist is halfway around the world. It is a university program too. So I guess telemedicine could help with making crucial decisions. But you still need experienced hands intubating pts and throwing in lines when the pt is crashing and you don't have time to phone a friend when the patient is actively dying on you. 

This is where an experienced nurse practitioner/ICU nurse could fit in well.  1 md per 1000 guests/staff and 1 NP/Experienced ICU nurse for eah md.  Call/off shifts could be rotated.  Get some experienced LPN's to round out and that would be good coverage.

I am a retired ICU/nephrology nurse and have made many a decision to stabilize the patient until the md could get there or even call back.  More cost effective that way.

baf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

This is where an experienced nurse practitioner/ICU nurse could fit in well.  1 md per 1000 guests/staff and 1 NP/Experienced ICU nurse for eah md.  Call/off shifts could be rotated.  Get some experienced LPN's to round out and that would be good coverage.

I am a retired ICU/nephrology nurse and have made many a decision to stabilize the patient until the md could get there or even call back.  More cost effective that way.

baf

Do cruise lines use NP?

And 1 MD/1000 guests is still ~3-6 MDs per ship, which is sometimes less than than the usual 2-3 per ship. 

NOt sure, but they could/should.  ANd if you used NP's you wouldn't need as many MD's.  You could have teams of 1 MD, 1 NP and 2 LPN's.  The MD would leave an algorithm type order (like for ACLS)  to use when he/she not there.  The NP would only need to call the MD if algorithm didn't work for for situations not covered by it.  The LPN's could do the more routine stuff.  You would need peeps trained in ventilator management tho.  Hospitals use respiratory therapists, but MD's, NP's or critical care nurses could do it ( I have on night shift when the only RT was in the ED or on a code blue).  Would be very cost effective AND provide adequate coverage ( especially factoring in tele-medicine, which we didn't have).  This is just my opinion, but having worked as a nurse for 38 years with over half of that time in ICU...

baf

• Thanks 1

There isn't going to be any vents on board.  Beside medical research showing that non invasive breathing assistance is less risky to the patient and as helpful, any person deemed to required 24 care will be removed from the ship.  Carrying extra medical personnel removes passenger level cabins from service.