The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

So those who have been keeping up with the news know that last night was Steak Night at the Chez, and a good time was had by all.

First, an appetizer from la mer: seared scallops on a bed of pureed potatoes seasoned lightly with salt, pepper and a touch of paprika, chives for garni (you can charge more when you call it garni):

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.3d3d5f9a7c12a9033f4aa4572d039db2.jpg

Then, from la terre, the beast: 

IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.16a084cf105f106d3c50a94b20723eba.jpg

The finished product, portioned for two: 

IMG_0246.thumb.jpg.cd9d73dc9fdffba541285f2c1bba7852.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

So those who have been keeping up with the news know that last night was Steak Night at the Chez, and a good time was had by all.

First, an appetizer from la mer: seared scallops on a bed of pureed potatoes seasoned lightly with salt, pepper and a touch of paprika, chives for garni (you can charge more when you call it garni):

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.3d3d5f9a7c12a9033f4aa4572d039db2.jpg

Then, from la terre, the beast: 

IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.16a084cf105f106d3c50a94b20723eba.jpg

The finished product, portioned for two: 

IMG_0246.thumb.jpg.cd9d73dc9fdffba541285f2c1bba7852.jpg

I could reach right through my screen to nab one of those seared scallops. Delicately placed on top of the “garni” as you price-gouging chefs prefer to call it. 

Shout out to @Keith1010: I’ll be glad to take your portion of the Chez’s dead cow off your hands. I’m a team player kinda guy. 😉

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Does anyone know if any of the stores in California who are selling the Crystal wine ship out of state?

Keith

As you probably know, Texas liquor laws are "different". I know in the past that only certain vendors could ship wine and spirits to Texas. I'd bet you a bottle that even if they do ship, they can't ship to Texas.

Patty

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

As you probably know, Texas liquor laws are "different". I know in the past that only certain vendors could ship wine and spirits to Texas. I'd bet you a bottle that even if they do ship, they can't ship to Texas.

Patty

I've been getting hard-to-procure wine shipped to me for years, so I had the same thought Patty did.

Yeah, most of this is governed by the laws of the state being shipped to.  I looked at a mailer from one of the small CA producers I order from, and TX was on their shipping allowed list.  Kind of surprised me.  

Doesn't speak to the specifics of procuring C wine however.  For instance, TX may allow reception of out-of-state wines shipped directly from wineries, but not retailers.  It's a hodge-podge.  

18 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

I've been getting hard-to-procure wine shipped to me for years, so I had the same thought Patty did.

Yeah, most of this is governed by the laws of the state being shipped to.  I looked at a mailer from one of the small CA producers I order from, and TX was on their shipping allowed list.  Kind of surprised me.  

Doesn't speak to the specifics of procuring C wine however.  For instance, TX may allow reception of out-of-state wines shipped directly from wineries, but not retailers.  It's a hodge-podge.  

Yes every state does their own thing.

With that said I've had plenty of wine sent to me. That was not the case in Texas years ago but I've not had problems for quite awhile.

Thanks goodness because could you imagine if I couldn't get wine sent to me during the Pandemic.

Likewise when we first got here where we lived you couldn't get wine or alcohol but interestingly enough every house we looked at had a bar.  Go figure.  Also in our first town (well here they call them all cities) you had to join at the restaurant to be able to purchase a drink with alcohol.  In time the town/cities could vote to change this and our city did as did the next one I moved to and by the time we got here it was already done.  Driving 30 miles like we used to in order to buy wine was nuts. Oh well.

When I lived in Virginia we had to go to those ABC stores to buy Alcohol. Now in California you could get it all at food store, drug stores etc..,

My question though  is if anyone knows of anyone selling it who ships it.  I'll run it down from there.  The places that have been noted don't ship period unless you live near the store.

Keith

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Does anyone know if any of the stores in California who are selling the Crystal wine ship out of state?

Keith

Grocery Outlet is the store that had it.  Not sure if they still do.  I might go because I am doing a wine sponsorship for a charity event and that might be good

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes every state does their own thing.

With that said I've had plenty of wine sent to me. That was not the case in Texas years ago but I've not had problems for quite awhile.

Thanks goodness because could you imagine if I couldn't get wine sent to me during the Pandemic.

Likewise when we first got here where we lived you couldn't get wine or alcohol but interestingly enough every house we looked at had a bar.  Go figure.  Also in our first town (well here they call them all cities) you had to join at the restaurant to be able to purchase a drink with alcohol.  In time the town/cities could vote to change this and our city did as did the next one I moved to and by the time we got here it was already done.  Driving 30 miles like we used to in order to buy wine was nuts. Oh well.

When I lived in Virginia we had to go to those ABC stores to buy Alcohol. Now in California you could get it all at food store, drug stores etc..,

My question though  is if anyone knows of anyone selling it who ships it.  I'll run it down from there.  The places that have been noted don't ship period unless you live near the store.

Keith

Well, it could be worse. You could be living up here in Ontario! All alcohol sales are controlled by the provincial government, and the Liquor Control Board of Ontario is THE largest purchaser of beverage alcohol in the world! For all that, it is almost impossible for the average person to import wine from abroad without going through hoops within hoops, and then paying taxes that make it cost prohibitive! We have done tastings in vineyards all over the world. When they approach us to join their "Wine Club", we say we live in Ontario, and every time, be it California, Australia, New Zealand or Europe, they give a knowing nod and move on to the next person!

Having said all that, we have never cared for any of the C wines. Given all the great wines available in the US, I am not sure why anyone would want to go out of their way to buy them!😁

4 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Grocery Outlet is the store that had it.  Not sure if they still do.  I might go because I am doing a wine sponsorship for a charity event and that might be good

Thank you.  I had seen that on some post and looked on line but shipping is not an option to any state. Oh well.  If someone does find it at a place that ships outside the area please let me know.

Thanks,

Keith

Crystal sighting!!  Just arrived in Trieste aboard Oosterdam and just as we approached the port we were able to briefly spot one of the smoke stacks with seahorses  ❣️  So wonderful to be reassured our two favorite ships are not just a figment of our imagination…or a memory… they do still exist! Makes us all the more eager to book for next summer. Boarding Volendam tomorrow  to begin our crossing. If only we were boarding… well maybe soon:-)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ibis said:

Crystal sighting!!  Just arrived in Trieste aboard Oosterdam and just as we approached the port we were able to briefly spot one of the smoke stacks with seahorses  ❣️  So wonderful to be reassured our two favorite ships are not just a figment of our imagination…or a memory… they do still exist! Makes us all the more eager to book for next summer. Boarding Volendam tomorrow  to begin our crossing. If only we were boarding… well maybe soon:-)

Bon Voyage, although I know you will miss all the great enrichment you would have gotten on Crystal.

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2012 Crystal Symphony voyage from Montreal to New York which was paired with the Blount passage trough the Erie Canal.  On October 21 we visited Bar Harbor:

Roy

This was one week before Sandy struck.  Symphony was subsequently diverted from NYC, where it was scheduled to begin a voyage on October 31, to Charleston, where the voyage actually began on November 2.  I remember the incredible disruption this caused and how difficult it was to rearrange transportation under those circumstances.

I also remember being in line to board Symphony in Charleston...immediately behind you, Roy.  I believe we were the very first to board that day.  In the end, it was a great cruise, ending up in Los Angeles on October 18.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

This was one week before Sandy struck.  Symphony was subsequently diverted from NYC, where it was scheduled to begin a voyage on October 31, to Charleston, where the voyage actually began on November 2.  I remember the incredible disruption this caused and how difficult it was to rearrange transportation under those circumstances.

I also remember being in line to board Symphony in Charleston...immediately behind you, Roy.  I believe we were the very first to board that day.  In the end, it was a great cruise, ending up in Los Angeles on October 18.

Oops, I goofed.  This was actually 2011.

Roy

• Thanks 1

Symphony in Portland, Me on Oct 22, 2018.  I think this was the last visit to Portland of a Crystal ship.  Serenity was supposed to be here this year but...

I went to the dock and talked with the crew and officers - told them I'd see them in May in Tokyo. Crew was as always super to talk with.

IMG_0257.jpeg

• Like 3