The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 1/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, KenzSailing said:

No delay at all.  It's my land lubber understanding that cruise ships pay a premium for a fairly specific slot, while cargo ships are more flexible(those Ralph Lauren knock-off polos can wait a few days.)  We've been thru three times before, overall transit time was per the usual.  Our canal guide (not that great, BTW) said the cargo pre-entry wait time was up to six days.  But I wouldn't rely on that.  

Any way, we had smooth sailing.

Glad you had a nice cruise. But still kinda

ticked you were in my state and didn’t call or stop by. I would’ve sent Christmas leftovers home with you in my

Mom’s hand-me-down 60’s vintage Tupperware. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Glad you had a nice cruise. But still kinda

ticked you were in my state and didn’t call or stop by. I would’ve sent Christmas leftovers home with you in my

Mom’s hand-me-down 60’s vintage Tupperware. 

Welp, my apologies.  And I wish that we had, the experience would undoubtedly have been better.  The rest of the story: we spent an additional two nights in LA specifically to dine at a restaurant I've been jonesing in go to for years.  I snagged a rezzie there, even scored one of their limited servings of pressed duck. 

After all of that, we would have been better off with Mom's leftovers.  I even know how to burp Tupperware, and I promise we'd return it clean.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise comes with a bit of a strange story.  I was booked on a 32-day cruise on Symphony to Antarctica and back to Miami.  I did not want to fly from Baltimore in the middle of winter to meet such a major cruise so I came up with a strange workaround, sailing Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton and connecting with Queen Victoria for the start of their World Cruise, Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.  January 15 was a sea day from Ponta Delgada to Fort Lauderdale.

dawn0115.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise comes with a bit of a strange story.  I was booked on a 32-day cruise on Symphony to Antarctica and back to Miami.  I did not want to fly from Baltimore in the middle of winter to meet such a major cruise so I came up with a strange workaround, sailing Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton and connecting with Queen Victoria for the start of their World Cruise, Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.  January 15 was a sea day from Ponta Delgada to Fort Lauderdale.

Roy has been my "find interesting combinations for travel" inspiration!  Cars, trains, planes, ships, ferries....you name it and mix them up!  I sure keeps things fun and I'm doing such a trip this spring!

Thanks Roy @rafinmd!!  😊

~Nancy

• Like 6

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

Roy has been my "find interesting combinations for travel" inspiration!  Cars, trains, planes, ships, ferries....you name it and mix them up!  I sure keeps things fun and I'm doing such a trip this spring!

Thanks Roy @rafinmd!!  😊

~Nancy

The interesting thing is that today we have about 4 inches in snow and it's the most in about 2 years, but in 2016 we got almost 3 feet the day I would have flown out of Baltimore.  The only thing I saw of that storm was LONG lines at the customer service counter in Miami for people rebooking cancelled flights.  My Miami-Buenos Aires flight was unaffected.

Roy

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from yet another trip, this one from Baltimore.  I was on the Grandeur of the Seas January 14-23 of 2017.  On January 17 we were in Port Canaveral,

dawn0117.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is from my one and only 2020 trip.  On January 18 I arrived in Los Angeles on Amtrak's Southwest Chief before boarding Crystal Serenity for a World Cruise segment to Sydney.

dawn0118.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

On 1/15/2024 at 7:22 AM, rafinmd said:

dawn0115.jpg

Roy

I remember that sojourn.  At the time, I called it "the Royest thing Roy has ever Royed."  Still true!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Another sunrise from Queen Victoria on that Transatlantic before Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires to Antarctic to Miami.  January 19 was the last sea day before our first US stop in Port Canaveral.

dawn0119.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

24F at 1 PM here, about 8 inches of fresh snow on the ground, so I'm fighting back by wielding a hot stove.  Hot chocolate this morning, grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch.  It's Saturday, so steak tonight according to her majesty's wishes.  Life is good.

• Like 4