The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I'm hoping that colleges requiring vaccinations will make a difference.  I've been following the data and while overall cases are almost flat with minimal improvement the difference in the age distribution not only in cases but starting to come into play in death data is astounding.  The vaccine is making a big difference and without it we would be in a lot of hurt.  For example, the about 13 percent of the cases through November were under 20; last week it was 25%.  The vaccine is clearly making a difference.

I am scheduled for surgery May 14.

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 combination of Queen Elizabeth transatlantic and Crystal Symphony transpacific with a visit to Angkor Wat in between.  On April 24 Crystal Symphony was in Seward:

1stsun424.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is the first from another set of cruises.  In April-May of 2019 I sailed the Nieuw Statendam transatlantic to Amsterdam and returned on Queen Victoria/QM2 Keil-Southampton-New York.  April 25 was a sea day enroute to Porta Delgada:

dawn0425.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

The Michelin 2021 star ratings for DC came out last week and once again, nary a mention of the Chez. Wow, one lousy case of food poisoning, one single inspector, and they never forget.  And that was years ago.  And the guy lived.  I mean, sheesh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

The Michelin 2021 star ratings for DC came out last week and once again, nary a mention of the Chez. Wow, one lousy case of food poisoning, one single inspector, and they never forget.  And that was years ago.  And the guy lived.  I mean, sheesh.

I felt the Chez was equally slighted yesterday, when they were talking about cicadas on the radio.  The whole crew didn’t know cicadas were edible until that segment!?  How could locals be unaware of your pioneering work with Chez-to-table proteins?  (Yard-to-table?  Porch-to-table?  Driveway-to-table?  Anyway…) The Chez is truly America’s Noma, at least in my book.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

You and Glenn Close could be doing some serious bonding right about now....

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:22 AM, BWIVince said:

I felt the Chez was equally slighted yesterday, when they were talking about cicadas on the radio.  The whole crew didn’t know cicadas were edible until that segment!?  How could locals be unaware of your pioneering work with Chez-to-table proteins?  (Yard-to-table?  Porch-to-table?  Driveway-to-table?  Anyway…) The Chez is truly America’s Noma, at least in my book.

Vince

Warning of content that may cause a terrible impact to some food lovers...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210420-the-protein-rich-superfood-most-europeans-wont-eat

Interesting comment on prior uses for lobster, not how we think of it today...

Mr. Chez, always ahead of the curve!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

Warning of content that may cause a terrible impact to some food lovers...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210420-the-protein-rich-superfood-most-europeans-wont-eat

Interesting comment on prior uses for lobster, not how we think of it today...

Mr. Chez, always ahead of the curve!

One of my first lessons of traveling (like under age 5), was that personal preference of taste aside, a lot of what we consider “normal” or “gross” is simply a matter of upbringing.  My friends act like I eat crazy, unthinkable things, but I really wish I had exposure to even more things before I developed a psychological response to things like insects.  It’s a LOT harder to get past my reaction to certain insects (for example) now, but I know that wouldn’t have been the case if I had learned to eat them before I feared them or they grossed me out.  😞 

The “what you don’t know” rule still works on me though, as long as I don’t know what’s in there (and bugs contaminate a lot of courted food naturally), then I’m fine with it!  Dining in insects as a featured protein is a whole different ballgame though…

Vince

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

One of my first lessons of traveling (like under age 5), was that personal preference of taste aside, a lot of what we consider “normal” or “gross” is simply a matter of upbringing.  My friends act like I eat crazy, unthinkable things, but I really wish I had exposure to even more things before I developed a psychological response to things like insects.  It’s a LOT harder to get past my reaction to certain insects (for example) now, but I know that wouldn’t have been the case if I had learned to eat them before I feared them or they grossed me out.  😞 

The “what you don’t know” rule still works on me though, as long as I don’t know what’s in there (and bugs contaminate a lot of courted food naturally), then I’m fine with it!  Dining in insects as a featured protein is a whole different ballgame though…

Vince

A certain amount of it is just keeping an open mind. Last January on WC20 we did an "Eat Like A Cabo Local" tour in Cabo San Lucas. Our guides took us off the strip to the street food and taquerias where the locals eat. We had some very interesting and delicious food that evening, but we did draw the line at fried crickets!!😲😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today's lunch special at the Chez was a brined, panko crusted, air fried chicken breast sandwich.  So good it caused OLoPP to remark that I could get a job manning the Trident Grill on Crystal.  To which I replied "no thanks, those folks work for a living."  

It also makes me wonder how the crew recall is going.  A week or two ago I got an email from the Morton's steakhouse chain advertising openings for all positions, all locations, $250 sign-on bonus.  It occurs to me that restarting an economy is not like flipping a switch, but rather more like starting that sports car that sat in the garage all winter.

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from one of the last sea days of my 2019 Nieuw Amsterdam Transatlantic.  On May 5 I will disembark in Amsterdam and then make my way home from Kiel on Queen Victoria and QM2:

dawn0501.jpg

2 years earlier on May Day of 2017 I was on the Symphony headed South from San Diego when we met Serenity either just off or finishing her World Cruise.  Both ships had places to go so it was a brief but festive encounter:

approach.jpg

I watched as Captain Symonds pressed his finger on the tooter button:

saluting.jpg

She got closer and closer:

passing.jpg

closest.jpg

And she quickly faded:

farewell.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

2 years earlier on May Day of 2017 I was on the Symphony headed South from San Diego when we met Serenity either just off or finishing her World Cruise. 

"May Day."  Nice reference.

Gotta go, Kentucky Derby is about to post, it's going to be my ticket to the next world cruise.  I got a horse right here, his name is Paul Revere.

BTW, that's a reference to a song with the best title in the history of Broadway.  If you can name it without searching, dinner for two at the Chez is on the proprietor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Queen Elizabeth Transatlantic and Crystal Symphony Transpacific with an interlude in between at Angkor Wat.  On May 2 I had disembarked Symphony and changed trains in Chicago.  That morning I watched the sun come up over Lake Michigan:

dawn0502.jpg

Roy

• Like 3