The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

38 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Ok, this isn't exactly off topic, but I don't want to clutter up the threads of everyone being serious about vaccinations and all.

Just to point out: in the US Krispy Kreme has announced they will give a free doughnut every day, for the rest of the year, to everyone who has been vaccinated.

Yakov Smirnov voice: "is this a great country, or what?" 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/krispy-kreme-free-doughnut-covid-19-vaccination-card/

58 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Ok, this isn't exactly off topic, but I don't want to clutter up the threads of everyone being serious about vaccinations and all.

Just to point out: in the US Krispy Kreme has announced they will give a free doughnut every day, for the rest of the year, to everyone who has been vaccinated.

I’m 50% vaccinated. Wonder if they’ll cut a donut in half for me...? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I’m 50% vaccinated. Wonder if they’ll cut a donut in half for me...? 🤷‍♂️

The article says 1 shot is sufficient to get the donut so I don't think you need wait.

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I would have posted it there, myself...  This is a lot more helpful than a lot of the stuff we’ve all posted in the vaccination thread.  😁

OTOH, I previously wondered how someone could possibly travel so much as to physically wear out the vaccination card in just 1 year...  This totally answered my question.  Lol. ...Not to mention sticky.

Vince

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I would have posted it there, myself...  This is a lot more helpful than a lot of the stuff we’ve all posted in the vaccination thread.  😁

OTOH, I previously wondered how someone could possibly travel so much as to physically wear out the vaccination card in just 1 year...  This totally answered my question.  Lol. ...Not to mention sticky.

Vince

Assuming you're not still waiting you could go to https://md.myir.net/login/  and get a state certification, replaceable any time.  Same (with the proper state code for Arizona, Louisiana, Washington, and West Virginia.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Do they let you pick the one you want or do they give you the day old ones?  Just wondering.  🤣

12 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Cherry Blossom update:

Here in DC, we have reached peduncle elongation.

So jealous here...  We don't quite seem to be at florets yet here.  It's amazing the difference a few miles makes.  

Is the ground 64 degrees yet?  😬

Vince

34 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

So jealous here...  We don't quite seem to be at florets yet here.  It's amazing the difference a few miles makes.  

Is the ground 64 degrees yet?  😬

Vince

Nope, all is quite.  Which is frustrating because I keep penciling in the Chez's famous cicadadilla on the menu, only to have to take it off.  "Tastes just like chicken!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2021 at 12:29 AM, KenzSailing said:

I saw Homer Simpson at the vaccination clinic so the news must be true.

256-2562494_pink-simpsons-donuts-freetoedit-homer-simpson-hd-png.png

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, here in NA, the asparagus is coming into season. 

Relatedly, I have discovered how easy it is to make Hollandaise sauce in a blender.  Dietetically, this is like figuring out how to construct a nuclear device in your basement.  Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.  

Still...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, here in NA, the asparagus is coming into season. 

Relatedly, I have discovered how easy it is to make Hollandaise sauce in a blender.  Dietetically, this is like figuring out how to construct a nuclear device in your basement.  Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.  

Still...

My mother used to do this, and I thought it came out surprisingly decent.  Agreed that unhealthy food made more accessible is a double edged sword.  

My hollandaise routine has two speeds though — conventional scratch and Knorr.  🤭  I really would benefit from meeting in the middle with the blender version.

Vince

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from my first combination of cruises and the first time I did a live thread on Cruise Critic.  It was Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney followed by a Queen Victoria World Cruise segment Bangkok to Dubai.  On March 28, 2010, Queen Victoria was at sea from Phuket to Cochin:

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.e1821e30b49cde4768d4a7969e304633.JPG

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is the only one from a 2005 land trip to Africa with a safari and a journey on Rovos Rail from Johannesburg to Cape Town.  On March 29 I was in Cape Town before flying home the next day:

IMG_0154.JPG.f7257df7530898fd865473186bd

Roy

• Like 6

On 3/28/2021 at 1:08 AM, BWIVince said:

My mother used to do this, and I thought it came out surprisingly decent.  Agreed that unhealthy food made more accessible is a double edged sword.  

My hollandaise routine has two speeds though — conventional scratch and Knorr.  🤭  I really would benefit from meeting in the middle with the blender version.

Vince

We just use salted warm butter with our asparagus. May be this is something to consider? 😋

Ivi

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Interesting to note that NYK have ordered a new build for the Asuka passenger line, due for delivery in 2025

They have Myer Werft building it

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24673-nyk-orders-new-cruise-ship-at-meyer-werft.html

I've always wondered who they would sign the order with when they finally ordered another passenger ship.  NYK orders so few passenger ships relative to everything else, but they've had a bumpy ride with both inexperienced and experienced (with passenger ships) yards alike in the past.  I think Symphony was the only relatively smooth one of the 4 builds between both divisions.

Vince