The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2015 "Close to home" cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas.  On March 31 I disembarked in Baltimore and went home.

dawn331a.jpg

Roy

That's the tower over the warehouse on McComas and not Silo Point, right?  I'm guessing Silo Point would be further to the left off the side of the picture based on the location of the sun, but I've never actually been on a ship at that berth since it opened so I wasn't sure of the view.

I don't know why, but the Silo Point complex always reminds me of the silo across the harbor they used to film that scene in Ladder 49.  

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

That's the tower over the warehouse on McComas and not Silo Point, right?  I'm guessing Silo Point would be further to the left off the side of the picture based on the location of the sun, but I've never actually been on a ship at that berth since it opened so I wasn't sure of the view.

I don't know why, but the Silo Point complex always reminds me of the silo across the harbor they used to film that scene in Ladder 49.  

Vince

I'm not sure but would say most likely the McComas warehouse.

Roy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I've always wondered who they would sign the order with when they finally ordered another passenger ship.  NYK orders so few passenger ships relative to everything else, but they've had a bumpy ride with both inexperienced and experienced (with passenger ships) yards alike in the past.  I think Symphony was the only relatively smooth one of the 4 builds between both divisions.

Vince

Ah but I still think they got their money's worth in service out of the Harmony.  That will make 35 years.  Not bad.

Roy

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is the first from yet another combination.  In 2013 I sailed Queen Elizabeth transatlantic to Southampton, then had several days flying London to Angkor Wat and Japan for a Crystal Symphony trans-Pacific to Vancouver.  April 1 was my first morning out of New York on Queen Elizabeth:

dawn0401.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

Ok so if we're talking snow photos, here's the one from our cruise that stopped in Charleston, SC. This was January 3, 2018. Those who got off in Charleston had a heck of a time getting home.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AtA said:

Ok so if we're talking snow photos, here's the one from our cruise that stopped in Charleston, SC. This was January 3, 2018. Those who got off in Charleston had a heck of a time getting home.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

I am SO glad I had decided to get on in Fort Lauderdale.

Roy

I only have one sunrise for April 3.  It is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony, Crystal Serenity, Amsterdam from Bali to Fort Lauderdale.  On April 3 Amsterdam was at sea from Cape Town to Walvis Bay:

dawn0403.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is the last one from my first string of cruises, Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney followed by Queen Victoria Bangkok to Dubai. On April 4 we docked in Dubai, and as it turns out April 4, 2010 was also Easter Sunday.

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.c32a22568b7d49e358976

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is the last one from my first string of cruises, Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney followed by Queen Victoria Bangkok to Dubai. On April 4 we docked in Dubai, and as it turns out April 4, 2010 was also Easter Sunday.

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.c32a22568b7d49e358976

Roy

Were you sailing through pirate waters? It looks like barbed wire... never seen that before!

• Like 1

I don't think I did but from Dubai the ship was headed for the Suez Canal and those are pirate infested waters.  I noted in my blog entry that day that the wire was new and additional measures would be taken as the ship proceeded.

Roy

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

This caught my eye today: full page ad in the WaPo.

Tag line:

"Vegas Means Business"

It's interesting to see that in the WaPo!  That tagline is usually used for meetings and event publications and marketing channels.  OTOH, Washington is the largest "association market" in the country, since almost every association for almost every industry has DC-based employees, even if the association is headquartered somewhere else, so I guess that makes sense.

On another note, I just got back from a walk along the C&O canal up here for a couple of hours...  Today was PERFECT for it.  This is the most sun I think I've gotten in months.  :classic_blush:  ...And maybe the most exercise.

Vince

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

On another note, I just got back from a walk along the C&O canal up here for a couple of hours...  Today was PERFECT for it.  This is the most sun I think I've gotten in months.  :classic_blush:  ...And maybe the most exercise.

Are you willing to share anything about where you walked.  I spent a LOT of time there in my younger days and have both walked and biked the entire trail.

Roy

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Are you willing to share anything about where you walked.  I spent a LOT of time there in my younger days and have both walked and biked the entire trail.

Roy

Of course...  Usually I just start at the Monocacy Aqueduct, and pick a direction (more often north), and then just walk until I'm tired and turn around.  I grew up in Montgomery Co., so we would go to Swains Lock or Great Falls which are more interesting, but there is something I find really cool about the aqueduct, and it's nice and quiet up here.

Where are your favorite parts?

I used to hike Catoctin Mountain and Sugarloaf more, but the older and fatter I get, the more attractive the canal has become.  😏

Vince

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Of course...  Usually I just start at the Monocacy Aqueduct, and pick a direction (more often north), and then just walk until I'm tired and turn around.  I grew up in Montgomery Co., so we would go to Swains Lock or Great Falls which are more interesting, but there is something I find really cool about the aqueduct, and it's nice and quiet up here.

Where are your favorite parts?

I used to hike Catoctin Mountain and Sugarloaf more, but the older and fatter I get, the more attractive the canal has become.  😏

Vince

Paw Paw tunnel is especially interesting , any of the aqueducts, and I've often visited the area between 4 locks and Fort Frederick.

I grew up in Central New York, almost in the shadow of the Erie Canal.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Queen Elizabeth-Crystal Symphony combination that included trans-Asia flights with a side trip to Angkor Wat.  On April 6 was QE's last sea day before arrival in Southampton:

dawn0406.jpg

Roy

• Like 6