The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I'm going to try 2 in 1 here.  It's rare that I get a sunrise in an urban setting but I did get one on a July 29.  This was not really a Crystal trip but I have been there with Crystal.  Where is it?

dawn0729.jpg

Roy

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm going to try 2 in 1 here.  It's rare that I get a sunrise in an urban setting but I did get one on a July 29.  This was not really a Crystal trip but I have been there with Crystal.  Where is it?

Is it Anchorage?

Vince

Just now, BWIVince said:

Is it Anchorage?

Vince

Bingo.  The photo was taken on my 2018 Grand Alaska Panama journey but Crystal put me up there the night before boarding the Northwest Passage cruise 2 years earlier.

Roy

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Bingo.  The photo was taken on my 2018 Grand Alaska Panama journey but Crystal put me up there the night before boarding the Northwest Passage cruise 2 years earlier.

Roy

Very nice...  Your clues help frame it for me, but then I recognized the Hilton in the background.  That reminded me how much time I spend sitting through sales presentations.  😒 haha

Vince

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Dang!

I was wondering if perhaps it was Anchorage and your 2016 Northwest Passage expedition. But then I remembered it had departed from Seward vs Anchorage. Never thought to consider a Crystal pre-cruise hotel stay! 

I’ll use the excuse I’m on the West Coast and the caffeine hasn’t kicked in yet! Quite unlike the Maryland dude who’s two for two in this game, so far. 🙄

Speaking of Anchorage....I’ve been intrigued by HAL’s 14-day round trips from Seattle that sail into Anchorage proper. Have you sailed that itinerary w/HAL, Roy?

Edited by BEAV

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Speaking of Anchorage....I’ve been intrigued by HAL’s 14-day round trips from Seattle that sail into Anchorage proper. Have you sailed that itinerary w/HAL, Roy?

While I've been intrigued by that I haven't really seriously considered them, for much the same reason I long resisted Crystal to Alaska.  I'm not really interested in Alaska as a pure cruise destination; when I go I want to spend at least some time there on land.  Despite that I do have 2 Crystal Alaska experiences.  One was a cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver with a few Alaska stops.  Then there was the Northwest Passage which was almost a pure cruise experience with the Serenity Vancouver to Alaska.  When the ferry schedule came out I quickly went there and used the extra time for a Denali visit.

I know that 14 day cruise visits some out of the way ports and would be attractive for that.  There are a couple of down sides.  I know the Anchorage stop is an industrial port and not very attractive.  I hope the itinerary can survive as I'm not sure their newer ships can get into Anchorage.  Before COVID they had 6 ships that could do that passage but 4 of them have now been sold.

Roy

In addition to Seattle, the Maasdam did three 21-day round trips from SF last year (May/June). And as you said not the typical “Ho hum” of Alaska itineraries. 

I do agree with you about combining land and sea when it comes to Alaska. In 2018 we did a 19-day combo with HAL that included the Yukon. It was superior in every way. We went with low expectations, but were completely impressed with HAL’s land operation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Except that the sign is in English. Would expect Portuguese and then a smaller English sign. I'm usually a pretty good detective about things like that! 😛👄🤩

Patty

Good point!

True confession....I used Google and Wikipedia to come up with Brazil! 😱

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Except that the sign is in English. Would expect Portuguese and then a smaller English sign. I'm usually a pretty good detective about things like that! 😛👄🤩

Patty

Whilst it is native to northern S. America and Mexico, you’re correct in it not being Brazil.  However, it can now be found in tropical locations around the world and this one was definitely not Portuguese speaking....

Anne

5 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

Whilst it is native to northern S. America and Mexico, you’re correct in it not being Brazil.  However, it can now be found in tropical locations around the world and this one was definitely not Portuguese speaking....

Anne

The plot thickens.....

7 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

especially when you add French to the English....🤔🤔🤔

E235440B-9E0C-4E6A-81C5-E721CF18001C.jpeg

Anne...

Oooh - Seychelles? You were just there on Esprit, I believe. Google helped after you gave this latest hint...

Circling back to the food topic:

Here is a link about the lipstick tree with a recipe for puerco pibil (wonderful dish I just made in slow cooker w/ banana leaves) https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4119

2 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Oooh - Seychelles? You were just there on Esprit, I believe. Google helped after you gave this latest hint...

Circling back to the food topic:

Here is a link about the lipstick tree with a recipe for puerco pibil (wonderful dish I just made in slow cooker w/ banana leaves) https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4119

Yes it is - Mahe Island in the Seychelles..... 

Anne...

• Like 2