Admit Your Worst Cruise Ship Rip-Off Nightmare

For me it's a mistake I keep making.... it's having my credit card as the one paying off the balance at the end of the trip, which leaves the other half free to go on a spending spree in the shops on board knowing I'm footing the bill 😲

• Haha 2

OP here - Thanks to all for so far providing great tips and valuable information on how to avoid pitfalls.  All in all, these have been pretty tame compared to such horror stories as being late for boarding and left behind at a port, sailing during a hurricane, or being quarantined for weeks. 

Doesn't look like most of us have suffered a major dents in our wallets.  So far the biggest ding goes to @vegas7df for his 6 page bar bill.  Don't know what the total $$ was but it must have been more than the cruise fare for the entire family -- OUCH! 

I've missed a cruise after thinking flying in the morning of was a good idea but that isn't a rip off, just poor decision making on my part. 

Teeth whitening is an on-board rip off even if you use OBC.  I could have bought t-shirts to use as car washing rags for better value. 

• Like 2

I know alot of people knock prices of rccl tours. But I had booked a couple of tours from another cruise web site. 

First tour canceled one week before cruise. Saying overbooked. Kinda pissed, contacted vendor directly. They say they stopped using this vendor years ago. 

Next tour never showed for pick up. Yes I got my money back. But 2 wasted days. 

Now I make sure to book right with vendor or rccl. 

Plus canceled cruises never recieved refund of deposits from day resorts. 

We were flying to Miami on a Friday morning for a Sunday cruise. Airport was 70 miles from home. While unloading luggage for parking shuttle to airport, DW announced one bag was missing. She was very upset until she figured out that it was my bag that was missing. She had repositioned some things so I was left with a very few things.

That evening we went to Bayside Marketplace for dinner and shopping. Found some clothes, but there was not much of a selection for 70-year-old fat men.

When we got home, bag was sitting next to bed where I'd left it. At least she saved doing some laundry. Plus, I think replacing her stuff would have been more expensive.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, josephmz said:

We were flying to Miami on a Friday morning for a Sunday cruise. Airport was 70 miles from home. While unloading luggage for parking shuttle to airport, DW announced one bag was missing. She was very upset until she figured out that it was my bag that was missing. She had repositioned some things so I was left with a very few things.

That evening we went to Bayside Marketplace for dinner and shopping. Found some clothes, but there was not much of a selection for 70-year-old fat men.

When we got home, bag was sitting next to bed where I'd left it. At least she saved doing some laundry. Plus, I think replacing her stuff would have been more expensive.

Someone (definitely not my wife) forgot our toiletries bag one trip. Nothing like spending $10 on your only deodorant option that is $1.50 at Walmart. I think we spent about $50 in the shop to replace the essentials. It too was sitting  right where it was left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phabric said:

A friend thought the bottle of water in the cabin was free.  His bill at the end of the cruise had a huge $ for water.

My worst cruise rip-off nightmare is getting billed yet again for the bottle of water that was never opened, and left right were I found it. A few years ago RCI was billing about every third person for bottled water they never drank. Financially it was not worth the time to call, complain and finally get the $7 or whatever refunded. I think (hope) RCI has finally ceased that as an ongoing ripoff scam. 

• Like 2

We have 2.  

22 years ago my parents took my sister and her family and me and my family on a cruise out of PR.  Our youngest daughter did not like a lot of the portS due to poverty  and everyone coming up to sell something.  So we left her on the ship a few days (She was 12, but her cousins, all male were 14 to 18).  Before seeing your bill on the TV, you got an update mid curse under the door.   My daughter’s bar bill for 4 days was $270.  Strawberry Daiquiris (Maybe virgin) by the pool and every time they would melt, she would order another.  

About 6 years later and we are on a cruise with the kids.  The girls has cell phones and the oldest daughter was missing her boyfriend and her phone had no signal.  Youngest daughter said her’s did.  I said no as it was roaming, but she insisted she would not call when roaming.  Bill - $1,000.  They had company phones, so I guess a good deduction.  

• Like 2

Years ago, my Dad bought my Mom a topaz and diamond ring onboard the ship.  Turns out it wasn't a topaz.  It was a citrine.  On the other hand, he bought her a 18K necklace for $200.  As years have passed, that purchase was a steal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We have 2.  

22 years ago my parents took my sister and her family and me and my family on a cruise out of PR.  Our youngest daughter did not like a lot of the portS due to poverty  and everyone coming up to sell something.  So we left her on the ship a few days (She was 12, but her cousins, all male were 14 to 18).  Before seeing your bill on the TV, you got an update mid curse under the door.   My daughter’s bar bill for 4 days was $270.  Strawberry Daiquiris (Maybe virgin) by the pool and every time they would melt, she would order another.  

About 6 years later and we are on a cruise with the kids.  The girls has cell phones and the oldest daughter was missing her boyfriend and her phone had no signal.  Youngest daughter said her’s did.  I said no as it was roaming, but she insisted she would not call when roaming.  Bill - $1,000.  They had company phones, so I guess a good deduction.  

Ding Ding Ding - You are the winner thus far!  You top the $700 bar bill at $1,270. (or your daughter -- it's all in the family).  The Prize - a Strawberry Daiquiri cell phone cover for when cruising comes back and she can do it all over again -- at her expense LOL

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 3.31.49 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I once booked a flight home 2 hours BEFORE the ship even docked.

Sadly, this was not a rookie mistake. It was our 7th or 8th cruise!

OUCH - Were they nonrefundable tickets or where you able to change with penalty?

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

OUCH - Were they nonrefundable tickets or where you able to change with penalty?

I found the mistake 2 days! before we were to leave. I was able to change the flight but to the tune of $250 each. I was just thankful that I could find seats at the sort-of last minute. 

• Like 1

Our first two cruises we were young and liked knowing a cruise ex booking would not leave us stranded.  So like other, learned later on how inlated prices were.  What made this apparent was the advancement of interest and accessibility.   So now we book ourselves and arrange for transport and keep track of time: I always take my way to the ship 2 hours before departure because you never know.   Seen far too many fools running and some left behind.  

Rip off might be overpriced merch but the kids wanted momentoes, so whatever!  I save a lot on booze to bring back to Canada (duty free), it pays for other items.  

I'll always remember the first cruise walking about, 6 am debarkation, the bills wedged in doors.  Our neighbors had a book worth!  I was nosey (I prefer curious) and flipped to the last page: $3,400 (no specialty restaurants or drink packages then). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twangster said:

I've missed a cruise after thinking flying in the morning of was a good idea but that isn't a rip off, just poor decision making on my part. 

Teeth whitening is an on-board rip off even if you use OBC.  I could have bought t-shirts to use as car washing rags for better value. 

Friends of ours did that. All week they were complaining how their teeth and gums were so sensitive when eating and drinking.