March Refunds Only - is there a "big black hole"

cellfree

I was going to chime in:  Chase extended my claim period to 118 days due to COVID, but that still was outside the time frame to dispute my charges.  Chase told me my next option was to pursue legal action against MSC.  My friend who was supposed to cruise with us disputed their charges the same day as me but they had Capitol One.  They got their charges refunded by Capitol One 2 weeks ago.  If my refund ever comes, I will definitely be changing credit card companies.  I also tried the Better Business Bureau and had zero success.  I'm still waiting on my refund from March 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ken98230 said:

Positive.  Filed the claim and it was rejected because more than 60 days had passed since the start of the trip.

That is unfortunate. Bad enough to be screwed by MSC but you were doubly screwed by the CC company.

2 hours ago, Hsmorris said:

I was going to chime in:  Chase extended my claim period to 118 days due to COVID, but that still was outside the time frame to dispute my charges.  Chase told me my next option was to pursue legal action against MSC.  My friend who was supposed to cruise with us disputed their charges the same day as me but they had Capitol One.  They got their charges refunded by Capitol One 2 weeks ago.  If my refund ever comes, I will definitely be changing credit card companies.  I also tried the Better Business Bureau and had zero success.  I'm still waiting on my refund from March 15.

Yeah, I have Citi and they have been pretty good about this. I guess this puts things into perspective. Some people are completely stuck if they can't dispute the charge.

Thanks for sharing (both of you) and good luck with MSC.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, Hsmorris said:

....  I also tried the Better Business Bureau and had zero success.  I'm still waiting on my refund from March 15.

I tried the Better Business Bureau route as well.  At first, it seemed to be working because MSC responded to BBB and requested documentation.  Then, they asked for more time to investigate the matter.  I was offered the opportunity to reply that I was satisfied with MSC's response but, according to BBB, had I indicated I was satisfied, the case would be closed as resolved...so, each time, I chose to respond that I was not satisfied. However, after two more rounds of MSC replying "we need time to conduct a thorough investigation" with no further explanation or action, BBB finally sent an email to me saying the case was being closed as "unresolved" due to the failure of MSC to respond.  Essentially, MSC just delayed and delayed  until BBB gave up.  This is challenging for me because I truly enjoy MSC cruises and the entire onboard experience.   It's the administrative office that has proven to be beyond incompetent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Dexddd, started this thread in July, check into it every once in awhile, see you are still waiting, oh my, maybe this email address is worth a try - mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com. 

Already tried that email.  Received a message stating that the delay was not typical of  MSC and that resolving my problem was a high priority for the cruise line..then, nothing was done.  The response was disingenuous. 

As for the BBB approach, I agree that people generally wouldn't refer to BBB before booking a cruise.   However, I got the idea from CC and thought it was worth a try to see if it might prompt MSC to act.  I was wrong.   Google MSC BBB and you will see a litany of complaints from people who have not received refunds and FCC's.  Every story sounds the same.  Will a poor BBB rating have any impact on MSC?  Doubtful.  

23 hours ago, cellfree said:

Dexddd, started this thread in July, check into it every once in awhile, see you are still waiting, oh my, maybe this email address is worth a try - mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

21 hours ago, Bluewake said:

Already tried that email.  Received a message stating that the delay was not typical of  MSC and that resolving my problem was a high priority for the cruise line..then, nothing was done.  The response was disingenuous. 

As for the BBB approach, I agree that people generally wouldn't refer to BBB before booking a cruise.   However, I got the idea from CC and thought it was worth a try to see if it might prompt MSC to act.  I was wrong.   Google MSC BBB and you will see a litany of complaints from people who have not received refunds and FCC's.  Every story sounds the same.  Will a poor BBB rating have any impact on MSC?  Doubtful.  

I just sent them an email to see what garbage they'll send back, if anything.

Yeah, I doubt BBB carries much influence.

21 hours ago, Bluewake said:

I just did the search....WOW.... there are a whole bunch out there, many from March cancellations but a few a bit later all waiting at least 120 days.

• Like 1

Dexddd, not sure what avenue worked for me - my cancellation was mid-March - I made multiple phone calls, I was escalated several times, I did get agent to transfer me to supervisor two times, I emailed several times - eventually saw fees/taxes back on credit card - process started March and ended August 5. 

18 hours ago, cellfree said:

Dexddd, not sure what avenue worked for me - my cancellation was mid-March - I made multiple phone calls, I was escalated several times, I did get agent to transfer me to supervisor two times, I emailed several times - eventually saw fees/taxes back on credit card - process started March and ended August 5. 

Luck?

I have a TA so tried MSC but sent back to TA.  I've been on the replacement person because it seems my regular one is furloughed or worse.  MSC keeps giving agent it has been escalated.  So was everyone else on BBB.  I don't really believe there has been any interest by MSC to resolve this. 

Just wanted to give my update here

My mom had a cruise for 3/20, which was cancelled on 3/12. I called for a refund that same day.

I called every once in a while for an update, but nada. Then in June, I got an email that it could take another 3 months, so my mom decided to file a dispute with American Express. And we now have our refund 😃

On 9/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, cellfree said:

I just tried to send an email to this address and received notice that it was a "permanent error" and not available.  Are others still able to contact MSC with this email address?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Timber said:

I just tried to send an email to this address and received notice that it was a "permanent error" and not available.  Are others still able to contact MSC with this email address?

I sent one to that address recently and it didn't bounce, however it also received no response. The email I sent prior to that received an auto form response. I tried to use the 'contact us' form on their website, but when I chose 'existing reservation' from the form options, the submission failed. When I changed it from 'existing reservation' to 'voyager's club,' it sent. But it will probably go in the trash, since that's the wrong department. 

I'm at my wits' end as to how to escalate this further. I've got an amazing cabin at a great promo rate for 12/27 and if they can't get my FCC completed and applied in the next five days, the whole thing will be canceled. I've not wanted to go the credit card dispute route, because I'd rather cruise again, specifically the cabin and itinerary that I'm booked for right now. But if I can't go on it, then I will have the proof I need to show the credit card company that they did NOT provide a usable FCC and I am entitled to my money back now and not Dec 31, 2021. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I sent one to that address recently and it didn't bounce, however it also received no response. The email I sent prior to that received an auto form response. I tried to use the 'contact us' form on their website, but when I chose 'existing reservation' from the form options, the submission failed. When I changed it from 'existing reservation' to 'voyager's club,' it sent. But it will probably go in the trash, since that's the wrong department. 

I'm at my wits' end as to how to escalate this further. I've got an amazing cabin at a great promo rate for 12/27 and if they can't get my FCC completed and applied in the next five days, the whole thing will be canceled. I've not wanted to go the credit card dispute route, because I'd rather cruise again, specifically the cabin and itinerary that I'm booked for right now. But if I can't go on it, then I will have the proof I need to show the credit card company that they did NOT provide a usable FCC and I am entitled to my money back now and not Dec 31, 2021. 

Our final payment was due Monday the 20th for 12/19/20 cruise, we weren't thrilled to have to pay out of pocket for what should be applied from them. After being on hold for a long time, finally got through, partly because for some reason I have to go through the Canadian branch to get to the USA bookings. The phones automatically do this and it's annoying. 

A friend had suggested to ask 1st about the pending refunds and the exact amount of each refund that was due back, being each charge for everything such as cabin upgrades and the the individual on board services that had been paid on the original booking # that we were awaiting the refund for. When she started looking into it I first got the standard answer but I insisted on knowing the exact amount of each refund and that's when it got interesting. It turned out the full amount that was due back including the extras for the spa had been transferred to our upcoming booking, but weren't showing properly.

When I canceled in March, there was computer issues and I had to call to cancel everything as it wouldn't let me online. I rebooked for the new cruise not realizing what was going to happen with the cruise industry. The salesperson had to manually cancel the cruise and extras and put in a request to his manager to approve the transactions. When it didn't show paid after a week I called back and was told not to worry it was there and would be taken care of, that was in April.

The Customer Rep manually added the extra's to our booking and advised the booking was paid in full even though when I check it online it shows that there is the full amount due. I was worried that we'd lose the booking but she said the booking didn't look the way it should and she would have to get the payments corrected by the proper persons. Something had happened when the booking was cancelled in March and funds transferred that caused the credits to be stuck in limbo on the upcoming cruise and the extra charges were moved to the new booking instead of being refunded as they were supposed to be. Our upcoming booking now shows everything including the upgrade and spa package but still shows as full payment due. But at their end they see the full payment. I was told that I might have to call to get our boarding passes printed out but not to worry as she had made a note on our file.

Also they have been having trouble sending me emails for some unknown reason they aren't going through and they reroute them.

We would have lost if the money was refunded back to credit card in the exchange rate being less.

We can't be the only ones that this has happened to. Whoever, whatever, surely handled other bookings and didn't transfer and or cancel the funds correctly and left them in the black hole. Good Luck!!

8 hours ago, Big Timber said:

I emailed mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com. on the 18th and got the auto response but no other reply as yet.

Thankfully, I was able to get our refunds straightened out on the 20th, Cellfree was right they were in the black hole!

Was supposed to sail March 13th from Marseille France, actually arrived at Port and was told Cruise was canceled. Stranded in France with three senior citizens. Made it back home after four days of solid traveling (to and from California), and filed a refund claim through Expedia mid-March. As of today, still have not received my 100% refund. So far I have received  $0. I call once a month and I get the same story. I was told that there was an error in the processing, that it didn't have the right information, that I needed to submit a new form, that I was supposed to get refunds in various amounts, then I was told last that I'm going to get refunded with a check. Each month I'm told it will be 30 days when I get my refund, two weeks, 60 days before I get my refund. My claim has been expedited 6 times. MSC have failed to refund two cabins, 4 expensive drink packages, and 8 shows. I'm calling tomorrow to talk about the black hole and to see if I can clear out my old claim and start over since people are actually getting refunds that were submitted back in April May June July and so forth. When we when we first arrived home, I wanted to file a credit card claim but was told if I did that it would complicate things much more than if I wait for the refund. I shouldn't have listened to Expedia. But I did. Now it's way too late to file a claim. I'm a very patient person because I have a great understanding of the circumstances but this is getting beyond ridiculous. This was my first trip with MSC and I will never cruise with them after this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, juraspark said:

Our final payment was due Monday the 20th for 12/19/20 cruise

Our upcoming booking now shows everything including the upgrade and spa package but still shows as full payment due. But at their end they see the full payment. I was told that I might have to call to get our boarding passes printed out but not to worry as she had made a note on our file.

Also they have been having trouble sending me emails for some unknown reason they aren't going through and they reroute them.

I'm cheering and hopeful for everyone with a cruise booked this November and December. I hope that they sail as scheduled and that all is in order for you to board. I'll be one week behind you! 

Your story is crazy! I would be a nervous wreck to not having anything in writing to prove that I'm paid in full. My TA reassured me last night that she won't give up until all is straightened out with mine and that her parent agency is now involved with their MSC contacts. Even that is hard for me to wait and trust, but it's all I can do now.

Please keep us posted on your upcoming cruise.  I started another thread in this forum for 2020 Caribbean cruisers to share any info they get from MSC as the sail dates approach. 

5 hours ago, Orange Blossom said:

As of today, still have not received my 100% refund. So far I have received  $0. I call once a month and I get the same story. I was told that there was an error in the processing, that it didn't have the right information, that I needed to submit a new form, that I was supposed to get refunds in various amounts, then I was told last that I'm going to get refunded with a check. Each month I'm told it will be 30 days when I get my refund, two weeks, 60 days before I get my refund. My claim has been expedited 6 times. MSC have failed to refund two cabins, 4 expensive drink packages, and 8 shows. I'm calling tomorrow to talk about the black hole and to see if I can clear out my old claim and start over since people are actually getting refunds that were submitted back in April May June July and so forth. When we when we first arrived home, I wanted to file a credit card claim but was told if I did that it would complicate things much more than if I wait for the refund. I shouldn't have listened to Expedia. But I did. Now it's way too late to file a claim. I'm a very patient person because I have a great understanding of the circumstances but this is getting beyond ridiculous. This was my first trip with MSC and I will never cruise with them after this. 

I'm sorry you are still going through this! Good luck today!

• Like 2

I know...same old story, same type of post...

We are now past 6 months of waiting for our Future Cruise Credit and refund of port fees and taxes for a cancelled March 13th cruise.

Have made 16 phone calls, sent 5 emails, have been assured my case had been "escalated" at least 3 times, and even tried the BBB route...all to no avail.  MSC no longer bothers to respond to my emails and the phone reps just tell me nothing can be done until the Finance Office in Italy processes my request...however, they cannot say when/if that might be done.  MSC also "blew off" the BBB...their current F rating with that consumer agency seems to be of no concern.

Finally filed a credit card dispute as a last resort.  Still waiting to see if that will have any effect.

However, the manner in which MSC has managed my situation has led to one outcome.  I now have booked two cruises for 2021 on Celebrity.  

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluewake said:

I know...same old story, same type of post...

We are now past 6 months of waiting for our Future Cruise Credit and refund of port fees and taxes for a cancelled March 13th cruise.

Have made 16 phone calls, sent 5 emails, have been assured my case had been "escalated" at least 3 times, and even tried the BBB route...all to no avail.  MSC no longer bothers to respond to my emails and the phone reps just tell me nothing can be done until the Finance Office in Italy processes my request...however, they cannot say when/if that might be done.  MSC also "blew off" the BBB...their current F rating with that consumer agency seems to be of no concern.

Finally filed a credit card dispute as a last resort.  Still waiting to see if that will have any effect.

However, the manner in which MSC has managed my situation has led to one outcome.  I now have booked two cruises for 2021 on Celebrity.  

Vote with your dollars!

• Like 2

This is not my post- I am copy/pasting from a group I'm in: 

• Thought I'd share this information I received yesterday from a contact I have at MSC. I had heard a rumor 9/30 would be a push for a large chunk of refunds and I was inquiring if it were true. This is the response. Hopefully although just words it might offer a glimmer of hope.

"It is true that all past due payments are getting cleared up. We had a large batch that went out on Friday. It can take about five days for it to hit the client bank. Most of the reservations with our system issues were not in that batch (March sailings, a few weeks in April, etc). We were told we would have another batch going out this week and one next week, as soon as those remaining reservation are cleaned. We are getting closer to having all of this resolved very soon.
    The timeline has been sent to us from Gionni Onarato, our MSC CEO, so I have high hopes. Getting all of the past due refunds and FCCs cleared up is MSC’s number one priority right now."

Someone commented on that post: "and they are giving an apology letter with 25% off the next cruise...."

For all I know, the comment was intended sarcastically, as there was no further explanation. I hope it's true for some of you. My FCC case is still in progress.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

This is not my post- I am copy/pasting from a group I'm in: 

• Thought I'd share this information I received yesterday from a contact I have at MSC. I had heard a rumor 9/30 would be a push for a large chunk of refunds and I was inquiring if it were true. This is the response. Hopefully although just words it might offer a glimmer of hope.

"It is true that all past due payments are getting cleared up. We had a large batch that went out on Friday. It can take about five days for it to hit the client bank. Most of the reservations with our system issues were not in that batch (March sailings, a few weeks in April, etc). We were told we would have another batch going out this week and one next week, as soon as those remaining reservation are cleaned. We are getting closer to having all of this resolved very soon.
    The timeline has been sent to us from Gionni Onarato, our MSC CEO, so I have high hopes. Getting all of the past due refunds and FCCs cleared up is MSC’s number one priority right now."

Someone commented on that post: "and they are giving an apology letter with 25% off the next cruise...."

For all I know, the comment was intended sarcastically, as there was no further explanation. I hope it's true for some of you. My FCC case is still in progress.

Thanks for the update.  They do need to apologize for this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Thanks for the update.  They do need to apologize for this.

More of a rumor than an update, take it with a grain of salt. 

A later comment on the same post claimed that they (the agents) were told in April to always have that as an answer. “they are sending a batch out (say in 2 days from now), and it could take between 5-7 days to reflect on your bank account”. Also goes along with, “we have escalated your request with accounting and I see they have already received it for processing “.

It's so ugly that I can't really believe it. I'm really trying to give MSC the benefit of the doubt that this is all accounting/software issues. I've asked the commenter if they work for MSC, as that was the implication. Earlier in this thread I posted what my TA was told about my FCC at the end of July  - that they were releasing 90% of FCC's on July 27. And it sounded a lot like that stock answer. Especially since my FCC wasn't resolved by July 27. Or yet. My TA was told last week that "It is on a list to have that completed by our Senior Escalation Team."

Correction- my date was July 17. Someone else got the same story about July 27- see 

Edited by mamaneedsavacay
correction
  • Like 1