Cruise Critic News: CLIA: More European Countries Allow Cruising Restart; No Date Yet for U.S. Cruising to Resume

LauraS

• Administrators

(9:50 a.m. EDT) -- Ocean cruising , which has restarted in Germany and Norway, is set to begin in "several other important European states," according to the cruise industry's trade organization.  Speaking at a Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) roundtable discussion for cruise media, President Adam Goldstein said meetings ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9s-qnB66MF8

View the full article

Remember those draft EU guidelines that were released a short while ago?  Well if this quote from the article is accurate, it seems European return to cruising may be more of a free-for-all than a coordinated strategy....

"Goldstein said the restart was as a result of intense negotiations with the EU which had led to individual member states deciding when and how"

I guess you can take this approach with these initial "cruises to nowhere", but it would be a nightmare when cruises start visiting multiple ports in multiple countries.

33 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I guess you can take this approach with these initial "cruises to nowhere", but it would be a nightmare when cruises start visiting multiple ports in multiple countries.

And carrying multiple “nobody can make me wear a mask yahoos”.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mnocket said:

"cruises to nowhere"

Pardon my ignorance ...

Is a '"cruise to nowhere" simply a cruise wherein one does not visit any ports? One just sails around on the ship without getting off anywhere? That is what I understood from the article. Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Pardon my ignorance ...

Is a '"cruise to nowhere" simply a cruise wherein one does not visit any ports? One just sails around on the ship without getting off anywhere? That is what I understood from the article. Am I missing something?

Yes, here is the itinerary map of two Aida cruises....

HAM04092_de-DE.gif

WAR04043_de-DE.gif

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Seems that Aida also have a cruise from Germany to Norway scheduled for 15th August.

Must try to book it and see if it is still German Nationals only!

Seems to be only for German, Austrian or Swiss nationals.

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Remember those draft EU guidelines that were released a short while ago?  Well if this quote from the article is accurate, it seems European return to cruising may be more of a free-for-all than a coordinated strategy....

"Goldstein said the restart was as a result of intense negotiations with the EU which had led to individual member states deciding when and how"

EU "decisions", which the Healthy Gateways is a part of a decision, will be binding on member nations, but relies on each member nation for how to implement.  So, each nation needs to make their determination on how to meet the interim guidelines posted a few days ago, and then cruise lines will have to coordinate with each nation as to the requirements in each country when the line wants to add ports in that country to their itineraries.  No different than before covid.

54 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

EU "decisions", which the Healthy Gateways is a part of a decision, will be binding on member nations, but relies on each member nation for how to implement.  So, each nation needs to make their determination on how to meet the interim guidelines posted a few days ago, and then cruise lines will have to coordinate with each nation as to the requirements in each country when the line wants to add ports in that country to their itineraries.  No different than before covid.

Does each nation publish their implementation requirements?  If so, where can we find Germany's requirements?

14 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Seems to be only for German, Austrian or Swiss nationals.

Are you sure? I'm Belgian but did recieve an e-mail from my TA promoting these cruises on both TUI and AIDA. This was a week ago though

Edited by Jasper95

2 hours ago, Jasper95 said:

Are you sure? I'm Belgian but did recieve an e-mail from my TA promoting these cruises on both TUI and AIDA. This was a week ago though

Not certain at all!  I know that I cannot book one as website won't accept Irish post code or phone number.  Same for UK.

I just looked at the drop down menu and Germany, Austria and Swiss were offered as the first three options and then others were in alpha sequence.

Out of interest.......would you try one of the cruises?  

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Not certain at all!  I know that I cannot book one as website won't accept Irish post code or phone number.  Same for UK.

I just looked at the drop down menu and Germany, Austria and Swiss were offered as the first three options and then others were in alpha sequence.

Out of interest.......would you try one of the cruises?  

I'll have a look later this afternoon and let you know,!

To be fair I think we'll (try to) steer clear of cruising during this high summer as I don't believe we'd really enjoy it right now, one of the main reasons we love cruising is the sightseeing/locations you visit (I always compare it to taking a roadtrip without all the re-packing..) and with this in mind don't believe it'd be our cup of tea.

We are thinking about a last minute sun vacation in September if nasty COVID-19 allows, whether this would be a cruise or an all-in, we're still undecided. Ideally we wanted to go visit my OH's mother in South-Africa as she has been in lock down since beginning of April and it seems they are not re-opening the borders anytime soon (speak is beginning of 2021, so our annual meetup for Christmas is on the shambles too). 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:47 AM, VMax1700 said:

Yes, here is the itinerary map of two Aida cruises....

HAM04092_de-DE.gif

WAR04043_de-DE.gif

What the point, on a crowded ship with second rate entertainment, overcrowded pool, buffet and a limited sit down dining.  

Almost in any major city you can get better entertainment, less crowded pool, and far better food, maybe cost more, but always better.   

Then there is the risk, as low as things are, all it takes is one person out of few thousand got the virus and soon everyone will have it.

Edited by chipmaster

1 hour ago, jocap said:

The TUI Mein Schiff 2 sailed yesterday, and appears to be doing a similar route as the first Aida. 

I checked on marinetrafficglobal and it sailed to Kristiansand, spun around in the harbour a few times and sailed out again, destination now Hamburg. It did not dock.

All now out of date?

As of tonight UK has reimposed quarantine restrictions from Spain, so normal travel has been knocked back further

Cruises are months off return, looking more like spring 2021 than earlier.

US citizens are still not accepted into much of Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Good opportunity to test out all the new safety measures on cruise ship and see which work and which don't, then refine from there. Definitely a positive step forward.

Agreed, need to test out plans if possible before moving forward.  For example, I am a volunteer on a heritage steam railway which we are planning to reopen to the public in August, so next week we are running three trains a day using only railway staff as passengers to find out if the safety plans are robust, and alter them if not.  Seems sensible?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

All now out of date?

As of tonight UK has reimposed quarantine restrictions from Spain, so normal travel has been knocked back further

Cruises are months off return, looking more like spring 2021 than earlier.

US citizens are still not accepted into much of Europe.

And the UK FCO advice is still no ocean cruises, so UK passengers cannot get insurance. Plus many have no intention of getting back on a cruise ship yet until we see what those "stringent health protocols" really are (i.e, what they actually do, not what they all say they will do).

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, chengkp75 said:

A member nation can forbid a cruise ship from docking regardless of what the EU decides.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, K32682 said:

A member nation can forbid a cruise ship from docking regardless of what the EU decides.  

Never said they couldn't.  EU allows for more stringent regulations by member nations in their own nation, but an EU decision is the minimum that can be implemented.

• Like 1